• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a beauty of a week. Girmay breaking through for good, Tulett, Ayuso, Johannessen and Hindley scoring a bunch of GC points, Kooij more than chipping in in De Panne, a triptych of QS stage wins from Vernon, Bagioli and Schmid. Who needs performing expensive GC riders when the kids are this good?

Really didn't have much going this week. Uijtdebroeks and Koretzky into profit, but it's rather less impressive when you only need to surpass 0 points. 7 down, 26 to go.

Catalunya
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
BAGIOLI Andrea
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
DUMOULIN Tom
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
VAN WILDER Ilan
HINDLEY Jai
GROVES Kaden
TOUMIRE Hugo
BRENNER Marco
I need a bunch of points from this race as the rest of my team is pretty much taking the week off. Even Vermeersch isn't on the startlist of E3 (but he's listed as riding Gent Wevelgem the next day WTF?).
So exatcly as planned Girmay gets 300+ points this week ;)
~100 from Tulett.
~70 from Kooij.

From Catalunya:
Higuita ~320
Ayuso ~130
Groves ~80
Bagioli ~40
Hindley ~40
Rodriguez ~30
Skjelmose ~30

If my math is right that should be a 1100 points week.

Points from Kanter and Kooij earlier in the week.

Tiberi was 5th in Coppi e Bartali and followed up with 8th in GP Industria. Good results from him! He is still under development. Edet also got some points in GP Industria.

Catalunya ended up being a good race with Higuita, Ayuso, Hindley and Ciccone scoring points.

E3... was not a very good race for me. Dont think I got more than a couple of 5-pointers.

GW was okay with Kragh getting 5th. Veermersch got some points. A couple of 5-pointers.

Decent enough week to maybe hold on to my position in the game, I hope, but probably not enough to move up any significant places or being in the top 10 for the week.

Pidcock not getting much out of the classics so far. Naesen 4th in Omloop looking like a flash in the pan. Moscon not getting much from these races, but they probably doesnt suit him the best either. Still a tiny bit better than what he had scored at this moment last year. Bettiol missing a bunch of races after looking good early in the season. I hope Fuglsang will score a few points in the Ardennes.

Last edited:
Had a handful of GC prospects in Catalunya, and then the two Eritrean younsters Girmay and Tesfatsion saves my week with some 400 points combined between them. And Groves ended up being the highest scorer in Catalunya. My thoughts that it was 'too early' for Auyso were so extremely wrong...

Damn, I remember in the beginning of january I had to select two out of Higuita, Martinez and Aleotti. And I selected Martinez and... Aleotti. For now, my biggest mistake. Otherwise I would be in one of the first ranks I think.

Nice to see that Carr seems to be back in form. Also Tiberi with nice results this week. A bit sad, that Rodriguez and Hindley had to suffer their good GC positions in Catalunya for their leaders. Ayuso pretty good, Skjelmose and Ciccone a bit worse then expected. Kooij also with a few nice points..

Girmay of course my best man this week!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Happy to see my name on top for last weeks update :)

Quite pleased with this week as well: Higuita, Ayuso, Vernon, Tullett, Kooij, Girmay. Hirschi finally back after his medical issues. Tullett gives me some hope for my other zero-pointers.

Update #11: Leadbelly is not singing the blues

A classic spring week has come and gone, and some teams struck it really big, with 'rare-but-popular-enough-to-be-a-difference-maker' riders like Higuita and Girmay scoring big, and a flurry of decent-point races both of the one-day and stage-race variety. Spoiler alert for the very next section of this update - 11 teams broke the 1000 point barrier for the week!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Leadbelly1254
2EvansIsTheBest1238
3Lortnoc1228
4kabete1186
5triley361123

In fact, the best teams this week broke 1200 points! Leadbelly scores a narrow victory, thanks primarily to the two riders I name-dropped in the intro: Biniam Girmay's first ever two days on the cobbles netted 316 points on the week for his 17 team owners, and Sergio Higuita's consistency combined with audacity got 327 points for his 30 owners. As well, Leadbelly got an even 200 points from Joao Almeida, a rider picked by only two teams, and then 139 from the highly regarded Juan Ayuso, who was picked by considerably more teams (57 to be exact). EvansIsTheBest, a familiar name in these updates so far this year, has another incredible week, just behind at 1238 points. EITB of course had the big two of Higuita and Girmay, as well as Ayuso, but in place of Almeida their team contained Ben Tulett (105 points, 22 teams) and Kaden Groves (93 points, 13 teams). Lortnoc ends up in third with the same marquee combo as EITB, swapping out Groves for Marc Hirschi (99 points, 33 teams).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1ray10147
2EvansIsTheBest111
3Eyeballs Out108
4Lortnoc105
5Jakob74796

