• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good week for me. Plapp getting the absolute best he could in UAE with Tiberi going into profit there to boot, some nice points from Gregoire and Strong (and of course Alaphilippe) in France, and opening weekend didn't do too much for this game with the scoring done by barely-picked riders and the popular Pidcock (who I also have).

Opening weekend is on the horizon!

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite/Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne
ASGREEN Kasper
MARIT Arne
MILAN Jonathan
PIDCOCK Thomas (Only Omloop)
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
MIHKELS Madis (Only K-B-K)
DEKKER David (Only K-B-K)

Keeping my expectations low, right now. I think it could go either way. It would be nice if IGC scored some points, as he is my unique pick.

Faun-Ardèche Classic/Faun Drôme Classic
FISHER-BLACK Finn
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
BAGIOLI Andrea
VAN WILDER Ilan
GRÉGOIRE Romain
MARTINEZ Lenny
SIMMONS Quinn
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich

Looks promising. Will be pretty disappointed, if this doesnt go well.

Very good week in the end with Plapp also finishing 2nd in the UAE Tour!

Two races coming up midweek before the big one next weekend!

Le Samyn
ASGREEN Kasper
MIHKELS Madis
VAN UDEN Casper
DEKKER David

Would be nice if Mihkels could start showing something. It is a pretty weak field here and a good performance would be welcome. Make me feel a little bit better about the pick. The same goes for Van Uden.

Trofeo Laigueglia
PICCOLO Andrea
HAYTER Leo
MARTINEZ Lenny
GRÉGOIRE Romain

Should be a race very well suited to Piccolo. Question is his form atm. A good performance would be welcome. Grégoire looks like a solid pick. Unless he got too tired in the wind today in France it should be a race thats suits him as well. Martinez looks very capable also. Hayter hasnt showed much yet.

Startlist still missing a lot of names, maybe someone more could still be added.

Last edited:
Rui Costa is probably vying for the honor of the most lol rider in this games' history. By the end of February, he has already all but doubled his not insignificant score from last year, he is up there in every race he rides and gets wins or honorary placings all over the place and tonight he will be just one point short of the overall lead in the CQ ranking, but alas, nobody saw it coming, so exactly 0 players picked him.
Rui Costa definitely is the early contender of the year for best pick nobody saw coming. All time though I still have to give the nod to Marco Canola in 2017. Price: 123, Score: 905. How absurd was his season ? He was 28 years old when the season began, going into his sixth professional season and he had topped out at 221 points previously. In fact even adding all his points up to that point (677) you still fall well short of his 2017 total. Also in 2016, the only races where he got more than 10 CQ points where something called the Philadelphia Cycling Classic and the Winston-Salem Classic. Literally the most WTF season in the history of the game.

That could actually be an interesting idea for a statistic. The "We are all *** idiots!" statistic. The 33 highest scoring riders that nobody picked.
If someone reminds me at the end of the year I could compute an optimal team of riders no one picked (looking at just highest scoring riders nobody picked you'll get the Pogacars and Van Aerts of this world which isn't super interesting).

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
Rui Costa definitely is the early contender of the year for best pick nobody saw coming. All time though I still have to give the nod to Marco Canola in 2017. Price: 123, Score: 905. How absurd was his season ? He was 28 years old when the season began, going into his sixth professional season and he had topped out at 221 points previously. In fact even adding all his points up to that point (677) you still fall well short of his 2017 total. Also in 2016, the only races where he got more than 10 CQ points where something called the Philadelphia Cycling Classic and the Winston-Salem Classic. Literally the most WTF season in the history of the game.

Fair enough, but he is a small name. You can't exactly say that about Rui Costa.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Decent enough week with sizeable contributions from Gaudu, Alaphilippe, Pidcock, Gregoire and Simmons. The two French races worked out well. Pidcock was only rider to pick up serious in OHN. KBK and UAE scored very few, but was not expecting much tbf.

Decent enough week with sizeable contributions from Gaudu, Alaphilippe, Pidcock, Gregoire and Simmons. The two French races worked out well. Pidcock was only rider to pick up serious in OHN. KBK and UAE scored very few, but was not expecting much tbf.

Same for me, but replace pidcock with Politt :)
Had Ewan and Vine for UAE, so expectations were a bit higher.

Le Samyn:
STUYVEN Jasper - Looked okay this weekend, so could do well against a bit weaker field

Trofeo Laigueglia:

KWIATKOWSKI Michal
GREGOIRE Romain
VAN EETVELT Lennert

Curious to see how the youngsters perform, both had some nice results already.

