• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2016 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Martin said:
5th among most popular picks, however my only unique pick is Tom Boonen. Did I miss completely something? Well I know he was injurred last autum but he should recovered now... or not? As I read your posts, you havent even considered him:)

I considered Boonen too expensive with a price tag of 952. He can have a better season but not enough to consider him.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow skidmark, did't expect you got the excel sheet ready so quick. Thanks for your effort.

I think I have 3 unique picks, two zero pointers and Stybar. I guess Stybar as my most expensive pick was not the best choice, he probably won't double his score and 1100 points won't be a good return. As I don't have a GT contender like many other teams I look especially forward to the spring, smaller stage races and Olympic & Worlds. Won't score at the first Nationals for sure. ;)

My team:

ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David
BARGUIL Warren
BATTAGLIN Enrico
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
CANCELLARA Fabian
CIOLEK Gerald
DE PLUS Laurens
DEMARE Arnaud
DIAZ Daniel Ricardo
FORMOLO Davide
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
GERRANS Simon
HERKLOTZ Silvio
KITTEL Marcel
LANGEVELD Sebastian
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
MANZIN Lorrenzo
MARTIN Daniel
MARTINEZ Yannick
MEERSMAN Gianni
MEZGEC Luka
PHINNEY Taylor
POWER Robert
SENECHAL Florian
STUYVEN Jasper
SWIFT Ben
TALANSKY Andrew
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
VELITS Peter
VERVAEKE Louis
WIPPERT Wouter

1st time I'm participating in this game and my main goal is to not get last :D

Generally I really should have spent more time with my team because I just missed some extremely obvious riders. For example I don't have Gerrans in my team not because I think he wouldnt be a good pick but because I simply overlooked him :eek:
I also have a few riders which I don't even know, but I had some points left so I just took riders with 5 points or less who ride for WT or pro continental teams.

LANDA MEANA Mikel
EWAN Caleb
MARTIN Daniel
ROSA Diego
KITTEL Marcel
FEILLU Brice
HIRT Jan
ZABEL Rick
RENSHAW Mark
KRIZEK Matthias
QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney
GAUTIER Cyril
DEMARE Arnaud
CANCELLARA Fabian
DENIFL Stefan
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
KADRI Blel
MARTIN Tony
FOURNIER Marc
NERZ Dominik
EISEL Bernhard
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
ZAUGG Oliver
KURBATOV Alexey
RESTREPO VALENCIA Jhonatan
VELITS Peter
AYAZBAYEV Maxat
LATON Eryk
BROZYNA Piotr
SUTHERLAND Rory

skidmark said:
okay gotta go make dinner so I'll be back in a bit but here's team skids 2016. If anyone's been paying attention for the last 5 years, you know that I end up picking riders that alot of people end up picking, and that's no different this year. This year, I have two riders who will probably end up being key for me, as they are the only ones I have on less than ten teams. Chavanel and Grosu, fingers crossed!

MARTIN Tony
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
MARTIN Daniel
DEMARE Arnaud
CANCELLARA Fabian
CHAVANEL Sylvain
BARGUIL Warren
FORMOLO Davide
TALANSKY Andrew
MEERSMAN Gianni
GROSU Eduard-Michael
GERRANS Simon
VICHOT Arthur
CORT NIELSEN Magnus
PHINNEY Taylor
KITTEL Marcel
STUYVEN Jasper
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
KUDUS GHEBREMEDHIN Merhawi
CRADDOCK Lawson
MOHORIC Matej
KÄMNA Lennard
ENGER Sondre Holst
MARTIN Guillaume
BAUHAUS Phil
HERKLOTZ Silvio
PETIT Adrien
VERVAEKE Louis
MARTINEZ Yannick
GOSS Matthew

The all-time leader team deserves a few comments, and again it looks like a very strong team that could easily win and that also as usual looks a bit like my own team. All the must have riders are there, and I agree with your analysis on Chavanel, that all the GT riding last year was stupid and that he has huge potential too improove big despite the age with a more suited raceprogram. I myself ended up going against my head on him, due to previous years where I have failed a lot with the picking of old riders so I choose young Bennett instead in that pricerange. But I think Chavanel will be a good pick for you.

Formolo should be a safe bet as you have mentioned. Should be able to improve and wont fail and you never know if he can improve a lot despite perhaps more expecting a steady small improvement. Same with Grosu. For Grosu though I doubt his raceprogram will allow much chance of a huge improvement so I did not really considder him much myself. He would also be my pick as your weakest link if one is too be found. But that could easily be proven wrong.

