• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think this week will be typical of this season for me, lots of riders scoring lots of points but nearly all of them are very popular picks so everyone else has some combination of them as well. only Benoot scored a good number of points amongst my rarer picks. I suppose that is still better than lingering around the 100 position mark all season like my previous efforts...

Update #3: Lots of Turmoil but a Repeat Winner Distances the Field

Wowee, it really feels like the season is getting started, hey? Races in Australia, races in Argentina, races in Indonesia, Dubai, getting started on European soil in Mallorca and in Marseille... remember before the CQ game when it was kinda nothing until Het Volk? Neither do I.

A busy week, with the potential for a lot of riders riding on various continents, perhaps unsurprisingly saw some big shakeups in the overall. But the week itself (and indeed, the overall) belonged to a name we've already seen in this game this year.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Jon_Ezeitza 483
2 Valv.Piti 434
3 Giallo 421
4 18-Valve. (pithy) 389
5 PeterB 379

Well, if I'm starting the summary with 'unique pick Jay McCarthy' on the week that rider has won the biggest points of the week, you're probably doing pretty well. But newcomer Jon Ezeitza kills it for the second time in three weeks! This team - have you seen this team? Its highest-price rider is 395 point Jack Haig. It has 4 riders picked by over 50 teams, and is 124th out of 129 on the popularity chart. That is a great recipe to win some weeks, at the very least! Loving it. So yeah, other than McCarthy, there are 62 points from unique pick Nikias Arndt, 80 points from rare pick (3 teams) Gregor Muhlberger, 48 points from rare pick Odd Christian Eiking (8 teams) and a handful from other sources (including 30 from Nizzolo, who somehow made his way onto this unconventional squad). Second place goes to Valv.Piti, who picks up 76 points from their team's namesake, 121 from rare (5 teams) Javi Moreno, 91 from the relatively rare (16 teams) Filippo Ganna, and the requisite Coquard/Nizzolo points. Third place Giallo has the Valv/Moreno combo, as well as some decent points from Moscon and Enger. Just also want to note that two teams with names referencing Alejandro Valverde got in the top 5 because of him this week... that may be a recurring theme this year.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 18-Valve. (pithy) (+67)
2 PeterB (+60)
3 Geraint Too Fast (+59)
3 Hugo Koblet (+59)
5 fauniera (+56)

Speaking of that other Valv-referencing team... man do I love the early season. Look at those numbers! 67 spots! There were a few teams that got less than 67 points this week! Anyway, 18-Valve.(pithy) - which, sidenote, is not exactly the most pithy name - takes the top spot, another beneficiary of the Valv/Moreno train (huh, that's 3 out of the 5 Moreno teams that also have Valverde, interesting). PeterB hops a respectable 60 spots with Moreno and no Valverde, just the more common Coquard/Brambilla/Nizzolo/Enger bunch. CQ Game mainstays Geraint Too Fast and Hugo Koblet tie for third with a 'that is more than okay' 59-spot leap. In case you were wondering, GTF is the 5th and final owner of Moreno - a good week for those folks all around.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Jon_Ezeitza 90
2 ChrisDK 46
3 Poles & Co. 42
4 Nathanptz 36
5 Valv.Piti 35
5 l'velo 35

Well yeah, if you win two out of three weeks, it's gonna be you. The rest of the top 5 remains the same, except Valv.Piti jumps into a tie for 5th with the 2nd place weekly points.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+4) Jon_Ezeitza 958
2 (-1) Poles & Co. 730
3 (+7) Sneekes 727
4 (-) bminchow 725
5 (+2) sodak_za 722
6 (-3) Nathanptz 708
7 (+1) Salvarani 670
8 (+29) Giallo 649
9 (+13) search 632
10 (+7) postmanhat 624

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the team that is dominating every other aspect of this game is also dominating the overall. Jon Ezeitza has a 228 point lead with fewer than 1000 points total, which is pretty impressive percentage-wise. Sure, soon enough the Cavendishes and Coquards and Chaves' and Lopezes (wait, how would you pluralize those last two? I'm confused, that doesn't look right) of the world are gonna start scoring, and this team's time will be up. But it is a beautiful thing right now.

