• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, here it goes!

Thomas Pidcock, 708 points
He had a very good first season and all of us who picked him are kind of dependent on him to have a very good spring to be a good pick but that is a risk worth taking, I think. He has the potential to be one of the best riders in the world when it comes to the classics and other one-day races.

Picked by 58 teams in total, a little bit more than I would have expected.

Fabio Jakobsen, 635 points
There were some sprinters this year that could have been viable to pick but I think this is the best one, or will be. He is on a great team and probably has the best support compared to many others. Made good results and just got better in his comeback to racing last season. In a full season he could score more points.

Picked by 38 teams in total, so he is a bit in the medium-range and slightly below half out of all the team.

Gianni Moscon, 569 points
He is coming off a good season. A lot better than what the past few years have been, mainly because he managed to stay out of trouble. He was always a good rider and he was unfortunate to not hold on in PR last year. He will be a leader for Astana in the classics and he has the potential to score many points in those races. Last season he didn't ride them for Ineos. He could be a shrewd pick, but at the same time a bit controversial and bold. The ceiling could be high though, if he performs.

Picked by 11 teams in total, and he could be a decisive factor in this game if he has a very good season.

Miguel Angel Lopez, 563 points
He is back at Astana again and he is perhaps the best climber in the world on his day when he is in form and we get really high up in the mountains. He can be a bit inconsistent though. Crashes and injuries have troubled him in the past. Not to mention his temper that has put him in some predicaments a few times. Looking at last season his first race was in April and he didn't finish either of the GTs he rode. There is room for improvement in many aspects.

Picked by 51 teams in total, and perhaps an obvious one.

Jakob Fuglsang, 447 points
He had a pretty rough year and wasn't at the same level he has shown in the three seasons prior to the last one. He struggled with some side-effects from the vaccine shots for covid that took him down and an injury ended his season prematurely. He is not the youngest but it is only in recent years that he has really been at his best and he might still have one or two seasons left at a high level.

Picked by 15 teams in total, and maybe disregarded because of his age by a lot of people. Perhaps he is not an “exciting” pick. Well, I´ll be excited when/if he starts scoring many points.

Sergio Higuita, 404 points
He was solid and scored points throughout last year without, perhaps, having any standout performances and therefore not scoring as many points as he has the potential to do. He is a rider that can score points in both one-day races, stage-races and he's got a fast finish from a reduced group. He will be racing with Bora for the next three seasons after leaving EF.

Picked by 28 teams in total, so slightly less than 1/3 out of all the teams. He could be an important rider to have.

Giulio Ciccone, 343 points
Last season he showed he could be a good GC-rider in the future. He rode very well in the Giro and Vuelta, but did not finish those races in the end. He has got a bit of potential in that regard points-wise and with Nibali gone he is probably Trek - Segafredos best chance for a good GC-result in any of the GTs. He is also a decent rider for some one-day races where he could pick up points.

Picked by 33 teams in total, so slightly above 1/3 without knowing for sure how many teams there are in the game. He could also turn out to be important to have in your team.

Oliver Naesen, 324 points
Didn't have the best couple of seasons in either 2020 or 2021 and said that he might have been over-trained last year. In the seasons prior he has been a solid performer and a very good classics rider. Had him on my team last year and he gets a second chance.

Picked by 14 teams in total, so I feel like a lot of people might have overlooked him this year. He could become a valuable pick for those who have him.

Dani Martinez, 311 points
He had a pretty rough year except his 5th place overall in the Giro after assisting Bernal to victory. He got covid after that and hardly raced again last season. Only San Sebastian and Burgos in which he both didn't finish. He hopefully has a good chance at scoring more points this year, if everything is well with him.

Picked by 32 teams in total, and could be well-worth it.

Florian Vermeersch, 311 points
He had some crashes and bad luck in the spring last season, but nobody missed his 2nd place in PR at the end of it. Is he a future star in the classics? I think the answer is still “he could be” as of now but for the price he is available for, it may be worth finding out this season. The reward could be great, if he continues to perform.

Picked by 22 teams in total. I might have thought he would be picked by more people since his performance came late in the season and would be on people's minds, but there were tough choices to make in his point range.

