• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice work on the graph guys!

Apart from that this week has been terrible for me. Bye bye top 10.

Gotta stay hopeful, maybe next week can see me return :p

Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde
VAN KEIRSBULCK, Guillaume

Former winner who has been showing decent shape so far, could go well.

Ronde van Vlaanderen
DILLIER, Silvan
DEGENKOLB, John
GOUGEARD, Alexis
BRESCHEL, Matti
BOOM, Lars
VAN KEIRSBULCK, Guillaume

My cobbled team hasn't been very well so far. Dillier and Van Keirsbulck did well in some smaller races, but I don't really see them scoring significant points here. Breschel and Boom have been very disappointing so far. Degenkolb actually looked very strong, but everybody has Degenkolb. I'd need some crazy luck for one of these guys to try and anticipate the finale in some tactical move and get very lucky with how the race develops. But normally, expect for GVK (and maybe PR which suits some of these folks better), my cobbled season has been disappointing. :(

La Roue Tourangelle
BERNAL, Egan Arley
VENDRAME, Andrea

Vuelta al Pais Vasco
KÖNIG, Leopold
VALLS, Rafael
MAMYKIN, Matvey
ROGLIČ, Primož
FRAILE, Omar
KWIATKOWSKI, Michal
MEINTJES, Louis

This could be good. Rogla has been very good so far and Valls and Meintjes got screwed a bit in Catalunya by a 40km TTT and some bad weather with both of them tiny and skinny. Valls especially has actually been quite good this season and is already into profit.

Re:

Tigerion said:
Ok, final update to the graph thing
All current data has been entered so you can now see how your team has progressed bu changing the names on the graph sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehcpqfo2ix6r7vi/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph%20with%20data.xlsx?dl=0

Currently is is set so you can see the rise of the top 10 teams - and the glorious decent of 1 team

Thanks! That looks like an interesting start - so it's just the 'graph' and 'graph data' tabs that are new, and then when I update, do I have to add an extra column and copy the 'current rank' onto it? I'll try to play around with it this week. With that table of weekly rankings (which is something I've thought about in the past anyway), there are probably lots of different possibilities. Even looking at the pattern of placings themselves are interesting.

Sidenote to all - no update yet at CQ and I've got to work all day so it won't come until later.

Re: Re:

skidmark said:
Tigerion said:
Ok, final update to the graph thing
All current data has been entered so you can now see how your team has progressed bu changing the names on the graph sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehcpqfo2ix6r7vi/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph%20with%20data.xlsx?dl=0

Currently is is set so you can see the rise of the top 10 teams - and the glorious decent of 1 team

Thanks! That looks like an interesting start - so it's just the 'graph' and 'graph data' tabs that are new, and then when I update, do I have to add an extra column and copy the 'current rank' onto it? I'll try to play around with it this week. With that table of weekly rankings (which is something I've thought about in the past anyway), there are probably lots of different possibilities. Even looking at the pattern of placings themselves are interesting.

Sidenote to all - no update yet at CQ and I've got to work all day so it won't come until later.

Yes they are the only 2 new sheets, didn't want to mess with anything else in the sheet in case I stuffed up the update.
In 'graph data' Column C is pulled straight from the rankings page so once that is update it should show the new values. So then just copy that into a new column between column C & column D
I haven't spent much time on the actual graph page and getting it autopopulating each week so that might need a bit of tweaking. You should just be able to add a column between b & c and fill across.
It also looks like in the changes some of the chart data was dropped so you might need to right click the centre of the graph >> click 'Select data' and then highlight everything from A1 to M12

Still no CQ update... well, I guess I'll just talk about my own team.

I guess last week was not as bad as I feared, not as good as it could have been. Lampaert's victory takes alot of pressure off the rest of the team, which is good because they were mediocre. Coppi e Bartali was particularly disappointing, with Arredondo the only DNF on the first day, Dombrowski still looking like he wants to ride in the grupetto all the time, and Sepulveda a frustratingly anonymous 17th (I don't understand how he lost 19 seconds the first day and 58 in the TTT and then was over 2 minutes behind, that math is weird but whatever). But with the four big one-day Belgian races, no really popular riders that I missed out on took too many points, and big names/rare riders took the top spots in Catalunya too. Gaviria and Benoot got some points, but it could have been worse for my non-picks.

This week:

De Panne

Simone Consonni
Lasse Norman Hansen
EM Grosu
Guillaume van Keirsbulck

I was really hoping Lampaert was going to take part in this one, with his TT he would have had a good chance at a high finish. Nevertheless, GVK is a good threat here, a strong guy with a good TT. Hansen has the qualities it would take to succeed in this race - good punch, lots of power, but I dunno if that will translate to this race. I'm hopeful. The other two I don't have much in the way of expectations.

I don't have anyone for the French 1.1 race this week, the list isn't up for GP Mig yet, and for Limburg I have Grosu and Ponzi, the latter of which can do something if he ever gets form back. The big one of the week is...

