• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update #36: LosBrolin wins for third week this year as top remains unchanged

Hi all, apologies for the delay in update. I've been really sick for several days, down-and-out. Now I'm back enough to make an update at least.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 LosBrolin 781
2 comodoro 722
3 AlyKaptan 653
4 Kjellus 651
5 PremierAndrew 570

LosBrolin wins for the third time in five weeks (their team also won Weeks 32 & 33 if you recall last month). But whereas those wins were powered by unique pick Bouhanni and rare pick August Jensen, this is a well-rounded effort, with a bunch of points for Mads Pedersen and Lennard Hofstede from the Post-Danmark Rundt, as well as strong Gaviria points, and World TTT points from Soren Kragh Andersen and Lennard Kamna. comodoro is the only team that comes within a hundred points, sporting top points from a very similar lineup but not having the minor support points to put their team over the top (maybe Bouhanni's 39 points were crucial this week after all). AlyKaptan just squeaks into third on the strength of mostly Pedersen and Gaviria.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 merengues (+11)
1 Kjellus (+11)
1 AlyKaptan (+11)
4 Eyeballs Out (+10)
5 kabete (+9)

A three-way tie for first this week! AlyKaptan is the only repeating podium member, but all three take a big leap - merengues to 39th overall, Kjellus to 71st and Alykaptan to 22nd.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 fauniera 226
2 Blues in the bottle 225
3 scrooll07 214
4 GP Blanco 200
5 Kazistuta 197
6 the asian 195

Verrrry close at the top. Blues in the bottle nabs 4 points for a 14th place on the week to pull within 1 point of fauniera for the overall lead! GP Blanco gets 8 points on the week to move to an even 200, but other than that, no one within striking distance of the top (that is, 45 points, which I've shown here) picks up anything.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) the asian 14333
2 (-) fauniera 14255
3 (+2) GP Blanco 13891
4 (-) HelgeBlendet 13820
5 (-2) Kazistuta 13703
6 (-) del1962 13649
7 (+1) Blues in the bottle 13506
8 (-1) Squire 13393
9 (+3) Wallenquist 13286
10 (-1) Hakkie2 13171

fauniera claws back 25 points on the asian this week in the battle for the top, and GP Blanco does some leapfrogging to get back to a podium spot. But for the most part, the status quo is upheld. There aren't many opportunities past this week's big 400-point Worlds Road Race to close the kind of gap the top 2 have on everyone else, so the top end of things may be more clear by next week's rankings. Wallenquist rides a good week back into the top 10, while Gigs_98 slips out.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Update #37: CQmanager manages total domination in the Worlds

The Worlds were the biggest single-race points up for grabs left on the calendar; there are certainly a slew of Italian/French/Asian races to wrap up the season, including some quite prestigious ones, but the CQ game has mostly reached a climax by now, and the rest tends more towards denouement/epilogue. With some pretty heavy favourites (and 2016 high-scoring riders) dominating the road race, there wasn't much room for left field surprises in the game, and the scoring this week reflects that.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 CQmanager 827
2 merengues 463
3 Leadbelly 460
4 the asian 441
5 GP Blanco 438

CQmanager had quite a fun strategy this year - load up at the top end with expensive picks (two riders over 1000 points, 9 riders over 479 points) and then fill the rest with cheap picks (24 riders at 7 points or lower including 16 zero-pointers). That top-heavy lineup would have to translate into some weekly wins, and it certainly has. CQmanager scores 179% of the second-place total this week, on the heels of unique picks Dumoulin and Matthews, rare picks Kelderman and Dennis, and Gaviria (also, 90 points from a zero-pointer named Mirko Trosino, who I have definitely never heard of but who was also picked by another team). merengues picks up second place with a more modest total from Gaviria, Tony Martin, Kwiatkowski and Soren Kragh Andersen, among others. Leadbelly nabs third with contributions from Gaviria/Moscon/Alaphilippe and a few more.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 CQmanager (+25)
2 ansimi (+10)
2 sodak_za (+10)
4 kabete (+7)
4 jeroenk (+7)

Well, of course such a week was going to have a high payoff! CQmanager leaps a couple of dozen spots; ansimi and sodak_za are the only other double-digit movers, and I just discovered that sodak_za was the other person who knew who Mirko Trosino was enough to pick him.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 241
2 fauniera 226
3 GP Blanco 222
4 the asian 221
5 scrooll07 214
6 Kazistuta 197

Some real shakeup here! Much like how the favourites took the top spots at the Worlds Road Race, the overall leaders had quite a good week this week, with top 6 overall teams Blues, the asian and GP Blanco all picking up a bunch of points. This moves Blues into top spot, dethroning fauniera after several weeks of back and forth. Blanco and the asian move within reasonable striking distance of the top as well... could be a hot competition from here on out!