Tom Dumoulin, 307 points
He was very good in the races he took part in. Only 19 race days after his season came to an end with an injury in training, which was really unfortunate. He should be an obvious pick, if everything is well with him physically and mentally.

Picked by 66 teams in total, and an obvious one.

Alberto Bettiol, 257 points
Health issues ended his season last year. Hopefully that is sorted now and he can start his season early and be in good form in time for the classics. He could score more points, if he were to have a season with not many problems.

Picked by 34 teams in total, could turn out to be an important rider to have.

Olav Kooij, 249 points
Young sprinter riding for Jumbo-Visma. He ended last season finishing 3rd in the WC U23 RR, two stage-wins in Cro race and managed to finish 3rd in Gran Piemonte despite a crash in the race where he got bruised up a bit. He seems like a real talent and could already break through this season.

Picked by 26 teams in total, and I have seen a lot of talk about Mick Van Dijke in the thread after the reveal but isn't this guy next in line? I could be wrong.

Thibaut Pinot, 207 points
It would be such a shame if he never gets back to his former level. I hope that he can come back strong and achieve some great results again.

Picked by 61 teams in total, and an obvious one if his injuries are behind him.

Søren Kragh Andersen, 203 points
He can be very good on his day but has always struggled with consistency. He could have a good chance to score more points, if he has a better season.

Picked by 39 teams in total, and provides a “cheap” option to have as a decent rider in the classics. Luckily I have some others also, because Kragh is a hard one to figure out but could be worth it.

Emanuel Buchmann, 190 points
He was a bit unlucky last year. His season could have been a lot better if he didn't crash in the Giro being 6th overall after the 12th stage, just 45 seconds away from the podium. He then raced the Tour with limited preparation but didn't find his form again in what was left of the season. I think he could bounce back with a good season and with some better luck.

Picked by 49 teams in total, maybe boring but provides great value for an experienced GC-rider who could be top 10 in a GT or more.

Matthew Walls, 185 points
Olympic gold medalist in Tokyo and also got his first two victories on the road last season. He won one stage in the Tour of Norway and he won Gran Piemonte after a chaotic finish, where he beat Nizzolo among others. I'm assuming he will be racing a bit more on the road this year and he could have some breakout potential. One to keep an eye on.

Picked by 15 teams in total, and I am very happy with that.

Andreas Leknessund, 184 points
2021 might have been a transitional year for him. Hopefully, he has progressed over the winter and he is a rider with potential for a breakthrough.

Picked by 15 teams in total, and I'm pretty sure he was picked by more people last year. I didn't pick him then and instead took the opportunity now, while others seem to have overlooked him. A bit of a post-hype pick perhaps in that regard… which can turn out to be a good thing.

Juan Ayoso, 178 points
Huge talent and I did not want to miss out if he had a good first season already, despite being so young. He made it on my team in the end and I probably avoided making a silly mistake. I had already picked him for the emerging rider game.

Picked by 57 teams in total, and maybe he is just that good straight away that many people seem to think.

Jai Hindley, 137 points
He didn't finish many races and had a pretty bad season. 7th overall in the Tour de Polonge was his best result. He will be racing with Bora this year who has changed up their roster quite a bit. He should have a good chance of scoring more points.

Picked by 62 teams in total, and an obvious one.

Ilan Van Wilder, 137 points
Transferred to Quickstep from DSM in the off season after there was no way that he would be staying at DSM. He is a talented rider who could have some breakout potential.

Picked by 63 teams in total, and an obvious one.

Gerben Thijssen, 122 points
Sprinter who took a 5th place in GP de Fourmies / La Voix du Nord against some strong competition and was 3rd in a Belgium race, Omloop van het Houtland Middelkerke-Lichtervelde, at the end of last season after having a pretty quiet year. He will be racing with Intermarché for the next two years after being with Lotto Soudal for a couple of seasons.

Picked by 6 teams in total, so he is rare. Someone to cheer a little bit extra for.

Antonio Tiberi, 111 points
Been regarded as a promising rider and has had his first pro season. He could develop and improve further in his second year. Made it late into my team.