Trofej Umag:
CHRISTEN Jan - First road race of the season for him, not sure what to expect.

Hmmm,
first two months are over in this game and I am still waiting for my not so popular picks (popularity under or equal to 25) to breakthrough.

C. Rodriguez - Scored ok in Valencia and Andalucia, but could still be more for his price
Ayuso - Hoping desperately for his start
JOHANNESSEN - Same like Ayuso with the difference that he already started and had to DNF
Tulett - Showed potential in Etoile and scored in Jaén Paraiso Interior, but had been dissapointing in UAE
Storer - first good signs of him in UAE with 12th overall
KWIATKOWSKI - Hmm, rode like a dom a lot in his first races, hopefully he can ride for his own in the upcoming one day races. His schedule is not bad to score..
Padun - seems to become a wasted pick
M. Vacek - showed some promising performances, let´s see how he will score in the rest of the season
VAN UDEN - Seems to need a bit more time to be able to deliver
L. Hamilton - Wasn´t bad in Australia, but it´s possible that he has to ride for Yates in the mayority of his races, which means not many points..
I. Arrieta - Until now not too bad, but last year he scored more in Gran Camino
C. Bol - Seems to be a good pick, ok he has to ride for Cavendish at times, but it seems that he will also get his own chances.
G. Steinhauser - Showed some first good signs in UAE (also scored a few points), so I am looking forward..
E. Herzog - Hasn´t started his season yet

Last edited:
That could actually be an interesting idea for a statistic. The "We are all *** idiots!" statistic. The 33 highest scoring riders that nobody picked.
It might be possible to improve on it, but from last year's game, I can find a "Collective Ignorance" team that would have fallen just outside the top ten fifteen:

costpoints scoredprofit
VAUQUELIN Kévin54618564
VAN GESTEL Dries133663530
ROTA Lorenzo470915445
HIRT Jan158587429
SIMON Julien268685417
DUJARDIN Sandy3401398
TURNER Benjamin LAURANCE Axel19 20372 301353 281
CAPIOT Amaury299648349
LOUVEL Matis248594346
KAMP Alexander35352317
POZZOVIVO Domenico236550314
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos111423312
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida236527291
HOULE Hugo185470285
ALBANESE Vincenzo267546279
DE BONDT Dries186456270
TEUGELS Lennert74343269
MARCHAND Gianni138395257
PACHER Quentin189407218
MOZZATO Luca380595215
REICHENBACH Sébastien193392199
SKUJINS Toms309501192
ZANA Filippo358515157
BURGAUDEAU Mathieu225378153
CLARKE Simon238380142
SARREAU Marc236374138
THEUNS Edward302436134
BAUHAUS Phil337449112
POLANC Jan295406111
GILBERT Philippe299410111
TRATNIK Jan326426100
ALLEGAERT Piet374474100
BOUWMAN Koen30740497
Total7488916092218604 8532

Last edited:
Hmmm: I think Turner was chosen a few time as "TURNER Ben", and subsequently changed to "TURNER Benjamin" by CQ towards the end of the season (they have subsequently changed him back). I hope that his teams weren't deprived of 372 points in last year's game.

So I will edit the table above and put Axel Laurance in his place instead: still a roll of collective shame for us.

@Armchair cyclist, I think you missed a couple of the more expensive guys that weren't picked including Vingegaard who had a very decent argument for best pick everybody passed on last year.

VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas
LAPORTE Christophe
ROTA Lorenzo
TEUNS Dylan
BARGUIL Warren
HOFSTETTER Hugo
SIMON Julien
VAN GESTEL Dries
CAPIOT Amaury
VAUQUELIN Kévin
LOUVEL Matis
HIRT Jan
POZZOVIVO Domenico
ALBANESE Vincenzo
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida
HOULE Hugo
DE BONDT Dries
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos
PACHER Quentin
DUJARDIN Sandy
MARCHAND Gianni
CHARMIG Anthon
KAMP Alexander
TEUGELS Lennert
GATE Aaron
LAURANCE Axel
MONIQUET Sylvain
DYBALL Benjamin
PETIT Adrien
NOVAK Domen
PAGE Hugo
KREDER Raymond
SCARONI Christian
Score: 18202
Price: 7483

That team would have finished comfortably in second place. It's still far away from the best optimal team (29036). Only Vauquelin, Kamp, Dujardin and Van Gestel crack that team as well.

