• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks for the update! Looks like it includes todays stage in TDS? At least I scored 10 points for Pavel Bittner, so this weeks update seems to include Monday.
The update does include Monday's stage of the TDS. It's usually 50/50 as to whether monday results get tabulated in the right week or the earlier update. I guess I didn't notice because the guys that scored on that stage didn't really feature on the teams that made the update.

Reactions: vladimir
Can't decide if I'm enjoying Schelling's attritional approach to being a very good pick?

And while the TDS is a disaster, do have four riders in the top ten of the Belgium Tour going into tomorrow's decisive stage (Vacek, Pedersen, Waerenskjold and Hermans). Blind optimism is never too far away in this game ?

My team has been clawing it's way back to respectability from the bottom of the rankings for a few weeks now. If Ayuso keeps scoring like that, I might even be able to aim a little higher.

Cool to see my 2022 team sweep the Suisse GC podium.

With Suisse, Occitanie, Belgium and Slovenia it should be a fun update.

At one point I actually started to believe my team wouldn't finish last, but I think it's all over after this week. First I lose 3 riders, including Bizkarra, in a crash on the first stage of Occitanie, and then today I lost three other Euskaltel riders who were on their way to points in Slovenia. I feel for all these riders, and the same obviously goes for Bilbao (and Landa).

Reactions: MADRAZO
Update #24

This update is obviously dedicated to Gino Mäder. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends in this difficult time.

This Week's Top Scorers

Typically teams that perform well during the Dauphiné don't score quite as high during the Tour de Suisse due to the conflicting schedules. Well Eddy Evenepoel made a mockery of that rule by topping his second place last week with a win this time around, breaking 1000 points in the process. His six man group of Ayuso, Van der Poel, Waerenskjold, L. Martinez, Uijtdebroeks and C. Perdersen all scored triple digits.

Mellow Velo is the other team to break the 1000 points barrier thanks in large part to the Ayuso/Skjelmose duo (and nice assists from Uijtedebroeks and Stuyven).

Waku waku completes the podium with a scoring headlined by Ayuso, Kelderman, Uijtdebroeks and L. Martinez. LosBrolin (Ayuso, Van der Poel, Uijtdebroeks, L. Martinez) places 4th. Trackstand had a very balanced team effort including Michael Woods and Yves Lampaert that haven't been mentioned yet.

RankTeamPoints this week
1Eddy_Evenepoel1151
2Mellow_Velo1039
3waku_waku977
4LosBrolin938
5trackstand925

Green Jersey Competition

Mellow Velo moves up to 11th while Earns1985 stretches their streak of top6 week to three but nothing that will trouble our solid leader.

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle226.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3zaka_fan153.3
4bminchow151.3
5escartin146

Highest Movers

Eddy Evenepoel with a 22 place jump and Mellow Velo with a 16 place rise both rocket up the rankings. PremierAndrew (Ayuso, L. Martinez, Lampert, Stuyven) and waku waku both climb 15 spots. In this turbocharged scoring week, no less than 4 teams tie for fifth place and a 14 place jump. LosBrolin and trackstand, DJ Sprtsch (Skjelmose, Pedersen and L. Martinez) and EvansIsTheBest (Ayuso, L. Martinez and Uijtedebroeks).

Top 10 Overall

Nobody in the top 10 scored particularly well with oliveira the best of the bunch clocking in at 24th for the week. That means that in spite of a lackluster week, Blues in the bottle is still a solid leader. Kazistuta gets some breathing room in second place while Riverside grabs the last podium spot. Oliveira and repre reenter the top 10 while will10 and AlfaLum drop out.

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle9464
2(-)Kazistuta8966
3(+3)Riverside8759
4(+4)jsem948667
5(+6)oliveira8602
6(-3)Sneekes8573
7(+5)repre8520
8(-3)Whoops8513
9(+1)HoudiniCycling8419
10(-3)tobydawq8407

This week is occupied by the national championships which is always a fun time to follow our picks across multiple simultaneous races. Stay tune to see if Blues' wobble turn into something more concerning. Can Kazistuta finally close the gap after months of chipping away at that lead ? Can skidmark (now all the way up to 13th) author another of their trademark late surge to become the first three time winner of the competition ? There's plenty of questions yet to be answered and plenty of time for teams to turn things around.

spreadsheet at dropbox

For fun here is what the top 5 would look like if we had entered the teams from previous editions:

Rank
2022 Team
11580​
2​
11432​
3​
11344​
4​
11135​
5​
11086​

Rank
2021 Team
10640​
2​
10540​
3​
9874​
4​
9790​
5​
9767​

Rank
2020 Team
10066​
2​
8828​
3​
8777​
4​
8236​
5​
7593​

Rank
2019 Team
8905​
2​
8750​
3​
8588​
4​
8518​
5​
8450​

Rank
2018 Team
8026​
2​
7160​
3​
7139​
4​
6903​
5​
6883​

Rank
2017 Team
8077​
2​
7076​
3​
6996​
4​
6838​
5​
6824​

Rank
2016 Team
5773​
2​
5620​
3​
5499​
4​
5413​
5​
5369​

Rank
2015 Team
5659​
2​
5250​
3​
5005​
4​
4921​
5​
4896​

Rank
2014 Team
4845​
2​
4043​
3​
4028​
4​
3970​
5​
3954​

Rank
2013 Team
4849​
2​
3897​
3​
3834​
4​
3821​
5​
3766​

Rank
2012 Team
4451​
2​
3535​
3​
3268​
4​
3091​
5​
3075​

Rank
2011 Team
2422​
2​
2273​
3​
2096​
4​
1965​
5​
1667​

Not sure why my name keeps popping up. I've apparently been really good at predicting the best riders of 2023 for every year except 2023.

Object in 2021 and myself in 2022 also won the competition in the year that actually counted for those teams so it would suggest that good teams tend to stay good for a while.

Some of those teams would crush all our 2023 entries although they would obviously have been way over budget (but also not exactly optimized for 2023 either).

Update #25: Scrooll goes into the winner's scrolls

Nationals week always feature the most spread out point distribution of the year with some riders getting rare chances to shine outside of domestique duties. So who came out on top ?

This Week's Top Scorers

Well scrooll07 that's who. They rode some popular picks (Asgreen, Ayuso, Tarling, M. Vacek, Stuyven...) but also some much rarer guys (Govekar, Watson, Bittner, Paleni, Costiou...) to top the charts. Mellow Velo goes for back to back second places with a more top heav approach (Wright, Skjelmose, Ayuso, Stuyven, Asgreen and Schachmann).

Armchair climber rounds out the podium with no less than 19 different riders scoring this week led by Fred Wright, Mathias Vacek and Marc Hirschi. Nyssinator and LosBrolin are the two other team to crack 600 points mainly on the back of their Wright/Ayuso combo.

Rank
Team
Points this week
1​
671​
2​
649​
3​
630​
4​
612​
5​
603​

Green Jersey Competition

Mellow Velo is now up to sixth, just 2 points outside the top 5 while LosBrolin climbs into the top10.

Rank
Team
Total
1​
226.5​
2​
184.5​
3​
153.3​
4​
151.3​
5​
146​

Highest Movers

Scrooll07 also tops the highest movers list with a impressive 15 place jump. Anderis is the only other double digit risers with Waerenskjold, Van der Poel and Simmons their more notable riders that haven't been mentioned yet.

Nyssinator and Mellow Velo feature in this list as well alongside Gotland (Wright, M. Vacek, Stuyven, Asgreen, Lutsenko, Schachmann) and Nevs (Wright, Van der Poel, Schachmann, Baroncini, Norsgaard, Tarling).

Rank
Team
Places gained
1​
+15​
2​
+10​
3​
+9​
4​
+8​
5​
+8​
6​
Nevs
+8​

White Jersey

Let's check on on our rookies before the start of the Tour de France. It's currently a two team race but AlfaLum looms in the background with waku waku ready to take advantage of any momentary lapse in scoring. Things are more interesting at the top when Blues in the bottle isn't allowed to participate.

Rank
Team
8999​
2​
8920​
3​
8725​
4​
8621​
5​
8383​

Top 10 Overall

Blues in the bottle stretches their lead by 80 or so points but falls just shy of breaking 10k before the start of the Tour. There wasn't a lot of movement in the top 10 with tobydawq the only team to fall out and being replaced by will10.

Rank
Team
9932​
2​
9356​
3​
9174​
4​
9123​
5​
9048​
6​
8999​
7​
8966​
8​
8961​
9​
8920​
10​
8820​

With the Tour de France on the horizon, it's definitely the calm before the storm. I haven't checked with skidmark if he's back for next week's update but just in case this my sign off for the year, I wish you all good luck the rest of way.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Leonard finally got some points!! At least now i can say i dont have any riders with zero points.

But what about TdF? Show us what you got!! What I have is a lot of starters, but I'm not sure how many points will come out of it.

ALAPHILIPPE Julian - i think he has form and could possibly win a stage
ASGREEN Kasper - Not sure where he gets his points. But no GC to support.
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley - Give him a chance to chase a stage? Maybe, if Carlos and Danny are not too high up in GC. or maybe he shoots for a top 15 GC
BOL Cees - Not likely
DINHAM Matthew - Climbing okay but will burn out pulling Simon
HAIG Jack - Support rider, but if Landa sucks, maybe he gets a chance in a breakaway
JOHANNESSEN Tobias Halland - Thought he was the man, but now it is Traeen.
KELDERMAN Wilco - Great form but obviously here for Jonas. Too bad.
MOSCON Gianni - Why is he even here? Is it in his contract maybe? get a young guy GC experience instead.
PIDCOCK Thomas - Should get at least one stage win. Can he beat MdVP?
SIMMONS Quinn - Great form so maybe a top 3 somewhere
TURNER Benjamin - Flat support for the climbers
WRIGHT Fred - He must be given free reign for a stage
YATES Simon - Finally, a GC candidate for the top 5. Come on Simon!!

Reactions: postmanhat
When a Gaudu who's only on 12 teams is probably the most interesting GC rider for this game, it seems highly likely that this will be the second year in a row where the Tour is by far the least impactful GT. Which is probably good news for me when you look at my lineup:
Jack Haig
Fred Wright
Egan Bernal
Tom Pidcock
Corbin Strong
Gianni Moscon
Julian Alaphilippe
Kasper Asgreen

Seven riders at the Giro and eight here, and that's with Haig doing both - given that all but two of my riders are on teams that raced both, it feels like my riders have an abnormally low rate of starting GTs this year. My expectations are nonexistent - the most I can hope for from my riders who actually matter for this game is probably Wright or Strong landing a win from the break, and even that would be unlikely to prevent me from sliding out of the top-20.

The median return for my riders is currently exactly 100%, which is rather satisfying. I'm quite lucky that lots of my crappy picks are in the sub-100 point range, where 8 of my 12 riders are still yet to break even - their combined negative profit is still less than half of Piccolo's, who is currently the main difference between me being in 17th and me being in the top 10.
Unless he suddenly turns it around in the coming weeks, Piccolo might be the biggest whiff I've ever had in this game in terms of his actual production vs my expectations at the beginning of the year. I've been playing for like 13 years so that is saying someting.

Reactions: postmanhat
The median return for my riders is currently exactly 100%, which is rather satisfying. I'm quite lucky that lots of my crappy picks are in the sub-100 point range, where 8 of my 12 riders are still yet to break even - their combined negative profit is still less than half of Piccolo's, who is currently the main difference between me being in 17th and me being in the top 10.
Am the opposite, as only 4 of my 18 most expensive riders are in profit. A decent Piccolo season might have seen me into the 70s :D

Tour

Pidcock
Lutsenko
Haig
Ewan
Strong
Simmons
Kragh
Asgreen
Moscon
Alaphillipe
Wright
Waerenskjold

Given that I wasn't really thinking of GTs when choosing riders, and how bad this team has been, this is as strong lineup as I could have hoped for. Potentially a lot of points from placings, if not stage wins, and the slight possibility of some GC results. Will make the Tour a lot more interesting than anticipated, which is why I mostly* love this game.

*Ewan in GT sprints

Not happy with the riders you have in the Tour? Make another team for it in the TdF GC game.

(or if you are happy with them, pick 8 of them within a 4000 point budget and put them to the test against others)

(Or don't worry about who you have selected in this game, and make a totally independent group for the TdF game, as it is a separate game really. Just remember to do it by Saturday morning)

Last edited: