• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Zebedee I agree but I don't think there are any of those payments for slams where attendance is mandatory. So, say Federer makes £36.5m in total endorsements or 100k a day (no idea, just using a round number). He plays tennis for 14 days and wins Wimbledon (£1.6m, this year after a 40% increase from last year, increase would have a lot to do with the tax rules imo) plus he makes £1.4m in endorsements for those 14 days. That's £3m and, as I understand it the UK takes 50% of the lot, so he takes home £1.5m. If he missed Wimbledon and stayed out of the UK he'd have kept his £1.4m in endorsements (or thereabouts, assuming he lives in a tax-free or very low tax area, which they normally do.)

So he makes an extra 100k or maybe a bit more for a 2 week slog and that's if he wins the whole thing. If he loses in the final he gets 800k, 400k after tax, but still has to pay 700k tax on the 14 days worth of endorsements, so he is down 300k. Simply not worth it. It is a big financial risk, you would basically have to win the whole thing or else end up out of pocket overall using those numbers. I may be a bit off with the endorsement numbers but even if I am you get the idea, they might be financially better off going out early. I'm not certain if the rules are applied exactly as above, it may be just days where tennis is played but even if it is you can see how ridiculous the rules are and how a player could want to avoid them. Bolt also pulled out of a Crystal Palace meeting last year as he said it would cost him money to run it and gave out at how stupid the rules were.

In Murray's case he can hardly refuse to play Queens and I'm sure his appearance fee would cover him and be bigger than the rest (and prob even more seeing as the rest don't turn up). Murray is not tax resident in the UK AFAIK, I don't blame him, I would spend as little time as possible there if I were him.

I was interested to see that he gave his £1.6m prize money to charity this year, that may have been more tax efficient and less charitable than it seemed.

Match Fixing

What about the loss by Del Potro against Isner in Cincinnati ??

Del Potro serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set with match point at 40-30. Serving into the sun, Del Potro double-faulted on match point to let Isner back into the game and the American eventually broke with a perfect backhand down the line to earn the break back and get on serve.

That smacked of match fixing.

Two weeks ago, the two faced off in the final of the Citi Open where Del Potro won, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.

The commentators, I think it was Petch/Cowan and Flemming - said that was unexplainable...the way they were talking they were insinuating it was very strange.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

The commentators, I think it was Petch/Cowan and Flemming - said that was unexplainable...the way they were talking they were insinuating it was very strange.

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

Delpo had a wrist problem in Cincy, a niggly injury which has annoyed him for a while. He is a genuine contender for the USO and he would not take a chance like that so close to the tournament. It is common for players not to want to go deep in a tournament in the week or two before a major. They play for practice and sometimes don't play their best so that they don't tire themselves out and play too much. It is called 'tanking', not quite fixing because there is nobody else involved. A prime example of this is Djokovic last November in the Paris Masters, a week before the end of season finals. He won the first 8 games against Querrey, 6-0 2-0, Querrey hit 300/1 in play, then djokovic lost the match and blamed it on his sick grandfather. You don't win 8 games in a row and then suddenly remember this.

In Delpo's case he had similar lapses against Lopez and Tursunov in the second set at Cincinatti, I think his wrist was troubling him. Isner also had the home crowd behind him and has a great record against top players in the US. Some lower level players tank in the first round of tournaments where they qualify by virtue of ranking but have no interest in playing. They collect their cheque or appearance fee and go straight to the airport.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
bewildered said:
............ It is common for players not to want to go deep in a tournament in the week or two before a major. They play for practice and sometimes don't play their best so that they don't tire themselves out and play too much. ................

I agree - it is obvious that top players are avoiding injuries in the run-up to top tournaments.

May 13, 2013
Visit site
bewildered said:
Delpo had a wrist problem in Cincy, a niggly injury which has annoyed him for a while. He is a genuine contender for the USO and he would not take a chance like that so close to the tournament. It is common for players not to want to go deep in a tournament in the week or two before a major. They play for practice and sometimes don't play their best so that they don't tire themselves out and play too much. It is called 'tanking', not quite fixing because there is nobody else involved. A prime example of this is Djokovic last November in the Paris Masters, a week before the end of season finals. He won the first 8 games against Querrey, 6-0 2-0, Querrey hit 300/1 in play, then djokovic lost the match and blamed it on his sick grandfather. You don't win 8 games in a row and then suddenly remember this.

It was his father that was sick at the end of last year, quite seriously, and he was flying between Paris and Serbia to visit him in hospital. So I buy the loss to Querrey.

He seemed pretty disinterested about Cincy though. What I thought was interesting was you could hear that Isner won from the court Murray was playing on. And as soon as Murray realised Novak was out, well he seemed pretty disinterested too. Odd.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't buy the loss to Querrey at all, I watched that match, most of the big players tanked that tournament. It is a Masters so is more or less mandatory but it is only 1 week before the world tour finals, that is far too close and most of the big players don't take it seriously. You are right about it being his father who was sick tho. Djokovic won all 5 matches at the WTF the next week and got a large cash and points bonus for being undefeated. He made sure he would finish the year as No.1.

Yes, in tournaments like that you will see a big player go out early and the others will follow suit soon after.

Potro

In Delpo's case he had similar lapses against Lopez and Tursunov in the second set at Cincinatti,

doesn't that add up to match fixing as well ? its not just the match score they bet on you know - its the Set score.

I,ve also noticed at Wimbledon how Mr Potro's fatigue has suddenly improved. He's still pulling the grimaces and tired face but monitor how he then runs about like a Duracell Rabbit.

THASP - why not start a tennis Clinic on your website ?

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
doesn't that add up to match fixing as well ? its not just the match score they bet on you know - its the Set score.

I,ve also noticed at Wimbledon how Mr Potro's fatigue has suddenly improved. He's still pulling the grimaces and tired face but monitor how he then runs about like a Duracell Rabbit.

THASP - why not start a tennis Clinic on your website ?

Not everything is a conspiracy or suspicious.

I think you mean his stamina has improved (not fatigue). He lost at Wimbledon to Djokovic as he couldn't maintain his standard in the 5th set.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Latest Statistics from USADA

The USADA has released their testing statistics as of the end 2nd quarter of 2013 (as of June 30). They conducted 7 out-of-competition tests on tennis players during Q2, compared to 19 in Q1. Still, in total, they have conducted 26 out-of-competition tests on tennis players so far in 2013, compared to 29 for all of 2012.

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.nl/

the Comeback

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Here We Go.....................

Marion Bartoli refuses to rule out return to tennis despite retirement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...-out-return-to-tennis-despite-retirement.html

And there is a further hint of indecision in the fact that Bartoli has yet to ask for her name to be removed from the rankings list. Stepping off the ladder is usually a signal that a player has gone beyond the point of no return – or at least thinks she has.

When pressed on this question, Bartoli shrugged and blamed her own curiosity. “I just wanted to see where my ranking would end up at this year without playing any more. We’ll see where it takes me. If – if – one day I came back it would make no difference because I will have no points by August next year.”

Cycle Chic said:
So do USADA test at the US Open ? I thought that was down to internal testing by the ATP and WTA ?

Do UK anti doping test at Wimbledon ?

I think laboratories are accredited by national anti-doping agencies and WADA. Tests are then farmed out to appropriate labs assigned by the body running the event, but I don't know if that means the ATP or Wimbeldon itself. The labs would just get the samples with the codes though, I think only the ATP would be able to match those to names.

This is only an assumption though, I'll try find out properly.

TRENDING THREADS