• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I dropped 10 places this week, but I expected as much. Actually, it's still all really close together. I'm happy to still be within striking distance of the top 10 :)

Not regretting the decision to include Gilbert now.... kinda makes it up for all the no-shows on my team:

Yuri Trofimov
Leopold König
Beñat Intxausti

And Kris Boeckmans might as well not line up for races, when he seems to think its most important to be an usher.

Quite happy with my week even though I didn't score much at all in RVV, I scored a lot in races in which you could just as easily score nothing

DdPK: Theuns 80, Consonni 40
Finally Theuns scores some major points and a really surprising result by Consonni, especially his 3rd place on the hardest stage. I'm kind of upset BMC didn't race this, I picked Dillier and Küng just for this type of race, in the classics they don't get any freedom at all with Van Avermaet.

Adélie de Vitré: Gaudu 36
With his performance in Catalunya and now this, I'm thinking we can expect a lot more from him this season. He's slowly finding his footing as a pro.

GP Indurain: Power 5
No major points but Power and Spilak (21st) showing form ahead of Pais Vasco

Vuelta a la Rioja: Page 28, Power 5
Finally Page shows why I picked him - sprinting to top-10 in the one-day races on the Spanish calendar. I'm just afraid it's too little, too late, the biggest part of the Spanish one-day races is already behind us. He won the sprint behind the break so it could have been a lot more as well...

La Roue Tourangelle: Cimolai 32

RVV: Degenkolb 90, Breschel, Küng, Dillier, Theuns, Doull all 5

My riders for this week

Vuelta al Pais Vasco (2.UWT)
Contador
Power
Mas
Machado
Mamykin
Spilak

Big hopes for Berto and Spilak

Scheldeprijs (1.HC)
Minali
Breschel
Doull
Theuns
Gougeard

Curious to see how Minali goes... Theuns should be sprinting for Trek , maybe top-10

Circuit Cycliste Sarthe (2.1)
Vendrame

Paris-Roubaix (1.UWT)
Doull
Gougeard
Degenkolb
Theuns
Küng
Breschel
Minali

Minali???? Degenkolb should be good but everyone has him

Klasika Primavera de Amorebieta (1.1)
Trofimov

Damn, down to 32nd now, after two horrible weeks. Still feels like I have some incredibly bad luck, but it could be because I pay more attention to what my riders are (not) doing compared to those not on my team.

My rare and important pick Capiot raced one race in February, and has been out with knee-problems ever since, skipping tons of races where he would've been leader and might have done well. Vervaeke was sitting nicely in 9th overall in Catalunya, ready to reap the points, but then DNFed the final stage. Albanese has just gotten going after knee and virus problems, and will probably be chasing form for a while. Landa is looking like confirming my skepticism when picking him, and Roglic, who was inches away from replacing him in my selection, is wreaking havoc. And I'm not even going to mention König...

At least this week looks decent. With Simon and Yates ( ;) ), I should be scoring quite highly among the teams without Gilbert.

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the top 15 in the Ronde - not may points being scored (if you exclude Degenkob) if you look at popularity of pick

Top 5
PG 6, GVA 0, NT 3, DVB 2, AK 1

6-10
SM 2, JD 116, FP 0, SC 0, SC 0

11-15
MV 2, LD 1, MT 0, YO 3, GM 9

Not alot of big points winners out there

Update #12 - Gilbert scores a Googolplex of points

Here is all you need to know about this week:

Number of points Philippe Gilbert scored this week - 448
Number of teams with Philippe Gilbert - 6
Number of teams who scored more than 448 points this week - 6

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Googolplex 824
2 Kryvo 663
3 Roubaix 659
4 Shawnm4747 654
5 Kazistuta 622

So, a few things here: First, the top 2 high scorers are the same from last week, just flipped around. Second, they are nowhere near as close as last week, as Googolplex just KILLS it - aside from Gilbert, their team had 145 points from Terpstra, 90 from Degenkolb, 70 from Theuns, 32 from Cimolai. Third, special mention to archieboy, whose team almost matched Gilbert with 442 points and 7th place on the week.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 Roubaix (+41)
2 Shawnm4747 (+38)
3 Jpettersen (+34)
4 Kryvo (+22)
4 archieboy (+22)

A few of the teams with Gilbert had already moved up pretty high in the overall this week, and so didn't have much farther to move and therefore weren't on this list. Usually in these lists I mention teams' riders who scored big, but really it's Gilbert, Degenkolb, and some mop up points for most of these teams. Impressive leaps by the Gilbert pickers, which we will see in the overall standings.

This Month's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points
1 Googolplex 2960
2 Kazistuta 2695
3 Roubaix 2449
4 Shawnm4747 2433
5 AlyKaptan 2404

No surprise here, as Gilbert's incredible run started last week and has therefore had the teams that have him get two great weeks in a row. AlyKaptan can be proud of being the best non-Gilbert team of March, with some strong showings from Kwiatko, Gaviria, the Yates twins, Degenkolb, Benoot, van Keirsbulck and Viviani. In case you were wondering, the other 2 Gilbert teams are just out of the top 5 with 2379 each.

This Month's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down this month
1 AlyKaptan (+77)
2 Roubaix (+72)
3 Shawnm4747 (+66)
4 Poles & Co. (+62)
5 Googolplex (+61)

Some impressive leaps here, and some familiar names, with 3 of the Gilbert lottery winners and the aforementioned AlyKaptan topping them all in moving up more than half the chart. Poles & Co. does incredibly well for a 'themed' team, as Kwiatkowski led the Polish riders this month and the '& Co.' riders included Alaphilippe, Gaviria, Degenkolb and Viviani. Weekly winner Googolplex moves up 61 on the month, which is all the more impressive when taking into account the top 10 overall.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 DJW 102
2 the asian 96
3 Kazistuta 92
4 Kryvo 90
4 Blues in the bottle 90

With two big weeks in a row, Kazistuta and Kryvo move into the top 5 overall, but neither can threaten DJW's lead this week. The rest of the top 5 is in a holding pattern, and Googolplex is just below.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+6) Googolplex 4352
2 (+8) Kazistuta 4110
3 (-1) jeroenk 4100
4 (-3) Nicosix 4096
5 (+22) Kryvo 4013
6 (-3) tom_jelte 3876
7 (-3) Blues in the bottle 3855
8 (-3) 18-Valve. (pithy) 3819
9 (+38) Shawnm4747 3773
10 (-4) Pentacycle 3769

Gilbert is truly the tide that floats all boats. Which, let's take a look at some numbers one more time. His cost was 777 points, he's 52 points in profit, before a pedal is even turned in the Ardennes. Yikes! Kudos for taking a chance on a high cost mid-thirties rider, you six teams. Googolplex completes the 61 point jump on the month from place 62 to place 1. Kazistuta moves up 8 more for the week to take over 2nd, and ever-present jeroenk holds on to the podium. Nicosix, after several weeks on top, slips a bit but is still positioned quite well. Kryvo and Shawnm4747 make dramatic leaps into the top 10, whereas HelgeBlendet and fauniera fall out.

Pais Vasco and Roubaix up this week! I love the spring.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Re: Re:

Martin said:
Hakkie2 said:
Maybe we can list all the 0-pointers available, so Jancouver can make a team of 6 expensive guys and 27 0-pointers? If those expensive guys all double their points as Jancouver says, he scores 15000 points and likely wins :razz:
Now that would be an epic victory!
7500 points for 6 riders .... it does an average of 1250 points.
I'm not sure that it's possible to double the score of 6 1250 pointers the same years ... considering that the 5th best scorer is ever under 2500 points ...
and most of the 2500 pointers are used to do that (riders like valverde, sagan ... and are not good picks) :lol: :lol:

I think I got around 550 points on the week, with Stuyven, Senechal, Viviani, Bernal, Degenkolb, Uran, Buchmann and Mas all putting in a shift for me.

Hoping that puts me back into the Top 40.

Ardennes coming up, I don't think my team is built for success in the hilly classics.

Update #13: Brullnux ends the week on top

The hits just keep on coming in terms of big races. The week with Flanders and Roubaix sandwiching Pais Vasco is arguably one of the biggest on the calendar. But not many other races were going on, and big names/rare and non-picked riders swallowed up the biggest points. So the weekly top scorers weren't quite as high as last week.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Brullnux 590
2 Maaaaaaaarten 569
3 vroome.exe 559
4 barmaher 556
5 postmanhat 542

Brullnux comes out on top this week, with a solid spread of riders, from popular (Degenkolb, Viviani, Kwiatkowski) to moderately popular (Bernal, Spilak) to rare (Moscon, Theuns). A good mix for success in any given week, although this was the first week their team was in the points, so a lot went right this week. Maaaaaaarten slides into second place on the back of two high-scoring rare picks, Roglic and Meintjes, while vroome.exe edges out barmaher for third. A pretty close battle at the top this week!

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 Brullnux (+27)
2 barmaher (+26)
3 postmanhat (+23)
4 LaFlorecita (+20)
5 Maaaaaaaarten (+18)

Brullnux comes out on top again in these rankings, although barmaher comes close on the back of points from rare picks Stuyven and Uran. Contador's points aren't enough to get LaFlorecita over postmanhat for the final podium spot.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 the asian 108
2 DJW 102
3 Kazistuta 92
4 Kryvo 90
4 Blues in the bottle 90

We have a new leader in this competition! Former second place the asian gets 12 points on the week and gains the lead. No other teams in the top 5 scored this week, but Maaaaaaarten and GP Blanco move up to 6th and 7th on the back of some points this week.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) Googolplex 4714
2 (+1) jeroenk 4383
3 (-1) Kazistuta 4374
4 (+2) tom_jelte 4373
5 (-) Kryvo 4368
6 (+2) 18-Valve. (pithy) 4357
7 (-3) Nicosix 4238
8 (-1) Blues in the bottle 4179
9 (+18) Maaaaaaaarten 4173
10 (+8) GP Blanco 4164

Last week's new leader Googolplex solidifies their team's hold on first place this week, over 300 points up on runner-up jeroenk. A bit of movement in the top part of things, but the real jumpers are the last two in the top 10, the aforementioned Maaaaaaarten and GP Blanco. Pentacycle and Shawnm4747 fall out of the top 10.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

The ideal scenario for those (me included who have Aru) is that he builds up for the Vuelta and can challenge for a top 3 there, maybe picking up some results in Burgos and Italian races too.

I really need Haas and Restrepo to continue with their great starts for me in the Ardennes if i've got any hope of moving up.

Thanks for the update too!

TRENDING THREADS