• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not that many points this week I think for me. Just from sprints. With Ewan, Trentin and Gaviria.

Landa being out has really hurt my chances for some GC points in these early stage-races. So far some other riders have performed pretty good. But luck ran out with that in PN and TA. De Plus was in a good position in TA, but then was out of it. Which was unfortunate. I think I fell out of the top 10 this week :eek:

Re:

Squire said:
Porte and Bonifazio can no longer mask my trainwreck of a season. Barely got 100 points this week. I expect to drop out of the top 10 and possibly never be seen again until next season. It's not shaping up to be my year.
Perspectives.
Dropping out of the top10 is a trainwreck for you.
(Hopefully) getting in the top100 is a success for me.

:D

I knew that I could trust Nairo to get himself together! I have started to regret choosing Nibali, because I don't think that he is able to win another GT, and with such a strong field in the Giro (Roglic, Bernal, Yates and Dumoulin e.g), I don't even think, that he will podium...but I hope that he at least can get a stage and top 5. I have no expectations for him in the Tour. Aru has been a waste of money/points, he is clearly past it.

Re:

Simurgh said:
I knew that I could trust Nairo to get himself together! I have started to regret choosing Nibali, because I don't think that he is able to win another GT, and with such a strong field in the Giro (Roglic, Bernal, Yates and Dumoulin e.g), I don't even think, that he will podium...but I hope that he at least can get a stage and top 5. I have no expectations for him in the Tour. Aru has been a waste of money/points, he is clearly past it.
Agreed> Nibali and Aru are really messing this up. I'm guessing at MSR we'll see what Nibali is capable of when motivated. But I'm not holding out hope.

Update #10: Weekly and Overall Rankings feel a Pop

Whatever your gauge is, by the time Paris-Nice winds up, the season has most certainly officially started. Big points on offer for a 2.WT1 race, and it's won by a rider that is picked by more than a few people here (but not THAT many - 26 teams), so that is almost certainly going to shake things up significantly in this game.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Popchu 659
2 del1962 625
3 Geraint Too Fast 607
4 Leadbelly 600
5 18-Valve. (pithy) 598

Week 6 winner Popchu gets another win this year with a very robust 659 points. If you thought that Egan Bernal's 274 points had something to do with that, well you'd be right. But even rarer pick (8 teams) Nairo Quintana's 213 points is a fine complement to that. Throw in Zakarin's 70, unique pick Lutsenko's 45 for the stage win in T-A, and that's mostly it for the stellar week. del1962 has a great week too with basically the same point-getters minus Lutsenko, while GTF clears 600 as well with the big two Colombians as well (I guess people who like one like the other - GTF has the same riders as above but was missing the 18 Gaviria points that the other two had).

This Week's Top Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Geraint Too Fast (+47)
1 Eric10 (+47)
3 Hugo Koblet (+41)
4 Leadbelly (+38)
5 18-Valve. (pithy) (+35)

The aforementioned GTF is atop this chart, but is tied with Eric10, who just missed out on the top 5 of the other standings having Bernal and Haig rather than Bernal and Quintana. Game founder Hugo Koblet makes an appearance (and was also just outside the top 5 scorers), amazingly also with Bernal and Haig (the latter of which is only on four teams).

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Popchu 118
2 MADRAZO 95
2 just_some_guy 95
4 armchairclimber 80
5 del1962 75

A second weekly win vaults Popchu over the previous deadlock for first place in this competition, dropping MADRAZO and jsg to second. Popchu had been in a 3-way tie for 3rd with 73 points, but their team's win and del's 35 points for second place has changed that to a two-way tie for 6th, just off the chart.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (+14) Popchu 2258
2 (-1) Blues in the bottle 2140
3 (-1) MADRAZO 2111
4 (+32) del1962 2094
5 (-1) just_some_guy 2077
6 (+1) shalgo 2069
7 (-4) Salvarani 2050
8 (-3) Amis_Velo 2029
9 (+35) 18-Valve. (pithy) 2011
10 (+38) Leadbelly 2005

There are... a few changes here. I guess the 26 teams that had Bernal and the 8 teams who had Quintana (at least 4 of them with both) really got a leg up on everyone else. Popchu absolutely launches up the charts, going from 15th place into 1st overall by over 100 points. The rest of the top 10 is some minor shuffling mixed with some crazy leaps. Aside from our new leader, del, 18-Valve and Leadbelly all jump over 30 spots into the top 10, while Nicosix, Londonpat, TheArt and Squire tumble out.

We've still got the overall of Tirenno to decide this week, as well as a glut of 1.HC races and - oh, what's this? Our first monument of the season!! Another fun week coming up!

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks skidmark, and koronin, bro, I hear the pain...and just dropped 21 spots to 97th. but the best is yet to come. But I agree that unless we get diagnosed with bilharzia and miracles happen, it's not looking too good :) . But we know miracles can happen.

Hats off to the students of the game...600 points in a week, that's insane. Bravo.

Cheers Skidmark. Dropping 23 places in a week is pretty much what I expected after some poor performances at PN and TA. Lot's of point scoring opportunities this week though ... but MSR is a bit murky looking right now. A bit of a lottery over the next seven days, but if you want the jackpot, you at least need tickets ... and I have a fair few of them.

Hodeg
Evenepoel
Mareczko
Tanfield
Kanter
Philipsen
Morin
Journiaux
Nishimura
Guernalec
Dunbar and Timmermanns all racing in Belgium.

Nibali
Philipsen
Gaviria and who knows who else at MSR.

Damn, down 18 places from number 14 this week. Paris-Nice was not good to me. Tirreno is a little better, and I am set for two fringe top 15 places for Bettiol and Nibali (not exactly the two rarest picks, though). Hopefully, Küng and Kragh will get points in today's TT. A victory there for Küng would be really nice.

Things look a lot less bleak when I look towards the HC-races of the week:

For Nokere Koerse, I have Remco Evenepoel, Matteo Moschetti, Mathieu van der Poel and Lars Boom. That looks quite excellent.

For Bredene Koksijde Classic, I have the same except for van der Poel.

Luckily, he will race the GP Dénain together with Boom and Moschetti.

For Milan-Sanremo, it looks like I will have at least Nibali, Landa, Cosnefroy, Kragh, Ewan, Küng, Trentin, Gibbons (not on PCS, but surely he will be there?), Bettiol, Rowe and Felline the Useless. At least that's a lot of riders, but apart from Ewan, Trentin and perhaps Gibbons there isn't too much top 10 potential. Sorry for that, Vincenzo.

Oh, and the good thing about the past week is that a lot of my most popular non-picks showed themselves to be as dreadful as I had though (Cavendish, Meintjes and Bouhanni), while Gaviria isn't exactly looking like he is in world-beating shape, either.

I don't understand why people are worried about Nibali. Surely you didn't pick him hoping he would turn back time and start collecting points early in the season like it's 2013 again

For reference Nibali had:
- 79 points after TA when he scored 1822 in 2017.
- 50 points after TA when he scored 1496 in 2015

He's looking at something between 50 and 60 after TA this year, so perfectly on par. If he's not good come late april, then I'll start to worry.

I suppose it is a slow sign that things are getting better when my popular picks at least finally start getting a few points - Zakarin got 10th in P-N, and Bettiol and Nibali are getting some minor points in T-A... still, phew, rough start to the year. My rarer picks better do the job next. I'm mindful that even in late summer, I look up the standings and calculate the possibility of catching teams that are like 1000 points in front of me. Sure, 1000 points seems like a lot when you only have, like, 1000. But there's a long way to go. This week, it has to start, though.

Nokere Koerse

Remco Evenepoel
Kristoffer Halvorsen
Pavel Sivakov
Nacer Bouhanni
Mathieu Van Der Poel
Lars Boom
Baptiste Planckaert

Van Der Poel's road season begins! I can't wait. Odds are this is a reduced bunch at the end - I heard reports that the weather was supposed to be bad, but the forecast doesn't look it. Is Bouhanni really racing? And if so, will he actually race or just drop out after 10km? One would *think* that he'll wanna push it to get something in before MSR, but one would've thought that about T-A too. VdP should be a contender here for sure, and Halvorsen would feature if he got to the end, but hasn't the last two years. Planckaert is always good for a placing if he's the featured guy, and Boom has the power to get in the right small group. A lot of potential here.

Handzame

The same minus VdP and Bouhanni (who I guess is going to MSR? Please let him do well there) This should be Halvorsen's place to shine if anywhere. I don't expect anything from Remco or Sivakov in these races and would be happy if they stayed upright.

GP Denain

Baptiste Planckaert
Mathieu Van Der Poel
Rudy Barbier
Lars Boom

The first three of these guys could feature in a sprint. This is exactly the kind of race I wanted someone like Coquard for, but I guess he's taking a bit of a break, too bad.

