• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

MADRAZO said:
I had gotten a little bit worried about my pick of Magnus Cort after he only got picked 3 times, and maybe thought I had underestimated the effect of his broken colorbone in the winter, something that usually does not mean so much since one can often keep training. But what a nice start for him today close to winning in a very strong sprinter-field, and setting himself up for a top GC result in Dubai plus showing a lot of speed that will be very useful later this season where he will have a great calender full of his own chances at Astana, instead of his weird role on Orica where sprinting was often not allowed to fight for top 10 GC spots and so on and where he also was second to Ewan in many races that could have suited him. So I am back thinking he will be a great pick instead of a weakness.
Cort was in and out of my team when putting it together. If Oomen had cost 100 points more, Cort would likely be in. I was happy when I saw he was only picked three times.

I was tempted to take him due to him having guaranteed leadership for all hardman sprinter's races Astana line up for. But I didn't expect him to do what he did today. He could be a good asset for you and the others who picked him.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
MADRAZO said:
I had gotten a little bit worried about my pick of Magnus Cort after he only got picked 3 times, and maybe thought I had underestimated the effect of his broken colorbone in the winter, something that usually does not mean so much since one can often keep training. But what a nice start for him today close to winning in a very strong sprinter-field, and setting himself up for a top GC result in Dubai plus showing a lot of speed that will be very useful later this season where he will have a great calender full of his own chances at Astana, instead of his weird role on Orica where sprinting was often not allowed to fight for top 10 GC spots and so on and where he also was second to Ewan in many races that could have suited him. So I am back thinking he will be a great pick instead of a weakness.
Cort was in and out of my team when putting it together. If Oomen had cost 100 points more, Cort would likely be in. I was happy when I saw he was only picked three times.

I was tempted to take him due to him having guaranteed leadership for all hardman sprinter's races Astana line up for. But I didn't expect him to do what he did today. He could be a good asset for you and the others who picked him.
Cort was good, but i don't think his performance is sustainable. He had a clear road ahead of him, while top sprinters fought against each other on the other side while cancelling their chances. Good positioning by Cort still.

Slow but Steady

Still holding my own in top five. What does this week hold?

Dubai Tour
CAVENDISH Mark
NIZZOLO Giacomo
GARCIA CORTINA Ivan
MINALI Riccardo

Not a great start but still hopeful for a few points at least. Some sort of miracle for Minali would be great. Just to give me some hope.

Colombia Oro y Paz
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
CARTHY Hugh
GUARDINI Andrea

Something from Guardini would be nice.

Vuelta Ciclista a la Region de Murcia Costa Calida
MAS Enric
FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben
KREUZIGER Roman

High hopes here. Is it Kreuziger or Nieve? Can Mas show his stuff?

Trofeo Laigueglia
BRAMBILLA Gianluca !!!
CHEVRIER Clément
MOSER Moreno (Maybe a few points?)

Re:

Martin said:
Seems like Adrien Costa's farewell to cycling:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/adrien-costa-will-not-return-to-axeon-in-2018/#disqus_thread

Although he was super impressive, massive talent, and I had chosen him to be a part of my team, I must say I am happy for him and his decision.
Good luck, whatever you do in future, Adrien!

Ah that’s a bummer. Of course I wish him good luck, but I would have loved to see what he would have become....and he was in my team. :)

Here is my week:

Dubai

Ivan Garcia Cortina
Brandon McNulty
Mark Cavendish
Giacomo Nizzolo

first day done already... IGC finished dead last, uh oh. I thought maybe San Juan was him having gastroenteritis, but maybe it's some bigger issue of form. Well, Colbrelli is their guy anyway so it was gonna be a zero point race for him anyway, just hope he can get it together for early March and some classics. Cav didn't feature in the finale, Nizzolo surprisingly didn't finish in the front group (which, also surprisingly, was only 50 riders) but they're for Degenkolb I suppose. McNulty, on his season debut, was in the front group! That's encouraging, when I saw the Rally rider(s) crash with a few km to go I was worried, but good to see he made it. Well it's not like he's going to go for the overall on Hatta Dam or anything, but still, better than dead last.

Colombia

Andrea Guardini

Guardini in Colombia, hey? Well, moving on...

Provence

David Gaudu

Season debut! Let's see where he's at.

Murcia

Alejandro Valverde
Ruben Fernandez
Enric Mas

Almeria isn't complete yet, but probably similar to above, plus Danny Van Poppel.

Oh boy, after two straight weeks of Valverde scoring some points, it's like a drug. I just want more. I want him to race every week. But I guess this week the 1.1 race is much more likely of a result for him than the HC race. I don't have much of a read on Mas in one-days, but this is a hilly enough one and it's in Spain, so maybe he'll do okay. Almeira is generally flattish and an HC race so without looking I'd have to assume DVP could place quite well.

