• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My Giro lineup

Moscon
Milan

err

that's it
:( At least there'll be one team with less riders than me.

Moscon
Battistella
Haig

The first two have done nothing so far, and only included Haig as a reluctant, last-minute pick when I realised I didn't have any sort of GC team. Usually have a load of riders for The Giro, but it seems I'm not alone in having so few this year? I suppose most of us will be following Roglic's progress for entirely different reasons..

Last edited:
Reactions: firefly3323
:( At least there'll be one team with less riders than me.

Moscon
Battistella
Haig

The first two have done nothing so far, and only included Haig was a reluctant, last-minute pick when I realised I didn't have any sort of GC team. Usually have a load of riders for The Giro, but it seems I'm not alone in having so few this year? I suppose most of us will be following Roglic's progress for entirely different reasons..
I'm right there with you......

Kuss
Riccitello
Van Wilder

well, I'm pretty much hoping for 15 total points :disappointed:

Reactions: postmanhat
My Giro team is not so bad:
Roglic, Haig, van Wilder, Zambanini, De Bod, Mulubrhan, Rex, Conti, Ackermann
Most of them won't get any relevant points though. It all relies on Roglic and Haig who are both on many teams. If they don't crash or get sick they should at least get a decent amount of points.

Yemane in Greece, Askey, Grégoire, Flynn, Mihkels for Morbihan.
I really need some points after being 97th or something last week.

Giro
Van Wilder
Baudin
Moscon
Haig
Milan
Roglic

I’ve seen bigger teams in a GT… this team should hold up fairly well though, there just aren’t many popular picks starting.

Nothing in Hellas, nothing in Morbihan and currently only Rudy Barbier in TBL, this will probably be my lowest-scoring week of the season so far.
+ Gloag for the Giro (not that thrilled tbh, hasn't prepped for it, will be om domestique duty and it eats into his race days later in the season) and Grégoire in the French races (no idea how I missed him).

Pretty weak Giro team for me as well. Usually I build my team around it, but this year I built it around the Tout Down Under.
DEKKER David - Ugh
HAIG Jack - one of these days, a top ten again at a grand tour
MOSCON Gianni - Double Ugh
RICCITELLO Matthew - A breakaway day podium is in his very near future.
Van Wilder Ilan - Nope. Love him but all in for Remco
VINE Jay - Could be my hero this month :)

Grand Prix du Morbihan
BRENNER Marco
MIHKELS Madis - Everyone was talking this guy up, but I havent seen it

Tro-Bro Léon
Nada

And get out your sprinters for next week's Tour of Hungary

I have Roglic, Gloag, Dekker and Conti doing the Giro.

Here is how things are going to go down. Dekker will win five bunch sprints. Conti and Gloag will go in a breakaway on the first mountain stage. Gloag will take the stage and Conti will end up with the maglia rosa for 10 days before holding on for a top 10 at the end. Roglic wins the GC duel against Evenepoel. Then I wake up.

Reactions: rote_laterne2
Update #18: vsd88 visits top spot

The Giro barely under way, most of the points scored this week were actually provided by a couple of French one day races (with Tro Bro Léon as usual rating as one of the more exciting races of the season) and the last WT classic of the spring.

This Week's Top Scorers

Vsd88 comes out on top on the back of strong rides from Søren Kragh Andersen, Romain Grégoire, Nils Eekhoff and Jonathan Milan. Tobydawq responds to dropping out of the top 10 of the GC last week with a second place finish this time around with a fairly similar mix (Steinhauser instead of Eekhoff). Oliveira rounds out the podium mainly on the back of Leitão's victory in the Tour of Hellas. 161 points in a single week from an unique pick that only cost 20 is impressive any way you look at it.

RankTeamPoints this week
1vsd88498
2tobydawq442
3oliveira431
4DJW426
5JumboVismaFan399

Green Jersey Competition

No movement at the top of the green jersey competition although tobydawq and DJW both reenter the top 10 and are within a weekly win of the top 5.

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle204.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3bminchow151.3
4zaka_fan149.3
5escartin146

White Jersey Competition

This week, we'll debut the white jersey competition dedicated to the best rookie manager in the overall classification and we'll check in periodically for the rest of the year. I've done the best I could at tracking who has entered in prior years. Alias changes can sometimes make that difficult so let me know if your team is in and shouldn't be or if it's missing and it should be included.

With that disclaimer out of the way, Whoops is a solid leader here and an impressive 4th in the overall. With the likes of Roglic, Vine, Healy and Haig, they look well placed to fend off their challengers in the upcoming weeks.

RankTeamTotal
1Whoops5803
2HoudiniCycling5560
3Senderos5144
4AlfaLum4979
5waku_waku4893

Top 10 Overall

Will10 shaves nearly 300 points off Blues in the bottle's lead following a 6th place this week. Kazistuta uses a similarly strong showing to bump Whoops off the podium. DJW and tobydawq use their top 5 showing on the week to enter the top 10 of the GC with Crevaison and Object making way.

