• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know you're not going to believe this but I know a player who meets that almost exact description. Weird

Btw, the Djoker wins in 5 and makes it look easy since he's so fresh in the 5th. Stan really needs to check into that gluten free diet since it enabled the Djoker to go from someone who use to peter out in the third to becoming a 5 set maniac.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
robow7 said:
I know you're not going to believe this but I know a player who meets that almost exact description. Weird

Btw, the Djoker wins in 5 and makes it look easy since he's so fresh in the 5th. Stan really needs to check into that gluten free diet since it enabled the Djoker to go from someone who use to peter out in the third to becoming a 5 set maniac.

It looked so easy because Stan just blasted errors for the 5th set. Djokovic only needed to hit the ball in.

On the Nadal/Berdych match: why are players allowed to have their own camp provide medication. Should not all medication given to players come directly from the tournament doctor?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
thrawn said:
On the Nadal/Berdych match: why are players allowed to have their own camp provide medication. Should not all medication given to players come directly from the tournament doctor?

I thought the rule was that players were only to get meds from the tournament doctor, or tournament trainer.

I think the rules keep getting relaxed more and more (we have seen Venus puffing on an inhaler on-court in the past, players going to the bathroom and ingesting god-knows what, using "medical" timeouts to break an opponents momentum,...).

Pretty soon, they will be getting blood transfusions on-court.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
I thought the rule was that players were only to get meds from the tournament doctor, or tournament trainer.

I think the rules keep getting relaxed more and more (we have seen Venus puffing on an inhaler on-court in the past, players going to the bathroom and ingesting god-knows what, using "medical" timeouts to break an opponents momentum,...).

Pretty soon, they will be getting blood transfusions on-court.

That was my thought too. In recent years it seems that rule has been changed though.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Today offered a ridiculous spectacle - even by tennis standards. A supposedly ill Serena whacking the cover off the ball and getting nearly everything back. I wonder what meds she was taking for her "illness" no doubt it was very useful.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
f_310115_serenaw_40%20small_zpswiw2d6ih.jpg

Vamos !

The oldest women's number one in the history of the game, gets her 19th slam, while fighting off a life-threatening disease.

What a HERO !

thrawn said:
It looked so easy because Stan just blasted errors for the 5th set. Djokovic only needed to hit the ball in.

You missed the point, Stan had to go for broke and try and end the points as quickly as possible because he was spent. He knew he couldn't hang around, grind it out and wait for the right ball to Tee off on. Your only choice is to hope to end the points early, and pray for a second wind. Had he been up 2 sets to 1, as a player you can tank the 4th set, especially once you get down, conserve energy and give it all you got in the 5th. He didn't have that option.

When you know you're not going to get tired, you can be content to be conservative and keep the ball in play, play your shots a couple more feet within the lines and figure you'll play the backboard, an incredible mental advantage.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
robow7 said:
You missed the point, Stan had to go for broke and try and end the points as quickly as possible because he was spent. He knew he couldn't hang around, grind it out and wait for the right ball to Tee off on. Your only choice is to hope to end the points early, and pray for a second wind. Had he been up 2 sets to 1, as a player you can tank the 4th set, especially once you get down, conserve energy and give it all you got in the 5th. He didn't have that option.

When you know you're not going to get tired, you can be content to be conservative and keep the ball in play, play your shots a couple more feet within the lines and figure you'll play the backboard, an incredible mental advantage.

Stan had no trouble standing toe to toe with Djokovic in the previous 2 years. Stan just played a **** 5th set, it's that simple.

I have no doubt Novak is doping (Stan too probably), but doping isn't the explanation for every result.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Djoker off to the toilet, getting ready for a five setter.

Pretty spectacular thus far. No wonder ITF encourage doping.

That said, the women's game imo is actually suffering from doping, with muscles beating souplesse.
Hingis, Graf, Navratilova, those were real tennis players. Serena and Sharapova are all about power hitting, very little skill.
The women's final yesterday was blatantly mediocre in terms of tennis skills.

And yes Serena looks like an East German swimmer.

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Guff

I'm sure all the fine upstanding Murray haters on this forum will be able to explain that match in terms of differential drug taking.

However you really are all a bunch of w*nkstained tossers.

The only evidence that Murray is a cheat is putting on some muscle compared to his 17 year old body.

