Tennis

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2015
377
0
4,280
Re:

SeriousSam said:
It's probably to deter future accusations by people with a big enough profile for it to be news.
and few will believe that a French minister being unable to prove he doped means that he's clean.
You sure? The reasoning that would have one conclude he's clean is the exact same that had, and still has, so many people thinking that Froome is clean. Didn't test positive, you see.

Now, I believe Brits will be highly suspicious that this Johnny Foreigner is really clean even when he wins in court, especially now that Murray has indicated he thinks some of the infinite stamina players might be on something, but the Spanish press and his fans?
I think most of the public no longer buy the Armstrong mantra that 'extraordinary accusations require extraordinary proof'. Lance has taught them that athletes lie, and clean test don't guarantee clean athletes.

I think the public are more skeptical when they see suspicious performance characteristics than in the past, but tend to remain pretty trusting when an athlete isn't pinging too loudly on the doping-radar.

The rabid fan bases will always have their blind-spots.......
 
Yeah, the Nadal fanboys on the internet will be like the Armstrong and SKy fanboys were on here.

But its still good. Behind all the trolling and crying and abuse, is the sad recognition that the heroes who's posters they have on all their walls, aren't the saints they wish they were.
 
I think a large number of fans are just fanboys/fangirls rather than fans. If people here know what I mean. They cling on because of how 'cool' or 'awesome' Nadal or Federer, or Djokovic or anyone else are. Same thing happened with Armstrong, though I think those three guys, especially Nadal and Federer, are more of an international brand than Armstrong ever was, in my opinion. All of these athletes help create cult like status and their fans see them as people that can do no wrong, and certainly nike, wilson/head, accenture, adidas, and/or whatever their big sponsors are, promote that. That's understandable, it happens in every sport. You want to promote the best athletes. That's one way to bring money in and to promote your brand/sport. Why did Carl Lewis have a number of his positive tests wiped off the table? Why did Agassi's silent ban never get out to the public (the firs time people even heard of it was in his 'tell all' book)? We as fans will always get tricked or manipulated one way or another.
 
BullsFan22 said:
I think a large number of fans are just fanboys/fangirls rather than fans. If people here know what I mean. They cling on because of how 'cool' or 'awesome' Nadal or Federer, or Djokovic or anyone else are. Same thing happened with Armstrong, though I think those three guys, especially Nadal and Federer, are more of an international brand than Armstrong ever was, in my opinion. All of these athletes help create cult like status and their fans see them as people that can do no wrong, and certainly nike, wilson/head, accenture, adidas, and/or whatever their big sponsors are, promote that. That's understandable, it happens in every sport. You want to promote the best athletes. That's one way to bring money in and to promote your brand/sport. Why did Carl Lewis have a number of his positive tests wiped off the table? Why did Agassi's silent ban never get out to the public (the firs time people even heard of it was in his 'tell all' book)? We as fans will always get tricked or manipulated one way or another.
I remember when as part of the BBC's top notch coverage of Wimbledon, they sent one of their reporters down to the masses, picked out some people on the "djokovic side" and asked why Djokovic would win.
"cos Djokovic is the best woooooooo!!!!!"

then the person went to find some Federer fans.

Why will Federer win today?

"cos Federer is so awesome, woooooooo!!!".

reporter will no doubt get a knighthood some day.
 
Jun 21, 2015
377
0
4,280
The Hitch said:
BullsFan22 said:
I think a large number of fans are just fanboys/fangirls rather than fans. If people here know what I mean. They cling on because of how 'cool' or 'awesome' Nadal or Federer, or Djokovic or anyone else are. Same thing happened with Armstrong, though I think those three guys, especially Nadal and Federer, are more of an international brand than Armstrong ever was, in my opinion. All of these athletes help create cult like status and their fans see them as people that can do no wrong, and certainly nike, wilson/head, accenture, adidas, and/or whatever their big sponsors are, promote that. That's understandable, it happens in every sport. You want to promote the best athletes. That's one way to bring money in and to promote your brand/sport. Why did Carl Lewis have a number of his positive tests wiped off the table? Why did Agassi's silent ban never get out to the public (the firs time people even heard of it was in his 'tell all' book)? We as fans will always get tricked or manipulated one way or another.
I remember when as part of the BBC's top notch coverage of Wimbledon, they sent one of their reporters down to the masses, picked out some people on the "djokovic side" and asked why Djokovic would win.
"cos Djokovic is the best woooooooo!!!!!"

then the person went to find some Federer fans.

Why will Federer win today?

"cos Federer is so awesome, woooooooo!!!".

reporter will no doubt get a knighthood some day.
The multi-billion dollar pro-sports entertainment industry exists by working fans up into a state of frenzied enthusiasm.... I can live with that, as long as the product is credible and untainted.