Petit is a interesting pick, I felt he had turned into a pure leadout lately and also was signed in that role now, so I quickly forgot about him now, but should that not be the case the potential to improve is big for him. And for the price he cant fail. Could be your joker.

And then all the younger cheaper guys you have picked that I have not like Cort, Stuyven, Kudus, Craddock, Kämna, Mohoric, Enger, G. Martin and Bauhaus they are all riders that I also had close into consideration and had deemed worthy of a place in my team should the puzzle fit. So all in all a very strong team.

Re: Re:

GP Blanco said:
Martin said:
5th among most popular picks, however my only unique pick is Tom Boonen. Did I miss completely something? Well I know he was injurred last autum but he should recovered now... or not? As I read your posts, you havent even considered him:)

I considered Boonen too expensive with a price tag of 952. He can have a better season but not enough to consider him.
Well some guys gambled more I think:) Like those who picked Nibali.. Boonen missed out his major spring campaign due to an injury, some people picked Styby (who is also on the same price level), but comparing those two, I think Boonen will score more, he is still no.1 for spring classics at EQS, and my hope is he will bring 1500+.
PS good luck to you all:)

Well here is my team. Hoping for a miracle and I can get back to 2013 form when I finished 4th. Been average lst few years.

MAJKA Rafal
LANDA MEANA Mikel
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
TRENTIN Matteo
MARTIN Daniel
CANCELLARA Fabian
BARGUIL Warren
ROWE Luke
TALANSKY Andrew
PHINNEY Taylor
SENECHAL Florian
KITTEL Marcel
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
LANGEVELD Sebastian
VANENDERT Jelle
MOHORIC Matej
HAIG Jack
RUFFONI Nicola
VAN ROOY Kenneth
OFFREDO Yoann
HERKLOTZ Silvio
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo
EISEL Bernhard
STETINA Peter
DI GREGORIO Rémy
FRISON Frederik
GOSS Matthew
VELITS Peter

For me the key picks I think are going to be Majka and Landa. Taken a bit of a punt on Majka, but hopefully it will pay off.
Trentin is my only unique pick, and I procrastinated over putting him in for a long time. I just have a feeling he is due a real breakthrough victory.

Only really popular picks I have not gone for are Gerrans and Demare. Not too fussed about leaving Gerrans out, Demare would have liked to have got him in but just could not find the room.

There were a few others who were on the list for a long time like Craddock, Van Keirsbulck and Tony Martin, but in the end I am fairly happy with who I have gone for.

Good luck all.

A big thank you for skidmark for doing this again! The goal is to be, at least, above the middle of the pack. Cheers!

MARTIN Tony
MEINTJES Louis
YATES Simon
CANCELLARA Fabian
BARGUIL Warren
BOOM Lars
ALBASINI Michael
TALANSKY Andrew
KÜNG Stefan
DOWSETT Alex
MOSER Moreno
BRÄNDLE Matthias
GERRANS Simon
GERTS Floris
ELISSONDE Kenny
CORT NIELSEN Magnus
PHINNEY Taylor
KITTEL Marcel
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
LANGEVELD Sebastian
HAIG Jack
WESTRA Lieuwe
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo
HOOGERLAND Johnny
VELITS Martin
CAPECCHI Eros
JEANNESSON Arnold
FRANKINY Kilian
BOS Theo

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Seems like this year, most teams are quite unique to a degree. Seems like there was an incredible pool of medium range picks that will most likely decide this game. Should be an exciting game and I can imagine frequent reshuffling until after the TdF ... unless last year winner Cykeltyven with his somewhat unique team will once again dominate the game from the beginning.

Here's my team with elaborations when needed:

The obvious ones - no explanation needed:

KITTEL Martin
GERRANS Simon
MARTIN Daniel
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
CANCELLARA Fabian
DEMARE Arnaud
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
MARTIN Tony
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael

The expensive one:

KWIATKOWSKI Michal

Kwiatkowski was the only really expensive rider i ever really considered. His ceiling is sky high and he has the potential and skills to "easily" score 2000+ point.

The cheap ones - less than 100 points:

HAIG Jack
RUFFONI Nicola
BAUHAUS Phil
MARTINELLI Davide
HERKLOTZ Silvio
VERVAEKE Louis

This category could just as well have been named "the young ones". A lot of talent here and I will be surprised if they won't all return a decent profit.

