• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today my guys are finally starting! (So far there wasn't really anything in it for me...)

I'm excited, firstly because there's going to be a televised race! secondly because I want to see how my boys do.

I'm a bit worried because Hindley was on the Mallorca list but didn't race...

Slow start for my team so far, but not that many riders has raced in these first few races for me. Minor points from Buchmann, Bettiol and Walls. It was good to see Pinot again.

Next week it kicks off with some stage races.

Saudi Tour
Lennard Kämna

Valenciana
Gregor Mühlberger
Fabio Jakobsen
Juan Ayuso
Milan Vader
Jakob Fuglsang
Matthew Walls
Giulio Ciccone
Andrea Piccolo

An alright line-up, if some of these riders are in good form.

Etoile de Bessèges
Thibaut Pinot
Gerben Thijssen
Alberto Bettiol
Antonio Tiberi

Bettiol seems to be in decent form already. It is a stage-race that suits him and the last stage is a short ITT. If he is in contention after stage four, he might have a chance to win the GC or at least finish in a good place.

Last edited:
I thought I was in for a disappointing week but De Lie rescued it at the end, with Paret-Peintre and Champoussin picking up some small beans. With Plapp's ton, things are looking Ok so far.

This week some bigger guns roll out.

Saudi:

Kamna
Gaviria
Bagioli
Weatabix
Gross

Besseges:

Tullet
Champoussin

Valencia:

Jakobsen
Rodriguez
Ayuso
Vader

Gotta be some points there, surely to goodness.

Saudi
Lennard Kämna
Sam Bennett
Caleb Ewan

Besseges
Thibaut Pinot
Rémy Rochas
Alberto Bettiol
Jason Tesson

Valenciana
Gregor Mühlberger
Fabio Jakobsen
Marc Soler
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Pavel Sivakov
Jakob Fuglsang

If I don't get a few stage wins I'm disappointed.
Fight for the overall, there I'm more sceptic, that goes for all three races.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Ghirmay and Buchmann are my only riders who got any points this week, so should be a fairly average score. De Lie and McNulty are looking ominous, but at least aren't excessively popular. The racing goes up another notch this week and the good news is that half my team is starting somewhere.

Saudi Tour
Bennett
Kämna
Ewan
Bagioli

Stage wins shouldn't be a problem and the GC field is very thin so there's hope in that regard as well.

Bessèges
De Plus
Tullett
Baroncini
Pinot
Bayer
T Halland Johannessen

Surely at least some of them will do something GC-wise, although if the wind forecasts stay the same a fair few will be out of it before the first real climb.

Valenciana
Jakobsen
Ayuso
Dekker
Ciccone
Hvideberg
P Sanchez

It's a race with Evenepoel so all about damage limitation, although I expect a decent amount of points from some of my riders too.

Saudi
Lennard Kämna
Sam Bennett
Caleb Ewan

Besseges
Thibaut Pinot
Rémy Rochas
Alberto Bettiol
Jason Tesson

Valenciana
Gregor Mühlberger
Fabio Jakobsen
Marc Soler
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Pavel Sivakov
Jakob Fuglsang

If I don't get a few stage wins I'm disappointed.
Fight for the overall, there I'm more sceptic, that goes for all three races.
That is a heck of a line up for all three races. Well planned!

Went to post my team for the week and realized, my team kind of sucks. Or maybe I just picked grand tour types instead of race a lot of races types.

Saudi Tour
BAGIOLI Andrea
EWAN Caleb
KÄMNA Lennard
Uijtdebroeks Cian

Besseges
Nothing

Valenciana
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
CICCONE Giulio
DEKKER David
JAKOBSEN Fabio
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
SIVAKOV Pavel
Vader Milan

Actually, other then zero riders in France, there are some chances here. Some real possibilities for a sprint victory or two, and if Bagioli is who i think he is, a podium in Saudi? Really took a risk with Sivakov and this is the first chance to see if they might support him as the leader. Instead of Teo.