The rich got richer this week, as 4 of the top 5 in this ranking scored points this week (meaning they were in the top 15 on the week; and of course being high on this list means you've had some good weeks). EvansIsTheBest scores 35 points for 2nd on the week, but ray10 was well ahead after the last few weeks and scored 10 points this week to boot. Lortnoc and Jakob747 scored 30 and 20 this week respectively (and kabete in 6th place overall was also in the top 5 of the week).

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+5)4478
2(+2)ray104324
3(-)Squire4272
4(+1)search4107
5(+6)Nakazar4073
6(+18)Lortnoc4056
7(+1)Nyssinator4042
8(+13)triley363982
9(-7)MADRAZO3973
10(+22)kabete3945

Well, when the top 10 teams overall have about 4000 points and a bunch of teams scored over 1000 points this week, things are gonna shake up. Last week's leader Eyeballs Out, while scoring a decent-sounding 425 points on the week, gets overtaken by the supercharged scorers this week and falls all the way to 14th overall. Everything else gets shaken up in the top 10 save for the remarkably consistent Squire in third; EITB takes back the top spot, ray10 comes back to the podium, and the top 3 are quite a bit ahead of the rest. Nakazar, Lortnoc, triley36 and kabete leap into the top 10, while on top of the aforementioned Eyeballs Out, laarsland, tobydawq and repre slide outta the top 10.

This week is a bit less action packed in terms of volume of races, but of course it makes up for that with high profile racing in the Ronde on Sunday. Dwars Door Vlaanderen is a mid-week appetizer, while 1-day races in France and Spain on the weekend act as counter-programming. Unlikely we get scores as high as this week without a stage race, but it should be fun!

spreadsheet at dropbox

3 places up and 21st overall right now. Happy with that, when there are a few riders that are going well and a few that are not.

Some races this week!

Dwars door Vlaanderen
Thomas Pidcock
Fabio Jakobsen
Oliver Naesen
Bob Jungels
Olav Kooij
Florian Veermersch
Gianni Moscon
Alberto Bettiol
Max Kanter
Campbell Stewart
Søren Kragh Andersen

Good team on paper. Riders for both a sprint or if it is a harder race. The question is the form on most of these riders though. Not had much luck in the classics so far.

Gran Premio Miguel Indurain
Emanuel Buchmann
Sergio Higuita
Lennard Kämna
Carl Fredrik Hagen
Gregor Mühlberger

Higuita is in great form and could be a good race for Kämna here too. Anything from the others would be a bonus.

Ronde
Florian Vermeersch
Oliver Naesen
Bob Jungels
Alberto Bettiol
Jakob Fuglsang
Thomas Pidcock
Campbell Stewart
Gianni Moscon
Max Kanter

Plenty of riders, but dont know if there will be anyone racing the finale based on what they have showed before going into this week. I will take what I can get.

Hey CQers, I'm just wondering if anyone would like to take over the updates for either of the months of May or June?

Pre-2020 I always had guests fill in for those months as I work in the bush with minimal internet; then in 2020 there were no updates in those months and in 2021 I was a bit closer to civilization and could manage it. But this year I expect restricted internet, so it'd be helpful if I could get someone to take over the updates. Let me know and I can DM the instructions on how to do so, thanks!

Gran Premio Miguel Indurain
Emanuel Buchmann
HIRSCHI Marc
Lennard Kämna
Carl Fredrik Hagen
STRONG Corbin

Maybe UAE rides for Hirschi? Coul dbe a good race for kamna too.

Volta Limburg
BRENNER Marco
DEKKER David
DUMOULIN Tom
VANDENABEELE Henri
Hoping for one of the young guys to get me some cheap points. TD? not so sure.