The less than obvious ones - those not picked very often:

POZZATO Filippo
FARRAR Tyler
BYSTRØM Sven Erik
CIOLEK Gerald
VILLELLA Davide
MOSCON Gianni
DE PLUS Laurens

This is quite the mix of riders. Some old ones who might be over the hill but hopefully aren't.
Pozzato will be the undisputed leader in a variety of races and has proven his talent time and time again. Bit of a gamble as he seems to be declining, but I hope he can find some of his old form again. The same is true for Farrar and Ciolek. The former will probably have some domestique duties but with the departure of Goss, Ciolek and - because of the track - Bos, he might get his chances in a few races. Also, Farrar could be an important rider in the cobbled classics for DDD. Ciolek is the big name at Stölting and honestly I'm a bit surprised that he isn't more popular. I think he'll easily tripple his score and could be looking at an even better season.

Bystrøm, Villella, Moscon and De Plus are all big talents. Bystrøm was very strong last year even though he didn't score a lot and I think he'll have a breakthrough season. Villella I don't really know about. Honestly I just saw that he didn't score very many points and he's still young and then I picked him. Moscon and De Plus are somewhat gambles I feel and I'm really not sure about them. Etixx has a history of utilizing their young riders very well, and they usually score quite a bit of points. Sky is a different story though, and Moscon could turn out to be a mistake despite his huge talent.

The rest:

MEERSMAN Gianni
MEZGEC Luka
STUYVEN Jasper
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
VANENDERT Jelle

I didn't know where to put these riders so they got their own category. Coming off two very good seasons (CQ wise), Meersman had his worst season since 2011. To me he's a "classical" CQ game rider and a quite easy pick for me. Mezgec had a horror season and I guess I'm just hoping he gets back to his high scoring 2014 season. CQ wise, Orica might not be the best team for him, and he's definitely one of the riders I was the most unsure about. Stuyven I'm pretty happy with. CQ wise he hasn't improved much since 2013 but he's definitely improved on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a real breakthrough season scoring 500+ points. Soler is a big talent, though unfortunately he's at a star-studded team which might limit his chances but I just felt like I couldn't leave him out. Vanendert was one of the riders who was in and out of my team like a million times. I'm still not sure. I've never really been a fan of his and I honestly don't even think he's a very good rider but on the other hand he might just turn a profit in a single race.

The ones I left out - and now regret:

CHAVANEL Sylvain
PHINNEY Taylor

Chavanel I initially had in my team but got the boot later on. Reading the analysis of him now makes me regret this. A very good pick I feel like. Phinney should have been in my team. That's simply an oversight.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:

KITTEL Martin
GERRANS Simon
MARTIN Daniel
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
CANCELLARA Fabian
DEMARE Arnaud

VAN GARDEREN Tejay - 58.33%
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 53%
MARTIN Tony 51.38%
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David 41.66%
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael 49.3%

I would argue only the highlighted in red are the obvious picks as those are on at least 2/3 of the teams (97-132) and should have little impact on the game.

Arredondo picked by less than 42% is not an obvious pick and even TJ was picked by 58% so it is not like he is on every team.

I actually think that having only 8 very common riders is quite good for the game.

MADRAZO said:
skidmark said:
The all-time leader team deserves a few comments, and again it looks like a very strong team that could easily win and that also as usual looks a bit like my own team. All the must have riders are there, and I agree with your analysis on Chavanel, that all the GT riding last year was stupid and that he has huge potential too improove big despite the age with a more suited raceprogram. I myself ended up going against my head on him, due to previous years where I have failed a lot with the picking of old riders so I choose young Bennett instead in that pricerange. But I think Chavanel will be a good pick for you.

Formolo should be a safe bet as you have mentioned. Should be able to improve and wont fail and you never know if he can improve a lot despite perhaps more expecting a steady small improvement. Same with Grosu. For Grosu though I doubt his raceprogram will allow much chance of a huge improvement so I did not really considder him much myself. He would also be my pick as your weakest link if one is too be found. But that could easily be proven wrong.

Petit is a interesting pick, I felt he had turned into a pure leadout lately and also was signed in that role now, so I quickly forgot about him now, but should that not be the case the potential to improve is big for him. And for the price he cant fail. Could be your joker.

And then all the younger cheaper guys you have picked that I have not like Cort, Stuyven, Kudus, Craddock, Kämna, Mohoric, Enger, G. Martin and Bauhaus they are all riders that I also had close into consideration and had deemed worthy of a place in my team should the puzzle fit. So all in all a very strong team.

