• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwiatkowski might actually turn out being a decent pick considering he didn't burn himself out at the Tour (for once). His shape looks good entering the Classics.
You're absolutely right. My brain just went "he has half his score from last year and it's already late september so how many more points can he really get" but yeah I forgot about the covid calendar for a minute. He'll be fine. Especially since it seems like Ineos might actually ride for him for once.

Soren Kragh Andersen did really well at the Bink Banck Tour. Minali apparently scored some points this week, I wonder how that happened.

LBL
Dumoulin
Kämna
J. Lopez
Vakoc
That's not ideal.

Giro
Almeida
Bjerg
McNulty
Oomen
Gaviria
Restrepo
Haas
Gaviria will get something from the sprints hopefully. No Yates is going to be painful I think. Bjerg did better than expected today. Almeida, McNulty and Oomen should all be pretty high in the GC considering the field.

Not a great week for me, points for Soren Kragh Andersen at Binckbank but almost nothing else.

LBL:

Dumoulin
Kamna
Hayter
Froome
Ardila

Not great at all. Wasn't expecting to see Froome here, but even before the crash there was a reason he hasn't raced a one day race since January 2017.

The Giro looks better though. Almeida and Foss scored points today.

Yates
Gaviria
Padun
Oomen
Foss
Haas
Almeida
Meintjes
Molano
Cepeda

Update #24: It's Reeeeeally Close at the Top Now

Despite the cancellation of one stage, the BinkBank Tour offered the full complement of stage race points, which when combined with Liege/Fleche, the start of the Giro, the 2.1 Vuelta a Portugal and a few minor country NCs, led to yet another week where the top teams flirted with 1000 points.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1DJ Sprtsch1043
2Mellow Velo1002
3BlueRoads916
4SafeBet888
5triley36885

Indeed, the top 2 teams do clear the 1000-point barrier, and DJ Sprtsch wins fairly comfortably with 1043. Of course their team was one of the 15 with Hirschi, whose 390 points on the week were enormous, although I'm sure his owners are all asking if he should have gotten even more had that sprint been clean (I'm of a mind from the overhead shot that Pogacar had a good shot at taking it with the speed he was carrying, but I guess we'll never know). Soren Kragh Andersen's 208 points were welcome as well, and the top-heavy team is complemented by 136 from rare pick Mohoric (14 teams) and 138 from the more popular Kwiatkowski (65). Mellow Velo doesn't repeat their (corrected) weekly victory a few weeks ago, but clears 1000 as well, missing Mohoric from the above configuration but closing the gap a little with more riders scoring a few dozen here and there. BlueRoads, last week's winner, keeps up a good streak with 3rd here thanks to Hirschi, Kwiatko, and 160 from unique pick Benoit Cosnefroy.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Mellow Velo(+32)
2Eric10(+30)
3DJ Sprtsch(+26)
4armchairclimber(+17)
4del1962(+17)

Mellow Velo comes out tops in this one, leaping an impressive 32 spots. DJ Sprtsch double podiums with a third place, while Eric10 is the newcomer to this ranking after ranking just outside the top 5 in Top Scorers.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747279.7
2ChrisDK192
3BlueRoads178
4Nathanptz151
5Wallenquist148

BlueRoads has two great weeks in a row, but it's not enough to overtake the giant lead that the top two have on the rest of the field (and, within that, the huge lead Jakob still has over ChrisDK). No points scored in the top 5 other than BlueRoads.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)8147
2(+1)BlueRoads8142
3(+1)Londonpat7670
4(+2)Wallenquist7669
5(+3)Nathanptz7619
6(+3)Object7600
7(-2)bminchow7527
8(-1)Lortnoc7524
9(-7)mineralJ7499
10(+4)SafeBet7489

Two weeks ago, after the Tour, Jakob's lead was over 800 points; now it is a mere FIVE points!d BlueRoads has closed the gap significantly on this current run, closing the gap by 416 more points this week even with Jakob getting some more points from marquee pick Pogacar. Although the top 2 are in front of the rest of the field by almost 500 points, we've seen how quickly a gap can close, and there are still 2 GTs left and 2 monuments, so even though normally this would be the last major week of the season in October, there's a lot of racing to go. Londonpat edges out Wallenquist by a single point for the last podium spot, and less than 200 points splits 3rd-10th. SafeBet parlays 4th on points this week into a leap into the top 10, while team skidmark slides down to 11th.

This week - the Giro continues, the spring classics continue their backwards crawl, moving out of Liege to Brabantse Pijl to Gent-Wevelgem, while Paris-Tours takes place at its normal time of the season on the same day as G-W. Too bad we lost Amstel Gold, but it's still a great slate leading up to the crazy last few weeks of the season.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Amazing stuff!
Now, McNulty, keep your top ten and Mohoric, please repeat your preformance from LBL!
Pinot and Bardet to podium the Vuelta, pretty please. Will Martinez ride the Vuelta, or will he be out due to Ineos next year? Magnus Cort also better show something!

Second, to be honest I don't deserve to be there. Nonetheless of course I am hoping for the best! I will fight for every point, no matter if Alaphilippe or toby want to take them away from me!
The next weeks won't be great for me. Now Yates does not look the biggest threat anymore, but there are many others, like Almeida or Kelderman. I was undecided whether to take Almeida or Bagioli and then took Bagioli and he was a great pick. Only I should have taken both. At the Vuelta my team will probably be very weak, as well.
My hopes are now on
  • Pinot winning the Vuelta
  • Cosnefroy winning the Br pijl (or at least getting a decent result, like some others)
  • van Aert. And van Aert. You don't need to win those monuments, you just need to do really well, Wout! (Win would be great, though...)
  • Kwiatkowski has a few big races on schedule, too...

Apart from these most seem to have ended their season or won't play any role for points. Martinez doing the Vuelta would be very good, but I don't know if he will. Maybe Kragh Andersen will podium the Vuelta, then I'm done.

My original goal was to be in the upper half, I am now aiming for a top20. If I am in the top10 in the end I will send Remco Evenepoel a gift basket.

Almeida might actually drag my team back into the top 10 if he continues riding like that. Amazing stuff.
McNulty is looking better everyday. Restrepo and Bjerg are trying really hard to get points but unfortunately Gaviria isn't.
I'm still surprised at how well my team is going considering none of my four most expensive picks (Evenepoel, Pinot, Bardet and Gaviria) are going to break even.

Update #25: We Have a New Leader

Hey folks - pardon the delay this week, I've been travelling and didn't get a chance until now. In any event, as the season tentatively moves on, we are reaching the endgame... with P-R cancelled and Covid on the rise everywhere in Europe, obviously the few remaining one-day races (Flanders and De Panne) as well as the end of the Giro, let alone the Vuelta, are in doubt, and so it's hard to know exactly what this game is going to look like in the end. But we do know how this last week has gone, so I'll just get to that.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1rote_laterne437
2AlyKaptan418
3Sneekes409
4greenedge404
5LukasCPH400

A relatively quiet week compared to some of the others we've had, rote_laterne comes out on top with 437 points. Unsurprisingly, their team was one of 7 with Mads Pedersen, who got 220 for the Gent-Wevelgem win and therefore accounts for more than half the weekly points for anyone who has him. rote_laterne got some good support from other rare picks, with 70 for the stage win at the Giro for Caicedo (3 teams), 58 from Madouas (4 teams), 40 from Andrea Bagioli (25 teams) and 32 from Leknessund (7 teams). AlyKaptan slots into second with of course the 220 from Pedersen, and next highest scores from Kwiatkowski (46 points) and Bardet (45). Sneekes, uh, sneaks into third, clearing 400 without Pedersen but rather as one of the 19 profiting from Almeida's stint in pink (151 pointst this week), as well as 58 from Van Aert who keeps chugging along.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1rote_laterne(+18)
2Mayomaniac(+12)
3Eyeballs Out(+9)
3Ferminal(+9)
5tom_jelte(+8)
5AlyKaptan(+8)
5Sneekes(+8)

Folks, it's getting down to the end of the season - 400 points on the week will get you a double digit jump still, but just barely. rote_laterne doubles up, whereas the rest of the podium is new faces, Mayomaniac getting second as the only other team to jump double digits, and Eyeballs Out and Ferminal tying for third.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747279.7
2ChrisDK192
3BlueRoads178
4Wallenquist166
5Nathanptz151

It may be fairly safe to say that the top of this leaderboard is pretty set; of course, if near future events get cancelled it will be even more likely, but even so with four or five weeks left and basically a two week lead, Jakob is looking solid on top. Wallenquist is the only one of the top 5 to score this week, moving up with 18 points on the week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+1)8454
2(-1)Jakob7478164
3(+1)Wallenquist8055
4(+3)bminchow7903
5(+1)Object7880
6(-1)Nathanptz7821
7(-4)Londonpat7814
8(-)Lortnoc7771
9(+1)SafeBet7715
10(-1)mineralJ7658

It was bound to happen. BlueRoads pulled to within 5 points of longtime leader Jakob747 last week, and this week swings decisively into first place. Jakob actually got last place on the week, with their team picking up 17 points in total - it's a testament to the rest of their season that they manage to hold onto second. With Yates out of the Giro and Pogacar's season over, it is a very thin path back to first place. Wallenquist moves onto the podium, while despite a bit of jumping around, no one moves in or out of the top 10.

This week we've got the second week of the Giro, we've already had the Scheldeprijs, and fingers crossed, we will have the Tour of Flanders on Sunday.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Yeah, Bardet would have been a great addition for my Vuelta team too.
Almeida and McNulty really carry my team atm, for the Vuelta I have Dumoulin and Pinot, zero experctations for Froome, Bagioli as a wildcard early on, Mas and Max Kanter for the sprints (?).
For the RVV I only have Kwaitkowski, Moscon and Bardet, so not the greatest team overall.

I'm torn. Would love Kelderman or at least Almeida to podium the Giro, but they are hurting my team badly...
For Flanders:
van Aert... Geniets, Konychev, Battistella, Kwiatkowski, Maitre... so basically van Aert.
Driedaagse: forgettable.
For the Vuelta:
Dumoulin, G Bennett, Godon, Pinot, Martinez, Bagioli, Garrison, Steimle, J.P. Lopez - not a bad team, but I think these riders are either not in good health or there as helpers.
I will have to see.

Flanders:
BARDET Romain
VAN DER HOORN Taco
PEDERSEN Mads
VAKOČ Petr
VALGREN Michael
KRAGH ANDERSEN Søren

The three Danes and Vakoc are the best chances for some points. Pedersen Im cheering for a little bit extra for the purpose of this game.

Vuelta:
DUMOULIN Tom
KUSS Sepp
GENIEZ Alexandre
BAGIOLI Andrea
CORT Magnus
STANNARD Robert
MAS Enric
SOLER Marc
VALGREN Michael
MÄDER Gino

If PCS is correct... it looks decent. Im feeling optimistic, so it will probably turn out the other way.

Update #26: Sneekes ekes out a win

We've had our final monument of the season, and our second grand tour is winding its way towards a conclusion. I'll have to be a tad briefer than usual this week as I'm on the road, but I'll be back and settled for next week's update, so I promise I'll give these last few weeks the attention they deserve. This week saw another win under 500 points; I'm sure this week with the Giro GC it will be different.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Sneekes492
2Yellow Knight488
3bminchow481
4escartin472
5Rebels428

Sneekes grabs the top spot this week headlined by two riders who have shown up on various occasions for leading weekly teams this seaon - Van Aert added 170 and Almeida added 197, making this yet another week in which he's gotten more points than his total cost of 112. And, well, it looks like he's lined up for a significant amount more this week. Sneekes also got 72 points from McNulty and 34 from Meurisse, which made the difference as it was tight at the top. Yellow Knight only came in 4 points behind, and has shown up a few times this season in the top with an interesting combo of Sagan and Sam Bennett, who got points this week on top of those of Almeida, Narvaez and McNulty. bminchow has shown up a lot in these standings as well and has the same big 2 riders (and notably potentially for this upcoming week, also has Kelderman).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1escartin(+20)
2ray10(+18)
3Yellow Knight(+12)
4karaev(+11)
5Mayomaniac(+10)
5Shawnm4747(+10)
5Blues in the bottle(+10)

A different crew on here, with escartin moving up 20 spots thanks to Guess Who (ie WvA) and Oh Yeah He Got Points This Week (Sagan with 110). ray10 was one of the two teams to get the full 280 points from MvdP, and Yellow Knight shows up on both rankings this week.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Jakob747279.7
2ChrisDK192
3Wallenquist184
4bminchow180
5BlueRoads178

Wallenquist gets 18 points on the week and bminchow gets 30 to create some more bunching around 2nd place, but Jakob747's lead here is still not really under threat, although if the last two weeks of the season are only the Vuelta and someone has rare riders that do well there, it could conceivably tighten.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)8644
2(+1)Wallenquist8457
3(+1)bminchow8384
4(-2)Jakob7478229
5(-)Object8150
6(-)Nathanptz8140
7(+1)Lortnoc8091
8(-1)Londonpat8033
9(+3)Nyssinator7946
10(+3)EvansIsTheBest7877

BlueRoads only got 190 points this week, whereas Wallenquist and bminchow were in the top 10 of the week, so a bit more is at play at the top of the list, although the top teams are separated by triple digits so it's not neck-in-neck per se. But a lot of points are to be had from the GCs at the 2 GTs still in play, so it will be interesting to see how the season ends. Usually in this game, there's the Vuelta, some pretty clear teams with chances for big points in the Worlds, but then a bit of a wind down with some one-day races, and after Lombardia there's the China race and Japan Cup, which have very few riders participating. Here, the last race of the season is the Vuelta, with big points and big names. Aside from the inherent uncertainty of any race in times of covid, this is shaping up to be pretty open right up until the sudden end.

This is our last real overlap week (presuming Sardinia goes ahead we will have one other small race overlapping the Vuelta), and although the crazy triumvirate of October 25th no longer includes Roubaix, there is still the last week of the Giro, the Vuelta starting on Tuesday, and - try to imagine hearing this sentence in 2015 and believing it would be true - the last one-day race of the year, the WorldTour level Three Days of De Panne.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch

TRENDING THREADS