Picked by 15 teams in total, and he hopefully does really well.

Campbell Stewart, 72 points
He has a good track record… and will now be racing more on the road with Bike Exchange. He is an interesting prospect.

Picked by me and me only, woho! A unique pick.

Lennard Kämna, 53 points
Struggled with health problems and has been on a break from racing for the second time in his young career. It happened once at DSM too. A bit worrying, but hopefully he comes back strong and can ride more races this season.

Picked by 72 teams in total, and was probably the first rider on many team sheets.

Max Kanter, 49 points
He is a rider that has struggled for various reasons since becoming a pro, and only shown glimpses here and there of what he can do. He will now be racing with Movistar and I guess anything could happen there, but he will hopefully not lack opportunities and he could be a late bloomer.

Picked by 16 teams in total, and hopefully turns out to be a good pick.

Andrea Piccolo, 49 points
Another talent who hasn't had the best start to his pro career. He had some problems at Astana last season, didn't race anything with them and left. Raced a few races towards the end of the season and was solid in most of them. He will be racing with Gazprom this year and if he performs there, I hope we will be seeing him at a WT-team sooner rather than later again.

Picked by 17 teams in total, and he hopefully has a good season.

Amund Grøndahl Jansen, 46 points
He started alright with 12th in Clasica de Almeria and 15th in K-B-K, but then it was another season of disappointment last year. Surely, it can not go as bad as this again and if he wants a new contract it is time to make some results.

Picked by 12 teams in total, and seems to have been forgotten about or have people just given up completely on him after last year? We´ll see how this year goes.

Gregor Mühlberger, 45 points
Didn't have a great first season at Movistar and should have a good chance at scoring more points, at least.

Picked by 16 teams in total, and I might have expected him on more teams than that but maybe he is a bit “boring”.

Bob Jungels, 42 points
He has struggled with health issues and has undergone surgery to fix his problems. He was a little bit better in Paris - Tours in his final race of last season, that I saw. He was riding in the finale of the race and finished in the second group. Hopefully he can turn his career back on track this year.

Picked by 61 teams in total, and should still be an obvious one.

Nicolas Edet, 38 points
He has been a pretty consistent performer for most of his career averaging around 200-300 points. He had finished 7th on two stages in the Giro when he crashed and was out for the rest of the season, last year. Broke his arm. He will be racing with Arkea for the next two seasons, after spending his whole career as a pro up until now with Cofidis. Not the youngest but hopefully has a good chance at scoring more points.

Picked by 3 teams in total, and might be understandable since he is probably not that exciting to pick but I'll happily take the points if he has a solid season. That's what matters in the end.

Carl Fredrik Hagen, 21 points
Suffered a shoulder injury in training early last year and only came back right at the end of the season. He was good in 2019 where he finished 8th overall in the Vuelta and had other solid results that year. He hopefully has a good chance to bounce back and score more points.

Picked by 26 teams in total, and a few others also found him.

Milan Vader, 0 points
Mountain-bike rider who will be racing on road for Jumbo-Visma. No idea about what he can do, but does not have to do much to turn into profit.

Picked by 13 teams in total, so hopefully he is good!

Everybody is excited about their team before the season begins but I think I picked a good team this year, we'll see how it goes.

All the best to everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakob747
I'm also kinda surprised at so many mangers picking Baroncini. I'm pretty sure he's going to be a stud but Trek isn't known to develop its youngsters quickly and he wasn't cheap.
Baroncini looks like a machine ...oozes class, it seems like. That's why I picked him... nothing scientific, haha. Let's see.

edit: other than his results in the pro races he did - but that;s a given

Last edited:
Baroncini looks like a machine ...oozes class, it seems like. That's why I picked him... nothing scientific, haha. Let's see.

edit: other than his results in the pro races he did - but that;s a given

Rather expensive though. Especially for a first year pro. He woud have to double his score to become a good pick, I think. Thats what I thought at least.

Tricky with first years in the pro peloton. Some could be great and others need a season to get into it.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
So as I posted a few days ago I didn't follow the sport as closely last year as I did in previous years so I am relieved to see that I didn't miss any must-picks - I may not have picked all of them but at least I looked at them and (briefly) considered them. Only exception is Cian Uijtdebroeks - I've literally never heard of him but I see he's been dubbed the next Evenepoel so I'm sure I'll regret not selecting him. As for Dumoulin, to be honest with the flip-flopping about his future in cycling I was hesitant to pick him - and even now that he's decided I'm not sure he will score well.

Anyway, here is my team:

EVENEPOEL Remco34
PEDERSEN Mads9
HIRSCHI Marc32
EWAN Caleb68
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres28
SIVAKOV Pavel8
NAESEN Oliver14
BENNETT George5
BAGIOLI Andrea35
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe32
VALTER Attila10
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao41
TULETT Ben21
OLDANI Stefano5
FISHER-BLACK Finn6
CALMEJANE Lilian8
STANNARD Robert9
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro2
HINDLEY Jai62
VAN WILDER Ilan63
KNOX James7
FERRON Valentin2
BARBIER Pierre3
PONOMAR Andriy10
KÄMNA Lennard72
PICCOLO Andrea17
GAZZOLI Michele1
HAYTER Leo6
WACKERMANN Luca3
PARET-PEINTRE Valentin8
MALECKI Kamil15
FANCELLU Alessandro2
LAWLESS Christopher14

Somehow George Bennett snuck in there and I have no idea how, I'm surprised to find him on my list just now :oops:

I found it quite hard to select my team this year. It seems my team is on the unpopular side but that's okay, I quite like riders in the 5-15 range because it's a high enough number to make me feel like I'm not completely deranged for selecting them but at the same time a small enough group that it'll be extra sweet if those riders score well.

Reactions: search
Interesting facts:

According to the spreadsheet NOBODY selected:

Roglic
Alaphilippe
Bernal
Colbrelli
Carapaz
Vingegaard

this year.
Apparently Roglic and Vingegaard will be "equal leaders" at the Tour.

I was very close to picking Vingegaard (instead of Remco), but was like nah... they'll make him wait for Roglic on a cobbles or echelon stage... and then neither of them will finish second.

Okay, joking about the last part ....I don't know if Pog is unbeatable ...as I rate Vingegaard like a MF. A shame he will be a non-factor in this game. Not even his Danish fans think he can at least double his score, apparently. Ouch.

Last edited:
PLAPP Lucas: 97

I've never seen him ride and I know next to nothing about him. Going by results alone, he looks like a great talent, though, so I'm eager to see what he's got to offer in 2022.

You are in for a treat. Plapp is a hell of a talent. Besides his recent road accomplishment, he is also dual U19 Track World Champion, and when he was 16 years of age, he finished 7th at the Preston Mountain Classic climbing the 10% Murchison Gap hill with some of Australias best domestic climbers (Crome, Mawditt, and Matthew Ross for example).

Hm, I looked at the popularity of my riders, and there's something weird in the spread-sheet... Are you sure, you included me, @skidmark? I mean, my team is there and has a table of its own, but it looks like you didn't include my picks in the popularity tables? I thought it was still a work in progress, but since you published the pop table here and I can't be included (for instance Pinarello is there as a unique pick, while with me it should be at least 2 picks), something seems to have gone wrong?

After my disastrous performance last year, you might want to worry if you share my pics. Given that two of the riders responsible for such a debacle were Sagan and Hirschi, you may wonder why I have picked them again. Me too, though I feel pretty confident in Sagan. His early season was so badly affected by illness, I just feel a healthy Sagan has a massive up side. Hirschi bothers me more. I have stuck with him from his breakthrough year though, so he owes me ... and I just hope that riding pain free will help get some profit. He certainly has the ability.

I have most of the on obvious picks, save Ewan (who I picked a few times early in his career) and Van Wilder. I just think that Jakobsen is the sprinter to have ... with Sagan and De Lie also competing at the sharp end. Add in another who has had pretty awful luck while I have been picking him, Gaviria, I had no room for Ewan.

The mid-price riders that I hope will make a difference for me are Padun, Storer, Paret-Peintre and Champoussin. Lafay is in there because me and the missus have followed his career for a few years and believe he has more race wins in him when he starts shaving.

I needed a lot of low scorers/neo-pro types and have some pretty silly hopes for Josh Whitehead, Milan Vader and David Martin, all rare picks, but with decent reputations.

Can't wait for the action to kick off.

SAGAN Peter
PIDCOCK Thomas
JAKOBSEN Fabio
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
HIRSCHI Marc
CHAMPOUSSIN Clément
STORER Michael
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
LAFAY Victor
BAGIOLI Andrea
PADUN Mark
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
DUMOULIN Tom
TULETT Ben
BARONCINI Filippo
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
PLAPP Lucas
DE LIE Arnaud
KÄMNA Lennard
JUNGELS Bob
VERNON Ethan
ARROYAVE CAÑAS Daniel
RIVERA VARGAS Brandon Smith
PIDCOCK Joseph
WHITEHEAD Josh
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
GROSS Felix
VADER Milan
RODENBERG MADSEN Frederik
MALECKI Kamil
VERSCHAEVE Viktor
MARTIN ROMERO David

So, regarding Hindley, what are peoples expectations, what's his floor/ceiling? I had him in for a long time, but in the end went for younger, more exciting riders. After seeing his big popularity, it's perhaps an omission that's gonna haunt me.

My thinking was that Bora has a lot of half-decent climbers to satisfy (Aleotti, Buchmann, Fabbro, Grossschartner, Kämna, Konrad and Schelling), on top of Kelderman and clear-captains Schachmann, Vlasov and Higuita. Though Hindley might double his score easily, I think there's enough mouths to feed that I wasn't totally sold on ghe project. Right now his giro second place is the outlier, and with a saddle sore and easy cq points in Poland he didn't manage to convince me otherwise last year.

But again, he was probably the last rider I removed before the last day reshuffle.

Hm, I looked at the popularity of my riders, and there's something weird in the spread-sheet... Are you sure, you included me, @skidmark? I mean, my team is there and has a table of its own, but it looks like you didn't include my picks in the popularity tables? I thought it was still a work in progress, but since you published the pop table here and I can't be included (for instance Pinarello is there as a unique pick, while with me it should be at least 2 picks), something seems to have gone wrong?

You're right! :eek:

I missed entering your team in the popularity tab somehow! I dunno why, hopefully that's the only one I missed, thanks for pointing it out! If anyone else has any issues, lemme know. I'm going to make any updates in about 24 hours, so that's when I'll post the final popularity table.

So, regarding Hindley, what are peoples expectations, what's his floor/ceiling? I had him in for a long time, but in the end went for younger, more exciting riders. After seeing his big popularity, it's perhaps an omission that's gonna haunt me.

My thinking was that Bora has a lot of half-decent climbers to satisfy (Aleotti, Buchmann, Fabbro, Grossschartner, Kämna, Konrad and Schelling), on top of Kelderman and clear-captains Schachmann, Vlasov and Higuita. Though Hindley might double his score easily, I think there's enough mouths to feed that I wasn't totally sold on ghe project. Right now his giro second place is the outlier, and with a saddle sore and easy cq points in Poland he didn't manage to convince me otherwise last year.

But again, he was probably the last rider I removed before the last day reshuffle.
Don't think that Higuita is a clear-captain there, doubt that Vlasov is higher in pecking order than Hindley too. Buchmann is a captain, Keldermann and Max too...

I was worried about that depth too, but Hindley is too talented not to score 400-500 points at least if he is healthy. Upside is probably near 700-800 points.

After pushing aside most of my commitments to get things up and running for the game, I don't have a ton of time today but wanted to at least get started on a writeup of my team. Other part(s) to follow when I have a sec.

I’m going to rank from most to least popular, to get the obvious ones out of the way (although I can’t resist saying stuff about each of them, please bear with me, or don’t!)

Lennard Kamna (53 points, 72 teams) – I wish him the best in his motivation/mental health struggles. He’s such a talented rider, and I definitely appreciate the fortitude it takes to admit that you’ve gotta take some time off, in the pressure-cooker of pro sports. Of course, in the CQ game that makes him a pick of potential inconsistency, but everything I could find suggested he’s good to go this year, and his talent is undeniable.