And he's some sort of representative of muscular Christianity with links to Jimmy Saville according to the more rational posters in the clinic.

Djoker is a doper. Nadal is doper. Federer probably isn't and Murray certainly isn't.

The main question is whether the true cheats will be exposed and does Murray have space for all the trophies he's going to have to collect.

Also S Williams is a vile racist drug fueled freak. No surprise to see the regulars on here in love with her.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Peter70 said:

they are all taking drugs.

but, they are not bad characters, of poor standing. Most on this forum, are never asserting they are criminal or of moral disrepute.

to those asserting drugs are the differences in matches:
this is impossible to ascertain.

I may be wrong, but my working thesis is 98% of the doping occurring is in the "build" phase. They do not import dope like the Wayne Odesnik. my assumption is he is the exception to the rule. http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/odesnik-busted-for-hgh.html

I might be deluded. The handlers and entourage of those major pros, would carry gear, and those on private planes, have easier access. see: Lance.

I am still of the opinion, the players dont take amphetamines or uppers or pot-belge on court, even when Serena was suspicious. Actually, I think I am talking myself around to the opposite pov and the more popular pov on this thread. If they are doing other stuff in their "build" phase which lasts 6 months in developing a new threshold in endurance power and speed, why would they not take a ephedrine at a set break, tho, I know they have a supervisor on the bathroom break, so when Nadal cheats by taking his breaks, he cannot pop a pill, or atleast, not openly in the bathroom break, only surreptitiously.

I still think the most influential doping is in the build phase. 2010 was when Fernando Verdasco had a full genius Australian Open after training with Gil Reyes and Darren Cahill in Vegas with Adidas. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/sports/tennis/17adidas.html

Peter70 said:
I'm sure all the fine upstanding Murray haters on this forum will be able to explain that match in terms of differential drug taking.

The only evidence that Murray is a cheat is putting on some muscle compared to his 17 year old body.

And he's some sort of representative of muscular Christianity with links to Jimmy Saville according to the more rational posters in the clinic.

Djoker is a doper. Nadal is doper. Federer probably isn't and Murray certainly isn't.

The main question is whether the true cheats will be exposed and does Murray have space for all the trophies he's going to have to collect.

Also S Williams is a vile racist drug fueled freak. No surprise to see the regulars on here in love with her.

I really dont undersand how you can acuse Djokervic or even Nadal of doping and say Federer and Murray are not, without any sort of strong evidence.

Also if you are going to make claims about Williams (being racist or even doping), then give some strong evidence.

It would be better if you just said you had suspicions about x, y or z.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
I really dont undersand how you can acuse Djokervic or even Nadal of doping and say Federer and Murray are not, without any sort of strong evidence.

Also if you are going to make claims about Williams (being racist or even doping), then give some strong evidence.

It would be better if you just said you had suspicions about x, y or z.
it would be better if he/she just refrained from posting.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This final is very similar to the 2012 Djoko Nadal Marathon de Sables.

Its been 3 hours to get to halfway into the 3rd set, and theyve just been smashing it none stop full power, 20 shot points all the way.

indeed, up to the mid-third set the intensity was crazy.

like in cycling, in tennis too there's currently a group of ca. 4-5 athletes that really rip the field apart in terms of stamina.
i'd say nadal, djoker, murray, wawrinka and perhaps federer.

that said, these five are all formidable athletes to begin with.
I mean, guys like Berdych/Delpotro/Tsonga might be on the same program, but they will not be able to bridge the gap to those four/five, as they seem either physically less talented (Berdych/Delpo being slightly too tall) or simply much less skilled (Tsonga).

as for Federer, anyone knows when was the last time he won a five-setter against anyone of those four topdogs?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Best summary article or website that connects the dots to Doping in Tennis?

Hi,

Is there a link to a good summary article or website that connects the dots to doping in Tennis? If one needed to send someone to one place to convince them that doping is widespread in Tennis where would you send them?

Thanks in advance!

Nik

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Hi,

Is there a link to a good summary article or website that connects the dots to doping in Tennis? If one needed to send someone to one place to convince them that doping is widespread in Tennis where would you send them?

Thanks in advance!

Nik
just read the quotes on http://www.tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com

forget everything, just read the quotes. And yes, one quote or two quotes can be misleading, like the aphorism on statistics.

But all those quotes from ex players and respected pundits?