• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
USA's Gesink
Great analogy!

At some point, either TVG or Robert Gesink will take 4th in a Grand Tour, or maybe even both of them will before their careers are over for good. For now, they're going to be looked at with the same interest level as Carlos Betancur, as the most talented loser of the decade.
Officially, Gesink already has a 4th place from the Tour. Three times 6th and one time 7th in GTs besides that as well.

Tejay has been close, and I wouldn't count it out that he will get one like Gesink did.

Netserk said:
Irondan said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
USA's Gesink
Great analogy!

At some point, either TVG or Robert Gesink will take 4th in a Grand Tour, or maybe even both of them will before their careers are over for good. For now, they're going to be looked at with the same interest level as Carlos Betancur, as the most talented loser of the decade.
Officially, Gesink already has a 4th place from the Tour. Three times 6th and one time 7th in GTs besides that as well.

Tejay has been close, and I wouldn't count it out that he will get one like Gesink did.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Although Gesink's 4th place wasn't on the road so it was quite unremarkable.

Perhaps I should have used a "podium" position in my analogy. :D

I cant see TJ or Gesink getting a 4th again in any GT for different reason including the competetion is better and there are lots of youngster who can beat them. Plus Gesink who is the better climber imo is not a good enough TTer or has not enough punch. And TJ cannot hold it together for 22 days and is a 'hang in the climbs' at best rider... Both capable of a top 10 or mountain stage wins but not 4th now imo

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I cant see TJ or Gesink getting a 4th again in any GT for different reason including the competetion is better and there are lots of youngster who can beat them. Plus Gesink who is the better climber imo is not a good enough TTer or has not enough punch. And TJ cannot hold it together for 22 days and is a 'hang in the climbs' at best rider... Both capable of a top 10 or mountain stage wins but not 4th now imo

Yeah pretty much agree. Gesink actually improved his TT while Tejay's went backwards and Gesink has much more punch than Tejay in a finish but I think accumulation of illness and injuries over so many years has to take a toll even if the morale improves. Gesink had a horror run for a few years. Even second tier GC riders have gone past Gesink and TJVG now.

Re:

Jspear said:
It's annoying to be honest. I was happy that TJVG wasn't going for GC in the Tour. I thought maybe he'd be in a better head space throughout the year because he wouldn't have the pressure of leading...then a crash. He could have done well in PN with this route. He and the team seemed hungry for a stage race victory.
Teuns is still there. :D I think he'll be better than Tejay this year.

Are legs and arms happening? I guess you can argue that...... lmao

But really, BMC hasn't gotten off to a good start. GVA not really performing so far and Porte and TJ with some bad luck which definitely isn't uncharacteristic for them, so no surprise really.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Btw every second year (even years) in the last five years, Porte has only won the Willunga stage in TDU and nothing else. Maybe he is set to continue that proud tradition.

No not that bad :

1st Jersey orange.svg Overall Tour Down Under

1st Stages 2 & 5

1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour de Romandie
1st Stage 7 Paris–Nice
2nd Overall Critérium du Dauphiné

1st Stage 4 (ITT)

movingtarget said:
tobydawq said:
Btw every second year (even years) in the last five years, Porte has only won the Willunga stage in TDU and nothing else. Maybe he is set to continue that proud tradition.

No not that bad :

1st Stages 2 & 5

1st Stage 7 Paris–Nice

1st Stage 4 (ITT)

He meant even years so 14 and 16 were his only win are stage 5 in the Tour down under and than top 10's.

SHAD0W93 said:
movingtarget said:
tobydawq said:

No not that bad :

1st Stages 2 & 5

1st Stage 7 Paris–Nice

1st Stage 4 (ITT)

He meant even years so 14 and 16 were his only win are stage 5 in the Tour down under and than top 10's.

Right but even so, calling a season at the beginning of March is a bit odd. TJVG is the one that has disappointed more even though Porte's crash in the Tour was a downer no pun intended. After all TJVG is the one with two top fives in the Tour and from a young age seemed to be set for even better results. Three week racing never seemed to be a problem for TJVG five years ago. How times change.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
True, it will be interesting to see how Porte does.

On TVG, I hope he is able to get in some shape and go for GC in like Romandie, Basque Country, or Suisse and than go for stages in the Tour and Vuelta helping Porte.

Tejay will lead BMC at Catalunya

And he will not go for stages at the Tour..... he is helping Porte, not stage hunting unless Porte drops out of contention ...surely you must know what riding as a super domestique entails...you dont see SKY doms going for stages

HelloDolly said:
SHAD0W93 said:
True, it will be interesting to see how Porte does.

On TVG, I hope he is able to get in some shape and go for GC in like Romandie, Basque Country, or Suisse and than go for stages in the Tour and Vuelta helping Porte.

Tejay will lead BMC at Catalunya

And he will not go for stages at the Tour..... he is helping Porte, not stage hunting unless Porte drops out of contention ...surely you must know what riding as a super domestique entails...you dont see SKY doms going for stages

Porte won't always need him and truthfully it doesn't matter to me what place Porte finishes.

TRENDING THREADS