Between those three races I hope - well, I guess I should say, "have" - to get something decent going. MSR lineup isn't finalized yet, so I'll hold off on my hopes on that one.

skidmark said:
GP Denain

Baptiste Planckaert
Mathieu Van Der Poel
Rudy Barbier
Lars Boom

The first three of these guys could feature in a sprint. This is exactly the kind of race I wanted someone like Coquard for, but I guess he's taking a bit of a break, too bad.

You realise that this has become a cobbled race from this year, right? Last year, that was the plan as well, but in the end, bad weather forced the organisers to skip the cobbles after all.

But there will be 12 sectors of pavé, so surely it will not end in a sprint. In fact, I think Boom and MvdP are the two biggest favourites going in.

Thank you Skidmark, for the update.

My second week win, leader in the Green Jersey Competition and Overall leader. It's all downhill from here, I guess! :)

Not much to look forward to in the next week. Halvorssen could pick up some points and I hope Bouhanni shows some signs of life. Too bad Lutsenko is not riding Sanremo, incomprehensible decision.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't understand why people are worried about Nibali. Surely you didn't pick him hoping he would turn back time and start collecting points early in the season like it's 2013 again

For reference Nibali had:
- 79 points after TA when he scored 1822 in 2017.
- 50 points after TA when he scored 1496 in 2015

He's looking at something between 50 and 60 after TA this year, so perfectly on par. If he's not good come late april, then I'll start to worry.

I picked him figuring he could gain more points this year than he did last year due to that injury. Also basically HOPING he's fully recovered, physically, from the injury.

Couldn't watch Nokere Koerse today so when I just checked the results I was a little disappointed to find none of my hopefuls in the top-20. And now I just saw a video of the final, and I see it was Walscheid and Moschetti who went down in the crash. Even more disappointed now :( I hope they and the others who crashed aren't too badly hurt. Moschetti gets 2 more chances later this week but Sunweb isn't sending a team to Bredene and Denain, this was a good chance for Walscheid to score some points.

LaFlorecita said:
Couldn't watch Nokere Koerse today so when I just checked the results I was a little disappointed to find none of my hopefuls in the top-20. And now I just saw a video of the final, and I see it was Walscheid and Moschetti who went down in the crash. Even more disappointed now :( I hope they and the others who crashed aren't too badly hurt. Moschetti gets 2 more chances later this week but Sunweb isn't sending a team to Bredene and Denain, this was a good chance for Walscheid to score some points.

He was going backwards when he crashed as well unfortunately. The crash scuppered a lot of people on the points front today ... (I wasn't too bad with Philipsen) ... but the health of those riders was a bigger concern.

Maybe this weekend will be a little better.

Bredene Koksijde Classic

Remco Evenepoel
Keil Reijnen
Marco Mathis

Milan-San Remo

Alejandro Valverde
Mikel Landa
Jurgen Roelandts
Vincenzo Nibali
Larry Warbasse
Albert Bettiol
Tomasz Marczynski
Bernhard Eisel
Neilson Powless

GP de Denain - Porte du Hainaut
Kiel Reijnen
Marco Mathis

Hopefully I can collect a few points in these races. Hopefully Landa can finish without crashing.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
MSR

EWAN Caleb
NIBALI Vincenzo
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NIZZOLO Giacomo
BOUHANNI Nacer
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
CARBONI Giovanni
VAN ASBROECK Tom
MCLAY Daniel

I think only Ewan can survive Poggio if the big guns go crazy so the expectations are not very high.

Re:

Jancouver said:
MSR

EWAN Caleb
NIBALI Vincenzo
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NIZZOLO Giacomo
BOUHANNI Nacer
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
CARBONI Giovanni
VAN ASBROECK Tom
MCLAY Daniel

I think only Ewan can survive Poggio if the big guns go crazy so the expectations are not very high.
I also have Ewan, Nibali, and Gaviria...the year that Demare won, Gaviria was there. I like our chances ;) .

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Jancouver said:
MSR

EWAN Caleb
NIBALI Vincenzo
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NIZZOLO Giacomo
BOUHANNI Nacer
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
CARBONI Giovanni
VAN ASBROECK Tom
MCLAY Daniel

I also have Ewan, Nibali, and Gaviria...the year that Demare won, Gaviria was there. I like our chances ;) .

He was therr every time he participated. But that certainly doesn't mean he will be there this year.

TRENDING THREADS