• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teejay Van Garderen Clinic Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Granville57 said:
But then these guys are the first ones to start whining when someone questions their accomplishments, or the state of the sport in general.

If TJ doesn't care about perception, or thinks it's perfectly fine to go on dates with Lance, then I expect he also won't mind when on forums and Twitter question the authenticity of his team and other people who he is associated with.

I hear plenty of moaning from the new guys about how things have changed, and how the past is the past. Play dates with Lance don't exactly inspire confidence in me if that were the case.

These guys may not care about the public perception of their actions, but then when questioned, what we mostly get from them is indignation. Well, sorry fellas, but you can't have it both ways. Walk the walk, or STFU.

see, i pretty much agree here, but like i hinted at in my original post, if there's already proven dopers running teams and it's still not a big deal, stuff like this will never, ever be a big deal to the mainstream cycling "clean generation" touting media. i'm sure Tejay knows that and simply doesn't care what is written about him on some forum somewhere, as correct as such criticism might be, otherwise he wouldn't be posting pictures of it. it seems stupid to us but to him he's most likely thinking "literally nobody is going to care" and he's right.

it doesn't help convince The Clinic of his authenticity but the majority of casual cycling fans and most journalists believe the whole peloton found god in 2006/2008/2012 or whenever it was and is now squeaky clean.

personally, i don't even think he's clean. of course, there's no evidence of this other than "finished 5th at the tour de france (twice)", but that's usually a pretty good bet.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
zlev11 said:
if there's already proven dopers running teams and it's still not a big deal, stuff like this will never, ever be a big deal to the mainstream cycling "clean generation" touting media.

Understood. Although I'd like to think that at least some healthy cynicism does exist behind-the-scenes regarding Vino, Riis, Och, etc, even in the halls of the most glassy-eyed media mainstream cycling media outlets. They probably just feel limited in what they can express publicly, and of course "clean cycling" is better for business (as well all know. Not trying to be patronizing here).

The difference though, to me, is that a guy like TJ, if he wants to be a pro cyclist, may just have to face the reality of having to work alongside, or under the guidance or, people with questionable pasts. He wants a job, a career. I get that.

But cozying up to Lance is entirely optional. So that's where I think such behavior is flawed. Same goes for Froome and Levi, although in Froome's case it would appear to be even stupider. The Dawg is a champion, an international star. He's won the biggest event the sport has to offer. What could he possibly have to gain by riding with Levi?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The Hitch said:
Froome rode with Levi? And here I thought Walsh said that sky have such an anti doping mentality they rip up pictures of dopers if they see them.

And when people questioned it, the Froome defenders were out in full force. I was going to ask if we see those same people defending TJ, but the answer is probably obvious.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Think Alex Howes kinda said it best:

Where we stay in our little bubble, how we relate to the rest of population, I don’t know.
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...ran-fondo-hincapie_349986#8QbucVaiBW8rMxrp.99

Basically these guys are little boys who have lived most of their lives in a bubble. They get media attention and a public voice cause they ride bikes fast. Otherwise most of them have limited life experience outside of the time they ride/eat/sleep. And many have shown to be just not all that bright to begin with.

Kinda pathetic in this article Teejay lecturing on how the usps guys should be forgiven. Easy as he was not one who had to give up his career cause he was not prepared to life a life of lying and cheating. How insulting to those guys who lost out on careers, experiences and their dreams.

These young guys think they playing a part in some sort of "rehabilitation" and reintegration back into the sport for these guys? Huh, these guys (- LA) never lost a thing, and 6 mo in the off season is hardly leaving the sport for any meaningful period of time. Welcome back????...they never left!

Anyway with serial liars and manipulators like Och and JV as the ones shaping the next generation of US riders what's one to expect.

For the most part this generation has shown ethics and an ability to make good judgements no different than the generation before it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Same goes for Froome and Levi, although in Froome's case it would appear to be even stupider. The Dawg is a champion, an international star. He's won the biggest event the sport has to offer. What could he possibly have to gain by riding with Levi?

Bottles...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Sounds like Lance is still every bit as concerned about public perception—as he always has been, and always will be.

The article makes this clear. He is trying to reshape the narrative. Lance does not even try to pretend that he is not, he is upfront about it. "The Media wants a new story now" ......then he gives the same talking points as his others interviews.

