• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There's some pretty strong teams been posted already fro Provence. After a great start to the season, I'm a little less confident about this one, despite having the numbers

Wellens
De Plus
Bernal
Moscon
Trentin
Calmejane
Ciccone
Vansevant

Am most interested to see how Ciccone goes. One of my rarer picks (8) and could be quite a differentiator. Am also hoping my, mostly, illogical decision to choose Moscon over Sosa, doesn't slap me around the face at the first opportunity.

I have a nice team for Provence. The Ineos BERNAL-SOSA-DE PLUS-MOSCON quartet has enough strength to take the race wherever it interests them. From tomorrow we will see it:
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
FROM PLUS Laurens
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Ion
MOLLEMA Bauke
SOSA CUERVO Iván Ramiro
VANSEVENANT Mauri
WALLS Matthew
BOUDAT Thomas
MOSCON Gianni
TRENTIN Matteo

It looks like your defending champ is now the defending chump. Bad start and this week doesn't look too promising, unless I get a bit lucky.
Provence:
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
ALEOTTI Giovanni
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
CICCONE Giulio
LUTSENKO Alexey
SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro

Could get lucky here if Ciccone and Sosa decide to show themselves in this early race. Alaphilippe and Lutsenko for certain, at least on stage 2. And my first chance to see Aleotti against a good field.

Almeria:
MEEUS Jordi
ROMO Javier

Not a chance.

Provence, lucky? You have got five top10 candidates! Bernal, Lutsenko, Sosa, Ciccone and Ala should all be up there barring any problems on stage 1. I've got the first four, so I know I'm rooting for them. Guess most of us have a lot of the guys amongst the top favorites.

The team works like a charm. We have just started the season and we already have these points:
BOUDAT ... 48
SOSA ... 33
TRENTIN ... 24
BERNAL ... 15
ALAPHILIPPE ... 10
BARBIER P. ... 10
WALLS ... 3
Which adds up to a total of 143 points. If we continue like this, this year we will be on the podium :cool:.

Looking at todays results, I couldn't for the life of me remember who I had picked. Checking my spreadsheet, I came to realise I never went beyond compiling a long-list of 90+ riders some time around late december and completely forgot about this game until now.
I'll be back next year!

Reactions: Jakob747
Looking at todays results, I couldn't for the life of me remember who I had picked. Checking my spreadsheet, I came to realise I never went beyond compiling a long-list of 90+ riders some time around late december and completely forgot about this game until now.
I'll be back next year!

It's been a weird year. Schedules are thrown off for everything, I can't remember what day of the week or month it is quite often. Look forward to having you back next year!

I had hoped for points from Cortina today, but he had some issues.
Well at least some points from Provence. Nice start to the season for Matteo Jorgenson and Jesus Herrada. Plus a handful of points for a few other riders. Not great, but not horrible. However what happened to Enric Mas? I had expected something much more from him instead of losing 12 minutes yesterday and even more time today.

Points wise I think this wasn't a bad week for me with Alaphilippe and a little bit from Vansevenant, Dupont and Sarreau (as well as Bernal and Sosa whom everyone has), but I can't help but being a bit disapppointed anyway, especially of Lutsenko who I expected to compete for a top 5. Hodeg crashing in Almeria didn't help either. But oh well, you can't go through a whole seasons without crashes and disapppointments.

Am most interested to see how Ciccone goes. One of my rarer picks (8) and could be quite a differentiator. Am also hoping my, mostly, illogical decision to choose Moscon over Sosa, doesn't slap me around the face at the first opportunity.

FFS

Very much a bittersweet race for me. If only Ciccone hadn't missed the split in the first stage, he'd be comfortably top 5. And Wellens dropped out due to a cold. But Vansevant looked handy and could score very well this season, depending on how DQS use him. Moreover, one my rarest picks, Florian Vermeersch, showed very well. Am hoping Lotto let him loose on some of the smaller Belgian races, and looking forward to seeing him in the classics.

Dupont gets another haul from Almeria. He might be heading for one of his mega-seasons at this rate

Points wise I think this wasn't a bad week for me with Alaphilippe and a little bit from Vansevenant, Dupont and Sarreau (as well as Bernal and Sosa whom everyone has), but I can't help but being a bit disapppointed anyway, especially of Lutsenko who I expected to compete for a top 5. Hodeg crashing in Almeria didn't help either. But oh well, you can't go through a whole seasons without crashes and disapppointments.
I konw, but...Hodeg crashed. My unique pick Gebre didn't finish Almeria, so maybe crashed as well. Michael Valgren broke his finger(s). Lutsenko disappointed big time. And Sosa...Well, as for Sosa, I just forgot about the guy. I had him two years ago I think, but that doesn't really help me now.

