• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The annual 'who wins the Tour de France poll' 2020 edition

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins the Tour de France 2020?

• Roglic

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Bernal

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Pinot

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • Pogacar

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Quintana

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Landa

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alaphilippe

• Martinez

• Other

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don´t think Carapaz will even try to contend for the GC. He did not have the climbing legs in Burgos. Crashed in Poland. Was mediocre in Lombardia. Still better than Thomas or Froome but not close to the other GC favorites.
Are posters picking him for a top spot because he is the 2nd in command for Ineos or based on his performance in last years Giro?

Personall I would go...

*** Roglic, Dumoulin
** Bernal, Pinot
*Buchmann, Quintana, Landa

Without the Dauphine crash Roglic would be in a tier of his own. Buchmann would move up to Pinots tier.
I was really impressed with Dumoulins performance in the Dauphine. He was getting better and better with each stage.
Was equally impressed with Buchmanns climbing. The Dauphine climbs did not suit him. Especially the uphill sprints. Wouldn´t be suprised if he is even better on a longer and harder climb.

Not really sure what´s up with Ineos. Feels like the gap between Bernal and Roglic was getting bigger with each stage they raced against each other. Maybe he has back issues, maybe he is over/under trained. I don´t think they can fix it in just one week. Nevertheless Bernal is still last years winner and is at his best in high altitude. If he limits his losses and peaks in the 3rd week he might be able to crack the Jumbo-train

Pinot looks good and I think if he finishes the race without crashing he will be on the podium. Last year he was the best climber in the first two weeks and even though I don´t think he will be able to repeat that performance he will be among the best again.

Quintana and Landa are the best of the rest. Quintana looked as good as ever in february and march and was solid in the Dauphine. Without the injury he probably would rank even higher.
Landa always finds his legs in the high mountains and finally is the sole leader.

I'm not arguing his form is off. It definitely is. If you listen to him his form is worse than Thomas and Froome's form. As much as I'd love to see him win it, it is highly unlikely. However, Kruijswijk may not make the team due to injury. However, I do think this is the first time he's been in a race and not given any star at all for a chance to win. He had stars for his attempt at Flanders.

Well, I don't think his form looked so extremely bad. But with some other's I think you don't exactly know what to make of them. You would not put them high on a list, but you would not completely rule out a huge surprise (people from Mollema to Aru). As Valverde is older than me :p and thereby very old you automatically assume that him not being top notch is not just a question of momentary form but that aging is simply natural. But actually I would put Valverde somewhere between Mollema and Aru.

I'm not arguing his form is off. It definitely is. If you listen to him his form is worse than Thomas and Froome's form. As much as I'd love to see him win it, it is highly unlikely. However, Kruijswijk may not make the team due to injury. However, I do think this is the first time he's been in a race and not given any star at all for a chance to win. He had stars for his attempt at Flanders.
Three things:
  1. I applaud your consistent and vocal support for Valverde, who is certainly a legendary rider and beacon of bald success
  2. I think he is much more likely to win short or lesser events than the Tour at this stage, particularly given his displayed form, but 1 start seems acceptable :)
  3. I edited my post to give him 1 star

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, I don't think his form looked so extremely bad. But with some other's I think you don't exactly know what to make of them. You would not put them high on a list, but you would not completely rule out a huge surprise (people from Mollema to Aru). As Valverde is older than me :p and thereby very old you automatically assume that him not being top notch is not just a question of momentary form but that aging is simply natural. But actually I would put Valverde somewhere between Mollema and Aru.

I thought it was improving and that wasn't as bad as what we saw early in the year. If you listen to him you'd swear he was racing a totally different race than we were watching. Ack, you're making me feel old. I'm older than he is. I'm just a little younger than his oldest brother. Yes aging is natural, but he found his form to get his record Vuelta podium and that podium in the rainbow jersey that he wanted but was afraid to dream of. Now the funny part about everything you said and you'd still put him between Mollema and Aru likely says more about them than him. :laughing:

Three things:
  1. I applaud your consistent and vocal support for Valverde, who is certainly a legendary rider and beacon of bald success
  2. I think he is much more likely to win short or lesser events than the Tour at this stage, particularly given his displayed form, but 1 start seems acceptable :)
  3. I edited my post to give him 1 star

1. Thank you. Although he did fight for years to keep his hair. He seems to have given up on that about 2 or 3 years ago.
  2. I don't disagree. I think that age finally means something when it comes to him.
  3. Thank you.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Valverde has always been older than you, so that argument has no merit ;)