Ronde
Bob Jungels
Thomas Pidcock
I am NOT built for the cobbles, apparently. SKA dropping out doesn't help. Maybe Pidcock can do it if MvDP isn't ready for the distance. I might be watching for my Spring Classics team on sunday.

Not the greatest stretch for my team, as many riders have gotten sick (like most of the peloton I suppose), and several have simply underperformed. Plus I ended up not picking too many classics riders I suppose - my Ronde team is a perfect example of this:

Oliver Naesen
Alberto Bettiol
Tom Pidcock

Three guys who looked great in February, got sick, and now look terrible. Maybe it'll all come together, but more often than not it doesn't.

GP Mig I have Kamna (who's been good but is the most popular pick) and CF Hagen (who has not been good and is not a one-day racer regardless). Limburg I have Dumoulin and no one else. Hmmm maybe I better look forwards....

Itzulia

Remco Evenepoel
Lennard Kamna
Carl Fredrik Hagen

My god, where is my team? Sarthe I have Pinot on the provisional list and that's it. Yeesh, wake me up when the Ardennes start I guess?

Quinten Hermans picked up a handful of points today at least. Hopefully more to come in Itzulia. For the weekend, I don't expect much - if at all, then in GP Indurain

GP Indurain
BUCHMANN Amanuel
KÄMNA Lennard
MAS NICOLAU Enric
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka
MÜHLBERGER Gregor
MARTIN ROMERO David

edit: missed Higuita. That looks better then

Volta Limburg Classic
TIZZA Marco

Ronde van Vlaanderen
BETTIOL Alberto
KANTER Max

Last edited:
Not the greatest stretch for my team, as many riders have gotten sick (like most of the peloton I suppose), and several have simply underperformed. Plus I ended up not picking too many classics riders I suppose - my Ronde team is a perfect example of this:

Oliver Naesen
Alberto Bettiol
Tom Pidcock

Three guys who looked great in February, got sick, and now look terrible. Maybe it'll all come together, but more often than not it doesn't.

I think it's a stretch to say that Pidcock looked terrible in Dwars...

Wasnt that many points last week, but it was good to see Pidcock improving at least. Hopefully he will be even better in the Ardennes.

Some races this week.

Basque Country
Milan Vader
Gregor Mühlberger
Dani Martinez
Emanuel Buchmann
Sergio Higuita
Lennard Kämna
Andreas Leknessund

Martinez and Higuita are probably the best chances for some points here. Hoping a bit that Leknessund could have good race and maybe get a decent GC-result.

Circuit Cycliste Sarthe - Pays de la Loire
Thibaut Pinot
Olav Kooij
Oliver Naesen

Dont know much about this race but looks like a pretty flat route. Perhaps Kooij could win a stage.

Scheldeprijs
Fabio Jakobsen
Gerben Thijssen
Campbell Stewart

Amstel
Tom Dumoulin
Thomas Pidcock
Alberto Bettiol
Søren Kragh Andersen
Max Kanter
Gianni Moscon
Bob Jungels
Amund Grøndahl Jansen

Only a provisional startlist, but maybe Pidcock and Kragh Andersen are probably the ones that could score some points. Others seems out of form.

Wasnt that many points last week, but it was good to see Pidcock improving at least. Hopefully he will be even better in the Ardennes.

Some races this week.

Basque Country
Milan Vader
Gregor Mühlberger
Dani Martinez
Emanuel Buchmann
Sergio Higuita
Lennard Kämna
Andreas Leknessund

Martinez and Higuita are probably the best chances for some points here. Hoping a bit that Leknessund could have good race and maybe get a decent GC-result.

Circuit Cycliste Sarthe - Pays de la Loire
Thibaut Pinot
Olav Kooij
Oliver Naesen

Dont know much about this race but looks like a pretty flat route. Perhaps Kooij could win a stage.

Scheldeprijs
Fabio Jakobsen
Gerben Thijssen
Campbell Stewart

Amstel
Tom Dumoulin
Thomas Pidcock
Alberto Bettiol
Søren Kragh Andersen
Max Kanter
Gianni Moscon
Bob Jungels
Amund Grøndahl Jansen

Only a provisional startlist, but maybe Pidcock and Kragh Andersen are probably the ones that could score some points. Others seems out of form.
Moscon has said his classic campaign is over since he can't find his shape.

• Sad
Reactions: Salvarani