Tennis

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nadal is obsessive compulsive and his game isn't flexible. Since he has to be in control of everything like walking on the white lines otherwise he starts spinning into a chaos. For instance his time violations, once the umpires started calling him (Carlos Bernardes) his game is falling apart very quickly. :D
 
Re:

70kmph said:
Nadal is obsessive compulsive and his game isn't flexible. Since he has to be in control of everything like walking on the white lines otherwise he starts spinning into a chaos. For instance his time violations, once the umpires started calling him (Carlos Bernardes) his game is falling apart very quickly. :D
i reckon thats a huge part of it - after he beat Scwartzman he did a winning display on court as though he had won the tournament - bizarre.

Now what about Marion Bartoli - WOW !! she's lost 13 kgs !!!
 

Attachments

Dec 30, 2010
850
0
0
I just want to pre-congratulate Serena on her GRAND SLAM (all 4 grand slam events in one calendar year).
Technically she hasn't won it yet, but at the age of 34 (about 10 years beyond a woman's traditional peak in tennis) she is UNSTOPPABLE !



AMERICA'S GREATEST FEMALE ATHLETE OF ALL TIME !
 
Sep 8, 2015
210
0
0
Re:

Zebadeedee said:
Whatever happened to WADA's Fuentes case appeal? It appears to have gone dead.
I know the wheels of justice grind slow, but is it really credible / feasible that it takes that long for an appeal to be heard? Is there any way of finding out how far through the Spanish court process the appeal is? E.g. FOI request (don't know if Spain has FOI legislation)
 
The age of the players in the men's game is hillarious. In a sport that historically has been dominated by people in their early 20's, with plenty of teenagers winning, everyone remotely good these days is nearing or past their 30th.

The top guys are exactly the same as they were 7, 8 years ago. Djoker 28. Murray 28. Tsonga 30. Federer 34.
The guys who break through are in their late 20's.
We have Wawrinka having a super improvement at 29, Ferrer did the same at 29, Gasquet is having a career year at 29. Lopez is having a career year at 33. Haas reached world number 11 aged 35.

In cycling, where development has historically been about 5 years behind tennis, (ie a 25 year old in cycling = a 20 year old in tennis), we look like we will have a second rider from the 1990's win a gt.

Not a single person from the 90's has even got to the final of a tennis GS.
 
Re:

The Hitch said:
The age of the players in the men's game is hillarious. In a sport that historically has been dominated by people in their early 20's, with plenty of teenagers winning, everyone remotely good these days is nearing or past their 30th. .
I agree that tennis is a bit of a joke (Stosur is the worst I can think of), but isn't this somewhat to do with more and more money coming into the sport, especially with sponsorships? They just don't wanna retire now, so they keep going and going. For example, these days, rather than retire with a bad injury, they'll work harder to get it fixed and keep making comebacks for the cash

I realize that tennis has always been relatively lucrative, but it's become much more so.

A similar thing has happened gradually with Australian cricketers: they used to snatch it in their early 30s at the latest, but now keep going until they drop because the money is massive
 
May 2, 2010
1,692
0
0
Re: Re:

Captain Serious said:
The Hitch said:
The age of the players in the men's game is hillarious. In a sport that historically has been dominated by people in their early 20's, with plenty of teenagers winning, everyone remotely good these days is nearing or past their 30th. .
I agree that tennis is a bit of a joke (Stosur is the worst I can think of), but isn't this somewhat to do with more and more money coming into the sport, especially with sponsorships? They just don't wanna retire now, so they keep going and going. For example, these days, rather than retire with a bad injury, they'll work harder to get it fixed and keep making comebacks for the cash

I realize that tennis has always been relatively lucrative, but it's become much more so.

A similar thing has happened gradually with Australian cricketers: they used to snatch it in their early 30s at the latest, but now keep going until they drop because the money is massive
Historically tennis players performances would drop quite a bit post 30. Whilst some would still play well into their 30s, generally speaking they would be sliding down the rankings. Hewitt is a pretty good example of what you would generally expect from a player as they age (not saying he is/was clean). For some guys now, age doesn't seem to have as much of an impact.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Well, Federer did slide down the rankings all the way from #1 to #2. He's a special case though. Probably the most naturally talented player ever. Never sick, never injured, rarely even sweats. And playing one more year is worth something like 30-40 million with his sponsorships.