It's hard to make a good prediction with all those crashes and injuries we've had lately, not to mention the matters of double leadership or not in certain teams. Anyway here is my attempt:

1. Egan Bernal: He still has a very strong team around him, with seven helpers who will sacrifice themselves without thinking of their own ranking. The high mountains in the final eight days suit him. I don't think his back problems are very serious.
  2. Primož Roglič: He looked the strongest in the preparation races, but maybe he peaked too early. He might be the strongest in the first two weeks, but fade in the Alps. The "Killer Wasps" can have a really strong train, but Dumoulin could be a moll, thinking of his own chances.
  3. Nairo Quintana: If he gets through the windy stages and if his knee is okay he might be strong in the high mountains. Those are two big ifs however...
  4. Thibaut Pinot: After last year he will be very motivated to break the curse, and he has a strong team. However he didn't look entirely convincing in the Dauphiné, and he's said to have back problems too...
  5. Emanuel Buchmann: I don't think his crash was too serious, but he hasn't made a big impression either. If he finds last year's form back he could finish high again.
  6. Miguel Ángel López: Astana has enough confidence in him to make him sole leader in his first Tour. He will probably be strong in the Alps, but there will also be stages where he loses time.
  7. Mikel Landa: For the first time the "freed" rider is the leader of his Tour team, but he hasn't made a great impression thus far. If he reaches his best shape in time he could have a great third week.
  8. Daniel Martínez: He was great on those short, steep mountains in the Dauphiné, but we don't know if he's ready to ride a GC over three weeks.
  9. Tadej Pogačar: One day after the Tour he will turn twenty-two, so he's probably too young for a podium.
  10. Richie Porte: If he avoids bad luck he should still be good enough for a decent GC. Even at his best a podium seems to optimistic however.
  11. Tom Dumoulin
  12. Richard Carapaz
  13. Bauke Mollema
  14. Guillaume Martin
  15. Julian Alaphilippe
  16. Pello Bilbao
  17. Pierre Latour
  18. Esteban Chaves
  19. Warren Barguil
  20. Marc Soler
  21. Wout Poels
  22. Adam Yates
  23. George Bennett
  24. Sepp Kuss
  25. Pavel Sivakov
  26. Enric Mas
  27. Romain Bardet
  28. Lennard Kämna
  29. Daniel Martin
  30. Ilnur Zakarin
Joker: Alejandro Valverde

Roglic obviously is no. 1 favorite but... there's only one TT which is at the very end of the Tour. For whatever reasons he tends to be quite average in TTs at the end of a hard GT. I'm still not convinced that on a hard multi-mountain stage he can keep up with the likes of Bernal, a healthy Pinot and Quintana version 2.0. But... he has a formidable team which will do their best to control everything.

Bernal, nothing special in the prep races but I think he has the ability to ride into a very good shape towards the end of the Tour, just in time when it matters. Interesting team, no available train and different options with Carapaz might make things more exciting. No 2 favorite.

Dumoulin looks to be coming back to his old self. He has what it takes to win it but also has a teammate named Roglic. I wonder how's his TT nowadays since regardless of the ridiculously small amount of TT Kms , it's quite possible that the time trial at the end will have an impact on the podium. No 3 favorite for me.

Then there's Pinot, Quintana and I'd say Pogacar who can profit from any mishap of the above mentioned favorites.

Reactions: kiszol
Roglic obviously is no. 1 favorite but... there's only one TT which is at the very end of the Tour. For whatever reasons he tends to be quite average in TTs at the end of a hard GT. I'm still not convinced that on a hard multi-mountain stage he can keep up with the likes of Bernal, a healthy Pinot and Quintana version 2.0. But... he has a formidable team which will do their best to control everything.

Bernal, nothing special in the prep races but I think he has the ability to ride into a very good shape towards the end of the Tour, just in time when it matters. Interesting team, no available train and different options with Carapaz might make things more exciting. No 2 favorite.

Dumoulin looks to be coming back to his old self. He has what it takes to win it but also has a teammate named Roglic. I wonder how's his TT nowadays since regardless of the ridiculously small amount of TT Kms , it's quite possible that the time trial at the end will have an impact on the podium. No 3 favorite for me.

Then there's Pinot, Quintana and I'd say Pogacar who can profit from any mishap of the above mentioned favorites.
I think he didn't train TTs that much before the 2018 Tour after he had a rock in his elbow due to a training crash or something. Then there's the 2019 Giro where he was just overall weak in the 3rd weak.