Laigueglia (I have to look this one up every year to spell it correctly)

Vincenzo Albanese
Andrea Vendrame
Gianluca Brambilla

Well, Albanese or Brambilla could go strongly here, depending on form, and Brambilla did well in Mallorca while Albanese finished anonymously in Marseille. My unique pick Vendrame gets off the mark this year, no idea what to expect, but in general this is the kind of race I hope he top 10s as the year goes on.

skidmark said:
Here is my week:

Dubai

Ivan Garcia Cortina
Brandon McNulty
Mark Cavendish
Giacomo Nizzolo

first day done already... IGC finished dead last, uh oh. I thought maybe San Juan was him having gastroenteritis, but maybe it's some bigger issue of form. Well, Colbrelli is their guy anyway so it was gonna be a zero point race for him anyway, just hope he can get it together for early March and some classics. Cav didn't feature in the finale, Nizzolo surprisingly didn't finish in the front group (which, also surprisingly, was only 50 riders) but they're for Degenkolb I suppose. McNulty, on his season debut, was in the front group! That's encouraging, when I saw the Rally rider(s) crash with a few km to go I was worried, but good to see he made it. Well it's not like he's going to go for the overall on Hatta Dam or anything, but still, better than dead last.

Regarding Cortina he was in the crash 7 km before the finish

"ivan_cortinaToday was not the best day for me, but the important thing I’m well and the feelings before the crash was super tomorrow will be another good day"

Here's mine:

Dubai:

Maximilian Schachmann
Mark Cavendish
Niki Terpstra

Colombia

Alvero Hodeg
Huge Carthy

Provence

Diego Sevilla

Murcia

Alejandro Valverde
Jaime Castrillo
Ruben Fernandez
Zdenek Stybar
Rein Taaramae
Luis Mas

Laigueglia
Gianluca Brambilla

MADRAZO said:
skidmark said:
Here is my week:

Dubai

Ivan Garcia Cortina
Brandon McNulty
Mark Cavendish
Giacomo Nizzolo

Regarding Cortina he was in the crash 7 km before the finish

"ivan_cortinaToday was not the best day for me, but the important thing I’m well and the feelings before the crash was super tomorrow will be another good day"

Of course! I dunno why I didn't think about him being in the crash. Of course usually guys who crash and finish that far back aren't in great shape, but hopefully it was just taking it easy. Thanks for that tidbit and quote, I hadn't seen it anywhere.

120 out 129. Not having the 140 Chaves points really hurts this early in the game but at least the only way is up now. The delayed start for De Plus and Bardet isn't going to help either.

At least Gaviria's doing his thing in Colombia. Minali and Guardini showing signs of life is encouraging.

Hey folks, so I need to line up some people to do updates this year while I'm not around frequent internet. Normally, this is May, June, and July while I work in the bush, but this year I might need some more help. The plan as of now is to do a little bike trip in Europe at the end of March - I'm hoping to catch a stage of Pais Vasco live, as well as Paris-Roubaix, and maybe even Amstel! I'll get to cheer my team on from the front lines. Regardless, it looks like I need help for:

April
May
June
July

I know a few people told me by PM when they submitted their teams that they'd be willing to do updates, but because I got like 150 PMs in a week, I don't exactly remember who said that. Anyway, if I could get some volunteers for each of those months, that would be really great. I'll send you the info on how to update before it comes time. Thanks all.

skidmark said:
Here is my week:

Dubai

Ivan Garcia Cortina
Brandon McNulty
Mark Cavendish
Giacomo Nizzolo

McNulty, on his season debut, was in the front group! That's encouraging, when I saw the Rally rider(s) crash with a few km to go I was worried, but good to see he made it. Well it's not like he's going to go for the overall on Hatta Dam or anything, but still, better than dead last.

So so close :Neutral: . Would've been 160 unexpected points for us :Neutral:

Hakkie2 said:
skidmark said:
Here is my week:

Dubai

Ivan Garcia Cortina
Brandon McNulty
Mark Cavendish
Giacomo Nizzolo

McNulty, on his season debut, was in the front group! That's encouraging, when I saw the Rally rider(s) crash with a few km to go I was worried, but good to see he made it. Well it's not like he's going to go for the overall on Hatta Dam or anything, but still, better than dead last.

So so close :Neutral: . Would've been 160 unexpected points for us :Neutral:

Yeah, it's a bit of a heartbreak for it to look so possible only to have it slip away with 50m to go. CQ points wise, not great, and also, nobody's gonna give him leash anymore. But on the other hand, holy crap how strong is he? I know there was a tailwind and stuff, but he outlasted the rest of the breakaway, and I think it'd have been hard for anyone this side of peak cancellara to keep the peloton at bay that long. Chapeau to the kid, I have hopes for the year still.

Thank God he's only on your team :lol:

He was on my short list, but decided I only wanted to include one of him and Venturini. I finally decided for the latter because of his promising cobblestone prospects. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt me, but so far Laporte is on fire!!!

I can at least take some comfort in the fact that Pierre Barbier alreadt looks as if he's locked down the sprinters position at Roubaix, going into profit (not hard though :) ). There will be plenty of chances on the French calendar for him, if he keeps it up.