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle6576
2(-)will106118
3(+2)Kazistuta5916
4(-1)Whoops5803
5(-1)repre5773
6(+7)tobydawq5733
7(+5)DJW5719
8(-2)Riverside5710
9(-2)jsem945703
10(-2)Sneekes5352

This week most eyes will be on the Giro but the Tour de Hongrie might prove more decisive for the next update.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for taking over the updates EITB!

Dropped off the overall podium after a few low score weeks, but things are looking allright for the giro (even with Mader dropping out last minute).

Giro Team:
Roglic, Vine, Haig and maybe Paret-Peintre for GC, Healy as stage hunter. De Plus is also looking in great shape, so maybe he'll get a little bit of freedom to go into the break (maybe even today :smirk:)

DE PLUS Laurens
MOSCON Gianni
CATTANEO Mattia
HEALY Ben
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
HAIG Jack
VINE Jay
ROGLIC Primoz

Tour de Hongrie: Hoping for a sprint win from Ewan or Hodeg, Bernal and Hermans for GC?
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose
HERMANS Ben
EWAN Caleb
TARLING Joshua
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley

Tour du Finistère / Boucles de l'Aulne - Châteaulin:
GREGOIRE Romain

Grand Prix Herning / Fyen Rundt - Tour of Funen:
VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael

Hungary
Bernal
Plapp
Nys
Vacek
Walls
Onley
Fisher-Black

Well, that explains where my riders are rather than at the Giro. Not that many credible GC options here and I have about half of them. Will be very disappointed if I don't score heavily.

Finistère
Grégoire
R Barbier

 Aulne (incomplete startlist)
Grégoire

Two more opportunities for Grégoire to fight for that first pro win.

Hungary
Bernal
Plapp
Nys
Vacek
Walls
Onley
Fisher-Black

Well, that explains where my riders are rather than at the Giro. Not that many credible GC options here and I have about half of them. Will be very disappointed if I don't score heavily.

Finistère
Grégoire
R Barbier

 Aulne (incomplete startlist)
Grégoire

Two more opportunities for Grégoire to fight for that first pro win.
That couldn’t have gone too much worse, in fact I got more Giro stage points (i.e. Roglic and Milan) this week than I got out of Hungary from my non-Bernal riders. At least my Giro prospects are looking decent - Roglic has no Evenepoel to worry about, Van Wilder has no Evenepoel to slave away for, Milan is looking good for ciclamino and I also still have faith in Haig’s GC. COVID is a big threat, though.

Update #18: Olé, olé, oliveira

Like last week, some Giro stages and a couple of French one day races were among the main attractions of the last few days with a stage race in Hungary adding some spice.

This Week's Top Scorers

Oliveira was on the podium last week but does even better this time around by being the only team to crack 500 points courtesy of Tulett, Bernal, Penhoët, Groves and Milan. NielsB takes the second spot on the back of a Hirschi/Tulett double in Hungary (with the ubiquitous Bernal) plus a stellar ride of Paret-Peintre in Italy. Armchairclimber swaps Onley in for Paret-Peintre to take the last spot on the podium. Two time former winner skidmark takes fourth and AlfaLum finishes fifth with a similar core: Tulett, Bernal, Milan, Penhoët and Onley.

RankTeamPoints this week
1oliveira506
2NielsB492
3armchairclimber478
4skidmark467
5AlfaLum456

Green Jersey Competition

No movement in the top 15. Check in next week for a bigger shake up.

RankTeamTotal
1Blues in the bottle204.5
2rote_laterne184.5
3bminchow151.3
4zaka_fan149.3
5escartin146

Highest Movers

Armchairclimber, skidmark, AlfaLum and NielsB combine their top 5 on the week with a 15+ place surge in the GC. Fivezzz (led by Max Poole in this update) also climbs 15 spots.

RankTeamTotal
1skidmark+16
2armchairclimber+16
3AlfaLum+16
4NielsB+15
5Fivezzz+15

Top 10 Overall

The top 4 remains unchanged while DJW takes the 5th spot. Adamski101 replaces Riverside in the top 10.

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)Blues in the bottle6820
2(-)will106319
3(-)Kazistuta6199
4(-)Whoops6067
5(+2)DJW6055
6(+4)Sneekes6044
7(-2)repre5952
8(+1)jsem945951
9(+2)adamski1015575
10(-4)tobydawq5925

This week the Giro is in full flow while the 4 Jours de Dunkerque and a smattering of one day races will (hopefully) allow our teams to showcase their depth.

spreadsheet at dropbox

Happy to see that some of my guys are doing decently well at the moment. 12th in this update, I'll take that! Milan is looking even better than I expected before the season. Let's hope he gets some nice chances later in the season too.

Not liking the fact that Giro voodoo is in full force though. Everyone who can potentially finish ahead of Roglic in the Giro and deny him some points are dropping out. Giro GC update is gonna be a blow to us non-Roglicers I think.

Reactions: postmanhat
I am gradually sliding down the standings are my one week in the top 10, but at least Roglic is still standing and Ackermann won a stage.

I was regretting not picking TGH, especially as I had him last year and repeat picked several other riders, but I guess I am now OK with it as I would have been really not amused with what happened. that said, he may still come back later in the season and score loads of points.

TRENDING THREADS