Last week's leader Poles & Co drops but holds a respectable second, while Sneekes captures third (fourth place bminchow is the only team in the entire 129 team field to hold position this week). Despite the jumping around, the top 7 teams were all in the top 10 last week - Giallo, search and postmanhat move in, while repre, ChrisDK, and kiszol fall out.

Next week - Valencia, Etoile de Besseges, Herald Sun Tour - oh my! Let's two-point-one it up!

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1)
1. Danny van Poppel
2. Jurgen Roelandts
3. Matvei Mamykin
Etoile de Bessèges (2.1)
1. Bryan Coquard
2. Sean de Bie
3. Vincenzo Albanese
4. Amaury Capiot
Herald Sun Tour (2.1)
1. Esteban Chaves
2. Robert Power
3. Robbert de Greef

Hopefully Power and de Greef can rack up some points in this weak field, should be possible.

Very happy with the success of the team, a team without figures but with very hardworking people. Of the 33 cyclists in Team 17, they have already scored points. I expected fruit in the medium to long term, but there has been luck and we are leaders. For next week I have these:

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (31-4)
PLAZA Rubén
KUDUS Merhawi

Etoile de Bessèges (31-4)
MANZIN Lorrenzo

Herald Sun Tour (31-4)
EDMONDSON Alexander
GUERREIRO Ruben

I have a lot of confidence in Guerreiro -for the moment he has given 91 points- and Kudus, from whom I hope that this year he will make an important leap forward in his progression.

Re:

Nathanptz said:
1. Danny van Poppel
2. Jurgen Roelandts
3. Matvei Mamykin
Etoile de Bessèges (2.1)
1. Bryan Coquard
2. Sean de Bie
3. Vincenzo Albanese
4. Amaury Capiot
Herald Sun Tour (2.1)
1. Esteban Chaves
2. Robert Power
3. Robbert de Greef

Hopefully Power and de Greef can rack up some points in this weak field, should be possible.

Who is this De Greef? I've never heard of him. Is he related to the famous Ninja candidate Francis? Will be surprised to see him get points in Jayco considering his past results.

Probably gonna regret not having Cavendish on my team but if you dont like a rider what you gonna do :rolleyes:

If Valverde keep doing what Valverde does, I am just gonna have to hope Sagan does the same for my team :D

Vakoc out during all the races where I was hoping he might get some results is very unfortunate because it looks he will miss months with that injury :(

Might have hit my peak with my placing so far, not gonna lie about it :p

Re:

Salvarani said:
Probably gonna regret not having Cavendish on my team but if you dont like a rider what you gonna do :rolleyes:

If Valverde keep doing what Valverde does, I am just gonna have to hope Sagan does the same for my team :D

Vakoc out during all the races where I was hoping he might get some results is very unfortunate because it looks he will miss months with that injury :(

Might have hit my peak with my placing so far, not gonna lie about it :p
De Plus also will miss at least 3 weeks, another blow for some teams.

Hmm: http://www.velo-club.net/post/interview-pavel-sivakov-les-grands-tours-me-font-rever

Tendinitis?! No winter form and starting from scratch?! Late March forecast start to season?? Huh, I guess I don't pay enough attention to cycling journalism to have known that. Well, two bright spots - 1. he says what my first thought was, namely that he'll maybe have a good late season because of it, and 2. he doesn't anywhere say he's just wanting to work for the team, rather he says 'why go back to U23, I'm pro now', and 'if I have chances, I'm going to go for them'. That's a good attitude to have on such a deep team.