Flanders

Yves Lampaert
Taylor Phinney
John Degenkolb
Alexis Gougeard
Owain Doull
Phil Bauhaus
Simone Consonni
Filippo Ganna
Edward Planckaert
Guillaume Van Keirsbulck

Wow, alot of riders, but really not much chance. Degenkolb can hang, but Roubaix is gonna be more his thing. Same with Lampaert and GVK. The rest? Phinney has basically not raced so I would expect 5 points for finishing as his ceiling; Gougeard will either be in the early break or dropped after 200k (or both), and the rest are neo-pros save Bauhaus, who is obviously just filling out the numbers. Come on, Pais Vasco!

I reckon I have scored around 670 points in the last update. I needed that, as I have dropped like a stone from Top 15 in January to the bottom third of the table.

We are around a quarter of the way through the calendar year. Here are my riders that have scored less than 25% of their points last year.

Filippo Ganna (5 points, 40 last year, 13%) I thought he was a cheap pick with high upside. I couldn't decide between him and Restrepo and eventually threw them both in after rejigging high up the order. He is only 20, so I it is unrealistic to expect too much of him. But he has yet to finish a 1 day race, although he has finished two stage races.

Kris Boeckmans (5 points, 60 last year, 8%) I really thought this was my best pick. He was the first name on my team sheet. Last autumn, he seemed well on the way to recovery from his injury. This year is confusing to me. He has one Top 50 finish in 13 race days, 46th in a stage of Etoile Besseges.

Robert Power (5 points, 77 last year, 6%). Guess he is doing okay. I am glad he has kms in his legs. I always expected more in the second half of the year from him.

Neilsen Powless (4 points, 115 last year, 3%) I had hoped he would dominate the US stage racing scene and pick up some handy points in a few forays to Europe. Let's see.

David Gaudu (14 points, 196 last year, 7%) This is one case where the points tally is lower than I would have expected so far, but I am very happy. He looks to be the real deal. I suspect FDJ will give him a free head on a few occasions this year to prove it.

Adrien Costa (21 points, 274 last year, 8%) See my comments for Powless. I really should have only picked one of them.

Emanuel Buchmann (51 points, 306 last year, 17%) He started well in Majorca and Murcia. He didn't shine in Abu Dhabi, but he fell in Paris Nice. Hopefully he is back in the coming weeks.

Ruben Fernandez (24 points, 398 last year, 6%) I believe this guy is the real deal. He hasn't started quickly, but he looked a lot stronger in Catalunya. I think he will bubble up in April and May and do something.

Mike Landa (82 points, 479 last year, 17%) Similar story to Fernandez. Very uneven form. I have hope in my heart for the Giro. But equally, I would not be surprised if his season went tits up.

Miguel Lopez (0 points, 763 last year, 0%) It could all come good, but I kind of thought he would be riding in Catalunya and Pais Vasco when I picked him. He will really need to perform in the second half of the year.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Thanks to skidmarks for your updates and Tigerion for the graph. Whoever had the idea, it's a great one.

del1962 said:
As I strongly considered picking Gaviria but didn't, although it is still early days, I am interested if those who pick him are happy or disappointed with his performances so far?

He's good but I expected a bit more. He still can be a very good pick at the end of the game.

barmaher said:
Kris Boeckmans (5 points, 60 last year, 8%) I really thought this was my best pick. He was the first name on my team sheet. Last autumn, he seemed well on the way to recovery from his injury. This year is confusing to me. He has one Top 50 finish in 13 race days, 46th in a stage of Etoile Besseges.

Yeah, he's disappointing. I had him in most of my team combinations until finally dumping him.

Robert Power (5 points, 77 last year, 6%). Guess he is doing okay. I am glad he has kms in his legs. I always expected more in the second half of the year from him.

Still, I expected him to score in the Australian summer. I guess Haig had more points same time last year. And in theory Power should be better.

David Gaudu (14 points, 196 last year, 7%) This is one case where the points tally is lower than I would have expected so far, but I am very happy. He looks to be the real deal. I suspect FDJ will give him a free head on a few occasions this year to prove it.

He's probably not a good point scoring wise but still can score as much as Miguel Lopez or the Yates brothers in their neo pro years. But he's definitely fun rooting for and like you I expect him to have a free role in lesser stage races.

Ruben Fernandez (24 points, 398 last year, 6%) I believe this guy is the real deal. He hasn't started quickly, but he looked a lot stronger in Catalunya. I think he will bubble up in April and May and do something.

I'm not quite sure about Ruben Fernandez anymore and I don't know what Movistars plans with him are.

Gah! Still no CQ update! I'll just keep checking and do one when I can.

