• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Type 1 Slipping into Financial trouble?

That was what was suggested to me yesterday. A quick Google search didn't turn-up any obvious references to financial mismanagement, but I did discover a shocking series of tweets from someone who seems likely to have a direct connection to the team. She basically said that the team was broke, salaries would not be suspended, but operating expenses would see almost the entire remaining racing calendar suspended, and hitherto professional riders would have to pay out-of-pocket in order to compete in the remaining races.

Read more, here: http://is.gd/dNXIA

dO4s2

Unfortunately, not unprecedented to some degree, but an utter effing nightmare for anyone in that situation. Talk about the end of the dream, or being biatch-slapped back into a very nasty, ugly reality.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
You don't seem to mention who you are quoting from Twitter.

I have a soft spot for team type 1... being that I am a type 1 diabetic. I always thought the idea of them racing in the Giro was a little far fetched... they just don't have the talent level needed. They also seemed to be expanding in way too many directions (Pro team, development team, elite team, womens team, triathlon team, RAAM).

I hope the team stays together. Phil's also a fellow UGA grad as well as a fellow type 1 diabetic... I'd like to see him do well.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
Very low blow.

Yeah... I'm not laughing very much at that. Going to make another snide comment about kidney transplants or going blind while you're at it? How about a painful death from diabetic ketoacidosis.

You're a real funny guy.

Update, more quotes

this_is_edie said:
the team is racing in Rio right now, are you saying that the riders paid their own way?

I'm not saying anything. I'm asking here if anyone knows more details about what's been said about the team's mgmt. It could very well be that the person making these claims has an agenda that I don't know about.

I wasn't trying to write an investigative report and didn't want to contact the team and force them to reply if there was more scuttlebutt out there that could be shared first. Sounds like no one knows anything? :confused:

kurtinsc said:
You don't seem to mention who you are quoting from Twitter. I have a soft spot for team type 1... being that I am a type 1 diabetic. I always thought the idea of them racing in the Giro was a little far fetched... they just don't have the talent level needed. They also seemed to be expanding in way too many directions (Pro team, development team, elite team, womens team, triathlon team, RAAM)...

I don't believe I need to name the person here. A simple search will allow you to find the tweets on your own.

But speaking of which, here are some more:

# He wants to go to the Giro 2011, yet can't afford to send a team to NRC Races. Good Luck *** Clown. Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:26:31 AM via web

#Trivia Question: What U.S. based Team @ Cascade Classic has 4 riders that are paying their own way ? Nice ****ing budgeting Phil.

# Phil, notice the smell in the air ? That's TT1 burning down faster than Atlanta. Had the chance to put the fire out, you let it burn down ! 5:22 PM Jul 18th via web

#Hey Mr. CEO of TT1, no Team at Cascade or Boise+no money for racing, but enough to rack up FF miles for ya ! Way to go AssClown 5:15 PM Jul 18th via web

# Poor, poor PS of Team Type 1 left Kendal on Plane now has to buy new one. *** Clown just burn more cash you globe trotting SOB 6:21 PM Jul 10th via web

# Definition of a *****: http://www.teamtype1.org/teams/leadership/janna_davidenko Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:25:31 PM via web

# Poor, poor PS of Team Type 1 left Kendal on Plane now has to buy new one. *** Clown just burn more cash you globe trotting SOB Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:21:15 PM via web

# From PS@TT1 I'm spending every ****ing dime left in the TT1 bank globe trotting around the world. Sorry guys, please race on your own now. Friday, July 09, 2010 10:11:27 AM via web

# WTF, TT1 spent all the money on a globe trotting CEO and over paid DS & now riders are racing on their own dime. Shades of RR & MB #cycling 8:05 PM Jul 5th via web

# Not Rock Racing ! Guess Again #cycling 7:58 PM Jul 4th via web

# What Pro Domestic team has run out of money and cut their schedule thanks to **** poor management ? #cycling Sunday, July 04, 2010 7:57:26 PM via web

# What kind of Team takes credit for results that riders paid their own way ? #cycling Somebody is paying the CEO and DS guys way too much ! 7:52 PM Jul 4th via web

kurtinsc said:
You don't seem to mention who you are quoting from Twitter.

I have a soft spot for team type 1... being that I am a type 1 diabetic. I always thought the idea of them racing in the Giro was a little far fetched... they just don't have the talent level needed. They also seemed to be expanding in way too many directions (Pro team, development team, elite team, womens team, triathlon team, RAAM).

I hope the team stays together. Phil's also a fellow UGA grad as well as a fellow type 1 diabetic... I'd like to see him do well.
I lost my soft spot for Team Type 1 after the Willem van der Eynde horror story.

And that was the 'Italian' (he's Belgian) guy Race Radio was referring to

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If is true, is going to be a shame. TT1 has a soft spot in me cause I saw Aldo Ino Ilesic winning the first stage of the Vuelta a Mexico Telmex few monts ago in Veracruz.