• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Andrea Bagioli Thread - Just In Case The Other Bag Thread Ever Gets Full

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really disappointed in this news, but certainly the writing was on the wall. Hopefully he can have some success in the late summer and fall, but certainly the races that suit his characteristics best will have passed by the time he is healthy.
I guess he can still do the Vuelta along with Vansevenant, and possibly Almeida and Evenepoel. And... Jakobsen :)

Any word on what his status is? He made a brief return, but now isn’t on the start list for Denmark, Poland or the Vuelta? I’m assuming a medical setback? Was really banking on him in the CQ game. That has not gone well…

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Apparently he's also on the list for the WC, that should be a great learning experience for him.
I hope that he won't just be a domestique for Remco in the Italian Autumn classics. Remco has to attack from further out because of his lack of a sprint while Bagioli marks his opponents in the group behind and is the main guy if it all comes together. Then you also have Almeida, who is leaving. According to la Gazzetta Bagioli signing a new contract at DQ is pretty much a done deal, so I could see him and Remco being higher up on the pecking order.

Apparently he's also on the list for the WC, that should be a great learning experience for him.
A spot just freed up with Bettiol announcing that his season's over. Trentin, Moscon and Colbrelli are 100% in. I'd take Nizzolo and Ganna as well. Ballerini would be a good card to play but his shape is a question mark.
So yeah I think bringing Bagioli (and Covi) would be sensible, if anything as a learning experience for future selections.

A spot just freed up with Bettiol announcing that his season's over. Trentin, Moscon and Colbrelli are 100% in. I'd take Nizzolo and Ganna as well. Ballerini would be a good card to play but his shape is a question mark.
So yeah I think bringing Bagioli (and Covi) would be sensible, if anything as a learning experience for future selections.
I don't know if the route suits Covi, I'd consider bringing Zoccarato as a learning experience. He doesn't get to race a lot in the North with Bardiani, but has shown that those kind of races suit him. I also think that he deserves to ride the WC or the EC after his great performance at the Italian NC.

Reactions: SafeBet
I don't know if the route suits Covi, I'd consider bringing Zoccarato as a learning experience. He doesn't get to race a lot in the North with Bardiani, but has shown that those kind of races suit him. I also think that he deserves to ride the WC or the EC after his great performance at the Italian NC.
I believe Covi is quite explosive and likes riding on rough terrain. He was second in the Montalcino stage at the Giro and I remember him doing well in last year's Brabantse Pijl and the Kapelmuur stage in BinckBank. He's not as fast on the line as Bagioli, but he's no Formolo either.
I love Zoccarato but I'm afraid he's bit behind in the talent department at the moment. A couple of years in a Belgian PCT team would sure help him develop further.

Back to Bagioli: he seems to struggle a lot on long climbs and he lacks recovery. He can probably become a very good stage hunter and one day racer though. Best case scenario: Alaphilippe?

I believe Covi is quite explosive and likes riding on rough terrain. He was second in the Montalcino stage at the Giro and I remember him doing well in last year's Brabantse Pijl and the Kapelmuur stage in BinckBank. He's not as fast on the line as Bagioli, but he's no Formolo either.
I love Zoccarato but I'm afraid he's bit behind in the talent department at the moment. A couple of years in a Belgian PCT team would sure help him develop further.

Back to Bagioli: he seems to struggle a lot on long climbs and he lacks recovery. He can probably become a very good stage hunter and one day racer though. Best case scenario: Alaphilippe?
Yeah, he strikes me a lot more as a one day racer/stage hunter type of guy, shorter stage races with an Itt and shorter climbs should also suit him. I'm curious to see how he handles the distance, I hope that he's not just another Ulissi (who is still a very good rider).

Yeah, he strikes me a lot more as a one day racer/stage hunter type of guy, shorter stage races with an Itt and shorter climbs should also suit him. I'm curious to see how he handles the distance, I hope that he's not just another Ulissi (who is still a very good rider).
From what I've seen Bagioli is already a better bike handler than Ulissi and he's not afraid to navigate the peloton to find the right wheel for a sprint. Endurance will determine if he can be a factor in Monuments / other big one day races.

I hope that he won't just be a domestique for Remco in the Italian Autumn classics. Remco has to attack from further out because of his lack of a sprint while Bagioli marks his opponents in the group behind and is the main guy if it all comes together. Then you also have Almeida, who is leaving. According to la Gazzetta Bagioli signing a new contract at DQ is pretty much a done deal, so I could see him and Remco being higher up on the pecking order.
Are you sure for the Worlds? They just released the selection for the European Championship a couple of days ago, i don't think we are going to see the Worlds selection until after that race and half of the list will probably be different.

TRENDING THREADS