• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
The great week for Nibali reminded me of this:

Netserk said:
Regarding your team, skidmark, it will be interesting to see if the two of your rare picks (Nibali and Grosu, price 1380) will be able to beat two of your popular omissions (Gav and Ewan, price 1385 [your team has 32 points to spare, so it is a possible substitution]).

I don't really know how much to expect from Grosu, but it is obvious that much depends on Nibali for your combo to outscore the popular alternative. The rarity of your picks and the popularity of the omissions will make that matchup likely to be deciding for your team's upper ceiling. Best of luck to you, such a shame that the competition in the Giro is so fierce ;)

Nibali: 1217 -> 1822
Grosu: 163 -> 158

Gaviria: 833 -> 1068
Ewan: 552 -> 717

skidmark's combo: 1380 -> 1980
Popular combo: 1385 -> 1785

I was very skeptical if the rare combo would outscore the popular one, but well done.

That's funny, this week also reminded me of that post! I was gonna post something about it right after this update - thanks for saving me the trouble of tooting my own horn.

And yeah, Gav/Ewan can totally rack up the points in China, but either way, missing out on those guys was definitely a big fear after Ewan came ripping out of the gates. And also either way, I think we can all agree that Grosu was a stupid pick.

Update #39: Late Season Drama Sees CQ Game Lead Change

Well. The weekend of Il Lombardia, in many ways the 'traditional' season end, has come upon us, and the curtain is starting to come down on the game. But with the new WT rules and new China race, there are still some big points out there to shake things up. With the startlists and lineups almost set, depending on your team you may be feeling hopeful that you might move up a spot or a few, or you may just be starting to look when the Australian nationals might be so that you can look forward to a blank slate for next year's game. I mentioned last week that with alot of riders ending their seasons already, there could be a few teams leapfrogging quite a bit in the last bit of the season, and that was certainly the case this week.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 zlev11 727
2 tom_jelte 723
3 ItalianGigolo 708
4 minessa 702
5 skidmark 699

With Nibali's big week of 352 points, one would think that this week's winner would be led by that haul. One would be right, but this week's winner only finished a mere 4 points ahead of a non-Nibali team! zlev11 basically rode Nibali, Aru (198 points), Pozzovivo (105) and Bernal (52 more in a ridiculous year before he becomes a Skybot and scores 200 next year) to victory. tom_jelte, however, came a very impressive second with the aforementioned Aru, Bernal, and Pozzovivo, but also 165 from rare pick Uran, and 140 from unique pick Sam Bennett, who won the Munsterland Giro. ItalianGigolo also scoops the Nibali-centered teams to claim the final podium spot, with contributions from Aru and Pozzo, but also Moscon, Villella, Pasqualon and Pelucchi.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 zlev11 (+15)
2 skidmark (+13)
3 EvansIsTheBest (+10)
3 minessa (+10)
5 adamski101 (+9)
5 PunchingRouleur (+9)
5 Kjellus (+9)

zlev11 doubles up here, leaping an impressive 15 spots in the table. In second... hey, I haven't gotten to write about myself at all this year! Well, team skidmark finally makes an impression in a largely anonymous year, getting to the point where he doesn't regret picking Nibali, and getting some nice contributions from Aru and relatively rare picks Bauhaus and Lampaert. EITB and minessa (two other long-time participants who have been solid but not too much in the fray this year) tie for third spot, both jumping double digits.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 241
2 fauniera 226
3 GP Blanco 222
4 the asian 221
5 scrooll07 214
6 Kazistuta 197

There is no movement at the top of the Green Jersey competition, with 6 teams still within a weekly victory of the lead. Five teams in the top 15 of the week did move into the top 20 overall in the competition, with zlev11, ItalianGigolo, and Geraint Too Fast all gaining points in the top 10.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+1) fauniera 15422
2 (-1) the asian 15332
3 (-) GP Blanco 14884
4 (+1) HelgeBlendet 14553
5 (-1) Kazistuta 14516
6 (+4) Wallenquist 14445
7 (+4) tom_jelte 14379
8 (-2) del1962 14362
9 (-) Hugo Koblet 14320
10 (-3) Blues in the bottle 14255

