• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen.

Do you think Tejay Van Garderen is overrated?

• It's all about the tarmac.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 19, 2011
Visit site
excellent TT skill
decent on small climbs

strong contender for one week race with decent TT miles, sort of Tony Martin parcourse.

No way as a GC contender, probably not even a good domestique due to severe climbing limitation.

Hope he can improve and prove me wrong:rolleyes:

He's a bit underrated on this site, but as a whole he's a very solid rider. His climbing must improve if he wants to become a GC rider, but he is still very young and has plenty of time to improve. Of course, if he moves to be a better climber and loses power in TT's then he would be right back to square one. I'm a big fan of his, and I hope to see him get better as he matures more into a rider. I do think it's going to be very challenging to hold off Pinot for the white jersey though.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Voted maybe,his TT seems to be progressing but not his climbing.Again depends on your expectations if they are hes USA's big hope to smite the pesky europeans in the TDF anytime soon then..... well no,but he is only 23 give the guy a chance; white jersey contender @23 not too shabby

User Guide said:
Voted maybe,his TT seems to be progressing but not his climbing.Again depends on your expectations if they are hes USA's big hope to smite the pesky europeans in the TDF anytime soon then..... well no,but he is only 23 give the guy a chance; white jersey contender @23 not too shabby

I think in the long run, Dombrowski is going to be the better GC rider for Grand Tours. However, Van Garderen should be able to win a lot of week long stage races. All in all we have some very talented riders that have a lot of potential.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
I think in the long run, Dombrowski is going to be the better GC rider for Grand Tours. However, Van Garderen should be able to win a lot of week long stage races. All in all we have some very talented riders that have a lot of potential.
Whats Dombrowski's TT like? an early Gesink or an early Frandy?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Of course all those who who voted yes are not thinking down the road. Tejay will go better in years to come. So I voted no. If you're in-the-run for any jersey in the Tour this far along you're not overrated.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Of course all those who who voted yes are not thinking down the road. Tejay will go better in years to come. So I voted no. If you're in-the-run for any jersey in the Tour this far along you're not overrated.

This^^ He has a bright future and it should be fun to watch him.

I voted Maybe...time will tell. He is obviously a talented ITTer and very young with plenty of time to mature his talents.

However IMO he's been totally useless at his assigned job this year; working for Cadel in the mountains. The road goes up and he is gone :(

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
I voted Maybe...time will tell. He is obviously a talented ITTer and very young with plenty of time to mature his talents.

However IMO he's been totally useless at his assigned job this year; working for Cadel in the mountains. The road goes up and he is gone :(

Agree- not sure what is going on with Tejay in helpng Cadel perhaps a little too tenative in the mountains? However, with each stage comes more experience.

TRENDING THREADS