• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As usual, my team does not have much of a chance in the overall competition, but I am tracking my progress towards the most elusive of achievements in the CQ ranking game: having all of my riders make a profit. As far as I know, this is still something that nobody has ever achieved in this game. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

After the post-TDF update, and the additional points from Wallonie and Castilla y Leon, 20 of my riders are now into profit. An additional 7 have at least 70% of their 2021 points. 3 have between 50% and 70%, and another 3 have below 50%. All of my riders have scored at least 28% of their 2021 points. On the whole, it is not inconceivable that all of them end up in profit. The main barriers are probably Dumoulin, Padun, and George Bennett--although the latter took a big step towards getting into profit today.

I wonder if anyone else has thought about their team's chances of pulling this off.

As usual, my team does not have much of a chance in the overall competition, but I am tracking my progress towards the most elusive of achievements in the CQ ranking game: having all of my riders make a profit. As far as I know, this is still something that nobody has ever achieved in this game. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

After the post-TDF update, and the additional points from Wallonie and Castilla y Leon, 20 of my riders are now into profit. An additional 7 have at least 70% of their 2021 points. 3 have between 50% and 70%, and another 3 have below 50%. All of my riders have scored at least 28% of their 2021 points. On the whole, it is not inconceivable that all of them end up in profit. The main barriers are probably Dumoulin, Padun, and George Bennett--although the latter took a big step towards getting into profit today.

I wonder if anyone else has thought about their team's chances of pulling this off.

Not a chance for me. Most of all not with Osorio's 5% and him not even having a team...

I don’t remember anybody even being close to that achievement. With 33 riders there’s always someone that’s going to mess it up by crashing, getting ill, underperforming or getting himself suspend before the first race of the season à la Offredo. I mean just this year 3 of the 4 most popular picks (Dumoulin, Ewan, Van Wilder) have yet to break even.

Concerning my team, I don’t think that Rivera is going to race again this year so the best I can hope for is for every rider to break even. I have 13 picks yet to get there. Toumire (missing 4 points), Brenner (5), Van Tricht (11), Baroncini (33), Tulett (40) and Battistella (44) should get there eventually. Van Wilder, Vermeersch, Simmons and Ewan could go either way. Unfortunately I can’t see Dumoulin, Bagioli and Gonzalez making it.

I had a little time so I looked at who could get there this year. There’s 91 teams this year. If we eliminate all the teams with Dumoulin or Lopez on them, there’s only 16 teams left that have a shot. Half of those teams have either Bagioli and/or Sagan so they are out too. Yellow Knight has Bissegger, firefly3323 has Kuss, Jon-Ezeitza has Storer, Tigerion has Haig, Poles and Co has Walls and Koronin has Viviani so we can safely cross them out as well.

Vladimir has Sivakov, Dekker and Bennett and it’s really hard to see all three turn a profit. ray10 is probably the closest to getting it done. They have only 3 riders below 50% of their cost (and 7 below 70%) but they would still need Berrade to score 116 points as well as Iserbyt (no team) and Drizners (no race since crashing in UAE tour) to score some points. It’s not happening. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: shalgo
Evenepoel, Rodriguez and Skjelmose in San Sebastian. Kooij in Poland. Perfect day really.

At this rate, it unfortunately seems that CQ are rolling two weeks into one download...
The update is out now but they did take much longer than usual (it wasn't out on wednesday when I checked and I can't recall an update going out later than tuesday). I don't know when skidmark will be able to update the spreadsheet however.

I don’t remember anybody even being close to that achievement. With 33 riders there’s always someone that’s going to mess it up by crashing, getting ill, underperforming or getting himself suspend before the first race of the season à la Offredo. I mean just this year 3 of the 4 most popular picks (Dumoulin, Ewan, Van Wilder) have yet to break even.

Concerning my team, I don’t think that Rivera is going to race again this year so the best I can hope for is for every rider to break even. I have 13 picks yet to get there. Toumire (missing 4 points), Brenner (5), Van Tricht (11), Baroncini (33), Tulett (40) and Battistella (44) should get there eventually. Van Wilder, Vermeersch, Simmons and Ewan could go either way. Unfortunately I can’t see Dumoulin, Bagioli and Gonzalez making it.

I had a little time so I looked at who could get there this year. There’s 91 teams this year. If we eliminate all the teams with Dumoulin or Lopez on them, there’s only 16 teams left that have a shot. Half of those teams have either Bagioli and/or Sagan so they are out too. Yellow Knight has Bissegger, firefly3323 has Kuss, Jon-Ezeitza has Storer, Tigerion has Haig, Poles and Co has Walls and Koronin has Viviani so we can safely cross them out as well.

