• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Weird, I was like 90% sure I had Navardauskas but apparently I don't? That's ***. So my riders for TDU are:
EWAN Caleb
SLAGTER Tom-Jelte
MAS NICOLAU Enric
BAUHAUS Phil
KENNAUGH Peter
MONTAGUTI Matteo

Not bad I guess, Navardauskas I feel bad about :(

Re:

Nathanptz said:
Weird, I was like 90% sure I had Navardauskas but apparently I don't? That's ****. So my riders for TDU are:
EWAN Caleb
SLAGTER Tom-Jelte
MAS NICOLAU Enric
BAUHAUS Phil
KENNAUGH Peter
MONTAGUTI Matteo

Not bad I guess, Navardauskas I feel bad about :(
I know how you feel. Start of the season and he's already finishing 4th in a stage.
4th from the bottom of the rankings of course :D

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Pretty happy about my rarest pick that is in the TDU and one that I was really insecure about. Phil Bauhaus showing that will be the main sprinter for sunweb and can score big this season

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
drebelo said:
Pretty happy about my rarest pick that is in the TDU and one that I was really insecure about. Phil Bauhaus showing that will be the main sprinter for sunweb and can score big this season
At least he showed that he's their main sprinter for Tour Down Under :)

Yep. Arndt and Matthews will play lead roles a plenty....especially Matthews of course. Even Theuns will lead in certain races.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Hugo Koblet said:
drebelo said:
At least he showed that he's their main sprinter for Tour Down Under :)

Yep. Arndt and Matthews will play lead roles a plenty....especially Matthews of course. Even Theuns will lead in certain races.
Yes I tottaly forgot that Matthews was sunweb :) , but of the other two I think that neither arndt or theuns for a typical bunch flat sprint finish can perform as good as Bauhaus

For those who selected Brenton Jones (I know Squire is one, and I think there are 4 in total): did you see something in particular in him, or did you more think 'well he's a sprinter on a French PCT team so he'll get lots of chances in relatively easy races'? I ask because, goddamn it, he's ripping it up in Gabon.

I thought seriously about taking him a couple of years ago when he became the main sprinter for Drapac. But after looking at his results etc rather closely, I reached a conclusion - Brenton Jones sucks. So I didn't pick him, and I was validated when he did relatively little with a relatively easy calendar.

That, combined with my other conclusion that Delko kinda sucks, made me not even think of him this year in the slightest, even though he would fall into some of the categories of a good pick. But I'm interested if anyone had some inside knowledge or intuition that made them pick him.

skidmark said:
For those who selected Brenton Jones (I know Squire is one, and I think there are 4 in total): did you see something in particular in him, or did you more think 'well he's a sprinter on a French PCT team so he'll get lots of chances in relatively easy races'? I ask because, goddamn it, he's ripping it up in Gabon.

I thought seriously about taking him a couple of years ago when he became the main sprinter for Drapac. But after looking at his results etc rather closely, I reached a conclusion - Brenton Jones sucks. So I didn't pick him, and I was validated when he did relatively little with a relatively easy calendar.

That, combined with my other conclusion that Delko kinda sucks, made me not even think of him this year in the slightest, even though he would fall into some of the categories of a good pick. But I'm interested if anyone had some inside knowledge or intuition that made them pick him.
As you say, I picked him, and he was pretty nailed on for a spot in my team. He was not really on my radar before I started doing research for my CQ team. But his results in the Tour of Britain impressed me, and he was going to be the main sprinter for Delko, which means a fantastic calendar for scoring CQ points. What convinced me was his absolute confidence in making it to the WT in a year or two, and his previous results. I checked race reports and tweets, and saw that when he didn't get results last year, it was either due to crashes/bad luck, or the team riding for Alex Frame instead. I absolutely didn't get the impression that Brenton Jones sucks.

I'm happy that he's delivering so far, and I believe the Delko racing calendar will mean plenty of easy points for him. I would actually have been pretty disappointed if he didn't rip it up in Gabon. But it's still early days, of course. It remains to be seen how he handles a full European calendar. But I'm quite surprised he's only picked by four players.

Squire said:
As you say, I picked him, and he was pretty nailed on for a spot in my team. He was not really on my radar before I started doing research for my CQ team. But his results in the Tour of Britain impressed me, and he was going to be the main sprinter for Delko, which means a fantastic calendar for scoring CQ points. What convinced me was his absolute confidence in making it to the WT in a year or two, and his previous results. I checked race reports and tweets, and saw that when he didn't get results last year, it was either due to crashes/bad luck, or the team riding for Alex Frame instead. I absolutely didn't get the impression that Brenton Jones sucks.

I'm happy that he's delivering so far, and I believe the Delko racing calendar will mean plenty of easy points for him. I would actually have been pretty disappointed if he didn't rip it up in Gabon. But it's still early days, of course. It remains to be seen how he handles a full European calendar. But I'm quite surprised he's only picked by four players.

Well, agree with Squires expectations for Gabon. We'll only know the true extention of his potential when reaching the European racing.
My main reason for picking Jones was that I for some years have bookmarked him as a rider to watch for these CQ competitions, and with a switch to Delko he's now in a perfect environment. I didn't look into old race reports as Squire, but I read some interviews where Jones himself expressed clear ambitions as a team leader and desire to hit the ground running. And that he did :D Let's see if he can continue in Etoile De Besseges against the likes of Coquard, Capiot, Boudat and Dupont, which is more like the competition he'll usually have in the French calendar.