I don't think training with TJ is that big a deal. Yeah, making it public in an interview designed to help reshape the narrative is kinda funny but I can see why TJ might train with him. Regardless of all the crazy stuff lance does know bike racing and TJ still needs to learn.

Race Radio said:
The article makes this clear. He is trying to reshape the narrative. Lance does not even try to pretend that he is not, he is upfront about it. "The Media wants a new story now" ......then he gives the same talking points as his others interviews.

I don't think training with TJ is that big a deal. Yeah, making it public in an interview designed to help reshape the narrative is kinda funny but I can see why TJ might train with him. Regardless of all the crazy stuff lance does know bike racing and TJ still needs to learn.

And we all know, Wonderboy DEFINITELY knows a lot about doping, and how to beat the system.;)

IMO, I disagree. I think it paints a bad picture for TJ, a "guilt by association" scenerio, from a sport that claims they want to clean up it's act and doesn't want anything to do w/Wonderboy, they sure seem willing to allow Wonderboy to still poison the sport in having anything to do with it, this is a bad move on everyone's/ TJs part IMO.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Or Och with Freddy Viaene as head soigneur.

If TJ wanted to doped he does not need to go to Lance, there are plenty of people on his team who can show him
and Landis was sure he still never did testo that 2006... I thought Freddy just put testo in his massage oil, or Floyd lied again... because the CIR tests showed the metablites from exogenous testo over multiple stages, which prolly would have half-lifed evaporated for the tests...

i like his go fast massage oil special, dont know about you

Freddy's Choice is the Breakfast of Champions. fark weeties
f4dytd.jpg

FreddyMuscleRelax.jpg

0700freddychoice.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Or Och with Freddy Viaene as head soigneur.

If TJ wanted to doped he does not need to go to Lance, there are plenty of people on his team who can show him
and Landis was sure he still never did testo that 2006... I thought Freddy just put testo in his massage oil, or Floyd lied again... because the CIR tests showed the metablites from exogenous testo over multiple stages, which prolly would have half-lifed evaporated for the tests...

i like his go fast massage oil special, dont know about you

Freddy's Choice is the Breakfast of Champions. fark weeties
f4dytd.jpg
FreddyMuscleRelax.jpg
0700freddychoice.jpg

no matter what it is an unbelievably stupid move. tone deaf.

the real problem is, even if one thought that TJ's early demonstration of GT ability, slow growth and lack of any explosive dominant result, were evidence of a natural "dope-free" progression -- now any good result will be put through the lens of this stupidity and doubts will be raised.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Have some posters forgotten the BMC massuese caught with 200 vials of EPO a couple of years ago? BMC clean, Ballan, Santambrogio not ring any bells?

Och FFS, Rihs FFS, Testa FFS......not a clean team.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Have some posters forgotten the BMC massuese caught with 200 vials of EPO a couple of years ago? BMC clean, Ballan, Santambrogio not ring any bells?

Och FFS, Rihs FFS, Testa FFS......not a clean team.

Exactly. Which is why I don't think it is that big a deal if TJ hangs out with one more doper. He already hangs out with a bunch of them.......as do many riders in the sport.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Exactly. Which is why I don't think it is that big a deal if TJ hangs out with one more doper. He already hangs out with a bunch of them.......as do many riders in the sport.

What if he started hanging out with good dopers like JV?

the sceptic said:
What if he started hanging out with good dopers like JV?

In that case we would get some different reactions.

some would say :"why ride with a guy who is banned from all sports?" (when he rides with Lance)

some others would say: "why ride with JV? he's as bad as Lance, he's a liar"

some others would say: "nice to see TJ ride with JV, he has a clean stance about doping"

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
no matter what it is an unbelievably stupid move. tone deaf.

the real problem is, even if one thought that TJ's early demonstration of GT ability, slow growth and lack of any explosive dominant result, were evidence of a natural "dope-free" progression -- now any good result will be put through the lens of this stupidity and doubts will be raised.
How about Pinot training with Virenque?

TJ training with the Lance man only shows cyclists dont give a fock. And to be fair, why should they. They are surrounded by dopers, former dopers, reformed dopers.

A self fulfilling prophecy.

Why didnt Rabo give him a contract?

TRENDING THREADS