Moser 140
Cavendish 64
Senechal 54
Martinez 50
Gaudu 30
Pantano 21
Brambilla 15
Nizzolo 11
Minali 10
Mas 5
Guardini 3

Better than expected, with some unexpected points. Very happy with Senechal's 5th place in Almeria. Great performance as well by Dani Martinez. And of course a GREAT win by Moser and actually he is less popular than I thought, just checked and he isn't even on 50% of the teams :)
On the flip side Minali lost a chunk of points compared to last year when he scored big points in Dubai thanks to the cancellation of the Hatta Dam stage. Also, I would have liked a little more from Gaudu and Brambilla. Unfortunately it seems Van Poppel will be a very good pick which kinda stings because I initially forgot about him and then when I discovered him I couldn't figure out a good way to fit him in so I passed :(

Next week:
Tour of Oman (2.HC)
Superman Lopez
Jakobsen
Terpstra
Bettiol
Cavendish
Conci
Felline
Nizzolo
Kangert
Coquard
Capiot

Vuelta a Andalucia (2.HC)
Moser
Mamykin

Volta ao Algarve (2.HC)
Kennaugh
Senechal
Oomen
Turgis

Tour du Haut Var (2.1)
Enger

Tour of Oman (2.HC)
1. Miguel Angel Lopez
2. Tanel Kangert
3. Robin Carpenter
4. Amaury Capiot
5. Alberto Bettiol
6. Mark Cavendish
7. Odd Christian Eiking
8. Bryan Coquard
9. Giacomo Nizzolo
Vuelta a Andalucia (2.HC)
1. Robbert de Greef
2. Sean de Bie
3. Matvei Mamykin
Volta ao Algarve (2.HC)
1. Peter Kennaugh
2. Geraint Thomas
3. Louis Vervaeke
Tour du Haut Var (2.1)
-

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty decent week I think with Moser, Alaphilippe, Gaudu et al.

Next week with even more potential points

Tour of Oman
KANGERT Tanel
LOPEZ Miguel Angel
CAVENDISH Mark
COQUARD Bryan
CAPIOT Amaury
NIZZOLO Giacomo

Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Ciclista Del Sol
MOSER Moreno
TAARAMÄE Rein

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta
KENNAUGH Peter
KÄMNA Lennard
OOMEN Sam

Tour Cycliste International du Haut Var Matin
ENGER Sondre Holst

Half decent week for me. Loving Moser's win!

So far I have five guys who are in profit.

Next week will be interesting. Curious about the shape of Geraint Thomas.

Tour of Oman (2.HC)
NIZZOLO Giacomo (think maybe he's a reserve)
KANGERT Tanel
LOPEZ Miguel Angel
EIKING Odd Christian
CAVENDISH Mark
JAKOBSEN Fabio
WELTEN Bram
CAPIOT Amaury
COQUARD Bryan

A GT lineup's worth of riders!

Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Ciclista Del Sol (2.HC)
MOSER Moreno
TAARAMÄE Rein
JONES Brenton
DE BIE Sean
MAMYKIN Matvey

This could easily be 0 points...

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta (2.HC)
KENNAUGH Peter
THOMAS Geraint
OOMEN Sam

Tour Cycliste International du Haut Var Matin (2.1)
MÜLLER Patrick
ENGER Sondre Holst

I had a just okay week points-wise: Valverde got 2nd in Murcia, Van Poppel got 2nd in Almeria which is great, and nothing huge from others - Gaudu, Cav, McNulty all got a few dozen. Of course, McNulty almost got a couple of hundred which would have been crazy, but I'm optimistic for his year.

The other side of the coin is what I didn't get. For the most part, non-factors in the game took top spots in GCs and one-days - not that, say, Bernal will be a non-factor for the team that has him, but the point is that I don't have to worry about losing points to a bunch of teams. But there are a few glaring exceptions, primary among them Moser. Congrats to those who played Moser roulette this year, it already looks like a winner. The other big ones are Alaphilippe and Gaviria, both of whom did pretty much as expected. Alaphilippe is interesting to track in relation to a rider I do have in Valverde (adjusting for the point differential of course), as we have talked about before he is someone I would have put on my team if I didn't have Bala. He was always going to win that stage barring crash or illness, and 7th is about the lowest I would have pictured him on GC. Yeah he got more points than Valverde this week, but Valv got 48 in one day, Ala 66 in 6 days. So I'm happy not to lose more, because Alaphilippe is great and could easily go on a tear any time of year in virtually any race.

Anyway, looking forward to next week!

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Unfortunately it seems Van Poppel will be a very good pick which kinda stings because I initially forgot about them and then when I discovered him I couldn't figure out a good way to fit him in so I passed :(

Yeah, van Poppel will be a pain in the ass. I thought he would be leadout for Groenewegen most of the time, but apparently that's not the case.

Weak showings from Ciccone, Albanese, Guardini (Bardiani still in hibernation) and Brambilla. Also i wonder if Bernal wouldn't have been a better choice than Alaphilippe.