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) the asian 14774
2 (-) fauniera 14564
3 (-) GP Blanco 14329
4 (-) HelgeBlendet 14012
5 (-) Kazistuta 13965
6 (+1) Blues in the bottle 13896
7 (-1) del1962 13858
8 (-) Squire 13590
9 (+4) Hugo Koblet 13499
10 (-1) Wallenquist 13473

Not a lot of movement, but a lot of action. With a 4th place weekly finish, the asian's position atop the leaderboard looks pretty solid, extending their lead over fauniera by 132 points this week. With 5th place on the week, GP Blanco pulls over 300 points ahead of HelgeBlendet for the final podium spot, but is still a couple of hundred behind fauniera for 2nd. Of course there are still some races with some points over the next month, but those podium spots are starting to crystallize a bit. As far as the rest of the top 10, game founder Hugo Koblet parlays a top-10 week into a top 10 overall, jumping 4 spots, while Hakkie2 has an outside-the-top-100 week to fall 4 spots out of the top 10.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for churning out the updates. A bit of a calm before the storm, I'd say, with Lombardia and Guangxi likely to decide the winner. fauniera is looking good with Uran and Ciccone for the Italian races. the asian needs someone to unexpectedly step up to carry their team across the line, I think. GP Blanco is lacking the firepower for a last minute title heist, especially as Felline is out for the rest of the season.

Contrary to most people's expectations back in January, this is turning out to be a rather high-scoring year. It seems like we'll have more people joining the 7 teams to double their score (skidmark twice) in years which are not the 2012 outlier (when 28 teams managed it). the asian and fauniera will definitely manage it. GP Blanco should make it, too. Anybody else will depend on Aru having a great run in the Italian races, and someone to score points in Guangxi or from other unpredictable sources.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
This new WT calendar provides a lot of points at the end of the season. Imagine some second rate GC rider who's a rare pick wins Turkey and Guangxi because nobody cares about them and they'll probably have a poor field and people will be out of shape. Could cause quite a shock in the rankings. :D

Maaaaaaaarten said:
This new WT calendar provides a lot of points at the end of the season. Imagine some second rate GC rider who's a rare pick wins Turkey and Guangxi because nobody cares about them and they'll probably have a poor field and people will be out of shape. Could cause quite a shock in the rankings. :D

It's true - the end of the year can always have some funny, weird runs, and since lots of riders have already ended their seasons, there can be some imbalance in CQ teams. These back-to-back-to-back-to-back hilly Italian races are always interesting for that, as each is a lot of points (3 1.HCs and Lombardia)... and then who knows about Turkey and Guangxi. There is separation at the top of the field, but the end of the season could be more engaging for a number of teams than in years past.

Also, I think this is the first time I've had time to make a non-update post in this thread since, like, April. It's been a busy year, and it's maybe somewhat of a good thing that my team is performing so anonymously because I haven't had the energy to follow closely. I look forward to the end of the season though!

skidmark said:
Also, I think this is the first time I've had time to make a non-update post in this thread since, like, April. It's been a busy year, and it's maybe somewhat of a good thing that my team is performing so anonymously because I haven't had the energy to follow closely. I look forward to the end of the season though!
I would like to thank you for the weekly updates, even you're busy. I appreciate the efforts. :)

I had another good week last week, which resulted in a +6 move and a top 20 spot. I hope I can hold this position, it would be a nice result, although I'm still gutted about some crashes and injuries (Betancur and Gesink were both performing on a high level when they crashed out of the Vuelta / Tour, and Gaviria could've scored some more points if he didn't have that injury-break).

I don't know what I can expect from my team and how strong my team is in comparison with the teams around me in the classification, so I still have to see if a top 20 spot is a realistic goal. In this prospect, a possible 110 points from Lutsenko in the Tour of Almaty would certainly come in handy.

Update #38: Top Spot Gets Tighter

Well, it's almost the end of the season - Lombardia coming up, and some big-name riders have already shut down their season post-worlds, with more to come after this weekend. That means that part of the speculation as to how the standings are going to look at the end will depend on who has the most riders racing through October, with the new WT-level points available still in a couple of stage races. This week brought things closer together at the top, which could make for an exciting finish.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 ItalianGigolo 502
2 AupaPyama 449
3 minessa 384
4 Total Package 383
4 Russell23 383

The week belongs to ItalianGigolo, who gets a pretty-decent 502 points from a smattering of HC and .1 races. Rare pick Andrea Pasqualon (3 teams) led the charge for ItalianGigolo, netting 128 points and a .1 victory. The ubiquitous Viviani also picked up 100 more points, and the 'how the hell did this guy show so little for years and then bust out this year' award winner of 2017, Mattia Cattaneo scored 83 more points to move his season total to 654, also known as 'almost 300 points more than he has scored combined since he started scoring CQ points in 2010'. Second place AupaPyama also had Pasqualon and Viviani, with rare pick Dan McLay finally scoring some big points this year. minessa just sneaks into third place by a point over two other teams, with some Nibali/Viviani points, plus 53 points from unique pick Bakhtiyar Kozhatayev.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 torcia_86 (+9)
1 R_O_Shipman (+9)
1 zlev11 (+9)
4 Russell23 (+8)
5 Total Package (+7)
5 AupaPyama (+7)

A three way tie at the top! And none of the top 3 from the previous ranking either. torcia_86, R_0_Shipman, and zlev11 (collectively, they're called 'underscores and numbers') share the top spot, and also largely share where they are getting their points from this week... all three teams had Viviani (100 points) and Egan Bernal (66 points), and while the 1st and 2nd place team were two of the three teams who had Alexey Lutsenko (146 points), zlev11 got major points from rare pick Vincenzo Nibali (143 points). A similar look, and a similar result.

This Month's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this month
1 zlev11 2163
2 CQmanager 2158
3 snccdcno 2127
4 Hugo Koblet 2115
5 Popchu 2102

zlev11 takes the September honors by the slimmest of margins, and their team was a consistently high performer even though they didn't win a week. Their team was led by Nibali (590 points between the Vuelta and this week), Zakarin (407), Gaviria (310); Lopez and Viviani were both over 200 points and Aru, Benoot and Bernal all over 100 on the month. Last week's runaway winner CQmanager has to settle for second, and snccdcno nabs third.

This Month's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down this month
1 zlev11 (+23)
2 CQmanager (+20)
3 kabete (+17)
4 snccdcno (+15)
5 Popchu (+13)
5 ansimi (+13)

This list sees the same teams in the top 2. kabete nabs third place with a good ensemble performance, getting a bunch of points from the likes of Gaviria, Boom, Viviani, Kung, Van Garderen, Aru, Benoot and Alaphilippe.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 241
2 fauniera 226
3 GP Blanco 222
4 the asian 221
5 scrooll07 214
6 Kazistuta 197

No one close to the top scored this week, but it was close! fauniera was just outside the points, in 16th place. In other news, the one team that had yet to score any points this season ended up solidly in the top 10 and is on the board! All 131 participants have now scored at least a point in this competition, I believe the first time that's happened since it started a couple of years ago (I proudly scored 4 points for my second scoring week of the season, to move up to 128th in the standings).

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) the asian 14962
2 (-) fauniera 14867
3 (-) GP Blanco 14562
4 (+1) Kazistuta 14158
5 (-1) HelgeBlendet 14154
6 (+1) del1962 14054
7 (-1) Blues in the bottle 14018
8 (-) Squire 13781
9 (-) Hugo Koblet 13778
10 (-) Wallenquist 13753

The place movement may be small, but there is intrigue at the top. fauniera has closed the gap this week by scoring 303 points to the asian's 188, which means the lead is just 95 points. GP Blanco holds solid in third, and there are some pretty close races in the rest of the top 10. This week, combined with the release of any startlists for the October WT races, will help clarify the picture for the race to the end.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

I seriously need someone on my team to step up in order to keep my top 10 place. The teams behind me are packed with successful Italians.

The late season has not been kind to me. From being in and around the podium mid season, I'm now struggling to maintain a top 10. A lot of my picks were actually made with potential for late season scoring in mind, but most of them have run out of steam. I could've done with Roson riding the WT stage races for Caja Rural, but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

Well, this has been, by far, my best week of the season. Nibali gets north of 350 points, and with only six teams picking him, I'd imagine I'm in the race for the weekly title. What's more, another rare pick in Bauhaus finally shows his class in a big-points race, beating Griepel, Kittel, Groenwegen, Kristoff etc to pick up 84 points for 2nd in Germany. And other fairly rare pick Lampaert picks up 42 more in Paris-Tours, plus of course the ever-popular Aru getting 90 in Lombardia. It's too little too late in the overall, but at least it's nice to see it all come together at least once, even if it's the last consequential weekend of the season.

Re:

The great week for Nibali reminded me of this:

Netserk said:
Regarding your team, skidmark, it will be interesting to see if the two of your rare picks (Nibali and Grosu, price 1380) will be able to beat two of your popular omissions (Gav and Ewan, price 1385 [your team has 32 points to spare, so it is a possible substitution]).

I don't really know how much to expect from Grosu, but it is obvious that much depends on Nibali for your combo to outscore the popular alternative. The rarity of your picks and the popularity of the omissions will make that matchup likely to be deciding for your team's upper ceiling. Best of luck to you, such a shame that the competition in the Giro is so fierce ;)

Nibali: 1217 -> 1822
Grosu: 163 -> 158

Gaviria: 833 -> 1068
Ewan: 552 -> 717

skidmark's combo: 1380 -> 1980
Popular combo: 1385 -> 1785

I was very skeptical if the rare combo would outscore the popular one, but well done.

Ugh, don't remind of the crappy ending the modern seasons have. Two crappy Chinese races as the last ones of .1 or above... Sadly it's only now it hits me that Piemonte was cancelled this year :eek: There should be room enough for more classics (with good start lists) after the worlds.