Once it's shown to be something else, though, it's just a pack of cards waiting to collapse.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
BullsFan22 said:
Why did Agassi's silent ban never get out to the public (the firs time people even heard of it was in his 'tell all' book)? We as fans will always get tricked or manipulated one way or another.
what about Marcelo Rios' quote that when they wanted to test him at the Australian Open he ran out saying that someone was trying to kidnap his kid?

For Gil Reyes see: Uncle Toni.

why did the ATP WTF always ping the South Americans for cocaine but let off Gasquet but kill off Hingis.
 
Jun 21, 2015
377
0
4,280
"Wimbledon to beef up measures against doping, corruption"

The Wimbledon championships will protect its squeaky clean image with enhanced anti-doping and anti-corruption measures for this year's 130th tournament, organizers said on Tuesday.

Tennis was rocked by allegations of match-fixing on the eve of this year's Australian Open and suffered another blow to its integrity when former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova said in February she had failed a drugs test.

At a news conference announcing yet another substantial hike in prize money, the All England Club pledged to beef up its safeguards against sport's two biggest threats.

Measures will include data streams and videos of all matches, including in qualifying events, enhanced data monitoring and player education as well as additional anti-doping controls to complement those already run at the tournament by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-wimbledon-idUSKCN0XN1PZ
 
Jun 16, 2015
292
0
3,030
Wimbledon coming out all goody-goody. A bit rich considering they gave the nod to Cilic in 2013 to feign injury so enabling him to lie to the public, effectively turning his provisional suspension into a silent ban.
 
Jun 21, 2015
377
0
4,280
This is Wimbledon future-proofing their brand by creating some separation from potential new doping scandals.... A PR move, of course.

What's notable, though, is that for the first time they found it necessary. Times are changing. Doping at the high end of the sport is progressively on the radar of the casual observer.

The way that the Nadal/Djokovic camps have dealt with this recently has only poured fuel on the fire.
 
Re:

Zebadeedee said:
£70 million going on a roof while they spend two and sixpence on drug testing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3559634/All-England-Club-release-stunning-images-Wimbledon-s-70m-new-look-No-1-Court-set-completed-2019.html

Tennis knows its priorities all right.
Sure it does.

There is no money to be made in anti doping.

But there is plenty in building a roof on Court 1 to add prime time matches in the event of rain.

Sport.
To paraphrase Carville - It's an economy, stupid.
 
Aug 6, 2011
738
0
0
Re:

luckyboy said:
Nadal asked the ITF to publish all his test + bio passport results huh
If you want to have a good laugh, read the press statements. The pr team basically just copy pasted the Armstrong defense. ('Never tested positive' & 'one of the most tested').
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
Re: Re:

WillemS said:
luckyboy said:
Nadal asked the ITF to publish all his test + bio passport results huh
If you want to have a good laugh, read the press statements. The pr team basically just copy pasted the Armstrong defense. ('Never tested positive' & 'one of the most tested').
the Armstrong defense worked for the most part innit

the only thing for those following, he deligitimised it for alot of the fans, therefore the next athlete to use this go-to defense.
 
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
WillemS said:
luckyboy said:
Nadal asked the ITF to publish all his test + bio passport results huh
If you want to have a good laugh, read the press statements. The pr team basically just copy pasted the Armstrong defense. ('Never tested positive' & 'one of the most tested').
the Armstrong defense worked for the most part innit

the only thing for those following, he deligitimised it for alot of the fans, therefore the next athlete to use this go-to defense.
Disagree.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/chris-colabello-full-extended-sitdown-jamie-campbell/

Deny deny deny will always be the best defense against critics. Most are either too stupid or don't care.
The interview posted is 20 mins long, but if you have the wherewithal to watch a 'tragedy' play out before your very eyes, it's well worth watching.
Chris Colabello was never drafted by a major league baseball team. (Keep in mind that approx. 1500 hundred players are drafted every year.) He spent 7 years playing in a league that's so far off the radar of MLB scouts that it's amazing he even got a sniff by the Blue Jays, never mind hit .317 during the Jays amazing 2015 post-season run in the playoffs. He was/is a hero to many. Now he's reduced to tears because he's about to lose a boatload of money doing something he wanted to do his whole life.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
blackcat said:
WillemS said:
luckyboy said:
Nadal asked the ITF to publish all his test + bio passport results huh
If you want to have a good laugh, read the press statements. The pr team basically just copy pasted the Armstrong defense. ('Never tested positive' & 'one of the most tested').
the Armstrong defense worked for the most part innit

the only thing for those following, he deligitimised it for alot of the fans, therefore the next athlete to use this go-to defense.
Disagree.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/chris-colabello-full-extended-sitdown-jamie-campbell/

Deny deny deny will always be the best defense against critics. Most are either too stupid or don't care.
The interview posted is 20 mins long, but if you have the wherewithal to watch a 'tragedy' play out before your very eyes, it's well worth watching.
Chris Colabello was never drafted by a major league baseball team. (Keep in mind that approx. 1500 hundred players are drafted every year.) He spent 7 years playing in a league that's so far off the radar of MLB scouts that it's amazing he even got a sniff by the Blue Jays, never mind hit .317 during the Jays amazing 2015 post-season run in the playoffs. He was/is a hero to many. Now he's reduced to tears because he's about to lose a boatload of money doing something he wanted to do his whole life.
i posted something similar to what you are alleging, and prolly the same hour as I posted this^ above. I did not leave my caveat above, but this was my post on an australian rules football forum
The 5% for are the one issue voters who love their sport and don't care how the sausage is made, or deliberately stick fingers in their ears, or, are so daft they think the players are "good guys" and therefore would never dope.
 