Caleb Ewan (482 points, 68 teams) – in the last 3 years, he’s got as good a claim as any to be the fastest sprinter in the world. Last year he had an ambitious program that seemed to be doing okay until his crash in the Tour, which threw everything else off. He was a step behind the rest of the season – seems like he’s gonna be more realistic this year and not make any elaborate plans for winning GT stages in all 3 GTs or anything like that. That approach can lead to a win in MSR and the Green Jersey in Paris (and a good showing in the Worlds?) if all goes well.

Tom Dumoulin (307 points, 66 teams) – speaking of athletes who realized they needed to take a step back for their own mental health. Even if he’s shifting focus away from contesting GTs, his talent is still there, and not putting all his eggs in the GT basket can just hopefully spread the points around. I’m surprised he’s not the most picked tbh.

Ilan Van Wilder (137 points, 63 teams) – I am, however, surprised that IVW (do people call him that?) was picked this much. Don’t get me wrong, he’s good – last year when I picked Froome at the end of my team process, I justified it with ‘well would I really go for an unknown of similar price like Ilan Van Wilder’? And then he showed some flash, much more than his score, thanks to DSM’s… whatever the hell it is they do to make riders chew their own arm off to escape. But, you know, that 13-year old kid that got mildly famous for riding next to the bunch up a hill and getting handed a bottle outperformed Chris Froome last year, so it’s not a high bar. IVW seems talented but unproven. But I guess he’s a popular pick mainly because he’s leaving DSM for QuickStep, which is like coming to Man City from… dare I say… Wigan?

Jai Hindley (137 points, 62 teams) – it’s the year of the 137 pointer! I mean, even if you think his almost winning the Giro was a fluke result, he doesn’t need to repeat that highest of highs to be good in this game. His prior results were good enough – almost 400 points at CT level before signing WT, a year of learning, then a consistent year of top 15s or better and over 300 points. If his true level is somewhere between that and his 2020, he should get 500+, which is great for this price. Just hope those saddle sores aren’t a chronic thing.

Thibaut Pinot (207 points, 61 teams) – I’m not gonna look up my exact writeup, but in the 2020 version of this thread when I picked him for a cost of 861, I said something to the effect of “I didn’t realize until looking at his CQ page that he may be the most consistently high stage race finisher in the peloton”. And until his Tour messed everything up in 2020, his results were 7th (Provence), 6th (Var), 5th (P-N), 4th (Occitanie), 2nd (Dauphine). 2019 he was 4th (Provence), 1st (Var), 5th (T-A), 11th (Catalunya) 1st (l’Ain), 5th (Dauphine), and briefly looked like he could win the Tour in the third week before dropping out due to injury. Let’s do one more – 2018 he was 5th (Var), 10th (Catalunya), 1st (Alps), 3rd (Pologne), 6th (Vuelta), and dropped out of the Giro due to pneumonia a hair’s breadth away from the podium. I’m not hand picking these, those are literally all the stage races he participated in for three years, and his lowest finish was 11th.

Anyway, all that is to say: 1) if his back issues are truly behind him, he’s got a pretty strong baseline if he can return to it, and 2) I thought he was a deal in 2020 at over 4x his price this year. Allez Thibaut!

Bob Jungels (42 points, 61 teams) – I hope his issues are resolved, although arterial issues have a mixed history (Dombrowski and Aru are cautionary tales that come to mind). AG2R have been cursed with their marquee signings. Well, it’s equally possible that Patrick Lefevre put a hex on him, he seems like the kinda guy that would.

