• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teflon dopers

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Yes, but I'd argue there wasn't a test to defeat for those athletes. That was a really different time. If you think anti-doping is shrouded in secrecy now (it is), then that era was 100 times more secretive.

I'd argue the same for Indurain.

Sure. But Riis has confessed, and has still kept his (asterisked) palmarès, and is still persona very much grata within the sport.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
This whole fast-man-turned-road-captain thing is getting on my nuts: Cooke, O'Grady, and now Paolini, Petacchi, Hondo, Ventoso, Eisel.

Knowing where to be in the bunch and when has clear value for GC contenders but some of these guys who can ride on the front all day in the Alps or the Dolomites are just taking the ****.

86TDFWinner said:
Yeah, Big Mig & how he's not been seriously investigated, has always escaped me too, as to why/how he hasn't been busted. What positive(s) are you talking about btw?(I honestly do not know).

I think Miggy is a doper, that's MY personal opinion. Regardless of the SOL, I think they at least need to maybe re-examine him.

I think there are hundreds of names of that era but who will come forward with the evidence. There are no gains only losses for the people who can come forward. There are no Floyd Landises or Tyler Hamiltons out there with nothing to lose. The main people the Managers & DSes who remain in power till now who have a lot to lose and will threaten, bribe cajole the people who can come forward. Even Ullrich and Pantani & Basso were not exposed by people but by testing and law enforcement. LA messed up because he didnot take care of his people. I donot think a hardcore doper is going to have any ethical issues with doping. Its just like having tea or coffee:rolleyes:.

Floyd Landis going alien in the 2006 Tour was memorable up there with some of Virenque's mountain moments. But of course neither is a Teflon. Same with some of Froome's tricycle moments in the mountains in 2013. Not sure I have seen someone pedal that fast on a mountain before.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Fagniniwins said:
This whole fast-man-turned-road-captain thing is getting on my nuts: Cooke, O'Grady, and now Paolini, Petacchi, Hondo, Ventoso, Eisel.

Knowing where to be in the bunch and when has clear value for GC contenders but some of these guys who can ride on the front all day in the Alps or the Dolomites are just taking the ****.

I think the first I saw it do it with unpeered aplomb was the norwegian on Sky,

Kurt Asle Arvesen, who was also a pretty good sprinter, see some stage around 2005, when Mcewen won, it was around a bend, Mcewen went early. The bunch is coming around the turn, it was an arc finish, and Boonen went off and jumped hoping to get into Mcewen's slipstream albeit about 8 lengths behind him, and he crossed KAA front wheel, KAA hits the asphalt like Graeme Brown had put him down. Or Graeme de Bruijn.

The other best road captain, besides KAA and Rogers and Hincapie, is the engine from Sky, the Lithuanian or Latvian who won a gold medal at athens in the points race, good timetrialler, whats his name?

Vasil Kiryienka, no, hes from Belarus. not the L states. thanks googles, thanks Sky.

I reckon I could make a gun team out of KAA, Kiryienka, Hincapie, OGrady, Eisel, then we need one or two climbers. Lets call Martin a climber for these purposes. I have another two up my sleeve. oh, I forgot Teflon Dodger Mick Rogers... Martin and Rogers can do the climbing fine. Then we will finish with Svein Tuft. sweet

TRENDING THREADS