If Djokovic slides and stretches all over the court at warp speed aged 33, that will be remarkable. It appears (his coach said so) that he is being proactive about gradually changing his game towards shorter points as he ages, though.
 
May 11, 2009
248
0
0
Serena Williams is getting beyond outrageous. This photo was taken at last night's match. Her arms look just as outsized as players like Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds in baseball.
 
Hey hey hey. Ease up on my favourite player Azarenka.
She's not fat and she's certainly not flexing. I'm sure you'd see a little more definition in the arms if she was tightly clenching her fists.
My undying adoration for Azarenka aside, I was wondering about the arm sleeves as well.
What's up with that?
 
May 13, 2009
407
0
9,280
Well add Flavia Pennetta to the list of aging stars who are getting better with age like a fine wine, at age 33 she just made her first grand slam final. (I have no idea if she uses, and I'm sure a lot of this has to do with a temporary lack of talented players on the women's side)
Serena is going to blow right thru her.
 
Dec 30, 2010
850
0
0
Re:

the sceptic said:
Maybe Nadal sucks now because he can't bring his hematocrit up to 65% for slams anymore due to the passport?

The "passport" went into full implementation (they need a few months of tests to establish a baseline) just over a year ago. Nadal hasn't won a slam since, even though he is just as strong as ever.

The first time in over 10 years that Nadal hasn't won at least one slam in a calendar year. Of course, his fanboys say that it is to be expected, since he is getting older. The reality is that most "defensive oriented" players are usually washed up by their 26th birthday (Borg, Wilander, Hewitt, Ferrero, Chang, ...). Nadal kept winning slams until he was 28.
 
Feb 3, 2013
198
0
0
Re: Re:

Andynonomous said:
The first time in over 10 years that Nadal hasn't won at least one slam in a calendar year. Of course, his fanboys say that it is to be expected, since he is getting older. The reality is that most "defensive oriented" players are usually washed up by their 26th birthday (Borg, Wilander, Hewitt, Ferrero, Chang, ...). Nadal kept winning slams until he was 28.
Agassi was a defensive/baseline type player and he had a career resurgence in his thirties.
 
Re: Re:

Andynonomous said:
the sceptic said:
Maybe Nadal sucks now because he can't bring his hematocrit up to 65% for slams anymore due to the passport?

The "passport" went into full implementation (they need a few months of tests to establish a baseline) just over a year ago. Nadal hasn't won a slam since, even though he is just as strong as ever.

The first time in over 10 years that Nadal hasn't won at least one slam in a calendar year. Of course, his fanboys say that it is to be expected, since he is getting older. The reality is that most "defensive oriented" players are usually washed up by their 26th birthday (Borg, Wilander, Hewitt, Ferrero, Chang, ...). Nadal kept winning slams until he was 28.
Borg didn't check out as a result of "grinding himself into the ground".
 
Re:

robow7 said:
Well add Flavia Pennetta to the list of aging stars who are getting better with age like a fine wine, at age 33 she just made her first grand slam final. (I have no idea if she uses, and I'm sure a lot of this has to do with a temporary lack of talented players on the women's side)
Serena is going to blow right thru her.
No, not really :D
 
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
robow7 said:
Well add Flavia Pennetta to the list of aging stars who are getting better with age like a fine wine, at age 33 she just made her first grand slam final. (I have no idea if she uses, and I'm sure a lot of this has to do with a temporary lack of talented players on the women's side)
Serena is going to blow right thru her.
No, not really :D
lol, so we have two Italian damsels in the final.
 
Re: Re:

iejeecee said:
Andynonomous said:
The first time in over 10 years that Nadal hasn't won at least one slam in a calendar year. Of course, his fanboys say that it is to be expected, since he is getting older. The reality is that most "defensive oriented" players are usually washed up by their 26th birthday (Borg, Wilander, Hewitt, Ferrero, Chang, ...). Nadal kept winning slams until he was 28.
Agassi was a defensive/baseline type player and he had a career resurgence in his thirties.
I think this was due to him stopping taking Meth. :p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY