• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2022 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My unique pick Dries de Pooter is 4 points into profit! I can die, ehm, leave happily now.

@skidmark: There's something slightly weird about the update, though. Vermeersch loses 5 points? What did he do? And Benoot gains 2 points? From what? Isn't he out injured?
Now, not that it makes any difference, I was just wondering.

I feel bad for laarsland, it's very hard to find a unique pick in that price range that turns out well and having a big chunk of Quintana's gains taken away like that is brutal.

That was a very good week for my team, but I won't relax until I lock in the GC points from the Vuelta. If Evenepoel, Ayuso and Rodriguez can keep their spots, I think I'll finally have a gap big enough that De Lie won't wipe it out in two weeks.

@skidmark: There's something slightly weird about the update, though. Vermeersch loses 5 points? What did he do? And Benoot gains 2 points? From what? Isn't he out injured?
Now, not that it makes any difference, I was just wondering.
Quintana got stripped of his results in the Tour so everyone else moves up on the GC and the various stages, netting additional points (2 in Benoot's case for moving from 36th to 35th). I'm not sure what happened to Vermeersch (and Ewan for that matter). My best guess is that they were mistakenly entered as finishers at the Bemer Cyclassics and when it was corrected to DNF instead, they lost the 5 points awarded for finishing the race.

• Haha
Reactions: laarsland and BR2
Don't want to spoil the next update too much so I'll just say one thing. Assuming the GC in Spain holds tomorrow (and why wouldn't it), at least one team, unfortunately not mine, will break the all time record for most point in a week (Ben1376 during the Giro GC update in 2014 with 2146pts). That's with one stage of the Vuelta, the GP de Montréal and the GP Foumies still to go.

Don't want to spoil the next update too much so I'll just say one thing. Assuming the GC in Spain holds tomorrow (and why wouldn't it), at least one team, unfortunately not mine, will break the all time record for most point in a week (Ben1376 during the Giro GC update in 2014 with 2146pts). That's with one stage of the Vuelta, the GP de Montréal and the GP Foumies still to go.
Exciting! I think Ben1376 had the entire Giro podium, if I remember correctly.

For my part, I can safely conclude that the no Remco gamble absolutely didn't pay off. Also a lot of other mistakes which look very obvious in hindsight, like not picking Arensman.

Normally I would be really happy with a week where Girmay, Bagioli and Schmid manage third, third and sixth in WT one-day races, but Evenepoel's Vuelta renders it moot and there were so many other decently popular picks that had a good week regardless. Beating my 24th spot from last year is the best I can hope for, was definitely aiming higher when I was in sixth two months back but dry streaks are a part of the game.

Reactions: BR2
I am so angry at my riders who think of themselves or I don't know what first and only. What about me, Mr Pedersen, Mr Pidcock, Mr Cosnefroy? And what about Bagioli? Is he staying in Europe, too?

Edit: I'm not going to pick riders with such an flamboyant personality anymore.

Finally some points from Mas, and something like ~1700 total this week, so that should hopefully move me back up into the Top 10 again.

Still, unsure if Enric was a good pick or not. Without all the late crashes/dnfs he would probably have scored something like 500 points more, but that would still not really be a significant profit.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Normally I would say, that this was be a fantastic week. 4 riders top ten Vuelta, Aleotti and Girmay scoring solid in canada. Ewan also in France. I just calculated approximately 1570 points for this week.
But with 35 players having Evenepoel I don´t think that this will be a top placing for the week.

Last edited:
I think that's only the fourth time anyone's cracked 2000 points for the week.
Looks like we are about to get some new entries to this list. I am also at about 1570 points without Evenepoel, would not be shocked if like ten people break the barrier this week. Also means the below was way off:
Two years in a row that one of the most popular riders in the game wins the Giro, so every chance that we get the biggest weekly score of the season this update - Landa will be a prerequisite to win the week but the scoring at the Tour of Norway in particular will be high as well.
In addition, EITB will have a higher post-Vuelta score than Object (who was over 1000 points ahead) did last year, the all-time record is still a tall order but it will be interesting to see how high this year's winning score can go. If only someone had combined Evenepoel, De Lie and a good support cast...

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Update #35: A Record-breaking week in CQ land

With the end of the Vuelta, the return of the two Canadian WT races, and the truncated Tour of Britain, it was a big week in the CQ game. And with a dominant Evenepoel picked by about a third of teams, and a number of popular riders in the top 10 (as well as Roglic, who no one had, crashing out and therefore giving points to riders who moved up), it was the biggest week of all time, in fact! The former biggest week in the CQ game was 2146 points back in 2014 (I'm trusting the reference made here in the thread, I don't keep such meticulous records), and several teams flew by that this week. Let's have a look!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Object2551
2Crevaison2484
3Rakim2377
4skidmark2223
5repre2209

After a relatively anonymous year, defending game champ Object has another notch in the belt by setting the all-time weekly record for points. A staggering 2551 points were earned this week by their team. Of course, a necessary component of a winning team this week was always going to be Evenepoel and his 692 points, so he's the centrepiece. But even without Remco, Object would have earned over 1800 points, having 3rd (Ayuso, 343 points), 4th (Lopez, 275 points), 6th (Arensman, 280 points) and 10th (Hindley, 165 points) on the team. Beyond that, some underperforming riders came up big in other races for Object, with Pidcock (135 points from ToB), Ewan (130 for winning a 1.Pro race) and Bagioli (126 points in Canada) pulling it together this week.

Crevaison gets a relatively close second, and of course the second best weekly score ever in the CQ game. Their team has a very similar composition to Object's, with the only major difference being Mads Pedersen (265 points) instead of Aresnman. Rakim gets a fine third place (and, yes, third-best score ever as well) with the same collection of marquee names as Object save Bagioli.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1EvansIsTheBest350
2ray10325
3Rakim239
4Leadbelly213
518-Valve. (pithy)194

EvansIsTheBest is starting to pull away a little bit in this competition, adding another 16 points for 8th place on the week to extend the lead over ray10 to 25 points. Rakim gets 30 points and Leadbelly gets 14 points on the week to consolidate their already-held 3rd and 4th places respectively, although they would basically need to win 3 weeks and have EITB not score to come back at this point.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)16596
2(+2)Rakim15864
3(-)ray1015289
4(-2)MADRAZO15230
5(-)squire15043
6(+4)Bonimenier14857
7(-1)laarsland14820
8(-)NielsB14750
9(+8)repre14589
10(-3)Riverside14568

Speaking of it being difficult to catch frontrunners... EvansIsTheBest extends their lead on most of the nearest competitors, with only Rakim in the top 5 overall outscoring EITB this week. The lead now stands at over 700 points to second, and a whopping 1300 to third. The season isn't over, but things are looking good. Rakim jumps onto the podium at the expense of MADRAZO, and lower down repre enters the top 10 at the expense of Lortnoc falling out.

This week is guaranteed to not be as momentous in terms of CQ points (obviously), but there is the Tour of Luxembourg and a brace of three 1.Pro races and a few other 1.1s.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Looks like we are about to get some new entries to this list. I am also at about 1570 points without Evenepoel, would not be shocked if like ten people break the barrier this week. Also means the below was way off:

In addition, EITB will have a higher post-Vuelta score than Object (who was over 1000 points ahead) did last year, the all-time record is still a tall order but it will be interesting to see how high this year's winning score can go. If only someone had combined Evenepoel, De Lie and a good support cast...
Turns out you were right, exactly 10 teams went over 2000 points. There had 3 total instances of a team going over 2k points in the first 11 editions of the game. We've had 11 instances this year alone. Indeed, bminchow deserves a special shout out for doing it twice in a single year (during this Vuelta obviously but also after the Giro).

RankTeamPointsWeek
1Object2551Vuelta 2022
2Crevaison2484Vuelta 2022
3Rakim2377Vuelta 2022
4skidmark2223Vuelta 2022
5repre2209Vuelta 2022
6rote_laterne2160Vuelta 2022
7Ben13762146Giro 2014
8fauniera2101Giro 2014
9Bonimenier2100Vuelta 2022
10CQManager2063Tour 2015
11EvansIsTheBest2041Vuelta 2022
12Leadbelly2038Vuelta 2022
13bminchow2032Giro 2022
14bminchow2011Vuelta 2022

Concerning the all time record, I don't think anybody will get there this year. While teams especially Rakim's, could still overtake my lead in the overall if my team falls apart during the last weeks, I think that they are just too far back to get to 19372. I just don't see how it's realistic to expect someone to score 4k+ over the remaining races. I'm ahead of Object's pace last year but just barely and 2021 was super backloaded with covid pushing a bunch of races back, so frankly their team should end up in front of mine. Despite the second best post-Vuelta tally ever, I'm also way off skidmark 2012 post-Vuelta mark (17333) so I shouldn't top that team either.

With De Lie, that would have been much more achievable. But honestly I never really considered him. The one that got away is Sheffield. He was one of my last cuts and if he had made his way onto my team then I think that the race for the record would have been really interesting.

Nobody cares probably but today is the day my 2022 team became my best scoring team ever, surpassing the 16911 points of my 2012 team. Thanks to Ewan and Skjelmose for pushing the team over the line. Now back to stressing over the fact that Rakim's team has De Lie, Jakobsen and Ewan and will rack up a million points in all those Belgian one day races.

I present to you the currently mathematically ideal squad, sorted by their current 2022 scores.

RidersPriceValue
PEDERSEN Mads
589​
DE LIE Arnaud
57​
KRISTOFF Alexander
579​
HINDLEY Jai
137​
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
404​
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
311​
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
178​
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
431​
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
312​
ARENSMAN Thymen
178​
MEINTJES Louis
201​
KOOIJ Olav
249​
THOMAS Benjamin
185​
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
344​
PINOT Thibaut
207​
SIMON Julien
268​
GROENEWEGEN Dylan
287​
HERMANS Quinten
186​
SHEFFIELD Magnus
19​
HIRT Jan
158​
ZINGLE Axel
138​
SCHMID Mauro
156​
VAN GESTEL Dries
133​
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida
236​
LOUVEL Matis
248​
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
198​
TESFATSION Natnael Ocbit
115​
HOULE Hugo
185​
GROVES Kaden
67​
LEKNESSUND Andreas
184​
JUNGELS Bob
42​
VINE Jay
168​
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos
111​
Total

Some may doubt that the perfect roster only uses 7.261 of the budget but that is simply due to a lack of options. There is, for example, no single rider left that scored more points than Jungels yet costs 281 or less.
Evenepoel got surprisingly close to making the cut despite his hefty price tag.

Last edited:
I present to you the currently mathematically ideal squad, sorted by their current 2022 scores.

RidersPriceValue
PEDERSEN Mads
589​
DE LIE Arnaud
57​
KRISTOFF Alexander
579​
HINDLEY Jai
137​
404​
311​
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
178​
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
431​
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
312​
ARENSMAN Thymen
178​
MEINTJES Louis
201​
KOOIJ Olav
249​
THOMAS Benjamin
185​
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
344​
PINOT Thibaut
207​
SIMON Julien
268​
GROENEWEGEN Dylan
287​
HERMANS Quinten
186​
SHEFFIELD Magnus
19​
HIRT Jan
158​
ZINGLE Axel
138​
SCHMID Mauro
156​
VAN GESTEL Dries
133​
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida
236​
LOUVEL Matis
248​
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
198​
TESFATSION Natnael Ocbit
115​
HOULE Hugo
185​
GROVES Kaden
67​
LEKNESSUND Andreas
184​
JUNGELS Bob
42​
VINE Jay
168​
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos
111​
Total

Some may doubt that the perfect roster only uses 7.261 of the budget but that is simply due to a lack of options. There is, for example, no single rider left that scored more points than Jungels yet costs 281 or less.
Evenepoel got surprisingly close to making the cut despite his hefty price tag.
Appreciate the info, nice to see I have 12 riders from that team. I think there's an issue with Groenwegen though, his price wasn't his 2021 score because of his suspension so he shouldn't be on the list.

Reactions: Panda Claws
Thank you for the clarification! I actually messed up anyway. I did the calculation a bit differently and got a team with a bit over 25.000 points, which should at least be very close. I'll do it more carefully at the end of the season because it is easy to slightly mess this up and I am not 100% sure if the way I thought to do it is truly correct.

Last edited:
I often try to do a best possible team for the games I run, and if there is a mathematically sound way of being sure that any combination is the best possible, or excel function that assists, I haven't found it yet. Hakkie often used to better the team that I thought was the best possible (after the event, not in the team he submitted).

Brave to try to do it before theseason finishes though!

I did a bit of digging because I remember Skibby the bush kangaroo getting into detail of how he calculate the perfect team during the first few editions of the game. Turns out, he even gave the step by step instructions to figure it out: Skibby's R program. There's just a couple adjustments to make for it to work in 2022.

A couple remarks, there's a couple fixes for Rebellin and Konig that should be disregarded. They were implemented because their prices weren't what showed up in their previous year score (but it does spell out how to "fix" Groenewegen price for 2022). There's also the starting assumption that the perfect team is composed exclusively from riders in the top1000 scoring for the year. This saves a lot of computation and is perfectly reasonable since the 1000th rider scores around 30 points total for the year so there's really no way that anybody falls through the cracks.

The WC are my third favorite race of the year and hopefully multiple riders from my team will feature in the final:
EVENEPOEL Remco
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
BAGIOLI Andrea
BATTISTELLA Samuele
TULETT Ben
HINDLEY Jai

I cleaned up skibby's code to get the optimal team (based on monday's update) for those interested.
EVENEPOEL Remco
VLASOV Aleksandr
PEDERSEN Mads
DE LIE Arnaud
HINDLEY Jai
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
ARENSMAN Thymen
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias