• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

iejeecee said:
TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
Remember the Italian player who won Wimbledon and in her winners press conference announced her immediate retirement from the game in a flood of unhappy tears.......

That was Bartoli the French lady wasnt it?

There was a Italian lady who won the US Open last year and also immediately retired.

Flavia Pennetta - announced her retirement in the post match acceptance speech

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Zebadeedee said:
Plenty of evidence from which she could infer,
ow sure, but i think the question is if she can back it up in court with something tangible.

As an aside, Kimmage allows Agassi to destroy himself with his own words. The last sentence is just the icing. I could point out half a dozen things where Agassi gives himself away. Particularly telling is how he dissociates and emotes to effect denial, using Reyes as his shield. His description of the ATP is the very antithesis of how that organisation operated. The facts of his own doping positive provide definitive evidence of that. Its conflicted attitude to doping got to the point of the nandrolone scandal where the ITF was obliged to take the anti-doping job over (supposedly) from the ATP. Agassi descends into mumbo jumbo to get round Kimmage's awkward questions; classic b.llsh.t from a leading suspect.
A tad bit of credit to Agassi for not hanging up the phone or going completely berserk.
But it is as you say it is, especially the boldface, well said.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pennetta, bartoli, henin, and god knows how many others you could come up with who retired more or less out of the blue or got injured.
i like sharapova hinting at that when she says "at least i'm not gonna hide my positive behind an injury" (i think she says that on facebook).

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
pennetta, bartoli, henin, and god knows how many others you could come up with who retired more or less out of the blue or got injured.
i like sharapova hinting at that when she says "at least i'm not gonna hide my positive behind an injury" (i think she says that on facebook).

Henin's was the most bizarre retirement. World no.1 and retires a few weeks before the French Open which she was favourite for. Returns a few months prior to 2 years after the initial retirement.

I can kinda understand Pennetta & Bartoli retiring. For veterans, they were unlikely to ever win another slam, so probably retired with a feeling that it was never going to get better for them.

TheSpud said:
sniper said:
"Spanish blood bags"
That nicely fits the "anglophones dont dope" narrative, doesn't it.
If WADA need another fall guy they'll pop another Russian, Turkish, or Spanish athlete and nobody will blink an eye.

What happened to those bags - are we still waiting for a judgement on whether they can be kept?

Judges couldn't agree in January, so we're still waiting....

In the current climate, it's much harder for them to have these destroyed.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

arcus said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
"Spanish blood bags"
If WADA need another fall guy they'll pop another Russian, Turkish, or Spanish athlete and nobody will blink an eye.

What happened to those bags - are we still waiting for a judgement on whether they can be kept?

I would hazard a guess those blood bags are making someone a lot of money........destroying them might end that.

arcus said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
"Spanish blood bags"

They'd be past the SOL though so no case could be brought, although it would be rather embarrassing for people ...

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Zebadeedee said:

Looks like she's been taking lessons at the Tammy Thomas School of Tennis.

female-bodybuilder-steroids.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thrawn said:
sniper said:

Henin's was the most bizarre retirement. World no.1 and retires a few weeks before the French Open which she was favourite for. Returns a few months prior to 2 years after the initial retirement.

I can kinda understand Pennetta & Bartoli retiring. For veterans, they were unlikely to ever win another slam, so probably retired with a feeling that it was never going to get better for them.
i don't believe in this.
i don't think that's how the mind of professional athletes works.
you don't retire when you're at your best.
it happens in tennis remarkably often, but hardly in any other sport.

UN suspends Sharapova's role as goodwill ambassador......
The UN has suspended Maria Sharapova as a goodwill ambassador following the Russian tennis star’s admission that she tested positive for the banned substance meldonium at the Australian Open in January.
In light of Ms Sharapova’s recent announcement, we last week suspended her role as a goodwill ambassador and any planned activities while the investigation continues.
UN goodwill ambassadors are appointed on the basis that they are “persons of integrity” who “possess the personality and dignity required for such high-level representative capacity”.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/mar/15/united-nations-suspends-maria-sharapova-as-goodwill-ambassador

Ouch! She doesn't need any more money (she's allegedly worth ~$200M), but when the UN doesn't want you to help fight inequality and poverty, that's got to hurt.........

TheSpud said:
arcus said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
"Spanish blood bags"

They'd be past the SOL though so no case could be brought, although it would be rather embarrassing for people ...

I would go a lot further and say that the reputational damage would ruin careers.... Still a huge issue.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
lol at the UN.
I must admit, I find that particularly annoying.
Shows you where the problems lie. We've seen it all before with Lance.
The system that pushed and wanted him to dope and made millions off his back was the same system that dropped him like a rock the instant he got exposed.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
More than two dozen top tennis players should be investigated for possible links to betting rings, according to an Italian prosecutor.

Roberto di Martino says their names have appeared in evidence seized from gamblers suspected of fixing matches.

They include two players who have been ranked in the world's top 20.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35808571

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
lol at the UN.
I must admit, I find that particularly annoying.
Shows you where the problems lie. We've seen it all before with Lance.
The system that pushed and wanted him to dope and made millions off his back was the same system that dropped him like a rock the instant he got exposed.

Yep. SSDD, as they say.

Re:

Maxiton said:
More than two dozen top tennis players should be investigated for possible links to betting rings, according to an Italian prosecutor.

Roberto di Martino says their names have appeared in evidence seized from gamblers suspected of fixing matches.

In the current top 500 ATP rankings, only 48 players have been in the top 20.
Since they didn't mention top 10, I'm tempted to conclude it's players with peak ranking 11-20. The limits the number to ~15 players, although there may be others who were top 20, but are no longer ranked..... Of course, this might not be limited to the ATP.. The women might also be implicated.

Tennis: the Italian files.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07378dc

Re:

sniper said:

I think that was one hell of a thing. I am getting trashed now by the snakes that have covered up star after star, just when they think they have got all the mileage they can out of me.

Silent bans in Tennis seem like standard practice. Anyone looking closer to home last weekend and counting back on the calendar ?

May 14, 2010
Visit site

arcus said:
Maxiton said:

In the current top 500 ATP rankings, only 48 players have been in the top 20.
Since they didn't mention top 10, I'm tempted to conclude it's players with peak ranking 11-20. The limits the number to ~15 players, although there may be others who were top 20, but are no longer ranked..... Of course, this might not be limited to the ATP.. The women might also be implicated.

Tennis: the Italian files.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07378dc

Thanks for that. :)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Zebadeedee said:

Looks like she's been taking lessons at the Tammy Thomas School of Tennis.

female-bodybuilder-steroids.jpg

looks like he has been taking lessons in vascularity too.

I want someone to ask Aggasi and Jonathan Edwards how they can benchpress 150kg, or 300lbs.

yeah, I know 300lbs=/=150kg, but I got it wrong last time.

These weedy bast@rds can benchpress thru the roof. and they have no right too, well, Andre had a power-lifter coach in Gil Reyes, so ofcourse it is right and natural he knows lifting technique and can do 300lbs, and Edwards was a Protestant Minister with Muscular Christianity god on his side and training his type 1 fibres, so perfectly natural a'course

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I remember when dunny brush Petr Kordr the polish cat got busted for Clen, then Greg Rusedski, but I still cant work out if he was English or Canuck, but since I h8 Millar, I will call Rusedski an English carnt, there is no <strukethur> function so I can get a little tricky with canuck.

Then the ATPITFWTF started busting every South American and Argentinian tennis player not named Marcel Rios or Bull Ilie Nastase, usually for merely amphetamines and bit of South America's finest blow.