Update #3: Increasing Brandon Awareness

Well the first proper .1 races went down in Spain and France this week, and all 91 teams are on the board with points this season. Let's dive right in.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1kabete416
2ray10371
3the asian277
4mayomaniac266
5Tigerion263

kabete had a solid week this week, clearing 400 points and scoring at least 150 points more than all but two other teams. The top pick of the week was Brandon McNulty, with the still-young American winning with a huge solo attack on the first day of road racing of the season, and following it up with a couple of other high placings on the week. McNulty gained 164 points for his 8 team owners. kabete also saw a good return from Biniam Girmay, as the Eritrean rising star won the second road racing day of the season, adding 10 more points in another race for 90 on the week for his 17 owners. Beyond that, kabete had a few scorers adding points, notably 40 points from unique pick Sasha Weemaes. ray10 had a good result in second, also bringing in points from the McNulty-Girmay duo and adding a third winner in Arnaud De Lie (80 points, 18 teams). the asian nabs a somewhat distant third thanks largely to McNulty as well.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Eyeballs Out52
2Jakob74750
3kabete45
4Nakazar40
5ray1035

First week co-winner Eyeballs Out picks up 12 points for 10th place on the week, which is enough to leapfrog Jakob747 for the lead of this competition. kabete's weekly win gets their team into third overall.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+53)416
2(-1)Eyeballs Out376
3(+51)ray10371
4(+3)Tigerion363
5(+2)Nyssinator338
6(+1)Martin333
7(-)Lortnoc319
8(-4)shalgo318
9(-2)Hugo Koblet294
10(+31)slow_climber287

Eyeballs Out may have been spotted a 150+ point lead after a good first two weeks, but kabete's 416 points on the week were enough to go from zero to first in a single bound! Obviously the table is ripe for massive shakeup in the first couple of weeks, and the top of the overall table largely mirrors the weekly table with this being the first week of multiple days of racing giving points. Other than kabete and ray10, slow climber is also a newcomer to the top 10 this week, at the expense of a bunch of teams that were tied for a top 10 placing last week.

This upcoming week sees our first 2.1 races in Saudi Arabia and France, as well as our first 2.PS race in Spain. The season is ramping up, and most riders are getting started!

spreadsheet at dropbox

Wow 10th overall! One to remember, before all my bad team picks become obvious.

This is my first time in the competition after a couple of years just reading the forums. Already adding to my enjoyment of the cycling season, so thanks to Skidmark. And Brandon McNulty.

Reactions: repre
Girmay has all of my points for the moment. Let's change that this week.

Saudi Tour
EWAN Caleb
BAGIOLI Andrea
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
ZINGLE Axel
VAN GILS Maxim
KÄMNA Lennard
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
EVENEPOEL Remco
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
MÜHLBERGER Gregor

Etoile de Bessèges
PINOT Thibaut
TULETT Ben
BARONCINI Filippo
KORETZKY Victor

I'm kicking myself for not including De Lie. I really don't remember why I didn't pick him apart from not really knowing him (not a joke; I did have him on my long list).

At least Bettiol is looking good.

Same here, though I know exactly why. Somehow, I convinced myself that he earnt about 300 points last year and so probably wasn't worth the risk. Every year, I do this with at least one rider who I longlist early in the season and then forget to properly check their final tally.

Just rubs salt into the wound of my very slow start so far:rage:

Saudi
Ewan
Uijtdebroeks

Valenciana
Evenpoel
Ciccone
Ayuso
Nieve

Would be nice if Ciccone can get a better start to his season than last year. But really, this is all about Evenepoel. One way or another, I think he's going to be big factor in how the game plays out this year?

Bresseges
Baroncini
Calmejane
Pinot
Bettiol
Lawless
Modolo

Hmmm, Bennett last minute not riding the Saudi tour is not a good signal (as he is my most expensive rider). Half of the players here have him..
Only read a few weeks ago, that it´s possible that he will still not be in shape during the first races this season, because of too little training after his injury. Let´s hope, that it´s only a precaution.

Nevertheless I have a few riders riding this week:

Saudi: Ewan, Kämna, Uijtdebroeks
Valencia: Ciccone, TAO, Stork, Rodriguez, Ayuso
Etoile: Pinot, de Plus, Tiberi

TRENDING THREADS