I was curious about Gaviria too. He's got 305 points vs 251 at this point last year, with a similar amount of days (22 vs 19). That's not enough of an increase to be a stratospheric pick, but not exactly disappointing either. For me, this was about where I thought he would be at at this point, and I didn't pick him. I know QuickStep's classics team is complicated, and I thought he'd get his chances to improve but also might act as a decoy to stay with the main group and disincentivize chasing, which has happened. Boonen got to do the sprint in his final GW since it wasn't for the win, and that knocked him down a few places. He was strong in MSR but no one was strong enough to bring back the winning break. I guess that's a dangerous game to play with Gaviria, because any of those races could have come back together and he could have 200 more points. The season is still long, and he got 417 points in the last month of the season last year, but that cuts both ways - he got them in 'smaller' races, and although points will be bigger for winning bigger races, competition will be bigger too. It'll be interesting to see how he ends up. He could win 5 stages of the Giro or crash in the first week and limp along and waste 21 race days, or anywhere in between; that'll be a big turning point in his season.

Either way, my expensive pick was Nibali who is sitting on 79 points, so you know, I'm certainly not lording it over anyone with Gaviria.

In other news, yes, Consonni did surprise me today! GVK in good position too as he's got a good TT. Little disappointed in Hansen, but can't win em all.

Gaviria season beggining contains :
- A gift story in Argentina (Boonen, Richezze ...)
- A Tirreno Adriatico with only 2 stages for him ... and only one after a crash ...
- Another stage race pour in sprint in Algarve
- A rare situation (3 escapes men) on MSR

With a little more luck, and some more flat stages he could be 200 ou 300 points better !

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Interesting pick. I'm really happy with Gilbert

GILBERT Philippe Googolplex
GILBERT Philippe Jpettersen
GILBERT Philippe Kazistuta
GILBERT Philippe Kryvo
GILBERT Philippe Roubaix
GILBERT Philippe Shawnm4747

Re:

I also went for Boeckmans despite him being a risky pick, because he was seemingly training like a madman with no obvious setbacks in his training or whatever and was supposed to sprint for himself in races like Nokere Koerse. Not sure how I missed De Buyst as he was on my long list with 5 asterisks after his name. One of my many regrets. On the plus side, no one seems to have a good team. It's probably too early to tell, but I'm guessing no one will (more than) double their points this year.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Driedaagse de Panne GC big points for me:
62 for Theuns and 30 for Consonni :)
I'm still bitter I decided to go for Boeckmans and Trofimov and not GVK in the 60-points range in the end - GVK scored 34 in De Panne- now 5 and 0 points vs 180 :rolleyes:
Idem :mad: :mad: :D

Update #11: Kryvo ekes out victory in big week

Hey all, CQ was several days late with the update this week, so it's only a few days until the next one. But with Catalunya, DDV, E3, Gent-Wevelgem, it was a pretty big week. I'll give a brief rundown.

High Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Kryvo 905
2 Googolplex 903
3 bminchow 729
4 Kazistuta 728
5 Carlo_Algatrensig 725

Very, very close at the top. Kryvo and Googolplex were two of the six teams with Gilbert, but differed from there - Googolplex had Lampaert, Terpstra and Degenkolb over 100 and a slew of smaller scorers, whereas Kryvo had Van Garderen, Degenkolb, Kruijswijk & Benoot scoring a bunch. In the end, they were separated by two measly points on over 900 for the week. Everyone else was far behind, but the next clump was grouped incredibly closely, with bminchow getting on the podium by a single point, thanks largely to Marc Soler and Toms Skujins. 18-Valve, the one team who picked Valverde, finished just outside, in 6th place.

High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 Kryvo (+45)
2 Googolplex (+44)
3 bminchow (+30)
4 Kjellus (+29)
5 simple (+23)

Similar list - particularly impressive is that Googolplex's 44-spot leap is into the top 10 overall!

Green Jersey

Rank Team Total
1 DJW 102
2 the asian 96
3 Blues in the bottle 90
4 Nicosix 87
5 GP Blanco 73

GP Blanco scored 12 points this week to move into the top 5, otherwise no other top teams scored.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Nicosix 3905
2 (+1) jeroenk 3796
3 (-1) tom_jelte 3729
4 (-) Blues in the bottle 3690
5 (+12) 18-Valve. (pithy) 3658
6 (-) Pentacycle 3582
7 (+44) Googolplex 3528
8 (-) fauniera 3508
9 (+5) HelgeBlendet 3507
10 (+21) Kazistuta 3488

It's all pretty stable at the very top with Nicosix holding on again, but some massive leaps into the top 10. 18-Valve, Googolplex, HelgeBlendet and Kazistuta move into the top 10 while shalgo, the asian, Maaaaaaaarten and LightBing fall out.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update, skidmark. Didn't expect to be in 5th place at this point, as my team has very little depth with a host of bad cheap(ish) picks. I could go all the way down to the hundreds if my top dogs don't continue to deliver. Not sure when Porte's (my expensive pick I'm the least certain about) next races will be, either. LBL and Romandie?

TRENDING THREADS