Bennett could be a good pick for you. I had him a couple of years ago when he went from 121 to around 400, and that was because he was 23 already and moving to a PCT team where he'd be sprint leader. Last year he treaded water points-wise, but learned the ropes in the Tour. This year if he's the featured sprinter on big races, he knows what to do. Still, I decided against him as I thought his return might be in the 600 range rather than the preferred >800 range.

I looked at Grosu similarly to Bennett actually, except a step below. He picked up 266 points riding CT in 2014, but with 146 of them coming from the Tour of Estonia. Those inflated scores always make me pass on riders, like Mareczko, who scored so many points at the end of the season with no competition. So holding at 266 in 2015 means he picked up points in more races, and most were in September and October, suggesting he progressed as his neo-pro season went along. If he does that all year this year and also improves skill-wise, I'm doing great. If not so much, he'll still get his chances and more than break even. I'm more willing to do that with 266 points than >400. So yeah, he's my weakest link in terms of 'most speculative' sense, but I convinced at least myself he was worth a shot. Throw enough 1.1 and 1.HC Italian races at the wall and something is bound to stick.

Petit was my last pick - I had enough points for either him or Ten Dam, and I read an interview with him where he said he'd help Coquard in the big races and go for his own chances in the smaller ones. We will see, at least he's out of the talent development graveyard that is Cofidis.

Jancouver said:
Hugo Koblet said:

KITTEL Martin
GERRANS Simon
MARTIN Daniel
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
CANCELLARA Fabian
DEMARE Arnaud

VAN GARDEREN Tejay - 58.33%
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 53%
MARTIN Tony 51.38%
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David 41.66%
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael 49.3%

I would argue only the highlighted in red are the obvious picks on at least 2/3 of the teams (97-132) and should have little impact on the game.

Arredondo picked by less than 42% is not an obvious pick and even TJ was picked by 58% so it is not like he is on every team.

I actually think that having only 8 very common riders is quite good for the game.
Oh, maybe some do require an explanation then :D What I meant by the category was that they were obvious picks to me. Also, I think that even though some are only picked by roughly half the competitors, I think most understand why the riders in question have been picked and therefore don't really require an explanation. For instance, I don't have Talansky in my team but I can certainly see the reason why many teams have picked him.

skidmark said:
MADRAZO said:
skidmark said:

Bennett could be a good pick for you. I had him a couple of years ago when he went from 121 to around 400, and that was because he was 23 already and moving to a PCT team where he'd be sprint leader. Last year he treaded water points-wise, but learned the ropes in the Tour. This year if he's the featured sprinter on big races, he knows what to do. Still, I decided against him as I thought his return might be in the 600 range rather than the preferred >800 range.

I looked at Grosu similarly to Bennett actually, except a step below. He picked up 266 points riding CT in 2014, but with 146 of them coming from the Tour of Estonia. Those inflated scores always make me pass on riders, like Mareczko, who scored so many points at the end of the season with no competition. So holding at 266 in 2015 means he picked up points in more races, and most were in September and October, suggesting he progressed as his neo-pro season went along. If he does that all year this year and also improves skill-wise, I'm doing great. If not so much, he'll still get his chances and more than break even. I'm more willing to do that with 266 points than >400. So yeah, he's my weakest link in terms of 'most speculative' sense, but I convinced at least myself he was worth a shot. Throw enough 1.1 and 1.HC Italian races at the wall and something is bound to stick.

Petit was my last pick - I had enough points for either him or Ten Dam, and I read an interview with him where he said he'd help Coquard in the big races and go for his own chances in the smaller ones. We will see, at least he's out of the talent development graveyard that is Cofidis.

I read the exact same interview and used it to reassure me for not picking him!

Some of the unique picks are surpring to say the least!

Wellens will only get better, though he is a risk perhaps at 700+

And Sky are unlikely to make that bad a mess of Intxausti, only 350 odd points. Both were on my long list.