Well, here are my hopes and dreams for the week:

Valenciana

Alejandro Valverde
Jurgen Roelandts
Ramunas Navardauskas
Danny Van Poppel
Sondre Holst Enger
Matvey Mamykin

Alot of guys here! More than I was expecting. Well, with a TTT and an 800m 'mountaintop' finish and 3 flat stages, not sure what to expect. DvP and Enger can do well in the sprints (and maybe even Roelandts), and of course normally Valverde is a podium threat anywhere. Mamykin doesn't have the team for the TTT and it's his first race. So we will see.

Etoile de Besseges

Bryan Coquard
Amaury Capiot
Vincenzo Albanese

Okay a few finishes are made for Coquard but everyone has him. Capiot and Albanese have definitely never shown the TT skills to give me confidence in something like this, but it's uphill end of the TT so who knows.

Herald Sun Tour

Esteban Chaves

I have one guy, he's the best guy there, but everyone has him. So, it'll be okay.

Re: Re:

Kazistuta said:
Nathanptz said:
1. Danny van Poppel
2. Jurgen Roelandts
3. Matvei Mamykin
Etoile de Bessèges (2.1)
1. Bryan Coquard
2. Sean de Bie
3. Vincenzo Albanese
4. Amaury Capiot
Herald Sun Tour (2.1)
1. Esteban Chaves
2. Robert Power
3. Robbert de Greef

Who is this De Greef? I've never heard of him. Is he related to the famous Ninja candidate Francis? Will be surprised to see him get points in Jayco considering his past results.

They are not related. This De Greef is dutch

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
skidmark said:

Wowee, it really feels like the season is getting started, hey? Races in Australia, races in Argentina, races in Indonesia, Dubai, getting started on European soil in Mallorca and in Marseille... remember before the CQ game when it was kinda nothing until Het Volk? Neither do I.

A busy week, with the potential for a lot of riders riding on various continents, perhaps unsurprisingly saw some big shakeups in the overall. But the week itself (and indeed, the overall) belonged to a name we've already seen in this game this year.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Jon_Ezeitza 483
2 Valv.Piti 434
3 Giallo 421
4 18-Valve. (pithy) 389
5 PeterB 379

Well, if I'm starting the summary with 'unique pick Jay McCarthy' on the week that rider has won the biggest points of the week, you're probably doing pretty well. But newcomer Jon Ezeitza kills it for the second time in three weeks! This team - have you seen this team? Its highest-price rider is 395 point Jack Haig. It has 4 riders picked by over 50 teams, and is 124th out of 129 on the popularity chart. That is a great recipe to win some weeks, at the very least! Loving it. So yeah, other than McCarthy, there are 62 points from unique pick Nikias Arndt, 80 points from rare pick (3 teams) Gregor Muhlberger, 48 points from rare pick Odd Christian Eiking (8 teams) and a handful from other sources (including 30 from Nizzolo, who somehow made his way onto this unconventional squad). Second place goes to Valv.Piti, who picks up 76 points from their team's namesake, 121 from rare (5 teams) Javi Moreno, 91 from the relatively rare (16 teams) Filippo Ganna, and the requisite Coquard/Nizzolo points. Third place Giallo has the Valv/Moreno combo, as well as some decent points from Moscon and Enger. Just also want to note that two teams with names referencing Alejandro Valverde got in the top 5 because of him this week... that may be a recurring theme this year.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 18-Valve. (pithy) (+67)
2 PeterB (+60)
3 Geraint Too Fast (+59)
3 Hugo Koblet (+59)
5 fauniera (+56)

Speaking of that other Valv-referencing team... man do I love the early season. Look at those numbers! 67 spots! There were a few teams that got less than 67 points this week! Anyway, 18-Valve.(pithy) - which, sidenote, is not exactly the most pithy name - takes the top spot, another beneficiary of the Valv/Moreno train (huh, that's 3 out of the 5 Moreno teams that also have Valverde, interesting). PeterB hops a respectable 60 spots with Moreno and no Valverde, just the more common Coquard/Brambilla/Nizzolo/Enger bunch. CQ Game mainstays Geraint Too Fast and Hugo Koblet tie for third with a 'that is more than okay' 59-spot leap. In case you were wondering, GTF is the 5th and final owner of Moreno - a good week for those folks all around.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Jon_Ezeitza 90
2 ChrisDK 46
3 Poles & Co. 42
4 Nathanptz 36
5 Valv.Piti 35
5 l'velo 35

Well yeah, if you win two out of three weeks, it's gonna be you. The rest of the top 5 remains the same, except Valv.Piti jumps into a tie for 5th with the 2nd place weekly points.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+4) Jon_Ezeitza 958
2 (-1) Poles & Co. 730
3 (+7) Sneekes 727
4 (-) bminchow 725
5 (+2) sodak_za 722
6 (-3) Nathanptz 708
7 (+1) Salvarani 670
8 (+29) Giallo 649
9 (+13) search 632
10 (+7) postmanhat 624

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the team that is dominating every other aspect of this game is also dominating the overall. Jon Ezeitza has a 228 point lead with fewer than 1000 points total, which is pretty impressive percentage-wise. Sure, soon enough the Cavendishes and Coquards and Chaves' and Lopezes (wait, how would you pluralize those last two? I'm confused, that doesn't look right) of the world are gonna start scoring, and this team's time will be up. But it is a beautiful thing right now.

Last week's leader Poles & Co drops but holds a respectable second, while Sneekes captures third (fourth place bminchow is the only team in the entire 129 team field to hold position this week). Despite the jumping around, the top 7 teams were all in the top 10 last week - Giallo, search and postmanhat move in, while repre, ChrisDK, and kiszol fall out.

Next week - Valencia, Etoile de Besseges, Herald Sun Tour - oh my! Let's two-point-one it up!

Spreadsheet at dropbox
as per the rankings tab, i am actually 7th this week and was in the top ten last week as well... happy to fly under the radar but wanted to make sure i am reading the sheet properly

@l'velo:
The 'Update' tab displays your score as LaFlorecita's, it seems. I guess that's the tab that skidmark copies the leaderboard from. I'm sure he'll fix it for the next update (or in a correction of this one).

That's indeed some serious Zubeldia-ing you're up to. :D

For Valencia Amador so he can be home with his fiance for the birth of their daughter (whom is being given the same name I have and the same spelling. My name is uncommon and the spelling of it is even more uncommon so I find this really cool.). Jasha Sütterlin is replacing him in the lineup for Movistar.

skidmark said:

Top 10 Overall[/b]

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+4) Jon_Ezeitza 958
2 (-1) Poles & Co. 730
3 (+7) Sneekes 727
4 (-) bminchow 725
5 (+2) sodak_za 722
6 (-3) Nathanptz 708
7 (+1) Salvarani 670
8 (+29) Giallo 649
9 (+13) search 632
10 (+7) postmanhat 624

Spreadsheet at dropbox
Good morning, friend: where I live, in the Basque Country, the plural of the surnames we say without adding "s". For example: the Cavendish, the Coquard, the Chaves, the Lopez ... It is much easier to use them, both when speaking and when writing, and we make life a little less complicated :) .

Re:

Squire said:
@l'velo:
The 'Update' tab displays your score as LaFlorecita's, it seems. I guess that's the tab that skidmark copies the leaderboard from. I'm sure he'll fix it for the next update (or in a correction of this one).

That's indeed some serious Zubeldia-ing you're up to. :D

Whoops, sorry about that! Yes, when I add a new team to the sheet, I copy the line before it and do a find and replace to get the formulas to read the new team name. I forgot that excel has issues with certain characters so it messed up when I put "l'velo" and I had to change it to "lvelo" in the formulas, but I must have copied the rankings tab to the update tab before I did that. It's all fixed now, and I very much doubt anyone else will have the same problem!