• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

tyson766 said:
Who needs a senior tour when you have players well into their 30s consistently winning in a sport where players used to peak at 27-28 and retire at 30-31.

Most blatant dope fest since eastern european athletics in the 70s.

And the sad part is that the players were doping back then, too. I guess Agassi was the pioneer of the "new era", winning the majority of his slams in the second half of his career, at an age where most of his competitors were on the decline.

Re: Re:

DanielSong39 said:
tyson766 said:
I guess Agassi was the pioneer of the "new era", winning the majority of his slams in the second half of his career, at an age where most of his competitors were on the decline.

In some regards, yes, Agassi via Gil's secret shakes, was the first to come back with a vengeance as he aged, but I'm guessing Lendl was probably the first male to really enhance his game via ped's. Mere speculation mind you.

robow7 said:
DanielSong39 said:
tyson766 said:
I guess Agassi was the pioneer of the "new era", winning the majority of his slams in the second half of his career, at an age where most of his competitors were on the decline.

In some regards, yes, Agassi via Gil's secret shakes, was the first to come back with a vengeance as he aged, but I'm guessing Lendl was probably the first male to really enhance his game via ped's. Mere speculation mind you.

Agreed with Lendl but then there's Connors' mid-life renaissance as well. Won 3 majors after it looked like he was tailing off.

The Hitch said:
Haha. Federer is ridiculous at 35 and he just lost to Tommy Haas, whos like the Horner of tennis (ok not as good but in tennis 39 is like 49 in cycling)

Haas has probably had a better overall career than Horner, yes, no major title, but plenty of other good showings, titles, a world #2 ranking as his career high and he's had too many injuries to count.

I also don't really look at this as a major shock. Federer looked so bored and played like he didn't care. Dare I say, he threw the match. It was in Germany, Haas's home country, his last season (If I am not mistaken). Don't read too much into it.

What was probably more of note, or should have been, was the oldest final in 41 years took place in Rosmalen in Holland. 34 year old Gilles Muller beat 38 year old Ivo Karlovic.

Re:

Zebadeedee said:
Shock! Horror!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/06/23/dan-evans-tests-positive-cocaine/

Evans gets caught doing what many tennis players routinely do.

Interesting tidbit in that article about guys in the 80's putting coke in their white wrist bands and a quick snort between points. Had not heard that before. I've never done the stuff but those that have and at some time played tennis at a higher level, would it in your opinion offer any assistance during a match ? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Vitas Gerulaitis - ex world No 3 and a star of the '70s - was a big time cocaine user. His habit dragged his career down and it got even worse when he left the circuit. The FBI were after him at one point. No doubt at all that McEnroe and Borg were using too, being best mates of Vitas. Pity McEnroe doesn't come clean about his usage.

Re:

Zebadeedee said:
Vitas Gerulaitis - ex world No 3 and a star of the '70s - was a big time cocaine user. His habit dragged his career down and it got even worse when he left the circuit. The FBI were after him at one point. No doubt at all that McEnroe and Borg were using too, being best mates of Vitas. Pity McEnroe doesn't come clean about his usage.

IIRC, McEnroe did talk about using cocaine when he was active on the tour.

I have a dim recollection of his mentioning a night out with VG, and feeling so fatigued the next morning that he used cocaine to 'get-up" for an early round match at Wimbledon.

I very much doubt McEnroe will be chatting on the BBC about his own previous cocaine use while doing his drop in studio stints during Wimbledon, relevant though that may be given Evans situation currently. Omertà reigns in tennis as much as it does in cycling, possibly more so given that virtually nothing ever emerges or is discussed on using. It will be interesting to see whether the subject of Dan Evans comes up at all. Can anyone envisage Tim 'Cutting edge' Henman discussing drugs with McEnroe and what he thinks of the Evans case? No, I thought not.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Gilles Muller beats Nadal in the longest match of Wimbledon and barely looks tired. Huge upturn in form - never gone past the 3rd round at Wimbledon before this year and now looks like one of the best grass court players in the world. May break into the top 20 after this tournament at this rate, for the first time in his career - at 34!

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Bwlch y Groes said:
Gilles Muller beats Nadal in the longest match of Wimbledon and barely looks tired. Huge upturn in form - never gone past the 3rd round at Wimbledon before this year and now looks like one of the best grass court players in the world. May break into the top 20 after this tournament at this rate, for the first time in his career - at 34!

Nadal has been dumped out in the early rounds of wimbledon for at least the past 5 years. Seems like they load him up with everything they have for Roland Garros and after that there isn't enough time for a second cycle or his body doesn't respond the same way as when he was younger.

iejeecee said:
Bwlch y Groes said:

Nadal has been dumped out in the early rounds of wimbledon for at least the past 5 years. Seems like they load him up with everything they have for Roland Garros and after that there isn't enough time for a second cycle or his body doesn't respond the same way as when he was younger.

Or he's a better player on clay than on grass.

TRENDING THREADS