And what a fall from grace for Cavendish. From most popular pick last year (?) to only one believer this

My unique pick was Frederik Backaert who caught my eye in the 4 days of Dunkirk last year. Just hoping he wasn't a one-week wonder

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's the team I put together for this year 60th on the popular list year a big jump for me.
MOLLEMA Bauke 1128
VAN GARDEREN Tejay 622
MARTIN Daniel 526
DEMARE Arnaud 464
CANCELLARA Fabian 449
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 399
TALANSKY Andrew 330
CARUSO Damiano 320
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 297
MEERSMAN Gianni 276
GERRANS Simon 244
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David 213
HAAS Nathan 202
CORT NIELSEN Magnus 201
REIJNEN Kiel 176
PHINNEY Taylor 174
KITTEL Marcel 164
POZZATO Filippo 162
STUYVEN Jasper 160
DE GENDT Thomas 150
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto 149
CIOLEK Gerald 128
HOELGAARD Daniel 126
LANGEVELD Sebastian 104
BUSCHE Matthew 103
STETINA Peter 50
VAN ZYL Johann 49
FENN Andrew 43
QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney 43
PELLAUD Simon 28
GOSS Matthew 10
OLIVIER Daan 5
VELITS Peter 5

The only people I was unsure about was MOLLEMA Bauke,DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd,REIJNEN Kiel. I almost switched them out at the last minute with KREUZIGER Roman,MARTIN Tony,JUNGELS Bob. there would have been a 1 pt difference but still under the limit. Now I wish I had changed them around but we'll see what happens.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
My first go at this and, as a "visitor" from another sport, armchair enthusiast etc I didn't have a very well defined strategy. I can see now that I should have picked an ITT specialist and a frequent stage winner like Kittel. My only strategy was to pick riders who I thought had a good chance of improving their return....many of which are neo-pros and total guess work (hence including a rider who has quit). So, I am right down at the bottom of the popularity picks chart. As long as my position on the final chart is above that, I will consider it a result.

Happy to be the class clown. Here are my picks

FORMOLO Davide
EWAN Caleb
BARDET Romain
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
LANDA MEANA Mikel
AYAZBAYEV Maxat
PACIONI Luca
FRANKINY Kilian
PEARSON Daniel
CATTANEO Mattia
SCHELLING Patrick
LATHAM Christopher
GESBERT Elie
PELLAUD Simon
LAWLESS Christopher
SAGAN Juraj
FENN Andrew
AREGGER Marcel
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo
FLAKEMORE Campbell
BOHLI Tom
PETERS Alex
POLITT Nils
YATES Adam
YATES Simon
HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus
MERLIER Tim

Pearson, Peters, Latham and Lawless are all in my youth team and have a self-imposed rule about no crossover between the two. Really looking forward to seeing how Lawless goes this year

I wonder if we're the only ones to have both Yates? Pure fanboyism on my part in a way, but couldn't see much better value at around the same price. Apart from those two, we only agree on Formolo so I don't think we'll be neck-and-neck most weeks!

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
This year I decided to go with 2 1000+ riders because I really think they both have a good chance to go 2000+ if they get some decent results.
I will talk more about my picks and the reason I got them but first I would be really interested in what some of you guys think about Tom Dumoulin. He costs 1357 but in my opinion he can score in almost every race that he participate so 2000+ is not out of his reach especially with Rio comin up. Do you like him as a pick or I'm missing something?

DUMOULIN Tom 1357
KWIATKOWSKI Michal 1133
MARTIN Tony 624
DEMARE Arnaud 464
CANCELLARA Fabian 449
BARGUIL Warren 443
LUTSENKO Alexey 349
TALANSKY Andrew 330
GROSU Eduard-Michael 266
TEUNISSEN Mike 261
GERRANS Simon 244
PHINNEY Taylor 174
KITTEL Marcel 164
BATTAGLIN Enrico 156
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto 149
KUDUS GHEBREMEDHIN Merhawi 131
VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume 122
MARKUS Barry 118
ANDERSEN Asbjørn Kragh 83
DE BUYST Jasper 75
PARDILLA BELLON Sergio 75
TEN DAM Laurens 65
HERKLOTZ Silvio 52
NERZ Dominik 48
DANIEL Maxime 38
CAPECCHI Eros 35
ROSON GARCIA Jaime 34
DINIZ Alex Correia 26
MARTINEZ Yannick 25
VELITS Peter 5
BOS Theo 3
BOUHANNI Rayane 0
ANDREETTA Simone

postmanhat said:
armchairclimber said:
My first go at this and, as a "visitor" from another sport, armchair enthusiast etc I didn't have a very well defined strategy. I can see now that I should have picked an ITT specialist and a frequent stage winner like Kittel. My only strategy was to pick riders who I thought had a good chance of improving their return....many of which are neo-pros and total guess work (hence including a rider who has quit). So, I am right down at the bottom of the popularity picks chart. As long as my position on the final chart is above that, I will consider it a result.

Happy to be the class clown. Here are my picks

FORMOLO Davide
EWAN Caleb
BARDET Romain
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
LANDA MEANA Mikel
AYAZBAYEV Maxat
PACIONI Luca
FRANKINY Kilian
PEARSON Daniel
CATTANEO Mattia
SCHELLING Patrick
LATHAM Christopher
GESBERT Elie
PELLAUD Simon
LAWLESS Christopher
SAGAN Juraj
FENN Andrew
AREGGER Marcel
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo
FLAKEMORE Campbell
BOHLI Tom
PETERS Alex
POLITT Nils
YATES Adam
YATES Simon
HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus
MERLIER Tim

Pearson, Peters, Latham and Lawless are all in my youth team and have a self-imposed rule about no crossover between the two. Really looking forward to seeing how Lawless goes this year

I wonder if we're the only ones to have both Yates? Pure fanboyism on my part in a way, but couldn't see much better value at around the same price. Apart from those two, we only agree on Formolo so I don't think we'll be neck-and-neck most weeks!

a quick look at the popularity tab shows 8 teams have both. You guys, plus abbulf, axis, DJW, escartin, Roubaix, and fool on the hill.

Any opinions on Lennard Kamna from the 24 teams who picked him (or anyone else)? For me he was one of the most interesting picks, as he's soooo young (he won't turn 20 until almost the end of the season). There is very little track record for a 19 year old at this level in a full season - Mohoric did poorly, Felline got 288 points but turned 20 in March, Sagan was only 19 for a few weeks of his neo-pro season... even Cancellara turned 20 in March of his neo-pro season (and even then, got less than 200 points). Then again, he's such an obvious talent, finishing top 15 in Bayern Rundfart. He's got an incredible TT - first year of U23 and would have won the Worlds easily if not for the change in wind. If you've got a TT and can hang in on other stages, you can get some good GC points, for sure. And then being on Stolting, which is a bit thin for a PCT team, to say the least, my guess is he'll probably get the kind of freedom you wouldn't get on, say, Cannondale if you're Mohoric (not that Matej could have done better that year anyway, he just wasn't there in terms of endurance).

Anyway, I hesitated on him because I fear that despite his talent his ceiling may be too low, like I can't see him getting 400-500 points as a 19-year old. But in the end I took him because I'm lured in by the siren song of unpredictable young talent.

Thoughts?

Have one or two really obvious picks, like Kittel, Cancellara, Gaviria and Demare, but also some unique picks: Asadov, Krieger, Ockoleon and Alizadeh. A few other rare ones and that explains why I'm 124th in the popularity contest.

I'm surprised about Fedi, really. Not many people picked him and he's a great talent. Teuns had a pretty bad year last year, so I expect better now he's older and wiser.

OTOH I left out Phinney and Gerrans. Which I both overlooked

FORMOLO Davide
KITTEL Marcel
KRIEGER Alexander
BERNARD Julien
FEDI Andrea
PELUCCHI Matteo
ALIZADEH Hossein
ASADOV Elchin
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
HIRT Jan
RUFFONI Nicola
KUDUS GHEBREMEDHIN Merhawi
PEDERSEN Mads
BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel
BONNAMOUR Franck
PARDILLA BELLON Sergio
BYSTRØM Sven Erik
BATTAGLIN Enrico
TEUNS Dylan
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
CANCELLARA Fabian
FRANK Mathias
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
MEERSMAN Gianni
DEMARE Arnaud
KÜNG Stefan
OCKELOEN Jasper
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
MEINTJES Louis
ROSON GARCIA Jaime
KÄMNA Lennard
YATES Adam

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This year had many must have picks. Which take out part of the fun.

These are the riders who will impact my team results the most:
KELDERMAN Wilco (13)
OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe Santos Simoes (3)
LUTSENKO Alexey (15)
VAN DER SANDE Tosh (3)
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos (3)

Shocked so few picked Kelderman, I thought he would be one of the most common picks. Oliveira, Van Der Sande and Verona are in the "riders who will surprise/blow up category". Lutsenko, hopping he can fulfill the expectations I had last season.

Of the obvious picks, I don't have Betancur and Gerrans. Gerrans didn't even crossed my mind and Betancur I rejected purposely. I don't want to root for him, his lack of dedication and effort aren't pleasant. I don't care if I lose a great pick, I just can't support a guy like him.

Regrets
Vakoc, I have the gut feeling I had two years ago with Dumoulin and last year with Alaphilippe, yet I didn't choose him.