• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
The problem is you see flying elephants everywhere. Since you joined the forum youve posted again and again and again wild conspiracy theories that often have easily been disproven so when you announce you saw match fixing, its kinda like the boy who cried wolf.

So just ignore my posts...I ignore yours because they are illegible with so many typing errors and your inability to read through your post before uploading them.

Can an administrator please give The Hitch a warning for criticising me personally.
:D:D

I,m not usually this petty but Hitch antagonises other posters with his supercilious attitude.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The problem is you see flying elephants everywhere. Since you joined the forum youve posted again and again and again wild conspiracy theories that often have easily been disproven so when you announce you saw match fixing, its kinda like the boy who cried wolf.

She's full of **** is the sentence you're looking for.. I enjoy her posts tho, bringing character to the place.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Wawrinka has always had concentration issues, so it is not at all uncommon to see him do that. He went a break down early in the fourth too but broke back & won in a TB.

Can't read anything into what they say at the net. It is normal to talk at that point.

At 4-1 in a TB or a set a lot of players won't waste energy trying to get back into it if it is more than likely going to be a waste of energy.

previous

Out: Wawrinka remonstrates with Baghdatis after the match

article-2088877-0F8383E600000578-365_468x304.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...breaks-rackets-defeat-Stanislas-Wawrinka.html

maybe it was sumet to do with when they played at the aussie open 2012.

But 2 days ago it was only 3-1 when Wawrinka started playing like a fairy

Avoriaz said:
Isn't that actually what the Clinic itself is full of?

No. There are some of those, but they are a minority, deliberately overblown by fanboys of some riders in a desperate attempt to discredit the whole "clinic".

The tennis thread however is almost entirely inhabited by people who believe every single thing a player does is an attempt to hide their doping.

Of course the players are almost certainly doping. But many posters on here seem to see it as some original sin to which every single thing any tennis player ever does thereafter is directly related.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Im sure there is plenty of match fixing in tennis, but it doesnt seem very smart for guys like Wawrinka to be fixing matches in grand slams.

Is it really worth the risk to earn an extra x amount of money when he is already loaded? And im sure you can find plenty of "evidence" for every match being fixed if thats what youre looking for. For example last night Nadal tanked the 1st set on purpose because he had a bet on winning in 4 sets. :rolleyes:

For those that don't know, spot betting is the scourge of cricket. Criminal bookmakers bribe players to deliver certain results on certain balls bowled, like a no ball on 4th ball of third over, or the first six being hit by number 4, or the wicket keeper will drop his first chance. Commonly all under the umbrella of "match fixing". It's real, it exists, players have been suspended and even imprisoned including captains of countries.

Cronje, Azzaruddin, But, Warnie and Mark Waugh are small beer compared to now.

Why would tennis be any different?

Actually it has happened before in tennis.

That doesn't mean everytime a player has words with his opponent he is throwing a game.

Its also very rare as there is very very little reason for tennis players that high up to throw a match. Not unless some crime group has claws in them

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
sittingbison said:
For those that don't know, spot betting is the scourge of cricket. Criminal bookmakers bribe players to deliver certain results on certain balls bowled, like a no ball on 4th ball of third over, or the first six being hit by number 4, or the wicket keeper will drop his first chance. Commonly all under the umbrella of "match fixing". It's real, it exists, players have been suspended and even imprisoned including captains of countries.

Cronje, Azzaruddin, But, Warnie and Mark Waugh are small beer compared to now.

Why would tennis be any different?

Personally, I think the excessive amounts of 20-20 matches is the scourge of cricket at the moment, but I take your point. ;)

I think Cronje was involved in genuine match-fixing i.e. losing matches. England's epic "win" in the 1999/2000 tour to SA was one such incident.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I've never understood who would lay a bet that, for instance, there would be a no-ball in over 6 ball 3. Surely alarm bells would ring if anyone was seeking to make that bet?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Im sure there is plenty of match fixing in tennis, but it doesnt seem very smart for guys like Wawrinka to be fixing matches in grand slams.

Is it really worth the risk to earn an extra x amount of money when he is already loaded? And im sure you can find plenty of "evidence" for every match being fixed if thats what youre looking for. For example last night Nadal tanked the 1st set on purpose because he had a bet on winning in 4 sets. :rolleyes:
+1

The Hitch said:
Even if one thinks the only reason players enter tennis is money, in the long run players like Wawrinka are going to make more money by progressing in tournaments as it opens up "journo", coaching, commentary positions etc in the future.
+1

On a side note, what about Federer, what an unexpected drop in form against Robredo. Did he throw it? This is actually a difficult call. I'm not talking about betting or matchfixing here at all, but if one would tell me Roger didn't feel like playing Nadal (i.e. getting his *** wiped by Nadal) and therefore threw the match against Robredo, I could buy into that.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think its possible that Federer wasnt 100% motivated at least but I think he is way too proud to just throw a match.

