• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There wasn't a lot of movement in the top 10 with tobydawq the only team to fall out and being replaced by will10.

I think the tone of this sentence misrepresents its magnitude :mad:

Anyway, 12 riders to the Tour, including nine of my 11 most expensive riders, is not all bad but I don't think they will score tons of points, either.

Simon Yates, Pidcock, Ewan, Kragh, Asgreen, Bernal, Alaphilippe, Haig, Kwiatkowski, Eenkhoorn, Bettiol, Moscon.

Eight riders for the TdF

Skjelmose
Lutsenko
Bernal
Pidcock
Alapilippe
Asgreen
Kragh Andersen
Dinham

I am quite happy with my riders, but will make another Tour team also of course.
DJ Sprtsch hasn't done that yet: I hope he will remember. And that lots more of you also remember.
8 riders, total CQ (as at 25 June) of 4000 points, PM to me by the time they get going in Bilbao tomorrow morning. If you need more details, they are here.
If you need more reminders, I will probably plague some of the race discussion threads this evening...

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
I think the tone of this sentence misrepresents its magnitude :mad:

Anyway, 12 riders to the Tour, including nine of my 11 most expensive riders, is not all bad but I don't think they will score tons of points, either.

Simon Yates, Pidcock, Ewan, Kragh, Asgreen, Bernal, Alaphilippe, Haig, Kwiatkowski, Eenkhoorn, Bettiol, Moscon.
This year a lot of team get bounced from the top 10 only to come right back up the following week so it's hard to make a huge meal out of someone dropping out when they'll probably be back in the next couple updates. I understand it's never nice to fall out of the top 10 (although I love to have that "problem" at the moment) but based on your TDF squad you should be back in no time at all.

This year a lot of team get bounced from the top 10 only to come right back up the following week so it's hard to make a huge meal out of someone dropping out when they'll probably be back in the next couple updates. I understand it's never nice to fall out of the top 10 (although I love to have that "problem" at the moment) but based on your TDF squad you should be back in no time at all.

I was not being entirely serious ;)

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
The Tour de France is bound to be my redemption arc after tumbling from 29th to 87th :hearteyes:

Team
BERNAL Egan: 36th in GC (37) -> 37
KWIATKOWSKI Michal: 8th on stage 10 (3), 1st on stage 13 (80), 49th in GC (22), 9th in Mountains Classification (2) -> 114
PIDCOCK Thomas: 4th on stage 2 (25), 5th on stage 13 (15), 13th in GC (120) -> 160
ALAPHILIPPE Julian: 10th on stage 10 (1), 33rd on GC (43) -> 44
ASGREEN Kasper: 1st on stage 18 (80), 87th in GC (20), 6th in Points Classification (10) -> 110
LAMPAERT Yves: 104th in GC (20) -> 20
VAN DER POEL Mathieu: 57th in GC (20) -> 20
GIRMAY Biniam: 3rd on stage 7 (35), 6th on stage 21 (10), 125th in GC (20) -> 65
SAGAN Peter: 8th on stage 11 (3), 127th in GC (20) -> 23
MOSCON Gianni: 135th in GC (20) -> 20
STUYVEN Jasper: 79th in GC (20) -> 20
DE LA CRUZ David: 10th on stage 9 (1) -> 1
RICKAERT Jonas: 114th in GC (20) -> 20

Total: 647 points

Compare that with the Giro crap squad
CATTANEO Mattia: 0 points
MOSCON Gianni: 15 points
ROGLIC Primoz: 671 points
CONTI Valerio: 15 points

Total: 701 points

Damn Roglic so OP

Last edited:

Update #26: Lafay magic dominates week as green jersey race heats up​

With just the first two stages of the Tour de France and the first stage of Tour of Austria on the menu this week (at least in races .1 and higher), this was one of the smallest updates of the year.

This Week's Top Scorers

This update was so small in fact that unique pick Victor Lafay would have pushed zaka_fan to the top spot on his own. Pidcock's fourth place therefore just served as additional padding on the lead.

With just one team in triple digits, tobydawq takes the second place thanks to Simon Yates, Pidcock and Heiduk. Will10 secures the last spot on the podium with the Yates/Pidcock combo and two one point scorers in David Gaudu and Finn Crockett (10th place in Midden-Brabant Poort Omloop, if you discovered the existence of that race by reading these lines know you are not alone).

Trackstand is fourth just one point back thanks to Pidcock/Woods/Ackermann. A few teams tie for fifth by combining Yates with either Woods or Pidcock to finish with 75 points on the week.

Rank
Team
Points this week
1​
115​
2​
80​
3​
77​
4​
76​
5​
75​
5​
DJW
75​
5​
75​
5​
75​

Green Jersey Competition

Zaka_fan grabs the full 45 points from the weekly win to slash Blues in the bottle lead and restore some sense of suspense to the competition. Bminchow grabs 19 points for his multi-way tie in fifth. Tobydawq rises to sixth in this classication (tied with Mellow Velo) thanks to a second place this week so it's starting to get crowded at the top.

Rank
Team
Total
1​
226.5​
2​
198.3​
3​
184.5​
4​
170.3​
5​
146​

Highest Movers

No real movement as you would expect from the low weekly scores. Zaka still gains 6 places and bminchow 5. Poles & Co (Pidcock, Ackermann, Heiduk), LaFlorecita (Ackermann, Pidcock, Gaudu) and trackstand all climb three spots.

Rank
Team
Up/Down
1​
+6​
2​
+5​
3​
+3​
3​
+3​
3​
+3​

Top 10 Overall

A couple teams swap places inside the top 10 but the overall composition stays the same. Blues in the bottle comes very close to breaking the 10000 point barrier.

Rank
Team
9957​
2​
9381​
3​
9199​
4​
9174​
5​
9073​
6​
9017​
7​
9000​
8​
8995​
9​
8986​
10​
8897​

A full week of Tour stages, the GC of the Tour of Austria and skidmark's return will bring more excitement to next week's update.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Although it´s too late for a top placing this year, I´m still satisfied, that my most expensive rarer picks (Rodriguez, Ayuso, Johannessen) in the end show their potential which are I saw in them, when I picked them.
Just pretty bad luck for this game, that all three had to fight with injuries during the first half of the season...

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Update #26: Squire has a moment

This week was the second week of Tour stages as well as the GC of two 2.1 races, so the scores were a bit higher than Update #25, but still relatively subdued as the Tour simmers towards the big GC points.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1Squire336
2DJ Sprtsch288
3laarsland279
4Joelsim273
5Jon_Ezeitza257

Squire is the only team to clear 300 points, winning with notable contributions from relatively rare pick Lennert Van Eetvelt (106 points, 20 teams), even rarer pick Jason Osborne (88 points, 5 teams) and medium-rarer(?) pick Caleb Ewan (85 points, 14 teams). DJ Sprtsch lands in second place with some very rare picks, with most of the week's points coming from Jhonathan Narvaez (188, 2) and Welay Berhe (65, 3). laarsland rounds out the podium thanks to Van Eetvelt and unique pick Matteo Badilatti (78 points).

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1Squire(+13)
2trackstand(+9)
3DJ Sprtsch(+8)
4laarsland(+7)
4Joelsim(+7)
4search(+7)

Squire doubles up, and DJ Sprtsch has double podium spots, with trackstand the interloper, getting 2nd on this ranking while their team was just outside the top 5 Top Scorers.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle242.5
2zaka_fan198.3
3rote_laterne184.5
4bminchow170.3
5Squire154.5
5ray10154.5

Some action on this ranking, as Squire's 45 points and ray10's 12 points on the week move them both into a tie for 5th place. Bad news for those hoping to close the gap on 1st place - Blues in the bottle continues to have great weeks, getting 16 points for 8th on the week, negating the tightening in this ranking last week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle10191
2(-)Kazistuta9401
3(+1)Sneekes9282
4(-1)Riverside9219
5(+2)Whoops9193
6(+2)HoudiniCycling9138
7(-1)jsem949137
8(-3)repre9133
9(-)oliveira9041
10(-)will108922

Some minor jostling for the lower places happened without anyone falling out of the top 10, while BITB casually increased their team's lead over 2nd place by 200ish points. Will anyone be able to close the now-over-800 point gap to 2nd place, and over-1200 point gap to 10th? Still a lot of racing, but that is a pretty hefty lead for this time of year...

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Last edited:
Update #26: Squire has a moment

Some minor jostling for the lower places happened without anyone falling out of the top 10, while BITB casually increased their team's lead over 2nd place by 200ish points. Will anyone be able to close the now-over-800 point gap to 2nd place, and over-1200 point gap to 10th? Still a lot of racing, but that is a pretty hefty lead for this time of year...
The three largest gap at the end of the competition were yourself in 2012 (1266 points), myself in 2022 (1077 points) and yourself again in 2016 (685 points). None of those teams were leading at the end of the Tour de France so there's plenty of historical precedents of late surges flipping the GC.

While BITB position is certainly the most comfortable right now, I would expect a bunch of Ayuso teams to eat up a good chunk of the gap in the coming weeks. It's actually going to be very interesting to see if their buffer is big enough.

Update #28: Top of the standings looking Blue

As often happens during the Tour, it was a fairly quiet week with mostly stage points from the TdF constituting the scoring in the CQ game. Those with riders scoring in the returning 2.PS Tour of Qinghai Lake had a pretty good advantage this week.

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1BlueRoads261
2Jon_Ezeitza260
3Basque Street Boys234
4RedheadDane208
5Earns1985195

BlueRoads ekes out a weekly win, largely thanks to rare pick Henok Mulubrhan (180 points, 2 teams) and Carlos Rodriguez (80 points, 8 teams), with 1 point by considerably more popular pick Julian Alaphilippe rounding out the scoring. Jon Ezeitza didn't have Mulubrhan but did have 180 points from unique pick Jonas Vingegaard (perhaps look out for this team on the next update) as well as Rodriguez, and amazingly only loses out this week by missing the most popular rider in the game. Another team notable for its rare picks, Basque Street Boys, lands in third thanks to varied contributions from Bilbao, Ion Izagirre, Joan Bou, Mikel Landa, and a rider named Ibai Azurmendi.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1BlueRoads(+10)
2RedheadDane(+7)
3Earns1985(+5)
4trackstand(+4)
4PandaClaws(+4)

BlueRoads doubles up, being the only team to move up double digits this week. ReadheadDane also made a good leap as the other team with Mulubrhan, and Earns1985 moves up 5 spots thanks to Rodriguez and Kwiatkowski.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle242.5
2zaka_fan198.3
3rote_laterne184.5
4bminchow170.3
5Jon_Ezeitza157

Jon Ezeitza's 35 points for second place vault their team into the top 5, but no scoring by teams higher up, so we're in a holding pattern with BITB at the top as usual.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle10257
2(-)Kazistuta9421
3(-)Sneekes9301
4(+1)Whoops9278
5(+2)jsem949239
6(-2)Riverside9235
7(-1)HoudiniCycling9181
8(+1)oliveira9156
9(-1)repre9155
10(-)will109025

Even in a low scoring week, Blues in the bottle couldn't resist extending their lead by scoring 66 points vs 20 and 19 for the other podium dwellers. Aside from that, a little bit of jostling in the non-podium places but of course the big difference will be made starting next week with the GC and final week points of the biggest race of the year.

spreadsheet at dropbox