We have a new leader. fauniera had another strong week, with 555 points to the asian's 370, and now fauniera is in the lead by 90 points. I haven't had time to do the comparison of who has which riders in the season-closing races, but after the asian led for much of the last few months, it now seems like fauniera has some momentum. Both are quite a bit clear of third place, and third place a few hundred clear of fourth, so GP Blanco has a good chance of locking up a podium spot. As for the overall, tom_jelte rides a standout week into the top 10, while Squire falls just out to 11th after a long, long time in the top 10 this year.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update skidmark.

Turkey: Consonni, Minali and Albanese for me. Hoping for points in the sprint stages, as the competition is pretty weak. The asian has no starters there at all, if i haven't overlooked someone.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Ohh snap still barely in the top 20. :D

Dani Martinez finally showing some form could be nice in Turkey, but I think I heard somewhere that he crashed in Lombardia, hopefully he will be alright. I need some GC points from him in Turkey if I want to finish top 20 this year.

fauniera said:
Here is info concerning Trofimov.

Intxausti is set to ride the Tour of Guangxi.

Well, the info concerning Trofimov was from February... No disrespect to fauniera as he was obviously only trying to help. But if anyone has more updated info please share. And thanks fauniera for the update on Intxausti; anyone knows if he has any contract offers for 2018?

Hey all, just looking at the upcoming schedule, and here's how it looks like the end of season will shake out:

This update (to October 15th) - Turkey and a few 1.1 races
Next update (to October 22nd) - last Europe 1.1, Japan Cup, Guangxi stages but not GC (done on 24th)
October 29th week - Guangxi GC and first few stages of Hainan
November 5th week - Hainan GC
November 12th week - Tour of Fuzhou (as far as I can tell, last .1 or above race and therefore the end of the season for the game)

I don't expect much beyond Guangxi (beyond now, maybe even) to affect the overall in huge ways, but there can still be weekly wins, Green Jersey points, and some shuffling up and down the general as the season plays out. But just to be clear, the official wrapup will be after November 12th; a couple of weeks later (by the start of December) I hope to have the post for next year up and we can start this thing again!

Update #40: Brullnux nabs late-season honours

So as mentioned in previous posts, we are in the denouement phase of the season. The Tour of Turkey, which attained WorldTour status but then changed places on the calendar and only attracted a bare handful of WT teams, took place this week. Third-tier WT points were on offer, however, and with the rosters thinned mostly to those who had a disappointing season, those coming back from injury, and those who don't have much experience but want to prove something going into the off-season, it creates a mixed bunch for the weekly scoring.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 Brullnux 315
2 laarsland 308
3 Guybrush 306
4 ItalianGigolo 300
5 rote_laterne 289

It's not the highest-scoring of weeks, but there is still enough variety that teams are clearly separated (the first tie in the standings is for 25th place). The week goes to Brullnux, who finally has a big payoff for picking Edward Theuns (one of 14 teams to do so) - Theuns has had a few bright spots this season, but this week's 142 point haul in Turkey is by far his most consistent and promising result since his big injury at the TdF last year. And his 645 point return on 405 makes him a more pleasing pick than he was a week ago. The WT-bound Dani Martinez also has a haul that helps Brullnux (and 13 other teams), scoring 113 points to bring his total to 217 at a cost of 87.

laarsland grabs second place as one of Martinez's other holders; laarsland's main scorer this week was actually unique pick Jesper Hansen with 163, but Brullnux squeezed out the win with a few riders scoring 20-30 points on top of the main 2. Guybrush slots into third with a totally different set of contributors, including Moreno Hofland, Yonder Godoy, Jarlinson Pantano and Ilya Koshevoy.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 Brullnux (+9)
2 rote_laterne (+8)
2 CraZyCaLL (+8)
4 laarsland (+7)
4 greenedge (+7)

Brullnux takes double honours, and rote_laterne (riding the Theuns-Martinez train) and CraZyCaLL (who has only Martinez and a few 20-ish pointers, but is in a fairly tight section of the standings) tie for second, each jumping 8 places.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 241
2 fauniera 226
3 GP Blanco 222
4 the asian 221
5 scrooll07 214
6 ItalianGigolo 198.2
7 Kazistuta 197

No movement at the top, but ItalianGigolo bursts into the picture (I've listed teams that could take the lead with 45 points for a weekly win) by scoring big for a third straight week. With 45 points two weeks ago for the win, 30 points for third last week, and another 26 this week, that team is on a serious run. And most impressively, they seem to be getting points from all sides - this week it is unique picks Fausto Masnada (127 points) and (!!!) Davide Rebellin (60 points) that fuel the high placing. No one else near the top scores any points, but it'll be obscure picks like those that will flip this competition on its head, if anything does. Otherwise, Blues in the bottle has it sewn up.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) fauniera 15532
2 (-) the asian 15389
3 (-) GP Blanco 14930
4 (+1) Kazistuta 14612
5 (+2) tom_jelte 14601
6 (-2) HelgeBlendet 14577
7 (+2) Hugo Koblet 14485
8 (-2) Wallenquist 14477
9 (-1) del1962 14394
10 (-) Blues in the bottle 14275

The trophy is at the engravers, and they are starting to think about how to stylize the 'f' to commemorate this year's winner... it's not over yet, but with very little action left, fauniera extends the lead they took over recently by another 43 points. The podium is pretty locked up but there is a surprising amount of movement lower down in the top 10, with tom_jelte having a huge week to jump a few spots (top 10 on the week, 222 points) and Hugo Koblet having a good one too. No ins and outs of the top 10, but there's definitely still room for some movement.

Up next, Japan Cup and some stages from Guangxi! We are winding down, softly.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks skidmark. The biggest danger right now is Taaramäe, who has good form (12th in Milano-Torino) and who should like the parcours of the Tour of Guangxi. Unfortunately Dillier doesn't seem to have any form, so i don't expect to score any points in China.

What a pick Marco Canola would've been. I did briefly consider him, but I can't really brag about being close to picking him.

The big question for me is can Vorganov save my top 10 spot in the Tour of Fuzhou? I'm likely to overtake Hakkie2 (11th) because of Gaviria, but Blues in the Bottle (10th) seems out of reach. I'd need the extremely unlikely scenario of Vorganov Mareczko-ing the Tour of Fuzhou, I guess. Was secretely hoping Gav could limit his losses today to achieve a respectable GC position to be in a better place compared to del1962 (9th), who I'll have to take aim at leapfrogging for a back-to-back top 10 finish in this game.

Re:

Squire said:
What a pick Marco Canola would've been. I did briefly consider him, but I can't really brag about being close to picking him.

The big question for me is can Vorganov save my top 10 spot in the Tour of Fuzhou? I'm likely to overtake Hakkie2 (11th) because of Gaviria, but Blues in the Bottle (10th) seems out of reach. I'd need the extremely unlikely scenario of Vorganov Mareczko-ing the Tour of Fuzhou, I guess. Was secretely hoping Gav could limit his losses today to achieve a respectable GC position to be in a better place compared to del1962 (9th), who I'll have to take aim at leapfrogging for a back-to-back top 10 finish in this game.

I'm hoping to overtake you back in Hainan though.

Hakkie2 said:
Squire said:

Oh, I didn't realise you had two Wilier riders. I'm not sure if any of Martinez or Koshevoy are riding in Hainan though. I thought I read somewhere that Martinez ended his season in Turkey.

Squire said:
Hakkie2 said:
Squire said:

Oh, I didn't realise you had two Wilier riders. I'm not sure if any of Martinez or Koshevoy are riding in Hainan though. I thought I read somewhere that Martinez ended his season in Turkey.

Yes, but I am hopeful for Koshevoy. He appeared to be improving in Turkey. Anyway, doesn't really matter. I needed Konig to shine in Guanxi to overtake BITB.

Hakkie2 said:
Squire said:
Hakkie2 said:
Squire said:

Yes, but I am hopeful for Koshevoy. He appeared to be improving in Turkey. Anyway, doesn't really matter. I needed Konig to shine in Guanxi to overtake BITB.
So Koshevoy is confirmed for Hainan. I think I'll be slightly ahead of you after the upcoming update, so it'll come down to Koshevoy vs Vorganov for 11th place (as none of us can overtake anyone else at this point). But as you say, it doesn't really matter, as none of us are called Louis Meintjes.

Update #41: Lukas blows the lid off

The last WorldTour race of the year is... not quite in the bag, as far as the CQ game goes. The latest CQ update goes until Sunday October 22nd, which includes the GC from Taihu Lake, the Japan Cup, and most of the stages but not the GC from Guangxi. Still some points to be had out there, as our weekly winner can attest.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 LukasCPH 325
2 Josedin 320
3 Magnumpti 222
4 rote_laterne 199
5 vroome.exe 189

Only 3 teams over 200 points this week, but the top 2 were well ahead of the rest, and it was a close one. LukasCPH takes the week with 325 points, and a collection of riders that is of the type to pick up points at the end of the year (that is to say, an assorted group of rare picks). Lukas picked up points from Taihu-winning Jakub Mareczko (3 teams, 156 points), Taihu runner up Guillaume Boivin (unique pick, 90 points) and Taihu 7th place finisher Serghei Tvetcov (6 teams, 40 points). Oh, and 39 points from Tim Wellens (2 teams), which might just net Lukas another high finish next week. Notice anyone missing in there? Runner-up Josedin was actually the best-placed team with the popular Gaviria (117 points, 52 teams), and was one of the few other teams with Mareczko as well as Tvetcov. Different approaches to a close finish! Magnumpti took the honors of third place, on the backs of Mareczko and a couple of others.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team up/down
1 LukasCPH (+6)
1 merengues (+6)
3 rote_laterne (+5)
3 vroome.exe (+5)
5 kabete (+4)

The tail end of the season sees the standings pretty settled, but there's still some movement to be had. Lukas comes out on top again here, but merengues scores a tie for first as well, moving up six places on the back of Gaviria and some help from Walscheid. rote_laterne and vroome.exe tie for the podium in this ranking, each moving up 5 spots.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Blues in the bottle 249
2 fauniera 226
3 GP Blanco 222
4 the asian 221
5 scrooll07 214

Good news for Blues in the bottle and bad news for those who like exciting competition - their team scored 8 more points this week to pull away a bit more and make it look less and less likely that anyone can make it close. Four other teams are still within a weekly win of the top of the chart, but there aren't many weeks left. Weekly winner LukasCPH has Wellens and will therefore do well next week, but they're only at 83 points. Shout out to tom-jelte, who has had double-digit points three weeks in a row to move into 8th in this competition.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) fauniera 15657
2 (-) the asian 15514
3 (-) GP Blanco 15083
4 (+1) tom_jelte 14774
5 (-1) Kazistuta 14627
6 (+1) Hugo Koblet 14602
7 (-1) HelgeBlendet 14577
8 (-) Wallenquist 14485
9 (+1) Blues in the bottle 14440
10 (-1) del1962 14409

The race for top spot holds steady, with each of the top 2 getting identical points from Gaviria and Pelucchi. Third place GP Blanco gains 28 points, and now-4th tom-jelte gains 48, but that is too little to make a dent in the top 2. tom-jelte, Hugo Koblet and Blues in the bottle make impressive late-season runs to move up a spot, but 11th place Squire is 230 points out of the top 10, so this table might be solidifying. This week gives us the GC of Guangxi, and then it's the last HC race (Hainan) starting this week and ending next, and the last .1 race (Fuzhou) after that.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

TRENDING THREADS