It is interesting to note how Robredo and Ferrer are so good in their 30s and how Federer can barely move his feet anymore.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I think its possible that Federer wasnt 100% motivated at least but I think he is way too proud to just throw a match.

I agree, it's possible he had the idea that he would get through to get spanked by Nadal if he won at the back of his mind but nothing that intentional.

Now that some of the madness has died down I'm going to re-assert that I find it entirely plausible Federer has been clean for the majority of his career.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
I agree, it's possible he had the idea that he would get through to get spanked by Nadal if he won at the back of his mind but nothing that intentional.

Now that some of the madness has died down I'm going to re-assert that I find it entirely plausible Federer has been clean for the majority of his career.

Look at pictures of him this year, there are quite a few in which he looks completely out of shape (for a pro athlete). If he was not clean, surely he would be taking something to reduce bf% and/or retain muscle mass. He has never looked in 'exceptional' shape throughout his career either. His 'gym' muscles have never been very pronounced either like Murray and in particular Nadal.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Look at pictures of him this year, there are quite a few in which he looks completely out of shape (for a pro athlete). If he was not clean, surely he would be taking something to reduce bf% and/or retain muscle mass. He has never looked in 'exceptional' shape throughout his career either. His 'gym' muscles have never been very pronounced either like Murray and in particular Nadal.

I agee, you would have to believe, if he doped he used equal quantities of Cortisone and anabolics to effect his appearance in such a way.

It's pretty easy to get a TUE for Cortisone in tennis and unlike say Agassi he's never had one that I know of.

I don't buy it, neither strength not stamina have ever been his strong points.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
well indeed

and thanks for resurrecting it.:D

It looks like he has really slacked off his fitness/conditioning workouts since he got back to world no1 last year. The decline between last year and this is quite something. I saw a picture of him shirtless at a tournament prior to the US Open - he did not look like a pro athlete at all, looked more like an average 'skinny-fat' guy.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

It is interesting to note how Robredo and Ferrer are so good in their 30s and how Federer can barely move his feet anymore.

Federer is suffering from back pain at the moment. Eventually in tennis you screw up your back or shoulder which kills your game (same in golf).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
SundayRider said:
It looks like he has really slacked off his fitness/conditioning workouts since he got back to world no1 last year. The decline between last year and this is quite something. I saw a picture of him shirtless at a tournament prior to the US Open - he did not look like a pro athlete at all, looked more like an average 'skinny-fat' guy.

yeah, on the other hand, he never did look as bulky as nadal or murray ever.
i think federer has never been a charger of epic proportions à la Nadal and now also Murray and djoker.

Nadal upped the game, no doubt, and murray and djoker followed suit in order to stand a chance against him.
Federer has of course juiced throughout his carreer, let there be no doubt, but imo not to the epic levels of those three buffoons.

the sceptic said:

Haas is even more impressive.

But Federer it is nothing new for him to play poorly in an early match. The only difference is those 1 or 2 points when he is facing the end, used to go his way and now they dont.

Tipsarevic one year in the Aus. Haas went 2-0 up when Federer won the French and he saved it with his forehand i remember. Last year he won Wimbledon but was really close to losing it in the 3rd round to Bennetau. I remember that Equadorian 1 year in Wimbledon was serving for the match in the first round.

The difference is the last 2 grand slams, those early matches where he has the blip he has lost. Its litterally 1 or 2 points that dont go his way whereas before they did. Almost all the above guys were literally a couple of points from beating Federer then too so it could just be a coincidence.

Match fixing

Do you lot ever actually WATCH a match ? Nadal throw the first set ?? Federer throw the match ?? you,re all insane and obviously did not watch either match !!

And DAVYDENKO was seeded in the top 5 in 2006..the match fixing he was accused of happened in 2007 when he was in the top 5 in the world.

Davydenko's match fixing accusations were based on matches he played in

A) the Us Open
b) The Australian Open
c) Rolland Garros
d) Wimbledon
e) The early rounds of some mickey mouse tournaments that don't even rank in the top 50 tournaments on the planet.

If the answer is anything but e, you might have a point.

Though if i recall the match fixing was in Poland, ergo e) ergo you dont have a point