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
the delgados said:
blackcat said:
WillemS said:
luckyboy said:
Nadal asked the ITF to publish all his test + bio passport results huh
If you want to have a good laugh, read the press statements. The pr team basically just copy pasted the Armstrong defense. ('Never tested positive' & 'one of the most tested').
the Armstrong defense worked for the most part innit

the only thing for those following, he deligitimised it for alot of the fans, therefore the next athlete to use this go-to defense.
Disagree.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/chris-colabello-full-extended-sitdown-jamie-campbell/

Deny deny deny will always be the best defense against critics. Most are either too stupid or don't care.
The interview posted is 20 mins long, but if you have the wherewithal to watch a 'tragedy' play out before your very eyes, it's well worth watching.
Chris Colabello was never drafted by a major league baseball team. (Keep in mind that approx. 1500 hundred players are drafted every year.) He spent 7 years playing in a league that's so far off the radar of MLB scouts that it's amazing he even got a sniff by the Blue Jays, never mind hit .317 during the Jays amazing 2015 post-season run in the playoffs. He was/is a hero to many. Now he's reduced to tears because he's about to lose a boatload of money doing something he wanted to do his whole life.
i posted something similar to what you are alleging, and prolly the same hour as I posted this^ above. I did not leave my caveat above, but this was my post on an australian rules football forum
The 5% for are the one issue voters who love their sport and don't care how the sausage is made, or deliberately stick fingers in their ears, or, are so daft they think the players are "good guys" and therefore would never dope.
Mods:
This will be my last hi-jack of the tennis thread, promise.
I just can't help but mention a laugh-inducing line during the Colabello interview that was not edited out or questioned.
Interview guy asks Colabello if he re-evaluated what he ate, drank, etc. after being notified of the positive test. He said he did everything to prove his innocence, including (in all seriousness) testing the blood and urine of his dog.
Uh, huh. So Chris, you're telling me you're eating dog food?
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Mods:
This will be my last hi-jack of the tennis thread, promise.
I just can't help but mention a laugh-inducing line during the Colabello interview that was not edited out or questioned.
Interview guy asks Colabello if he re-evaluated what he ate, drank, etc. after being notified of the positive test. He said he did everything to prove his innocence, including (in all seriousness) testing the blood and urine of his dog.
Uh, huh. So Chris, you're telling me you're eating dog food?
:D

love dog food.

anthropomorphised androgens
 
The Hitch said:
Yeah, the Nadal fanboys on the internet will be like the Armstrong and SKy fanboys were on here.

But its still good. Behind all the trolling and crying and abuse, is the sad recognition that the heroes who's posters they have on all their walls, aren't the saints they wish they were.
I feel offended by your post
I think Nadal is doping.And there is a lot of evidence for it.Doesn't change me supporting him though :)
 
Mar 12, 2009
2,521
0
0
Forever The Best said:
The Hitch said:
Yeah, the Nadal fanboys on the internet will be like the Armstrong and SKy fanboys were on here.

But its still good. Behind all the trolling and crying and abuse, is the sad recognition that the heroes who's posters they have on all their walls, aren't the saints they wish they were.
I feel offended by your post
I think Nadal is doping.And there is a lot of evidence for it.Doesn't change me supporting him though :)
Just ignore it.

I have zero doubts he has been/is doping, but he's still my favorite player on Tour. :)
#vamos
 
peloton said:
Forever The Best said:
The Hitch said:
Yeah, the Nadal fanboys on the internet will be like the Armstrong and SKy fanboys were on here.

But its still good. Behind all the trolling and crying and abuse, is the sad recognition that the heroes who's posters they have on all their walls, aren't the saints they wish they were.
I feel offended by your post
I think Nadal is doping.And there is a lot of evidence for it.Doesn't change me supporting him though :)
Just ignore it.

I have zero doubts he has been/is doping, but he's still my favorite player on Tour. :)
#vamos
Indeed.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
0
0
peloton said:
I have zero doubts he has been/is doping, but he's still my favorite player on Tour. :)
#vamos
i prefer Uncle Toni

I even started a petition on Change.Org to get him to change his name to "Tony".

I see "Tony" as far more regal and aristocratic and befitting of his status.

ta
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY