• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was so pissed off when UAE send yesterday Almeida to chaise Caruso for other UAE GC riders, but will not complain about outcome...

btw should we worry about Asgreen already?

Schachmann not very good either.

Ben Hermans is another one who has suffered from fatigue and long-post covid.

Kwiatkowski has never really been the same either after he had similar problems with fatigue a few years ago now. He has been able to make some results afterwards, but not close to his level prior to 2019 though.

Tour of Taiwan starts tomorrow, and the competition looks about as "good" as I hoped for! :)

Prades has won this before, so some decent points would be nice.
But will he survive stage 3? He (and the others) need wings to get over those ramps.

2023_132_4.jpg

Have pretty much lost faith in my non-popular expensive riders this year, and my own selection process. Had Gregoire and Strand last season, but dropped them as I 'fancied a change'. As with Ciccone who looks like having his first issue-free season for a while, after I've had him for the last two.

The game is effectively over for me as a competition after Roglic's debut, but will carry on contributing. Good luck to those who have him and commiserations to those with Ayuso, who seems to have continuing issues?

Update #10: Huge shakeup in the standings as YellowKnight wins the week

Well, the Roglic bomb has exploded across the CQ game. Picked by 57 teams at a cost of 1240 points, the man who looked like potentially the most consequential pick of the game in the pre-season made a decisive case in favour of that idea this week, dominating Tirenno-Adriatico and recouping 507 points towards his cost in one fell swoop. Oh, and there was a whole other set of placings in that high level WorldTour race. Oh and also Paris-Nice.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Yellow Knight1234
2NorthAmericanScum1177
3Whoops1175
4HoudiniCycling1149
5will101128

1000 point weeks aren't the most common thing in this game, but 6 teams cleared the bar in this early March week. YellowKnight tops them all with 1234 points, thanks largely to 3 huge hauls from expensive riders - the aforementioned Roglic of course, but also another performance that was quite impressive despite being overshadowed by the Slovenian dominance of the week was David Gaudu (317 points, 12 teams) with a career best performance, dropping the reigning TdF champ a few times. Joao Almeida (222 points, 15 teams) was typically solid as well, helping YellowKnight to the win along with Filippo Ganna (83 points, 7 teams).

NorthAmericanScum ended up just over 50 points back with the same big trio but no Ganna, while Whoops got third place with Roglic/Gaudu and notable performances by Gino Mader (144, 11), Jack Haig (70, 44) and Aurelien Paret-Peintre (70, 12).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1NorthAmericanScum(+60)
2Yellow Knight(+49)
3Senderos(+46)
4HoudiniCycling(+37)
5Amis_Velo(+35)

I think I made a comment in a recent update to the effect of "now that the season is underway we won't see any really crazy moves in this ranking". Oops. The top 2 are flipped in this ranking from the Top Scorers, with NorthAmericanScum moving up an enormous 60 places! Senderos rounds out the podium of this ranking.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1bminchow137.3
2Jakob747122.3
3Blues in the bottle109.5
4rote_laterne95.5
5zaka_fan88.3

None of the top 5 teams scored this week, which means that some teams who haven't been high in the weekly rankings were high this week. Which suggests that the overall table could see some significant shakeup...

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)bminchow3184
2(+7)tobydawq3141
3(+26)Whoops3105
4(+11)Crevaison3074
5(+2)Blues in the bottle3066
6(+2)adamski1013063
7(+3)DJW3020
8(+32)will102946
9(+5)AlfaLum2929
10(+37)HoudiniCycling2911

bminchow remains a calm sea of non-movement atop the volatile standings, but the several-hundred point lead has all but evaporated for the non-Roglic-haver. tobydawq jumps up to #2 a mere 43 points back, and Whoops flies up the standings to get within 100 as well. Some enormous leaps here, with Whoops, Crevaison, will10, AlfaLum and HoudiniCycling all moving into the top 10 at the expense of zaka fan, Squire, Jakob747, Poles & Co, and ray10, who tumble out.

This week the focus shifts to one-day races, with no fewer than 8 1-day races ranked .1 and above, culminating in the opening of Monument season with Milan-San Remo on Saturday.

spreadsheet at dropbox

As expected, not many points in Le Samyn. Asgreen unfortunately crashed out, but is so popular it doesnt really matter. Mihkels and Van Uden need more time, but hopefully improves during the season.

Grégoire is great and Piccolo scored some points as well, keep it going.

My team was 6th in the last update, so just shy of getting mentioned.

Great weekend ahead with one of the first real highlights of the year in SB and then there are more races ahead!

Strade Bianche
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich
GRÉGOIRE Romain
PIDCOCK Thomas
TULETT Ben
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
BAGIOLI Andrea
BRENNER Marco
SIMMONS Quinn

Decent line-up, but not comparable to some that has been posted already. Would be a bit disappointed not to see anyone out of these riders finish in the top 10.

Grand Prix Criquielion/Grote prijs Jean - Pierre Monseré
VAN UDEN Casper
MIHKELS Madis

Type of races they will hopefully start to score points in sooner rather than later. GP Criquielion has been upgraded from 1.2 to 1.1, so a few more points up for grab there.

Paris-Nice
MILAN Jonathan
SCHACHMANN Maximilian
PICCOLO Andrea
SIVAKOV Pavel
DE GENDT Aimé
MARIT Arne
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
ASGREEN Kasper
DEKKER David

Hopefully Sivakov could be able to score some GC-points. Schachmann has won this race twice, but it will be very difficult this time around and with his troubles in the past year. It is not really that important for the game how he does, when he is that popular, but a good performance would be nice to see. Maybe the others could score some points going for stages.

Tirreno-Adriatico
PIDCOCK Thomas
KELDERMAN Wilco
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
BAGIOLI Andrea
SIMMONS Quinn
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich

Startlist not completed, so a few riders could still be added, but current line-up is good. Quality over quantity. Most eager to see how Kelderman does here. Would be nice if he could be off to a good start.

Ooff. Not a good turn out at all for my team, especially in P-N and T-A. Lost some ground in the rankings. Oh well, thats part of the game sometimes.

One positive thing is that Sivakov looks like a solid pick. Shame with Kelderman who was in such a good position to score many points in his first race for JV, but the inevitable happened and he crashed.

Some upcoming races to look forward to:

Milano - Torino
ALEOTTI Giovanni
HERMANS Ben
VAN UDEN Casper
DE GENDT Aimé

Maybe Van Uden could get something here. He is the one that could be able to score some points in this race, when it will most likely be a sprint in the end (which still feels weird for this race).

Danilith Nokere Koerse
NYS Thibau
MIHKELS Madis

First race for Nys this season and hopefully he will be off to a good start. Mihkels could be there as well, but he is still getting the hang of it seems like.

Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut
MARIT Arne
DEKKER David
NYS Thibau

Hopefully someone could have a good race.

Bredene Koksijde Classic
MIHKELS Madis
DEKKER David
NYS Thibau

Nys will have a busy three days it seems like. Wonder if he will really race three days in a row, but if he hits the ground running could be into profit immediately.

Milano-Sanremo
MILAN Jonathan
PICCOLO Andrea
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich
PIDCOCK Thomas
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
ASGREEN Kasper
ALAPHILIPPE Julian

There will probably be some more riders added to this list leading up to the weekend. IGC winning a reduced bunch sprint, would be nice. Should I buy my lottery ticket now?

Last edited:
Have pretty much lost faith in my non-popular expensive riders this year, and my own selection process. Had Gregoire and Strand last season, but dropped them as I 'fancied a change'. As with Ciccone who looks like having his first issue-free season for a while, after I've had him for the last two.

The game is effectively over for me as a competition after Roglic's debut, but will carry on contributing. Good luck to those who have him and commiserations to those with Ayuso, who seems to have continuing issues?
Lol, even worse than expected with 94th on the week and a drop of 41 places. Couldn't even win most dramatic collapse as someone pipped me with 42.

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq and BR2
Primoz, my saviour. You won't make my team jump to the top, but you might keep it from falling to the bottom.

I have quite a lot of riders for the smaller races this week

Milano-Torino: Fabbro, De Bod, Hermans
Nokere Koerse: Svrcek, Ackermann, Vacek, Askey, Flynn, Mihkels
Denain: Askey, Rex, Vacek
Koksijde: Ackermann, Svrcek, Mihkels, Rex, Vacek
Loire Atl: Askey, Froidevaux

who might score me a few minor points.