Vladimir has Sivakov, Dekker and Bennett and it’s really hard to see all three turn a profit. ray10 is probably the closest to getting it done. They have only 3 riders below 50% of their cost (and 7 below 70%) but they would still need Berrade to score 116 points as well as Iserbyt (no team) and Drizners (no race since crashing in UAE tour) to score some points. It’s not happening. Maybe next year.
I think it was last year that I looked through everyone very late in the year, thinking that if it was ever going to happen it would be from the base of low 2020 scores. 1 team that was way down the rankings was very close, but as I type I realise that my lack of recall of the details is making this post almost pointless.

Edit: found it
Even with the greatly depressed 2020 scores, none of us managed the elusive goal of every rider in profit. As far as I can see, the closest to this was Tom-jelte, although he finished 3/4 of the way down the field. Only Sergio Higuita and Oliver Naesen scored less than 100%, and at 80% and 94% respectively, even his most disappointing selections did not disappoint by much. Pinot and Jungels ensured that most teams had at least one rider in the low 30s, if not lower.

Last edited:
Update #28: Squire becomes King

Well, the Tour update is finally out from CQ covering the week through July 24th, so I will get this out and then get the next update (presuming it's not delayed) in the next few days. And with the Tour GC points as well as the Tour Wallonie, it was always bound to be a big week. And indeed, there is a good amount of movement in the standings, including at the very top!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1firefly33231,263
218-Valve. (pithy)1,124
3edkDeus1,046
4comodoro766
5laarsland761

Three teams break the 1000-point mark this week; if you've been paying attention through the Tour, you'd have picked up that 3 teams have Pogacar this year, and there is no coincidence here. Despite not winning the Tour for the first time, the sterling Slovenian still picked up 690 points just on his own, which would be enough for 11th place in the standings this week even without any other riders. But firefly3323 came out on top because their team saw 573 points from other riders, including unique pick Neilson Powless (123 points), rare pick Sepp Kuss (85 points, 2 teams) and more popular picks Jungels (130 points) and Pinot (111 points). 18-Valve also had Jungels and Pinot, as well as 88 points from Tom Pidcock, which together with Pogacar was good enough for 2nd this week, while edkDeus had Pogi, Jungles, and 6 riders between 20-55 points.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1ray10309
2EvansIsTheBest243
3MADRAZO188
4Nakazar177
518-Valve. (pithy)174

18-Valve got 35 points for second place, which when combined with 45 points for a win 2 weeks ago and 2 points for 14th place last week, is enough to vault their team into the top 5. At the top, ray10 finishes in the top 15 this week to add another 12 points to their team's substantial lead, whereas the teams in place 2-4 don't score this week. There is still a whole GT and last third of the season to go, but ray10's lead is looking a little unassailable at this point.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+2)11701
2(-)MADRAZO11680
3(-2)EvansIsTheBest11652
4(-)Riverside11241
5(-)ray1011226
6(+3)laarsland11017
7(-1)Devils_Elbow10858
8(-)Nakazar10838
9(+1)Lortnoc10680
10(-3)search10674

The top 3 are incredibly close still, with less than 50 points between them. But the order has flip-flopped - Squire got 603 points on the week and MADRAZO got 578, but EvansIsTheBest only got 399, so Squire leapfrogs them both into the overall lead. This score discrepancy was largely because EITB went against the grain by forgoing popular picks Pidcock (59 teams) and Jungels (63 teams), who both scored decent points this week. EITB isn't doomed by this however, as it's only 49 points back to the top and their team includes Evenepoel, who is ramping back up towards the Vuelta.

Despite the high scores, things are relatively stable lower down, with Riverside and ray10 maintaining their place (only separated by 15 points), and two pairings below that very close as well (20 points between 7th and 8th, 6 points between 9th and 10th). No entries or exits from the top 10 this week.

Of course, the 'upcoming' week has already passed, so we know the spoiler that Evenepoel-owners will be rejoicing from San Sebastien. We shall see when CQ decides to put that update in the downloads, and I will see you then!

spreadsheet at dropbox

I lost the lead in the update but with Higuita's win it's still a pretty good day. Tulett, Battistella, Quinn, Gonzalez and Brenner are still somewhat in contention for GC points as well. Unless Carlos Rodriguez or (less likely) Buitrago go nuts in Burgos I'm not getting much from that race.

I can't say I'm in love with the route design of the Tour of Pologne but it's been pretty nice for my CQ team. Battistella, Tulett and Brenner are now all into profit. With Higuita that's 3 of the top 8 (and 4 of the top12) in the GC so that's probably enough density to keep up with the teams with Hayter or Arensman.

I didn't necessarily expect much from Burgos but Rodriguez, Buitrago, Hindley and Van Wilder are all in the mix before the final stage so it could end up as a pleasant surprise. I need the biggest buffer possible before the one day race festival starts again in Belgium and De Lie goes back to cranking out 80 points every three days.

Update #29: LaFlorecita has a great week; EvansIsTheBest is TheBest again

Pardon the delay, was out of town for a few days while this belated update was posted. (fingers crossed CQ is back on track this week)

So update 29 covers the post-Tour week, which saw most prominently the Clasica San Sebastien, the conclusion of the Tour de Wallonie, as well as a couple of other 1-day races in Spain (plus the 2-day Castilia y Leon). A few riders, and therefore a few teams, stood out above the rest, and things shuffled around again on the overall standings.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1LaFlorecita760
2EvansIsTheBest686
3Jon_Ezeitza667
4will10658
5Leadbelly617

LaFlorecita put it all together this week to lead the pack with an impressive 760 points. Of course, the must-have for high scorers this week was Clasica winner Remco Evenepoel (220 points, 35 teams), and that's the headliner of Flo's team as well. But she also hit the jackpot on a few of her more rare picks: Robert Stannard (165 points, 9 teams) won his biggest career race in Wallonie, Pavel Sivakov (132 points, 8 teams) got 2nd in San Sebastien, and George Bennett (140 points, 5 teams) got 2nd in Castilla y Leon, a top 10 in the 1.1 Getxo, and 13th in the Clasica.

EvansIsTheBest bounced back after a down week to get 2nd here, with a 686 score that will go a long way in the overall. Aside from Remco, EITB rode a massive week from Mattias Skjelmose (150 points, 11 teams), and pretty good weeks from Carlos Rodriguez (86, 16), Juan Ayuso (80, 57), and Maxime Van Gils (56, 2). Jon Ezeitza takes third with an almost identical lineup (swap out Van Gils and substitute Frederik Wandahl's 50 points for the decent scoring rider picked by 2 teams).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1ray10309
2EvansIsTheBest278
3MADRAZO188
4Nakazar177
518-Valve. (pithy)174

I mentioned last week that ray10's lead was starting to look unassailable... but then the only team remotely close (EITB) picked up 35 points to pull within 31 points of the lead. So I will reframe that to suggest that the lead of the top 2 is looking more unassailable. It would take 2 weekly wins (plus no points for the top 2) for third place MADRAZO to even tie for 2nd, let alone make a run at 1st.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+2)12338
2(-1)squire11943
3(-1)MADRAZO11939
4(+1)ray1011576
5(-1)Riverside11511
6(-)laarsland11403
7(+1)Nakazar11121
8(-1)Devils_Elbow11071
9(-)Lortnoc11060
10(+2)Armchair cyclist11059

Last week, Squire made it to the lead, and the margins were incredibly slim between the top 3. Unsurprisingly, a huge week from EITB creates some separation again - nearly a 400 point lead now. Squire and MADRAZO are locked in a very close battle still, but have some ground to make up as the Vuelta and late summer classics approach. Some flipping of spots further down, with Armchair Cyclist making it back to the top 10 and search falling out.

Next week (errr, the week that just passed) Pologne concludes, as well as the Vuelta Burgos. Who's gonna get points? Well, for riders, I guess you already know that. For teams... stay tuned and hope CQ updates on Monday!

spreadsheet

Update #29: LaFlorecita has a great week; EvansIsTheBest is TheBest again

Pardon the delay, was out of town for a few days while this belated update was posted. (fingers crossed CQ is back on track this week)

So update 29 covers the post-Tour week, which saw most prominently the Clasica San Sebastien, the conclusion of the Tour de Wallonie, as well as a couple of other 1-day races in Spain (plus the 2-day Castilia y Leon). A few riders, and therefore a few teams, stood out above the rest, and things shuffled around again on the overall standings.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1LaFlorecita760
2EvansIsTheBest686
3Jon_Ezeitza667
4will10658
5Leadbelly617

LaFlorecita put it all together this week to lead the pack with an impressive 760 points. Of course, the must-have for high scorers this week was Clasica winner Remco Evenepoel (220 points, 35 teams), and that's the headliner of Flo's team as well. But she also hit the jackpot on a few of her more rare picks: Robert Stannard (165 points, 9 teams) won his biggest career race in Wallonie, Pavel Sivakov (132 points, 8 teams) got 2nd in San Sebastien, and George Bennett (140 points, 5 teams) got 2nd in Castilla y Leon, a top 10 in the 1.1 Getxo, and 13th in the Clasica.

EvansIsTheBest bounced back after a down week to get 2nd here, with a 686 score that will go a long way in the overall. Aside from Remco, EITB rode a massive week from Mattias Skjelmose (150 points, 11 teams), and pretty good weeks from Carlos Rodriguez (86, 16), Juan Ayuso (80, 57), and Maxime Van Gils (56, 2). Jon Ezeitza takes third with an almost identical lineup (swap out Van Gils and substitute Frederik Wandahl's 50 points for the decent scoring rider picked by 2 teams).