I feel like half of my team will be in UAE... it kind of is, so far:
Buchmann, Gaviria, Hirschi, Lutsenko, Higuita, Gallopin, Froome, Vingegaard, Kuss.

And for Alpes Maritime: Mollema, Brenner, Thomas, Pidcock, Sivakov, Tejada, Latour.

My god, sounds crazy. Impossible to not get many points, but that must apply to all of us.
I'm certainly not expecting any points from Brenner, but I'm excited that he starts.

Disappointed with Gaviria and Lutsenko in particular. But, if he can stay injury-free, Alaphilippe should have a massive season. And my God he's fun to have on your team. Never a dull moment. Pleased that I didn't leave Sosa out but disappointed that I didn't stick with Ciccone this year.

I have some exceptional talent lined up for Haute Var and UAE. Should be entertaining.

Var: Elissonde, Gesbert, Touze?, Pidcock, Ardila, Brenner, Dombrowski

UAE: Froome, Gaviria, Formolo, Lutsenko, Sosa, Donovan (so far).

Last edited:
Update #3: Hugo Boss

We have been building up in our limited French calendar so far, going from a 1.1 the first week of the game to a 2.1 and nationals the second week, to a 2.PS and 1.PS this week. And indeed, with Provence and Almeria taking place this week, we see our biggest points week in the game so far!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Jon_Ezeitza586
2Hugo Koblet561
3Crevaison559
4Northerner547
5karaev536

Having the podium of the stage race of the week is a fine basis for winning the week; indeed, Jon Ezeitza takes it with Sosa (183 points, 42 teams), Alaphilippe (120, 27), and Bernal (107, pretty much everyone) forming a good start. Add in 62 from Mollema and 50 from Vansevenant (at a cost of 15!) and you've got a winner! A few minor points from Almeria put it over the top. Hugo Koblet gets second this week, but won't be crying too much as he was already in first overall coming in. Crevaison gets third - both of the other podium finishers didn't have Mollema but did have 52 from Dupont in Almeria, and had a little bit less than Jon Ezeitza from the minor points.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1karaev(+56)
2ChrisDK(+53)
3bminchow(+48)
4Earns1985(+46)
5MuddyWaters(+42)

Some huge leaps this week as the table isn't yet settled so there is room to move! karaev takes top spot this week, with ChrisDK and defending champ bminchow right behind. All 3 teams also have the Provence podium, without a key rider or two of the three top scorers from the previous list, but all the top scoring teams this week are very similar.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Hugo Koblet106.67
2Boris9862.67
3Jon_Ezeitza62
4LaFlorecita55
5Crevaison51

Wow, three weeks in and you can barely get in the top 10 with the 45 points you'd get for a weekly win! There are a few teams that are faring quite well in the French races at the start of the season and scoring week upon week. Hugo's 35 points puts their team ahead with a huge lead, almost no one else is even within 45 points. Boris98 and Jon Ezeitza are buzzing around the top here too.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)995
2(+1)LaFlorecita891
3(+7)Northerner887
4(+8)Object840
5(-)Hakkie2817
6(-)rote_laterne804
7(+14)Crevaison778
8(-)manafana767
9(+34)Jon_Ezeitza740
10(-8)Boris98707

Some long-time game participants near the top of the list here, and at the top of the list once again is Hugo Koblet, coming oh so close to cracking 1000 points. Second on the week extends his lead to over 100 points, while LaFlorecita moves up one spot and Northerner rounds out the podium. Some big leaps into the top 10 from Object, Crevaison, and especially Jon Ezeitza, while Gigs_98, Armchair Cyclist and postmanhat fall out.

Normally, this upcoming week would be a flurry of early season activity, continuing the ramp-up to Opening Weekend with Algarve, Andalucia, and the oft-overlooked snack of Haut Var in France, three days long and .1 level. But now, with the former two postponed, Haut Var gets its outsized time in the sun! Since the season has actually started, things seem to have stabilized a bit, in terms of covid numbers holding or declining, and no whispers of any new races being postponed or cancelled. So... fingers crossed, but after this week, we get our first WT action with the UAE Tour (with even some CQ points this week), and that will take us all the way to Belgium!

Spreadsheet at dropbox

FFS

Very much a bittersweet race for me. If only Ciccone hadn't missed the split in the first stage, he'd be comfortably top 5. And Wellens dropped out due to a cold. But Vansevant looked handy and could score very well this season, depending on how DQS use him. Moreover, one my rarest picks, Florian Vermeersch, showed very well. Am hoping Lotto let him loose on some of the smaller Belgian races, and looking forward to seeing him in the classics.

Dupont gets another haul from Almeria. He might be heading for one of his mega-seasons at this rate

I don't think "missing the split" is an accurate description of what happened there. He was on his hands and knees after that crazy attack with Moscon and Alaphilippe.

TRENDING THREADS