MSR looks terrible so far for me. How's the forecast? I'm okay with some rain and wind and the riders refusing to race...

Update #10: Huge shakeup in the standings as YellowKnight wins the week

Well, the Roglic bomb has exploded across the CQ game. Picked by 57 teams at a cost of 1240 points, the man who looked like potentially the most consequential pick of the game in the pre-season made a decisive case in favour of that idea this week, dominating Tirenno-Adriatico and recouping 507 points towards his cost in one fell swoop. Oh, and there was a whole other set of placings in that high level WorldTour race. Oh and also Paris-Nice.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Yellow Knight1234
2NorthAmericanScum1177
3Whoops1175
4HoudiniCycling1149
5will101128

1000 point weeks aren't the most common thing in this game, but 6 teams cleared the bar in this early March week. YellowKnight tops them all with 1234 points, thanks largely to 3 huge hauls from expensive riders - the aforementioned Roglic of course, but also another performance that was quite impressive despite being overshadowed by the Slovenian dominance of the week was David Gaudu (317 points, 12 teams) with a career best performance, dropping the reigning TdF champ a few times. Joao Almeida (222 points, 15 teams) was typically solid as well, helping YellowKnight to the win along with Filippo Ganna (83 points, 7 teams).

NorthAmericanScum ended up just over 50 points back with the same big trio but no Ganna, while Whoops got third place with Roglic/Gaudu and notable performances by Gino Mader (144, 11), Jack Haig (70, 44) and Aurelien Paret-Peintre (70, 12).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1NorthAmericanScum(+60)
2Yellow Knight(+49)
3Senderos(+46)
4HoudiniCycling(+37)
5Amis_Velo(+35)

I think I made a comment in a recent update to the effect of "now that the season is underway we won't see any really crazy moves in this ranking". Oops. The top 2 are flipped in this ranking from the Top Scorers, with NorthAmericanScum moving up an enormous 60 places! Senderos rounds out the podium of this ranking.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1bminchow137.3
2Jakob747122.3
3Blues in the bottle109.5
4rote_laterne95.5
5zaka_fan88.3

None of the top 5 teams scored this week, which means that some teams who haven't been high in the weekly rankings were high this week. Which suggests that the overall table could see some significant shakeup...

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)bminchow3184
2(+7)tobydawq3141
3(+26)Whoops3105
4(+11)Crevaison3074
5(+2)Blues in the bottle3066
6(+2)adamski1013063
7(+3)DJW3020
8(+32)will102946
9(+5)AlfaLum2929
10(+37)HoudiniCycling2911

bminchow remains a calm sea of non-movement atop the volatile standings, but the several-hundred point lead has all but evaporated for the non-Roglic-haver. tobydawq jumps up to #2 a mere 43 points back, and Whoops flies up the standings to get within 100 as well. Some enormous leaps here, with Whoops, Crevaison, will10, AlfaLum and HoudiniCycling all moving into the top 10 at the expense of zaka fan, Squire, Jakob747, Poles & Co, and ray10, who tumble out.

This week the focus shifts to one-day races, with no fewer than 8 1-day races ranked .1 and above, culminating in the opening of Monument season with Milan-San Remo on Saturday.
spreadsheet at dropbox

Oh yeah!

If only Bettiol hadn't crashed in Strade...

Phew. Survived the Roglic onslaught to last another week. I'd like to say I'll expand my lead this week, but there is nothing to indicate that. Unless I get lucky with Honore in San Remo.

Milano - Torino
Cees Bol
VAN UDEN Casper

Maybe Van Uden could get something here. He is the one that could be able to score some points in this race, when it will most likely be a sprint in the end (which still feels weird for this race). Bol is probably their number three sprinter so... No.

Danilith Nokere Koerse
MIHKELS Madis

Mihkels could be there as well, but he is still getting the hang of it seems like.

Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut
DEKKER David
That's it brother

Bredene Koksijde Classic
MIHKELS Madis
DEKKER David

Mihkels could really help me here. This is where we find out if he and Dekker have anything to offer this year.

Milano-Sanremo
HONORÉ Mikkel Frølich
PIDCOCK Thomas
ALAPHILIPPE Julian

Can they go 1-2-3 for me (and many others)? I doubt it.

Reactions: Salvarani