Tom Pidcock (708 points, 58 teams) – I had him off my team for awhile, thinking that it’d be hard to top his almost perfect debut year, and I always have trouble envisioning where Ineos guys are gonna get their chances. I was looking at who they’re going to take to the Giro, and was like ‘well what chances is he gonna have in those 21 days?’ And then, I realized that in his debut year, he rode 21 anonymous days in Spain as a learning experience, so whatever he does he’ll probably be a bit better at least, and even ‘wasting’ those days he cleared 700. And then also if the start of last season was a learning curve at all, he can probably improve on some of those placings. And that’s aside from the fact that he almost (or maybe actually did) won Amstel Gold in his first try, got a bunch of high placings, and won’t have as much energy taken away from the road to do something like win Olympic gold in MTB. All of this at age 21, it’s hard to bet against this guy.

Juan Ayuso (178 points, 57 teams) – I actually haven’t seen him ride. I just have heard murmurs here and there, and a sheet of CQ results that look promising. And then I go to do some vetting for this game, and everything I read is basically like “he’s the best, he’s definitely going to be the best”. So I will certainly defer to the hype machine in this case.

Miguel Angel Lopez (563, 51) – well, off the bike, onto the cell phone, into the team car, and off of the Vuelta podium and the Movistar team entirely… and right into his old team, the one sponsored by a state that is currently engulfed in internal strife. Seems appropriate. He has that tantalizing double-GT-podium ceiling of 2018, or even just a good year will more than double his points, but in most of his seasons the chaos settles on a more moderate score. I don’t know what makes this guy tick, but whatever it is, it has the potential to score a lot of CQ points. So long as his team continues to exist.

Cian Uijtdebroeks (0, 50) – I hope he can score as many points as his name would score on a triple word score in scrabble. All joking aside, I’m not convinced he’ll score all that many this year, maybe 200-300 would be optimistic. Certainly he’s had some dominant results, but not that dominant, at least from what I can tell. Simmons definitely seems like a better comparison that Evenepoel, and Simmons just cleared 200 in his first year. There weren’t that many low-priced riders I thought were super great though, so he got the nod on my team.

Tao Geoghegan Hart (210, 41) – wow, I never thought I’d think of his name as relatively easy to spell, but look at that. So for him, the same logic as my writeup for Hindley, except TGH has an even better record. It’s interesting that Hindley was picked by 21 more teams when he wasn’t that much better of a bargain. It’s probably the Ineos thing. I know, hard to see where they’ll all get chances, that turned me off of Ben Tulett this year.

Reactions: BlueRoads
my team:

PIDCOCK Thomas 708
PEDERSEN Mads 589
KRISTOFF Alexander 579
BENNETT Sam 566
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 563
LANDA MEANA Mikel 533
EWAN Caleb 482
FUGLSANG Jakob 447
VANSEVENANT Mauri 438
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe 311
VERMEERSCH Florian 311
DUMOULIN Tom 307
BETTIOL Alberto 257
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka 214
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao 210
PINOT Thibaut 207
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan 178
VAN WILDER Ilan 137
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel 77
VLIEGEN Loïc 64
ASKEY Lewis 64
KÄMNA Lennard 53
JUNGELS Bob 42
DE PLUS Laurens 34
WACKERMANN Luca 28
HOLMES Matthew 27
VERNON Ethan 26
CAICEDO CEPEDA Jonathan Klever 20
HANSEN Lasse Norman 20
RANGEL COSTA Vinicius 8
MALECKI Kamil 0
VACEK Karel 0
RIVERA SERRANO Kevin 0

my main decision was going back and forth between Sagan and Ackermann before finally realising at the last minute that, in fact, Pidcock was a much better pick. I was certainly not expecting him to be such a popular pick.

the only guy out of the top 10 most popular is Hindley who was in my team for a long while but in the end I removed him. I guess I kind of thought the GIro was a fluke and he would score nowhere near his 2020 amount. however, I did pick TGH whose GIro performance I also consider a fluke. hopefully that logic will shine through during the season...
out of the most popular guys the only ones I never thought about were Uijtdebroeks, Bagioli and Jakobsen. the latter might be an issue although I do have other sprinters.

my rare picks were Hansen, Holmes, Wackermann, Vacek and, surprisingly Izaguirre (unless there is something I don't know).

biggest risks might be my duo of old men on new teams looking to rebound from disappointing seasons in Fuglsang and Kristoff (if I had not picked him last year I probably would not have done this year)

along with Kristoff I have several alumni from previous teams including Pidcock, Pedersen, Bettiol, Jungels and Van Wilder from last year and Wackermann, Narvaez, Rivera and Vliegen from a few years back.