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1ray10309
2EvansIsTheBest278
3MADRAZO188
4Nakazar177
518-Valve. (pithy)174

I mentioned last week that ray10's lead was starting to look unassailable... but then the only team remotely close (EITB) picked up 35 points to pull within 31 points of the lead. So I will reframe that to suggest that the lead of the top 2 is looking more unassailable. It would take 2 weekly wins (plus no points for the top 2) for third place MADRAZO to even tie for 2nd, let alone make a run at 1st.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(+2)
2(-1)squire11943
3(-1)MADRAZO11939
4(+1)ray1011576
5(-1)Riverside11511
6(-)laarsland11403
7(+1)Nakazar11121
8(-1)Devils_Elbow11071
9(-)Lortnoc11060
10(+2)Armchair cyclist11059

Last week, Squire made it to the lead, and the margins were incredibly slim between the top 3. Unsurprisingly, a huge week from EITB creates some separation again - nearly a 400 point lead now. Squire and MADRAZO are locked in a very close battle still, but have some ground to make up as the Vuelta and late summer classics approach. Some flipping of spots further down, with Armchair Cyclist making it back to the top 10 and search falling out.

Next week (errr, the week that just passed) Pologne concludes, as well as the Vuelta Burgos. Who's gonna get points? Well, for riders, I guess you already know that. For teams... stay tuned and hope CQ updates on Monday!

spreadsheet

Something is wrong with the ranking numbers. They are not chronological and don't much the true rankings.

So too I thought before stage 20 of last year's Vuelta.

But did I pick him again? Sure thing.

If I could just get the Vuelta top 5 with López, Hindley, Landa, Higuita and Froome, then you won't hear me complain.
At least the Burgos points are already secured.. :D

Unlike the Tour GC the Vuelta GC will have a much more significant impact in this game.
A lot of players have Evenepoel. Lopez, Higuita and Landa are also pretty popular. Ok Hindley nearly everybody has. I am hoping for good results from Rodriguez, TGH and Padun!

Last edited:
Update #30: Rakim rules the week while EITB increases lead

With CQ getting their Monday update out on Monday again, we can discuss 'last week' in the literal sense in this update, and last week the highlights were two stage races in the WT-level Tour de Pologne, and the Pro-level Vuelta a Burgos. Some popular riders scored triple-digit points, and some less popular riders scored even better, so as always, the right combo of all of these made it to the top of the standings.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Rakim904
2Jakob747864
3EvansIsTheBest798
4bminchow797
5trackstand775

Rakim impressively breaks 900 points this week, thanks to 4 riders scoring better than 100 points: 200 from Thymen Arensman (13 teams), 191 from Pavel Sivakov (8 teams), 142 from Sergio Higuita (30 teams), and 107 from Miguel Angel Lopez (52 teams). That got their team most of the way there, with further help from Van Wilder, Hindley, and the returning Jarrad Drizners. Jakob747 took second with a fairly different set of riders, with Higuita but also Ethan Hayter (245 points, 4 teams) and unique pick Matteo Sorbero (125 points). Overall leader EvansIsTheBest continues another impressive multi-week surge, also with Higuita but with many rarer picks performing well (Ben Tulett, Samuele Battistella, Carlos Rodriguez, and Santiago Buitrago all scoring decently this week). When you're hot, you're hot.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1ray10309
2EvansIsTheBest308
3MADRAZO188
4Lortnoc181
5Nakazar177

With another 30 points in the rankings this week, EvansIsTheBest has evidently decided to go for this competition as a result of being bored with such a large lead in the overall. It's an incredibly tight race at the top, with ray10 only ahead by 1 point... and then an enormous dropoff to third place. A little further below, Lortnoc is the only other scorer in the top 5, picking up 8 points to leapfrog from 6th to 4th.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)13136
2(-)squire12434
3(-)MADRAZO12421
4(+2)laarsland12000
5(-1)ray1011988
6(+5)Rakim11956
7(-2)Riverside11872
8(+1)Lortnoc11694
9(-2)Nakazar11663
10(-2)Devils_Elbow11521

After decisively moving back into the lead, EITB picks up a cool 300-ish points on the nearest competitors to solidify a 700-point lead. Of course, if that lead opened up in two weeks' time, it can theoretically close just as quickly, although much depends on active lineups and who's riding where.

Squire and MADRAZO are still locked quite closely together (although Squire extended their lead from 4 to 13 points), and places 4-6 are all quite close to each other as well. Rakim rockets into the top 10 as a result of winning the week, which comes at the expense of Armchair Cyclist dropping out of the top 10 again.

This week we have the Tour de l'Ain, Arctic Race of Norway, and a summer smorgasbord of 1-day races including the Euros. Then it's one week to the Vuelta!

spreadsheet link

TRENDING THREADS