• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Psalmon said:
I hope Tejay can attack when Richie Porte is pacing Froome up the climb and drop him like a soaked towel.

Porte's been spouting off since the Giro how he deserves to lead a team and now he's rumored to BMC, to "lead" a team, while still at Sky, during the Tour, something that could cause dissension within BMC. And yes, although a competitor now, if he really goes to BMC to "lead"? He's already failed at that. What a W@nker.

Bundle up some fury Tejay, and show them your backside.

Maybe when he goes he can turn around and give Richie "the look" while riding to stage glory.

Stage 1 / Stage 4
CJzzZA3W8AAQtMc.jpg

Re: Re:

perico said:
Psalmon said:
I hope Tejay can attack when Richie Porte is pacing Froome up the climb and drop him like a soaked towel.

Porte's been spouting off since the Giro how he deserves to lead a team and now he's rumored to BMC, to "lead" a team, while still at Sky, during the Tour, something that could cause dissension within BMC. And yes, although a competitor now, if he really goes to BMC to "lead"? He's already failed at that. What a W@nker.

Bundle up some fury Tejay, and show them your backside.

Maybe when he goes he can turn around and give Richie "the look" while riding to stage glory.

Richie Porte has never shown the consistency to win a 3 week tour, but neither has Tejay. Van Garderen always has a big loss on one or more of the mountain days. This year he does look stronger then I have ever seen him. I was shocked by his ability to hang on the Huy. This first week of the tour was a perfect set up for Tejay and he did exceptionally well, but the remaining days are not. But I am tentatively preparing for him to have a day where he loses a couple minutes.
Also, while I agree that Porte is talking a bigger game then he should, he also is seeking a new contract. This will be his last chance at a big contract and publicity doesn't hurt.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Tejay just made a mistake by trying to follow Froome and Quintana. Apparently he also started to believe he was part of 'the big five'. If he just rode his own tempo, he would have finished with Piti and G.

He just needs to focus himself on Gesink, Valverde and Thomas, and start to realise 3rd place is his max.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Tejay just made a mistake by trying to follow Froome and Quintana. Apparently he also started to believe he was part of 'the big five'. If he just rode his own tempo, he would have finished with Piti and G.

He just needs to focus himself on Gesink, Valverde and Thomas, and start to realise 3rd place is his max.

Can we put that to bed yet? At the very least Nibali is sunk.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:

Pretty much this. He's going to run into the same thing he did last year where he mostly pulls up the climbs and then Valverde et al jump him at the finish but if he stays within himself he should be fine and not lose too much time. Though last year he had Pinot to work with him at various times and this year I don't see anyone else who would. I don't think he'll get beaten for the podium by any but Contador if he rides his own race.

Queens Boulevard said:
Arredondo said:

Pretty much this. He's going to run into the same thing he did last year where he mostly pulls up the climbs and then Valverde et al jump him at the finish but if he stays within himself he should be fine and not lose too much time. Though last year he had Pinot to work with him at various times and this year I don't see anyone else who would. I don't think he'll get beaten for the podium by any but Contador if he rides his own race.

Funny thing is, when you compare today with the top 10 overall last year, Tejay beat 8 of the other 9 today by over a minute and a half, and was 30 seconds back of Valverde.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I think TJ is stronger than most of the other guys in the top ten today and even might have been stronger than them today, since he was very last rider to be dropped by Froome/Porte/Quintana (even Gesink had been caught and passed by that point). But he clearly held on too long as he faded badly toward the end. There was a point when he was pulling Gesink that Porte was just in front of him, then slowly Porte went away, Gesink passed him by, he got caught by Valverde next, who stayed in his wheel, then he slowly stockpiled those who had been dropped earlier. Instead of passing him however they all just let him pull another couple K's until finally Gallopin caught up and they realized they could probably drop him without towing him up to their respective leaders, so then they did so. I think TJ was strong, but not as strong as he thought he was which caused him to go into the red. Tomorrow hopefully he'll understand his limitations better and try to keep the podium place he has a very real shot at. Worst case scenario he's still due a bad day and could still probably finish his usual 5th in the Tour. Best case scenario that was his bad day and he's in the form of his life ready to come back better tomorrow. Remember last year his worst day came after a rest day so maybe he just doesn't manage that well after a day off.

Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Inquitus said:
TJ has no hope of winning the tour unless the big 4 crash out. Just felt like adding some realism to this thread.

Most here understand Tejay won't win. The biggest debate is on whether or not he'll podium. He does have a chance at that.

purito will kick him off the podium. He kicked contador in 2013.

Well TJ might have disappointed some today but he still made those tipping big things from Purito look like monkeys. While I think its unlikely TJVG can still podium. The same cannot be said of Purito - nor Nibali who finished nearly 2 minutes behind.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Tejay Van Garderen

If the rumors are true and Porte is headed to BMC, what does that say about BMC's confidence in TJ and a GT?

Re:

SafeBet said:
This was not a bad day for TJ. That's his level climbing wise, it always was.
It doesn't make sense to expect more.

That's silly. Why not? Riders often progress in their mid to late 20s and reach a new level. It happens all the time. 2 of the "big 4" are prime examples. I remember when everyone said the exact same thing about Nibali. Hell, the same thing might be happening with Landa (I say might because I'm not yet as convinced as some people are - I need to see him do it again before I'm all in. Not everyone is a Nairo or Schleck.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
First mountain over and I must admit he did better than I expected. Even so, I still can't picture him in the podium. Another 5th place is just about right.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
TJ have already throwed in the towel, and is riding for a podium place.

SKY-BMC alliance when moviestar, saxo and astana will try to do anything...

TRENDING THREADS