• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Didn't know it didn't apply to US citizens, guess Tejay didn't know that either if not he would not have jumped ship !
Or TJVG reacted to what he saw as a dumb reaction, dumb move by a dumb and incompetent prez and he made a political statement. The country (USA) is in turmoil, many Americans are ticked off by the lack of leadership and response to this epidemic. In the past few days, I saw a lot of co-workers, pro-Trump or Republicans following the party line scratch their head and say WTF. Being vocal. TJVG, as an American, may be one of them...

Or TJVG reacted to what he saw as a dumb reaction, dumb move by a dumb and incompetent prez and he made a political statement. The country (USA) is in turmoil, many Americans are ticked off by the lack of leadership and response to this epidemic. In the past few days, I saw a lot of co-workers, pro-Trump or Republicans following the party line scratch their head and say WTF. Being vocal. TJVG, as an American, may be one of them...
There's no doubting the dumbness, it's there for all to see. Tonton, are you here in the states?

Reactions: Joelsim
I doubt that TJ was making a political statement, but even if he knew that the travel ban didn’t apply to citizens, he didn’t know that even that wouldn’t change within 24-48 hours, and best to get while the gettin’s good.

Im sure he also didn’t know Rusty was going to break his leg today, but I doubt that would have factored into his decision either way.

Reactions: Joelsim and Koronin
Tejay needed to get back to da hood.

EQMJswrXsAALvI3

I wonder if Tejay would have gone home if he had been in contention.
He's a pro tour cyclist, doesn't he have a home in Europe?

yes he has, and wife and son /daughter (I dont remember if a boy or girl) joined him last season
I think his family was supposed to fly to Europe later, after his altitude camps, so now they are in America, and it´s normal for him to be SURE to fly back home, and if it means go home 2 days earlier, well it´s fine, there is a f<kng world emergency and better safe than sorry, risking of missing flights, risking of not finding tickets because all Americans are flying home, risking of finding less flights and so on.

Reactions: Bolder
I doubt that TJ was making a political statement, but even if he knew that the travel ban didn’t apply to citizens, he didn’t know that even that wouldn’t change within 24-48 hours, and best to get while the gettin’s good.

That's my thought as well; he likely wasn't sure what the situation would be Sunday, or more likely Monday. Besides, it's hardly like he just ran off without telling anyone, I'd say it's safe to assume that the team was in agreement with his decision.

Reactions: pastronef
There's no doubting the dumbness, it's there for all to see. Tonton, are you here in the states?
Yes, in VA. My post wasn't meant to be a political statement but rather try to understand and maybe explain TJVG's reaction by highlighting prevalent feelings in the US: uncertainty, no trust in the current US administration, now a travel ban coming out of nowhere, that's enough to send someone's head spinning.

Reactions: Joelsim and Koronin
Yes, in VA. My post wasn't meant to be a political statement but rather try to understand and maybe explain TJVG's reaction by highlighting prevalent feelings in the US: uncertainty, no trust in the current US administration, now a travel ban coming out of nowhere, that's enough to send someone's head spinning.
Well you would expect China and the USA to be leading the world in the crisis response but maybe that's wishful thinking......................maybe I should just watch Contagion again ! TJVG is doing what is right for him and his family as most people are at the moment or should be.

Reactions: Joelsim
Well you would expect China and the USA to be leading the world in the crisis response but maybe that's wishful thinking......................maybe I should just watch Contagion again ! TJVG is doing what is right for him and his family as most people are at the moment or should be.
So true. China has reversed the curb, or so it seems, the US has yet to have a reaction that's not just tweets but actions, yet the US has the brains and resources to turn the corner quickly. Europe is such a high traffic area that I worry a lot. That's actually when the EU has to be what the EU says it is and have a comprehensive policy across the board. TJVG is doing his best, I agree that criticizing him is at best guess-work, at worst just not smart.