• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yay! Off to a good start thanks to Edmondson!

I'm also content with Bennett getting 4th in the New Zealand nats. Although being one of the few WT riders, he obviously had no team, the course didn't really suit him and he had surgery this winter for something to do with chronic side stitch he'd apparently been suffering from. Nevertheless he made the front group and said he didn't really feel any side stitch. Doesn't mean too much yet, but it's about as good as I could have reasonably hoped for from a rare, somewhat expensive pick which I'm not 100% confident about. :)

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I missed no obvious picks, those I did not chose I did for one reason or another. I somewhat regret that I overlooked Haddi Soufiane and Bol Cees, but they are not popular.

A few words about my team:

ALAPHILIPPE Julian 1011 59
If he stays healthy and uninjured and rides a full season he might double his points. Can also be a contender at the Worlds and I like him.

MOSCON Gianni 864 21
Massive talent, with Froome hopefully gone he should get more freedom in stage races and I guess he will lead Sky at the Classics with Van Baarle. Being at Sky he might even finish high at the Worlds.

THEUNS Edward 645 8
I like him, he might double his points. I'm not really convinced though, I chose him over Cort as the latter was injured and Theuns will probably better fit in at Sunweb than Cort at Astana.

LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 629 101
No brainer.

CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 505 107
Can score high in 2 GTs and the Worlds.

ANDERSEN Søren Kragh 478 33
After a very good season this can be his breakout year. Bit risky though.

GAUDU David 352 61
Massive talent, can double his points or stagnate this season.

CAVENDISH Mark 257 115
Even on a downward slope he should at least double his points.

DE PLUS Laurens 239 17
Chose him over Mas, probably not the best choice but he's got talent and should improve his score.

COQUARD Bryan 220 110
No brainer, I hope he's motivated for the french races.

VLIEGEN Loïc 179 7
I believed in him last year, I believe in him this year even more.

WÜRTZ SCHMIDT Mads 160 7
After a good first year at WT I expect a better second year.

RIVERA SERRANO Kevin 155 10
I hope he continues where Bernal left.

HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151 60
Should get his chances as Skys No. 1 sprinter.

SIVAKOV Pavel 142 23
He's talented, I hope he gets a similar race program than Hart last year. Might probably also ride le Tour de l'Avenir.

PLANCKAERT Edward 121 3
Chose him over Capiot as I didn't know if the latter is healthy again. Should improve his scores but I fear a healthy Capiot has a higher ceiling this year.

NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel 120 12
Talented climber in a team with few climbers but not sure if he's a great pick.

JAKOBSEN Fabio 118 28
Quickstep knows how to develop a sprinter, should get his chances in smaller races.

FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben 115 42
After a bad year he can only be better and he is at Movistar so there's always the chance to score 400+ now that the Herrada brothers and Gorke are gone. Was my last pick as I'm not really convinced in him but he should do well in the TDU.

RODRIGUEZ MARTIN Cristian 106 6 ARANBURU DEBA Alex 76 1
They should do well at Caja.

NIZZOLO Giacomo 66 111
No brainer.

PADUN Mark 73 9
Talented and he might get his chances.

KANGERT Tanel 58 86
He's solid and good for 300-500 points.

DE BIE Sean 57 49
Plenty of points in smaller Belgium races.

MCNULTY Brandon 35 13
Talented rider who missed the beginning of last years season. Might also score in the Tour de l'Avenir.

BILLE Gaëtan 35 10
Should do well at Conti level.

COSTA Adrien 27 38
If he's motivated he should be the man to beat at the Tour de l'Avenir. Too great a talent to miss for his cost.

MOSER Moreno 25 57
He's cheap, in a contract year he might score.

KÖNIG Leopold 10 99
He's young enough for a solid comeback.

LEKNESSUND Andreas 0 1
More exciting to cheer for a youngster than hoping for Intxausti to finish a WT race.

ENGER Sondre Holst 0 64
Hoping for 100 points.

I know that some of you create your team by comparing expected returns of various combinations of riders. I don't do that because it seems to me this method is so imprecise and unreliable that it simply does not make sense to use it. But now that I have my team I estimated how many points I expect at the end of the year, if all goes as planned (i.e. cautiously optimistic scenario). I've got to 17400 points.

