• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Team submitted. Some random statistics: Riders from 19 different countries, Italy and Spain with 4 riders each. Average age 24,6 years based on CQ download from November so probably close to 25 now ;). No riders over 850 points and no riders below 30 points. So if there is a new Tarling amongst the zero pointers, I have certainly missed him. Good luck to everyone and looking forward to team reveal as always!

My team isn't fully ready, yet
It already is. And I like it more than my last year's team. It was surprisingly easy to complete, not many of "I would also really like to have this guy in my team but I'm out of budget/space" situations I often get in these games.

Not sending it yet to the game host, though, because it's still early, and there may be some news about injuries or other problems.

I haven't really had a problem finding riders but my problem is that I haven't followed the sport closely enough in the past years so I have no idea who many of the lesser known riders are and who is about to explode and who is a dud. So I'm mainly going by numbers, guesswork, feels and some patriotism.

I'm sure I'll end up missing out on some obvious choices that people will be picking but hopefully it will still be fun to follow the year and hopefully I'll have a better leg to stand on for next year.

I haven't really had a problem finding riders but my problem is that I haven't followed the sport closely enough in the past years so I have no idea who many of the lesser known riders are and who is about to explode and who is a dud. So I'm mainly going by numbers, guesswork, feels and some patriotism.

I'm sure I'll end up missing out on some obvious choices that people will be picking but hopefully it will still be fun to follow the year and hopefully I'll have a better leg to stand on for next year.
Glad to have you in this year. You are probably in the same boat as many of us. And this boat will stay afloat. I find myself hanging on to riders that are getting a little older. But i know their names and what they have done and they cant all be Sagan of the last 3 years.

Reactions: postmanhat
I have to say that this is really hard this year. It is quite frustrating. I came up with 33 names. i dont love it but dont want to spend another two weeks stressing out over this.

Some random statistics: Riders from 17 different countries, way too many of them are British. Average age 23.5 years based on CQ download from November so probably close to 24 now ;). No riders over 1100 points and no riders below 0 points.

Reactions: postmanhat
Drunkenly dropped my laptop on Christmas Eve, nacking it and losing unsaved files such as my longlist which was in Libre Office :rage:

Luckily, have three days off over New Years to make another one, though probably not with those riders I 'spotted' in a .1 race in March, and also not enough time to convince myself they will be game-changers, which they invariably aren't.

haha. I was wondering about that myself. I do wish there were a few more swedish riders though.
Ya, I don't know what's going on there. A lot of the last decent batch of Swedish riders including Thomas Löfkvist, Gustav Larsson, Fredrik Kessiakoff all came through a continental team called Team Crescent (later Team Bianchi Scandinavia) led by Tommy Prim but that was like 20 years ago now and since then it has been pretty dismal with only a pro here or there at times like Tobias Ludvigsson. The last swede to crack the top 200 in CQrankings was Fredrik Kessiakoff in 2012.

It's a shame really given the history that Sweden has in the sport.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
I submitted my team but doesn't feel very comfortable or optimistic with it. I picked a lot of riders I believe in but am not yet convinced they are worth my trust. It feels like last year there were more obvious picks. There are a lot of riders coming out of an disappointing year but not sure a lot of them will be able to bounce back.

My team is mostly Italian (6 riders) while I picked only one rider from my home-nation Germany. Most riders are from the 100-200 points margin (13 riders). A single zero-pointer is with me and only one rider above 700 points.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
I have to say that this is really hard this year. It is quite frustrating. I came up with 33 names. i dont love it but dont want to spend another two weeks stressing out over this.

Some random statistics: Riders from 17 different countries, way too many of them are British. Average age 23.5 years based on CQ download from November so probably close to 24 now ;). No riders over 1100 points and no riders below 0 points.
Yes, before I lost my longlist, remember thinking that there seemed to be fewer riders I was excited to follow than usual. Maybe because, as Anderis said, there's of lot of GC riders this year and am more of one-day fan? Will see how it looks as I put together a new one, and all my biases come into play when it comes to the final selections.

Re: cheaper riders - am I the only one who feels like the 100-200 range is particularly stacked this year? Stands out even more to me because I can’t find many options I like in the double digits and especially the 200s.
I didn't really have the same impression but I checked the spreadsheet with my last year's team and it turns out I indeed have more riders from the 100-200 range than last year, which surprised me a bit.