• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes I agree. No name dropping!! I expected Koronin to know that. She's all over the cycling boards. I'm just whining because this will be my third year so now I have actual expectations for myself. And my picture is Greg LaMond because he comes from where I am from, but i actually hate the guy.

Jancouver said:
Koronin said:
bminchow said:
I can't do this. It is too hard. I spent my whole christmas day trying to figure this out and I can't. It will be fun to see what people do with their line ups because there are so many ways to go this year. Do you guys submit your line ups and then completely change them before the first race? That's where I'm headed. I wish I had some favorite riders so I could just pick them but I don't even have a favorite team. It's hard being an American (for many reasons these days) but I feel like I'm missing the vibe you get in europe for cycling. Maybe it's time to pick a favorite rider. But if I did that it would be Sagan and that's not original. I know. I'll go heavy on the young americans, if there are any. Happy Boxing Day!

You can do it. I'm also American (know how you feel about it not being easy these days). One young American rider to keep your eye on is .... No idea how good he can be, but he has some potential. Also EF Education First probably has the most American riders in their line up. Former US Champ ... will be with AG2R this year. From my profile picture (and many of my posts) I'm sure you can figure out that Valverde is my favorite rider. As an American having a favorite rider being a Spaniard whose English is not very good and doesn't do interviews in any language other than Spanish it can very difficult. (I have great friends, Spaniards, who are more than willing to give me summary translations.)

CQmanager game rule #1 ... No name dropping in this thread!

@bminchow
BTW here you do not pick and change your team on weekly basis but you have one team the entire season ... just in case you thought of this as some NFL fantasy BS

Thank you so much for organising this skidmark. Really enjoy playing it!

Quite a few of my expensive picks were flops or mediocre last year, leading me to dislike them even more. But at least two of them do have the potential to have spectacular seasons, which has exposed a psychological flaw in my selection process. I'm fairly sanguine about a rider I like but discard (Alaphilippe, Yates last year) to have a great season. But a rejected rider I don't care for (Terpstra) being successful, really winds me up to the point of ruining races. Of course if I pick them and they're rubbish again, I'll be even unhappier.

Will echo what everyone has said about how difficult it is this year. There's a few riders everyone will probably consider and only eliminate for emotional reasons of one sort or another. Beyond that, can only see a few from my current list that I'd be confident are on most teams.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised that many of you are saying that this year is tough as I have counted at least 20 obvious picks where at least 15 of those will probably be on most teams.

I did not look at the previous years, but I believe that will be in line with all those previous years.

So my dilemma, as every year, is to find some more unique riders while also keeping those riders I can cheer for.

Re:

postmanhat said:
Thank you so much for organising this skidmark. Really enjoy playing it!

Quite a few of my expensive picks were flops or mediocre last year, leading me to dislike them even more. But at least two of them do have the potential to have spectacular seasons, which has exposed a psychological flaw in my selection process. I'm fairly sanguine about a rider I like but discard (Alaphilippe, Yates last year) to have a great season. But a rejected rider I don't care for (Terpstra) being successful, really winds me up to the point of ruining races. Of course if I pick them and they're rubbish again, I'll be even unhappier.

Will echo what everyone has said about how difficult it is this year. There's a few riders everyone will probably consider and only eliminate for emotional reasons of one sort or another. Beyond that, can only see a few from my current list that I'd be confident are on most teams.

Yeah, I was looking at two riders who could have great seasons, but ended up not putting them on my team because I just flat out don't trust them. Last year I picked several of the riders I really like and basically put together a team around them. Figured if nothing else I'd at least enjoy cheering for them. Couldn't do that as easily this year.

I just posted a reminder in the main road forum as I do around this time every year, so for folks that run other CQ games (Flo for the youth game, AC for the 3-year game, etc) feel free to plug your own games there, which of course will bump the thread up to the top temporarily as well.

Spread the word if you know folks who might wanna play - so far we have 19 entries, about the same as this time last year (we had 18 at the end of December 27th, although the deadline was a day earlier last year), but no new entrants as of yet. That's easier for me since I don't have to make a new spreadsheet page, but I'd definitely rather have new participants than save myself a bit of work!

OK, I'm in: skidmark should have received my PM. It was tempting to dig for '18 underperformers, injured riders that will greatly improve in '19. I did some of that, but mostly selected a team that I like. Very French indeed :) , but also many Italians as it turns out. Hint: if I'm in the mix comes Lombardia, I'll be hard to beat ;) .

Re:

Riverside said:
send my team, now you can be sure that the last place is occupied already )
Don't be such as optimistic. Last year I entered with few riders who didn't get a single point, one of them announced in January he wont start a season, unfortunatelly :rolleyes:

***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT**

CQ has released their official end of year rankings for December 31st, and it seems there were a few point adjustments made in December. I've inputted the new standings into the "Create Your Team" spreadsheet, so please check with that spreadsheet before submitting your final teams.

It also means that 7 of the 26 teams submitted are now a few points over, unfortunately (I also have 9 messages in my inbox that I haven't gotten to yet, I wanted to prioritize this announcement). I'll be PMing people individually, but the following teams had been on budget but are now between 1 and 14 points over:

NorthAmericanScum
Akryo
Vitapen
Koronin
armchairclimber
Riverside
Martin

Sorry guys, you'll have to do a little tweaking before the deadline in 3 days. To everyone else, now that we've finalized the numbers, bring on your submissions!

Figures. Do I need resubmit the entire team or just give the rider I'm swapping out with a new rider? I sent a PM to you with the rider I'm swapping for another rider and it should be back on budget. If I need to resubmit the entire team I can do that as well.

Re:

Koronin said:
Figures. Do I need resubmit the entire team or just give the rider I'm swapping out with a new rider? I sent a PM to you with the rider I'm swapping for another rider and it should be back on budget. If I need to resubmit the entire team I can do that as well.

I already processed your change so no need to worry, but I figured it'd be good to address this generally... for folks making changes, that is all well and good, my preferred method is that you re-send the whole team. If you're only making one change it is often not hard for me just to put that rider in, but especially in the last few days of submission when there are dozens of teams coming in, it's easier just to have a copy/paste.

Also as a note to all, I think most of the changes in the 12/31 file probably have to do with San Juan, as CQ adjusted the results to reflect Najar's official suspension. So if you have Sevilla, Ganna, Torres, Majka, Benoot etc they would have all moved up a GC spot, and for the stages too.

Re: Re:

Martin said:
Don't be such as optimistic. Last year I entered with few riders who didn't get a single point, one of them announced in January he wont start a season, unfortunatelly :rolleyes:

man, you still finished 14 positions higher then me last season, so you can't "beat" me with just a few riders that didn't get a single points ;)

skidmark said:
Koronin said:

I already processed your change so no need to worry, but I figured it'd be good to address this generally... for folks making changes, that is all well and good, my preferred method is that you re-send the whole team. If you're only making one change it is often not hard for me just to put that rider in, but especially in the last few days of submission when there are dozens of teams coming in, it's easier just to have a copy/paste.

Also as a note to all, I think most of the changes in the 12/31 file probably have to do with San Juan, as CQ adjusted the results to reflect Najar's official suspension. So if you have Sevilla, Ganna, Torres, Majka, Benoot etc they would have all moved up a GC spot, and for the stages too.

Good point on the San Juan race, and one of my two likely is effected by this. My other rider that was effected didn't race there, so no idea where his change is from.

Thank you for getting my one rider swapped to get me back to the max points. :D

Koronin said:
skidmark said:
Koronin said:

Good point on the San Juan race, and one of my two likely is effected by this. My other rider that was effected didn't race there, so no idea where his change is from.

Educated guess is that your other rider was affected by Igor Merino juicing up for the national championships.

Squire said:
Koronin said:
skidmark said:
Koronin said:

Educated guess is that your other rider was affected by Igor Merino juicing up for the national championships.

TY, that is definitely possible.

Feeling optimistic with the team I picked this year. (Second year playing)

Hoping to improve from last year. I have a kinda mixed team with a few "older" riders that Im hoping will have a big point return and a better season than they had last year. I also have a lot of riders with potential, that I hope will have taken another step or that will break out this year.

Alright, team submitted. I had 52 riders on the longlist and created nice combination from them right at the budget when I realised in horror that the list did not contain a rider I definitely planned to include from the very beginning. So a few changes needed to be made and in particular a certain climber was replaced by a certain sprinter. 12 nationalities and 19 teams represented.

My team is definitely more diversified from last year with 23 teams represented. I have riders whom I enjoy cheering for and riders I have hope for. Of course riders whose points fit what I needed to put the team together. I do expect it to be a fairly uncommon team.

team submitted.
it was all a bit of a shambles... after some San Juan enforced changes my team came to 9 below. I had a rider I was tempted to replace so did some research and actually found someone who was 9 points more expensive and who I thought could be a better pick. perfect. I replaced my original choice and then saw he was still in my team :confused: . turns out that I had originally chosen him twice :rolleyes: , it worked out fine as I now have both of these riders in my team! :lol:

curious to see who everyone else has. I am not really sure if I have any unique picks or not...

Re:

escartin said:
team submitted.
it was all a bit of a shambles... after some San Juan enforced changes my team came to 9 below. I had a rider I was tempted to replace so did some research and actually found someone who was 9 points more expensive and who I thought could be a better pick. perfect. I replaced my original choice and then saw he was still in my team :confused: . turns out that I had originally chosen him twice :rolleyes: , it worked out fine as I now have both of these riders in my team! :lol:

curious to see who everyone else has. I am not really sure if I have any unique picks or not...

:lol: Obviously you really wanted that specific rider on your team.