I have to say I do not really know who Askey, Vernon or Malecki are but they looked like good low cost picks during my analysis. I am pleased to see they have been picked by several others who presumably do know more about them.

Last edited:
You know you're underprepared when you read one of the first reveals (tobydawq's) and panic because you don't have Bettiol, Narvaez and Van Dijke (the first two completely escaped my attention). But I've calmed down now! :tearsofjoy:

As you said, we definitely think very similarly! Has there ever been two more similar teams in the game?

It's basically gonna be
Bennett vs Moscon
Fuglsang vs Higuita
Geoghegan Hart vs Bagioli
Baroncini vs Vuillermoz
Dekker vs Grosu

Those are the only differences we have above 100 points cost.

And I could have picked Geoghegan Hart too. But I was closer to picking Tulett to be honest. I'm a bit worried about all the love for Ethan Vernon, who was a late cut from my team (I might be too hung up on getting close to 7500. Maybe he should've been in for Nys), but I'm happy to see you don't have him.

Anyway, here's my team:

PIDCOCK Thomas 708
JAKOBSEN Fabio 635
MOSCON Gianni 569
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 563
LANDA MEANA Mikel 533
EWAN Caleb 482
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres 404
CICCONE Giulio 343
BAGIOLI Andrea 314
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe 311
DUMOULIN Tom 307
KOOIJ Olav 249
SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro 211
PINOT Thibaut 207
ANDERSEN Søren Kragh 203
BUCHMANN Emanuel 190
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan 178
HINDLEY Jai 137
VAN WILDER Ilan 137
VUILLERMOZ Alexis 124
THIJSSEN Gerben 122
GROSU Eduard-Michael 111
GROVES Kaden 67
DE LIE Arnaud 57
KÄMNA Lennard 53
ROSA Diego 52
JANSEN Amund Grøndahl 46
JUNGELS Bob 42
LARSEN Niklas 40
NYS Thibau 37
BASKA Erik 31
HAGEN Carl Fredrik 21
VANDENABEELE Henri 15

Went the non-Evenepoel route, and even then, I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for some cheap picks to fill out my team. Not too confident about Vandenabeele, Rosa and Baska, and Nys was picked mostly for fun.

Its very similar indeed with how the teams are built, and we should end fairly close in the rankings I think. Its even cool to see you also have Thijssen given how rare a pick he is, but I guess not a coinsidence we both have him also. And if I recall correct its not the first year we have very similar teams :)

I do like your Rosa and Grosu picks also, they were not far from my team either. Regarding Vandenabeele the potential is clearly there, Im just always a bit sceptical about young Belgian climbers and how fast they develop after strong u23-results, as there have been some dissapointmets, and I also guess its not impossible that Baska could be a new Kump-2015-like pick perhaps, though I would fear for him his team will ride with Kubis as the first sprinter. Nys is clearly interesting, but I guess his succes will depend on how much he will ride on the road.

Last edited:
You are in for a treat. Plapp is a hell of a talent. Besides his recent road accomplishment, he is also dual U19 Track World Champion, and when he was 16 years of age, he finished 7th at the Preston Mountain Classic climbing the 10% Murchison Gap hill with some of Australias best domestic climbers (Crome, Mawditt, and Matthew Ross for example).
Thanks! I'm confident when you're hyping you as you know a thing or two about youngsters. Too bad he can't defend his nationals title as the time trial champion.

Thanks! I'm confident when you're hyping you as you know a thing or two about youngsters. Too bad he can't defend his nationals title as the time trial champion.

Close contact to a Covid case? I mean couldn't they just the tested him and if he came negative then why wouldn't he be allowed to ride? Anyway, I hope he rides the RR.

It's not only Plapp's extraordinary physical ability I am keen about, it's his mentality as well, extremely hard-working kid. When he won the Australian junior Road TTs back in 2018 he skipped the team dinner in Ballarat, so he have his motor pace session next morning.

TRENDING THREADS