• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a fun fall!! Sucked not having cycling for several months, but it sure got exciting when it opened back up. I've had a very fortunate life, and now I have achieved my fantasy cycling dream way too soon. Now what do I have to live for? I guess there are many story lines for next year that will make it as interesting as ever. I was goin gto start looking at next years roster but maybe I should enjoy for a couple of days. Thanks again Skid for keeping this thing going!

Well I finish the season with a podium. Who knew that was possible the way my team was all season. Nice to see that. Also mostly thanks to Mas and Valverde I actually finished inside the top 100 instead of last where I was expecting to be based on how horrible my team was to start the season.

For next year, I'd go with the full points mostly because next year is going to have issues as this year has, although hopefully not as many as vaccines start to roll out. Plus la Vuelta gave a real blue print on how to keep the teams in a bubble.

Thanks Sikmark for running this game.

Reactions: postmanhat
Thanks skidmark, for all the work!

I vote for keeping the budget at 7500. Any other number would feel arbitrary no matter what it's based on, and, as Hugo says, we don't quite know what next season will be like.

As a bit of a record keeper of this game, keeping 7500 will also greatly simplify all that stuff.

And so what if the teams are better than most years? Let's have a wild CQ year and enjoy the (potential) points bonanza!

With such an abundance of riches to choose from, the teams will likely not be too similar either.

Reactions: SafeBet and Koronin
Thank You Skidmark for running the game for a yet another year.
Congrats to briminchow for the win as well as to the podium finishers.

I'd also prefer the budget to be at 7500 points . There will be a possibility to pick a variety of riders and make the game exciting. With Tour Down Under all ready cancelled, I wouldn't be a surprised if a few other Tier 2 WT races and small races are cancelled.

So there could be few opportunities for riders on small teams and WT Riders should have way more opportunities.

Thanks, as always, to Skidmark for running the game. Congrats to Briminchow on their win. Not a good year for my team, but very much enjoyed participating again.

For next year, I am in agreement, the budget should be 7500. There is a high chance next season could be adversely affected as this years was. Having budget at 7500 could lend to some very interesting team selections and also it would provide some continuity to the game.

ended up near the top 40 which is not too bad. although being one of the few to pick van Aert should probably have taken me higher. the issue was that I was the only one who combined that pick with Sagan. he did not do horrifically as he was actually my 2nd highest scorer but he did not score 50% of his 2019 total.
the massive fails with regards to points were Latour and Padun,

just checked my long list I made and I had Almeida on it :rolleyes:.

I would also be in favour of keeping it at 7,500.

Thanks skidmark for all your hard work running this game.

Congrats to bminchow for putting together the winning team. Two home runs (Almeida and Van Aert) and a bunch of very solid picks, well deserved.

I'm happy with the way my team performed. For a while I had a fun battle for the top spot with Hakkie and later with Jakob. I don't understand how I managed to hang on to a spot in the top 10 considering the way my most expensive picks finished the year: Evenepoel (fractured pelvis), Pinot (injured during the Tour), Gaviria (second Covid-19 positive test), Bardet (concussion) and Latour (being bad all year). Hopefully they'll have better health/luck next year.

Snuck into the top 10 in the last week, not a bad result for a first attempt. Despite my top 6 most expensive riders including Pinot, Gaviria, Moscon and Latour. Almeida was obviously a big help, along with good contributions from Kamna, Bouhanni and Soren Kragh Andersen,and rare pick Hugh Carthy getting the points at the end.

Thanks to skidmark for running the game.

I'm unsure on the budget for next season in terms of how it'll affect the composition of the teams. 7500 will give a lot more options at the top end, but I wonder how many neopros or pro conti riders would be picked. Though if the season is disrupted again they might all be bad picks - picking guys to score points outside the World Tour looks as much a gamble that the races go ahead as anything else.

Last edited:
Snuck into the top 10 in the last week, not a bad result for a first attempt. Despite my top 6 most expensive riders including Pinot, Gaviria, Moscon and Latour. Almeida was obviously a big help, along with good contributions from Kamna, Bouhanni and Soren Kragh Andersen,and rare pick Hugh Carthy getting the points at the end.

Thanks to skidmark for running the game.

I'm unsure on the budget for next season in terms of how it'll affect the composition of the teams. 7500 will give a lot more options at the top end, but I wonder how many neopros or pro conti riders would be picked. Though if the season is disrupted again they might all be bad picks - picking guys to score points outside the World Tour looks as much a gamble that the races go ahead as anything else.
Yeah that's my main argument for the 7500 budget. We really have no idea how many small races will go through next year.

Thanks again for all Skidmarks work with the game and concratulations to the winner. As usual my expensive picks did fairly bad so it was a fairly mediocre year for me.

Regarding next year I have no strong opinion on the budget for next years game, but I think many of us would just like to know the conclusion the sooner the better so we can start preparing our teams. Its a bit hard to prepare seriosly until its decided. Is there a estimate on when this is decided ? I think Skidmark as the responsible for the game should just decide what he think is best.

Reactions: vladimir
Thanks again for all Skidmarks work with the game and concratulations to the winner. As usual my expensive picks did fairly bad so it was a fairly mediocre year for me.

Regarding next year I have no strong opinion on the budget for next years game, but I think many of us would just like to know the conclusion the sooner the better so we can start preparing our teams. Its a bit hard to prepare seriosly until its decided. Is there a estimate on when this is decided ? I think Skidmark as the responsible for the game should just decide what he think is best.
Fully agree with Madrazo! I think a lot of us are starting to create the first draft for next year now, so a decision on budget should come as soon as possible. Also agree that it's fine that Skidmark could decide this without creating any kind of popularity poll. I would prefer an adjusted budget, but will happily accept anything.

Apologies for my unexpected absence from this thread - personal matters took me away for a bit, but it's all settled down now. I know folks are starting to put together next year's team and want some certainty on that front.

I've decided that next year's game will be at the traditional 7500 points. It's true that I don't need to delay any further to do a popularity poll to decide that; I've read the comments over the last month on the thread, and am confident that this is a good route to choose and ultimately although different people have expressed different preferences, it feels like positions aren't so entrenched that there would be any massive displeasure with whatever was decided. Thanks for that.

And thanks for the work to the people who number crunched various options, this is definitely a unique situation so I'm glad we explored various avenues. I definitely took into consideration that the original game founder and a number of long-time participants voiced support for 7500, so thank you to those who weighed out their thoughts and reasoning.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am for the possibilities of that budget. I think with scores generally depressed this year, it will provide some vary interesting options, and with 33 riders on a team there are a multitude of combinations of very good riders that teams can pick. I'm hoping for a lot of variety next year. And the pandemic-restricted season has another interesting knock-on effect in that it didn't give us as much of a look at developing young talents as usual, so that could lead to more variety in evaluating young talents. All in all, we could be in for some record scores.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words around the completion of the game! I am glad so many are still enjoying this game as much as I am.

The game thread for next year will go up at the same time it usually does, by mid-December. But the deadline for submitting teams won't be until just before there is a meaningful race in 2021. It looks like that might be the Vuelta San Juan, which is slated to go slightly before the Mallorca races and Aussie nationals. But a clear decision on a deadline will be posted when the thread goes up.

There is also a 1 day race in Valencia that takes place before Mallorca and is apparently getting a LOT of attention and from what I read at 16 of the WT teams have expressed interest in going to it this year. This is a race that typically has Movistar plus maybe 1 or 2 other WT teams looking for an early race with mostly Continental teams and a few Pro Conti teams to fill out it's ranks. It's date is Jan 24th, which puts it the weekend before Mallorca. Spanish article but gives the important info of date and WT teams wanting in:

There is also a 1 day race in Valencia that takes place before Mallorca and is apparently getting a LOT of attention and from what I read at 16 of the WT teams have expressed interest in going to it this year. This is a race that typically has Movistar plus maybe 1 or 2 other WT teams looking for an early race with mostly Continental teams and a few Pro Conti teams to fill out it's ranks. It's date is Jan 24th, which puts it the weekend before Mallorca. Spanish article but gives the important info of date and WT teams wanting in:
I thought this was a new race?

I'm a little late, but I didn't want to say goodbye to the season without thanking Skidmark for his work. I don't usually write much on the forum, but I also want to say that I agree on the 7,500 points for next season. I will participate again and my goal will be the top10. Until January.

Reactions: shalgo and Koronin
I didn't know about it before either. I think maybe no one has paid it much attention for awhile?

Judging by the 2005 last edition and the list of winners in that Marca article, it is a revival of the Trofeo Luis Puig (and previously known as Grand Prix de Valence, but that French name might have been applied by PCS's source: Marca's 'Gran Premio Valencia' seems more plausible)

I guess the race that is used recently by Movistar and other as a pre-Majorca warm up must have been something else.

However, it is listed as a 1.2 event, so those 16 WT teams may need to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Judging by the 2005 last edition and the list of winners in that Marca article, it is a revival of the Trofeo Luis Puig (and previously known as Grand Prix de Valence, but that French name might have been applied by PCS's source: Marca's 'Gran Premio Valencia' seems more plausible)

I guess the race that is used recently by Movistar and other as a pre-Majorca warm up must have been something else.

However, it is listed as a 1.2 event, so those 16 WT teams may need to look elsewhere.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

I suspected most of those 16 WT teams won't get invites. Movistar will get one and maybe 1 or 2 others. Those will likely be given on track record of coming to smaller Spanish races in normal years.

TRENDING THREADS