Anybody else willing to share their projections? It may be interesting to compare not only with reality at the end, but also to get an idea how many points a winning team may need this year.

Re:

PeterB said:
I know that some of you create your team by comparing expected returns of various combinations of riders. I don't do that because it seems to me this method is so imprecise and unreliable that it simply does not make sense to use it. But now that I have my team I estimated how many points I expect at the end of the year, if all goes as planned (i.e. cautiously optimistic scenario). I've got to 17400 points.

Anybody else willing to share their projections? It may be interesting to compare not only with reality at the end, but also to get an idea how many points a winning team may need this year.

I predict that I am very bad at this game so a return of 9,750 for my team

Re:

PeterB said:

I'm going to predict I'm going to be bad at this game. If I finish mid pack I'll be happy.

EvansIsTheBest said:
skidmark said:
Okay, unofficial count is 128 teams. My time to work on this is up for now, but until next time, here's my team:

VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
OOMEN Sam
LATOUR Pierre
GAUDU David
VAN POPPEL Danny
MAS NICOLAU Enric
CAVENDISH Mark
ROELANDTS Jürgen
COQUARD Bryan
KÄMNA Lennard
VENDRAME Andrea
DOULL Owain
BRAMBILLA Gianluca
GARCIA CORTINA Ivan
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
SIVAKOV Pavel
FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben
RIABUSHENKO Aliaksandr
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
MAMYKIN Matvey
NIZZOLO Giacomo
HAUSSLER Heinrich
KANGERT Tanel
GUARDINI Andrea
MCNULTY Brandon
CAPIOT Amaury
ALBANESE Vincenzo
CRADDOCK Lawson
KÖNIG Leopold
ENGER Sondre Holst
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat

I'll be back to discuss at length in the future, I'm sure, but feel free to pick it apart.

I have to say, besides your irrational trust in Grosu, it's the first time I'm scratching my head at some of your selections but first, I'll talk about your picks I really like. Obviously I like the riders we have in common (Lopez, Latour, Gaudu, Mas, Cavendish, Coquard, Fernandez, Navardauskas, Nizzolo, Guardini, Capiot, Craddock, König, Intxausti and Enger) but the reasoning behind most is pretty obvious so I'm not gonna spend a paragraph on them.

Kämna, Roelandts and Oomen were all on my first draft but when you come in at 9000pts you have to cut some riders. Oomen in particular I think is going to break through this year and I'm a bit annoyed to see him picked by so many top players. It just reinforces my belief that his omission is going to blow up right in my face. I never considered Chaves and I wish I had, with good health he's easily a 1000+ pts type of rider and for that price it's a very good pick.

I'm not a Mamykin fan but I think he's better than what he showed last year and he is in a better situation scoring wise this year. Good rare pick.

I like the Valverde choice. Nobody can deny his unique ability to rack up CQ points and for his price point, I'd want at least 2400 to feel really good about selecting him which feels very doable for a rider of his caliber. Still that's a tough ask for anybody turning 38 in the middle of the season. He has to drop off at some point right ? Even without accounting for age-based regression let's look at what his history tells us. He missed a big chunk of the season last year but that's not necessarily where does he does the most damage scoring wise and his start to the season went pretty much as well as you could hope. He scored 1329 pts pre TDF in 2016, 1654 in 2015 and 1458 in 2014 (obviously 1828 in 2017). That's 1567 pts on average. His last 3 TDF + Vuelta were 579 (2016), 883 (2015), 1094 (2014). There's definitely some slippage here. How much was due to racing the Giro in 2016, how does having Landa on top of Quintana affect his GC potential, how many points can he recoup from Contador's (and Froome's ?) absence ? Let's give him his average 852 pts (that seems a bit high to me). That leaves San Sebastian + Lombardia + the Worlds. 600 points in 2014, 399 in 2015, 212 in 2016. Again, his numbers are trending down later in the year (and he has good excuses like no Worlds in 2016 but that's a lot of evidence that's starting to rack up to suggest he has more trouble finishing seasons as he ages). Let's say he would have placed 5th in the Worlds in 2016 had he participated (not unreasonable given his track record at the event), his 2014-2016 average for the three races would be 456 pts. So looking at his performances 2014-2017, if he doesn't slip due to age and doesn't miss time he projects around 2875 pts which would make him a great pick. Honestly with Landa and Quintana on his team, I have a hard time seeing him as a big GC threat in the GTs so I had him more around 400-450 pts for Vuelta and TDF combined which put him right at the limit for consideration. In the end, I'm a bigger believer in the upside of Alaphilippe, Gaviria and Bardet than Valverde for the purpose of this game (plus I like them better) but he was the only other 1000+ pts riders I considered.

Haussler, Kangert, Van Poppel and Brambilla should bounce back and I expect them to be good picks but they are riders that I find difficult to get excited about.

Vendrame and Garcia Cortina didn't jump off the page to me. I would love to hear why you found them so appealing when there are plenty of other worthy options in their price range.

I had Doull last year but he seemed overwhelmed at the WT level and he looks more than a year away to me. Albanese was one of my worst picks last year. He's young and can improve but he was just so, so far away last year, I dont know where he's going to score points in the pros. I feel like there were more worthy gambles in that price range.

Can't say I'm too impressed with your crops of neo-pros though it's always a more difficult (and subjective) exercise than picking established riders. I don't know much about McNulty and Riabushenko but they don't scream special to me. I think Halvorsen is fast but I don't think he's strong enough to hang until the end of WT stages yet. I have zero trust in Sivakov translating his u23 results to the pros (right away).

Finally getting caught up in the thread enough to respond. I'll go into depth on my team choices rider by rider when I have the time, but I can answer a bit of background on the horse-trading aspect of the picks you've highlighted, like how I ended up picking them in the process.

As usual, astute CQ game analysts will find most questions about riders the chooser also waffled on. Valverde I kinda had to decide on early, so I won't talk about him much here (but take your points into consideration for when I do post about it). But as for my team, I locked in 25 riders relatively early - the last 8 were Kamna, Vendrame, Doull, Sivakov, Riabushenko, Mamykin, McNulty, Albanese. Basically, I made my team with the last 8 how I wanted it (with Formolo and Power in place of McNulty and Vendrame), and it was a bit over budget. I got rid of Formolo, because I talked myself out of him being an exciting pick (I reasoned that with Majka, Konig, Kennaugh, and the homegrown developing talents Buchmann and Muhlberger there might not be enough slices of the pie; plus I have considered Formolo pretty much every year he's been a pro and even though I really like him I felt like moving on this year), so he was the one that could go. The rider I didn't have that I was most excited to replace him with was McNulty, so I put him on. I had about 100 points under the limit now. The two guys I was least convinced that I had left on my roster were Riabushenko and Rob Power, so I looked for someone on my list that much above them and was really only left with Vendrame, who I had not seriously considered for my team prior to that, but considered more seriously than the other options in that range. Trading up Riabushenko would have left me two points over, so I just traded Power and was done with it. I toyed with ideas like doing multi trades (like dropping Intxausti for De Bie and someone else for someone else a bit higher) but you've gotta end the process at some point and that point was then for me.

Anyway, Vendrame - I haven't really followed him, never really rated him as a talent. But when I was collecting my longlist through my initial process (which involves going through the CQ list top to bottom for obvious picks, going through every team to look for riders' year-over-year and fit, going through the transfer list, looking at interviews) I saw some things I liked and flagged him for later. Assessing a rider usually has a number of considerations for me, including: potential floor, potential ceiling, development/aging, team switch, team fit, etc. For Vendrame, he's got these things going for him:

- scored 200 points in his neo-pro season
- entering age 24 season, which is a likely time for a leap
- has had some pretty good consistency in lumpy finales; not another obvious candidate that Androni would work for other than Gavazzi
- got a handful of results bigger than 10 points, but they were spread out, in mid-March, early May, early June, and October.

So, I think his floor is quite high, like he was consistent this year, not lucky, so 200 points as a baseline should be replicable. Add in development with age and learning how to ride in a peloton after the first year in the pros, and you can add 100-200 more points maybe. If he gets lucky or hits at the right time and an attack sticks, that can be 80 to 140 points right there in a 1.1 or 1.HC race, on top of other consistent results. And everyone's dream in a rider is that they go on the form of their life for a while and rip off some consecutive results. Androni's calendar is well situated for a rider to take advantage of this, as the .1 and .HC races come thick and fast. Of course, if they go to the Giro and he's selected, that's likely 21 race days of wasted points. But in the end I was like 'sure, why not' for my last pick. And, I believe he's the only unique pick I've ever had in this game! So that's great. Go Andrea!

Eep I've now spent several paragraphs nerding out over rider selection process and have run out of time for this post. Okay, full explanations of my riders coming out in the next few days after the update. I'm back at home now, and the game's getting underway, so I'll be caught up on this thread soon.

Re:

monsieur_hulot said:
Thanks Skidmark, I have updated your spreadsheet a bit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9ew81pre6x0wju/CQ%202018%20final.xlsx?dl=0

Changes I have made:
Fixed the "Rankings tab" so that it has 128 teams (you had accidentally included "the attacking vikings" but this was reading info from "the asian"'s team.
Finished the following tabs: "Popularity table", "Rank popularity" and "All_riders"

Edit - I also fixed the issue Armchair cyclist has raised

Hey, didn't have the chance to get to this in the last few days, so just wanted to say now thanks alot for fixing it up! I'll definitely use this info and integrate it with the other couple of changes I made adding the teams and changes that were overlooked in my PMs. But yeah, thanks alot!

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
PeterB said:

I'm going to predict I'm going to be bad at this game. If I finish mid pack I'll be happy.

That would make you average. Not bad! :) I thought that in my first year last year and almost made the top 50. I was for most of the year but didn't understand the post Vuelta season (still don't).

bminchow said:
Koronin said:
PeterB said:

That would make you average. Not bad! :) I thought that in my first year last year and almost made the top 50. I was for most of the year but didn't understand the post Vuelta season (still don't).

That's why I said I'd be happy if I finish mid-pack. I won't be as bad as I'm expecting.

Post Vuelta is the Worlds and the Italian one day races and some new race. Basically you need some Ardennes classics guys for the Italian one day races.

Update #1: Newcomer takes early lead in Australian Summer

CQ Manager Christmas has come and passed, everyone has showed off their presents and looked at everyone else's. Now it's time to get down to CQ Manager New Year, when the points are thin and the possibilities are high! With only the Aussie and New Zealand national TT and RR results, the first week is always a question of 'who picked the most guys that were actually racing and scored points'? This year, the winners were Hamish Bond (TT) and Jason Christie (RR) in New Zealand, both of whom were on zero teams; Rohan Dennis (Aussie TT) was on 4 teams, and Alex Edmonson (Aussie RR) was on 6 teams. So - not a ton of scoring. There were 8 teams that scored at least 100 points (ie. two non-Edmondson teams), and 50 teams that scored at least something.

Top 10 (of the week and overall, obviously)

Rank Team Points
1 Jon_Ezeitza 180
2 l'velo 140
3 sodak_za 132
4 Blues in the bottle 120
5 Jakob747 116
6 Maaaaaaaarten 112
7 Eric10 100
7 the asian 100
9 CQmanager 90
10 Poles & Co. 72

It's a newcomer to the game, velorooms applicant Jon Ezeitza (interesting fact - the only application I've ever received written in Spanish) who takes the first lead of the year! On top of Edmondson, their team had unique pick (and 2nd place finisher) Jay McCarthy, and 20 points from Miles Scotson for good measure. Second place l'velo rode on the backs of Edmondson and Ewan, and third place sodak_za was the top team without Edmondson, spreading the scoring around with Dennis, Ewan, Durbridge and Bennett.

As you may guess, Green Jersey points are in the same order, so the overall update is really the only necessary one this week. Next week, unless there are some players in the game who score points in Tachira, there won't be an update, although I certainly will provide one if anyone scores. Then, the floodgates will start opening with Bongo, TdU, San Juan, rolling into the European season, the Middle East races, the February warmup races in southern Europe, Het Volk, Paris-Nice, etc etc. Time to discuss our teams some more and pore over provisional start lists, my favourite time of year.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
Those of you who picked Halvorsen will get to see how he performs right away in the TdU. Didn’t pick him...I think he might end up being the second rider I regret not taking.
Yeah, I have no clue to why I picked Fabio Jakobsen over him... oh well, regets!
I think both Halvorsen and Jakobsen could be crucial. Prime candidates for an almost-1000-points neo-pro season, like Demare, Coquard, Kittel, Degenkolb, Ewan and Gaviria.

fauniera said:
With Gaviria and Viviani in front of him? I don't see it for Jakobsen.

Maybe Hodeg is better than him anyway?
I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. There are so many Belgian races and other small races where he will have chances. Better than wasting 21 race days on the Vuelta or something like that.

That he's better than Hodeg is of course something that I and the 27 other Jakobites will be banking on. From what I've seen, I believe Jakobsen is a level above.

Squire said:
Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
Those of you who picked Halvorsen will get to see how he performs right away in the TdU. Didn’t pick him...I think he might end up being the second rider I regret not taking.
Yeah, I have no clue to why I picked Fabio Jakobsen over him... oh well, regets!
I think both Halvorsen and Jakobsen could be crucial. Prime candidates for an almost-1000-points neo-pro season, like Demare, Coquard, Kittel, Degenkolb, Ewan and Gaviria.

:eek: You got a decent amount of faith in them! I see them doing well...just not quite that well.

fauniera said:

That's exactly the reason I didn't pick Jakobsen. Gaviria and Viviani for sure ahead of him, Hodeg possibly as well. And I guess that even Richeze will get chances in some races.

Vesica said:
fauniera said:

That's exactly the reason I didn't pick Jakobsen. Gaviria and Viviani for sure ahead of him, Hodeg possibly as well. And I guess that even Richeze will get chances in some races.

I hope that Jakobsen will ride races as Handzame, Westvlaanderen, the flat flamish races.I do not know Hodeg's bike handling skills nut if they are Colombian, those races are not his at this moment.

BTW what kind of sprinter is Hodeg?

Jspear said:
Squire said:
Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:

:eek: You got a decent amount of faith in them! I see them doing well...just not quite that well.
In my opinion they're the two best U23 sprinters turning pro this year. And the best neo-pro sprinters sometimes score that many points. I'm not saying that they definitely will, but if anybody were to do it, it would likely be one of them.

GP Blanco said:
I hope that Jakobsen will ride races as Handzame, Westvlaanderen, the flat flamish races.I do not know Hodeg's bike handling skills nut if they are Colombian, those races are not his at this moment.

BTW what kind of sprinter is Hodeg?
Hodeg actually rode a lot of Belgian races last year, and did quite well in some of them. ;)

Squire said:
Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
The 1000 points is a bit of a stretch, Kittel is the only one who got there and he was a year older at the time. None of the other cracked 850. In fact, Gaviria (clearly a superior prospect to either Jakobsen and Halvorsen) and Demare (on the back of one massive result in Hamburg that probably oversells how good he actually was his first year) were the only ones above 800. Ewan, Coquard and Degenkolb were between 710 and 750 points and the first two had a perfect schedule. 700 points seems a more reasonable ceiling.

Then you get into the problem that sprinters especially early in their career tend to be the most dependent on their schedule to score. There’s a fair bit of uncertainty for Halvorsen and Jakobsen on that front. All the guys you cited, on top of being great talents had a good schedule and the backing of their team to set up their sprints to get to 700. Degenkolb was the only arguable exception as the number 3 at HTC behind Greipel and Cavendish, but he still had one of the all-time great lead-out teams for finishes too tough for Greipel/Cavendish.

There isn’t a race this year where Jakobsen is going to be better than the third option on the roster for his team. Quick Step does a good job of creating opportunities for their young riders to shine and he’ll get them when Viviani and Gaviria are occupied elsewhere but that caps his scoring potential quite a bit. You have to expect that those juicy one-day races at the end of the year where young sprinters pick up most of their points are going to go to Gaviria instead.

Halvorsen has the opposite problem. He’ll get all the opportunities he can handle but he doesn’t have the best support. He doesn’t even have a lead out man which is going to make consistent scoring difficult and then you’re left with hoping for a few big results on the WT like Demare which is awfully tough to do for a 22-year-old neo pro.

TRENDING THREADS