• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On a week with both Paris-Nice and Tirreno Adriatico, the top spot came down to Mick Van Dijke finishing 6th in the Ronde van Drenthe, that's why I love this game. You never know what tp expect.

I don't seem to have too many guys racing this week so I'll probably start sliding down the rankings but it was a good run.

One spot shy of showing up on the update, both for the weekly and overall scores. Still, that's a good spot to be in with the hardest part of the season coming up for my no-Flandrien team, should soften the blow. And if Pidcock continues to fail to score, maybe there won't much of a blow at all...

That was a fun week with a lot of points. My Italian race based team came through quite well, although i was hoping for a little more from Lopez.
Landa
Hindley
Arensman
Ciccone
Lopez
But still great preparation for the Giro where I will also add Carthy, Kamna, Foss, Dumoulin, Pidcock, Ewan, Bagioli and only lose Arensman. I'm really looking forward to May!

The upwards trajectory continues with eleven places up in the last update, sitting at 24th overall atm.

This week it is all about some one-day races. Starting tomorrow with Milano - Torino and Danilith Nokere Koerse.

Then there is Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut, Bredene Koksijde Classic,
Classic Loire Atlantique and Cholet - Pays de la Loire.

I have a couple of riders in these races, except for the last two French ones this weekend it looks like judging by the provisional startlists. Not expecting a lot from this group of races midweek and towards the weekend. Any points are welcome but expectations are low. The highlight of the week will of course be MSR.

Line up for MSR
Thomas Pidcock
Andreas Leknessund
Søren Kragh Andersen
Florian Vermeersch
Bob Jungels
Oliver Naesen
Gianni Moscon
Max Kanter (added)
Fabio Jakobsen (added)
Alberto Bettiol (added)

Maybe someone more will be added but I am not feeling that confident about this, could be underwhelming. Might be a quiet week and all about damage control. Hoping Pidcock can start showing something and have a good race, but he is also a very popular pick. I rather someone like Naesen could score big here. He was second in 2019 and seems in better form than the past couple of seasons. It makes me hopeful for the classics that he was 4th in Omloop.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon... Naesen wont be riding.

Last edited:
Milano-Torino
Tobias Bayer
Biniam Girmay

Nokere and Koksijde
Mauro Schmid
Ethan Vernon
Jonas Hvideberg

Alentejo (yes, really)
Pelayo Sanchez
Iuri Leitao

Denain
David Dekker
Daniel Martinez

Sanremo (so far)
Bob Jungels
Caleb Ewan
Sam Bennett
Biniam Girmay

Annoyingly all my more expensive sprinters are skipping the easy sprints (bar Girmay who will likely be working for Kristoff), doubly annoying that Jakobsen was on the startlist in Koksijde as recently as yesterday. This was supposed to be a week to at least maintain my position, that will be difficult now.

Tirreno looked great with a few days left, then Superman, Fuglsang and Tao all went backwards.
Anyway. Time to move up again, beginning with Milano - Torino: Bettiol, Girmay, Groves, Kanter, Jungels, Tesfatsion
Nokere - Koerse: Finn Fisher-Blackand no-one else. Why isn't Jumbo riding with Miick van Dijke? Oh, he riders Denain tomorrow with Jason Tesson.
Milano San Remo: Caleb Ewan, Jungels and Girmay

Milano-Torino
Tobias Bayer
Biniam Girmay

Nokere and Koksijde
Mauro Schmid
Ethan Vernon
Jonas Hvideberg

Alentejo (yes, really)
Pelayo Sanchez
Iuri Leitao

Denain
David Dekker
Daniel Martinez

Sanremo (so far)
Bob Jungels
Caleb Ewan
Sam Bennett
Biniam Girmay

Annoyingly all my more expensive sprinters are skipping the easy sprints (bar Girmay who will likely be working for Kristoff), doubly annoying that Jakobsen was on the startlist in Koksijde as recently as yesterday. This was supposed to be a week to at least maintain my position, that will be difficult now.
Don't panic on Jacobsen. He will be at MSR now. Who knows? maybe it could still come down to a sprint.
My rosters:

Milano-Torino
ARENSMAN Thymen
BRENNER Marco
CARTHY Hugh
GROVES Kaden
JUNGELS Bob
MODOLO Sacha
STRONG Corbin

Expecting a sprint but nothing from Sacha (wasted pick). Maybe Groves or Strong? Nice to have lot of guys in it though.

Nokere and Koksijde
Bo Diddly and Corbin Strong

Alentejo (yes, really)
Bo Diddly

Denain
David Dekker (wasted pick?)