Reactions: Armchair cyclist
Sadly human nature to focus on the picks you missed, rather than the good picks you made!
This is why January (post reveal & discussion) and February are the worst months of this game for me. I have usually considered so many riders that some of the ones I didn't pick are bound to have great results in the early season, which makes me feel really bad for leaving them out. Things are getting a bit better now though, as a lot of my actual picks also have started their season. Looking at a pretty decent week, I think.
@Armchair cyclist, I think you missed a couple of the more expensive guys that weren't picked including Vingegaard who had a very decent argument for best pick everybody passed on last year.

VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas
LAPORTE Christophe
ROTA Lorenzo
TEUNS Dylan
BARGUIL Warren
HOFSTETTER Hugo
SIMON Julien
VAN GESTEL Dries
CAPIOT Amaury
VAUQUELIN Kévin
LOUVEL Matis
HIRT Jan
POZZOVIVO Domenico
ALBANESE Vincenzo
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida
HOULE Hugo
DE BONDT Dries
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos
PACHER Quentin
DUJARDIN Sandy
MARCHAND Gianni
CHARMIG Anthon
KAMP Alexander
TEUGELS Lennert
GATE Aaron
LAURANCE Axel
MONIQUET Sylvain
DYBALL Benjamin
PETIT Adrien
NOVAK Domen
PAGE Hugo
KREDER Raymond
SCARONI Christian
Score: 18202
Price: 7483

That team would have finished comfortably in second place. It's still far away from the best optimal team (29036). Only Vauquelin, Kamp, Dujardin and Van Gestel crack that team as well.
This is a perfect illustration of how hard it is to hit those high scorers in French, Belgian and Italian races who can be so profitable. The whole team is full of those riders! But it doesn't keep me from trying every year!

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Awful UAE, with Lutsenko disappearing on the last day after being well-placed for the second race in a row. Probably not going to get too many easier points opportunities this year. And Ewan will be lucky to reach parity if he can't sprint in a bunch anymore.

Could have done without Waerenskjold crashing in Algarve and so missing La Samyn tomorrow. Exactly the type of race I picked him for, but still some chances with:

Kragh Andersen
Van Uden
Page
Vacek
Mikhels
Pedersen

Update #8: Squire on Fire

Opening weekend has come and gone, with Het Nieuwsblad kicking off the WT season in Europe. And with it (as well as a 1.Pro win for the most popular rider in the game) there was an uptick in scores this week.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Squire770
2Blues in the bottle740
3zaka_fan698
4Rufs672
5Jakob747668

Squire hit big with a few riders this week, and it paid off, leading to 770 points. The biggest contributors to this were Lucas Plapp (164 points, 13 teams), Julian Alaphilippe (140 points, 97 teams) and David Gaudu (136, 12) breaking triple digits, and deep cut pick William Junior Lecerf (94, 3) breaking out in Rwanda. Blues in the bottle has a great week as well which ends up with 2nd place, thanks largely to Plap/Ala as well, but also good support from Sepp Kuss (97, 9), Tom Pidcock (70, 76) and Nils Politt (54, 5). zaka fan rounds out the top 3, not quite cracking 700 thanks to a similar cast at the top.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Rufs(+31)
2rote_laterne(+23)
3Londonpat(+21)
418-Valve. (pithy)(+20)
5vsd88(+19)

A different looking lineup in this ranking, with Rufs the only repeat name going from 4th on the first ranking to 1st on this one, moving up almost a third of the ranking (Alaphilippe/Plapp/Pidcock/Kuss). rote laterne moves up a handsome 23 spots, while Londonpat rounds out the podium by moving up 21 spots.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1bminchow137.3
2Jakob747122.3
3Blues in the bottle109.5
4zaka_fan88.3
5DJW75

Lots of movement at the top this week, with Jakob747 scoring 22 points (5th overall this week) to move within striking distance of first place, Blues in the bottle getting 35 to cross 100 total, and zaka fan scoring 30 to get up to 4th on the ranking.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)bminchow2530
2(-)Jakob7472262
3(+1)zaka_fan2178
4(+5)Blues in the bottle2079
5(-2)firefly33232042
6(-1)Poles & Co1991
7(+11)Squire1942
8(+5)ray101897
9(+2)adamski1011872
10(-3)tobydawq1834

bminchow's lead becomes a little less unassailable this week, finishing 'only' 22nd in points for the week and losing 130-200 points on the closest competitors in the game. Blues in the bottle takes a big step up to just off the podium, and Squire and ray10 move into the top 10 at the expense of DJW and zigzag wanderer who fall out.

This week is a bit quieter on the stage race front, although the first two stages of Paris-Nice are lurking on the weekend, while Laugueglia serves as a mid-week appetizer for Strade Bianche this weekend.

spreadsheet at dropbox

TRENDING THREADS