• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2016 Tour of Britain (2.HC) 04/09-11/09/2016

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On topic, it's a day for the sprinters today. The Cat and Fiddle shouldn't trouble anyone (it's about the easiest "name" climb in the UK I think) and that long run in to the finish (50km) means the break is doomed. No-one with GC ambitions will risk being tired for tomorrow which has the potential to be brilliant.

Local forumite fact: This route is littered with names of villages and towns that I used to play rugby against. Alderley Edge, Alsager, Crewe, Middlewich, Sandbach (pronounced sand-batch), Mobberley. Guessing tomorrow will be similar while in North Wales.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jaunty Monty said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
you can't just have a one day classic. they are born 100 years ago or something. they tried in the 90s with rochester, wincanton etc but they failed and nobody cared. in europe you can lay out 10.000 classics, but courses are everywhere but race history isn't

San Sebastián started in 81. Strade Bianche in 2007. Liège–Bastogne–Liège, etc. may have started over 100 years old but it didn't take 100 years for them to be considered 'classics'.

Every race has to start somewhere and its up to the riders and fans to determine when it deserves classic status. Over the past 5 years the UK have shown that fans will turn out to see quality fields. The UK can do better than London-Surrey.
I don´t think anyone considers classica san sebastian a classic, not even the amstel gold race, which is 60 years old?

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

King Boonen said:
That's a great example, although I'm not sure we can provide the guaranteed beauty Strade Bianche does over here...

They should have it in the Lake District - ONE day there will be a Bike Race in the Lakes and it's not raining, and it will look gorgeous and viewers will go 'OOOOOOOOOooooohhh that looks nice' and the Lake District Tourist Board will be over the moon.

Of course the unsuspecting Tourists will then turn up in flip-flops and bikinis and freeze to death on Scafell Pike, but you can't have everything.

A one day classic in UK is a definite possibility....And teams will come if in the right place inthe calendar and there is money...Imean where would you get crowds like that beyond the Tour and PR/RVV

How did the London Brigton Classici get World Tour status ? TdeYprkshoire is so much better than that

I love a stage like yesterday & final day of Yorkshire because there is not script and anyhting can happen

Put race on the 2nd Sunday in August ...week after San Seb and (here's a novel idea) ...have it in Scotland/Wales/Engalnd/NI in rotation ...rolling climbing race ...its possible

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The UK is in dire need of a proper 'World Cup' Classic.

However to do this any organiser needs to be prepared to:

(a) engage with local riders/clubs in an area to ascertain the best back roads and unknown 'monts' in that area
(b) be prepared for massive push back from locals in shutting what are essentially country lanes

Races set up over A & B roads without that real hardman's classic style route simply don't cut the mustard anymore.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Peloton's lack of desire to chase is ridiculous ...What about Lotto or OBE...or indee Lotto NLJ

What is wrong with these guys ...do they not want a stage win

If I was Tony Martin I'd be well pi**ed

Lotto have a stage win and Greipel was in the break yesterday so I can understand them not riding. Other teams should of course but there will be tired riders from yesterday and they will be worried about tomorrow's stage.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Peloton's lack of desire to chase is ridiculous ...What about Lotto or OBE...or indee Lotto NLJ

why should tony be pissed? havent watched till now

JRanton said:
HelloDolly said:

Lotto have a stage win and Greipel was in the break yesterday so I can understand them not riding. Other teams should of course but there will be tired riders from yesterday and they will be worried about tomorrow's stage.

Yep, general opinion is tomorrow's stage will be brutal, much harder than the profile suggests and up and down all day. Stannard said before the stage start today he'd go in the break as he knew there was a big chance nobody would chase.