Sanremo (so far)
ANDERSEN Søren Kragh
JAKOBSEN Fabio
Bob Jungels
Caleb Ewan
PIDCOCK Thomas

Nice two guys if it is a sprint, and good options in Soren and Pidcock to keep up with the long break. I am hopeful.

Update #9: Eyeballs on the top spot

The season is really on now. This week saw two WT stage races of the highest level in Paris-Nice and Tirenno-Adriatico, with the two Slovenians dominating affairs as expected. With no one having Roglic and only 3 teams with Pogacar, the top points were unavailable to most CQ game teams, but nevertheless the two high-point races shook things up quite a bit this week.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Squire907
2MADRAZO905
3Object894
4search860
5Eyeballs Out857

It's a very tight race at the top this week, but Squire ekes out the victory with over 900 points. This is due to a few standout riders, most notably Dani Martinez (192 points, 33 teams), a resurgent Mikel Landa (183 points, 20 teams), and Jai Hindley (123 points, 64 teams). Add in 92 from Pinot and 62 from Kooij and a smattering of others and you've got just enough to edge out MADRAZO, who holds down second place this week with the exact same named riders but not quite enough support further down. Last year's champ Object shows up in third, just a few points behind with the same top 3 but also Thymen Arensman (110 points, 13 teams) and a disappointing Remco Evenepoel (75 points, 35 teams).

Green Jersey Competition

Eyeballs Out closes the gap to ray10, netting 22 points for 5th on the week. repre scores 6 points on the week to vault into the top 5; otherwise, that's all the scoring from the top 5 this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+3)
2(+1)EvansIsTheBest3092
3(+3)Squire3068
4(-2)Nyssinator3044
5(+2)MADRAZO3040
6(+4)search2964
7(+1)repre2889
8(-3)laarsland2852
9(+11)comodoro2812
10(+6)Earns19852802

With a great week and a great season so far, Eyeballs Out gains the top spot this week, breaking the 3000 point barrier. EvansIsTheBest comes oh so close to returning to the top, and is only 11 points behind in second, while this week's winner Squire moves onto the podium only a few dozen points behind. Things are very tight at the top and it's still early in the season, but these teams have set themselves up well for the long haul. Comodoro and Earns1985 jump into the top 10, while ray10 falls all the way from first to out of the top 10, and Rakim drops out as well.

This week is a little less full on than the simultaneous stage races, but there's plenty of one-day racing to go around, starting on Wednesday with Nokere Koerse and Milan-Torino, then GP Denain on Thursday, Koksijde Classic Friday, and the first Monument of the season in Milan-San Remo on Saturday.

spreadsheet at dropbox
So first time, that I see myself in this overall table. Good feeling.. :)

Don´t have a lot of riders for the flandern classics. So we will see how it looks in a month.

A lot of my riders perform good and seem to be in decent shape this spring. My worries are Bennett, Aleotti, Simon Carr and Dumoulin. Because Dumoulin is quite popular in this game, it doens´t matter that much. But for Aleotti I expected more this spring. Hopefully in the Coppi e Bartali he will gain his first points for this season. But his form doesn´t seem to be good at the moment. Same accures for Bennett. Right now he has been my biggest mistake, but let´s see if he gets better from now on.. Also Simon Carr doesn´t seem to be in a good shape. I only see him riding at the end of the peloton. Don´t know, what's up with him.. For me he has been a promising rider for this year. I remember him dropping every domestique and even a few GC riders while leading the GC group at the Passo Giau at last years giro.

MSR team:

Luca Covili
Elia Viviani
Arnaud Demare
Soren Kragh Andersen
Abner Gonzalez
Alexander Aranburu
Inigo Elosegui

Well with this team, I think I'm hoping for a sprint. At least in that case I have a couple of guys who can get points.

You have Søren Kragh, one of the prime favourites for the race. Not that much reason for belittling the team you have there...

Also, you could just refrain from picking riders who never get points like Covili and Elosegui if you want to see your team doing well in the races...

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
6th from bottom now. My team is so bad it's almost become entertaining. Of course, I have Ewan. For anyone else with these riders for San Remo tomorrow, prepare for disappointment.

Pidcock
Moscon
F.Vermeersch
Rosa
Modolo
Jungels
Andersen
Bettiol

Andersen was a nice bonus at MSR, but everyone else, particularly Pidcock, were effectively non-particpants. OTOH, Askey starts to get the sort of results I picked him for with a 2nd at Atlantique, and could get another result tomorrow. And Hirschi is back tomorrow for those of us unwise enough to select him.