I don't think he has really significant weaknesses in the high moutnains judging by Andorra and Col de Portet and all that stuff. Was probably the best rider in the final Pyreneean stage of 2018.

It's hard to make a good prediction with all those crashes and injuries we've had lately, not to mention the matters of double leadership or not in certain teams. Anyway here is my attempt:

1. Egan Bernal: He still has a very strong team around him, with seven helpers who will sacrifice themselves without thinking of their own ranking. The high mountains in the final eight days suit him. I don't think his back problems are very serious.
  2. Primož Roglič: He looked the strongest in the preparation races, but maybe he peaked too early. He might be the strongest in the first two weeks, but fade in the Alps. The "Killer Wasps" can have a really strong train, but Dumoulin could be a moll, thinking of his own chances.
  3. Nairo Quintana: If he gets through the windy stages and if his knee is okay he might be strong in the high mountains. Those are two big ifs however...
  4. Thibaut Pinot: After last year he will be very motivated to break the curse, and he has a strong team. However he didn't look entirely convincing in the Dauphiné, and he's said to have back problems too...
  5. Emanuel Buchmann: I don't think his crash was too serious, but he hasn't made a big impression either. If he finds last year's form back he could finish high again.
  6. Miguel Ángel López: Astana has enough confidence in him to make him sole leader in his first Tour. He will probably be strong in the Alps, but there will also be stages where he loses time.
  7. Mikel Landa: For the first time the "freed" rider is the leader of his Tour team, but he hasn't made a great impression thus far. If he reaches his best shape in time he could have a great third week.
  8. Daniel Martínez: He was great on those short, steep mountains in the Dauphiné, but we don't know if he's ready to ride a GC over three weeks.
  9. Tadej Pogačar: One day after the Tour he will turn twenty-two, so he's probably too young for a podium.
  10. Richie Porte: If he avoids bad luck he should still be good enough for a decent GC. Even at his best a podium seems to optimistic however.
  11. Tom Dumoulin
  12. Richard Carapaz
  13. Bauke Mollema
  14. Guillaume Martin
  15. Julian Alaphilippe
  16. Pello Bilbao
  17. Pierre Latour
  18. Esteban Chaves
  19. Warren Barguil
  20. Marc Soler
  21. Wout Poels
  22. Adam Yates
  23. George Bennett
  24. Sepp Kuss
  25. Pavel Sivakov
  26. Enric Mas
  27. Romain Bardet
  28. Lennard Kämna
  29. Daniel Martin
  30. Ilnur Zakarin
I like your analysis a lot and pretty much completely agree. I’d just take out Porte cause I think somehow he will fail. Dumoulin could work his way higher the GC if he isn’t forced to be a workhorse the whole time or if others crash/get caught up in bad luck ect.

11. Tom Dumoulin
  12. Richard Carapaz
  13. Bauke Mollema
  14. Guillaume Martin
  15. Julian Alaphilippe
  16. Pello Bilbao
  17. Pierre Latour
  18. Esteban Chaves
  19. Warren Barguil
  20. Marc Soler
  21. Wout Poels
  22. Adam Yates
  23. George Bennett
  24. Sepp Kuss
  25. Pavel Sivakov
  26. Enric Mas
  27. Romain Bardet
  28. Lennard Kämna
  29. Daniel Martin
  30. Ilnur Zakarin

I very much appreciate your post as I can now use it as an orientation to think of my own ranking.

I think I'll go for this: (at the moment, changes by the minute due to my bipolar heart and injuries and sicknesses everywhere)

1. Roglic: He looked clearly the strongest. Best team. Profile fits him like a glove in my opinion. I don't worry about his peak, he was the no1 rider at the end of the last year because he was the best in that year, not just for two weeks. Only thing to worry: his injuries.
  2. Bernal: A little bit of back pain should not hurt too much if you can win the Tour. But what have Ineos done during the break? Have they prepared him well enough? He still (lol, like he's 35) has the quality and a very good, even if not the best, team. With the focus on Jumbo he could even profit if Ineos play it well and react to the situation.
  3. Dumoulin: Has the quality, the team and strategy could be his super-power. PdBF should be his if he wants it.
  4. Pinot: Did not look at his absolute best and his team looks weak for the mountains if Gaudu can't bring it on. Not the no1 for the time trial at the end. But he's strong enough to win. (And he's probably the one who "wants it the most".)
  5. Buchmann: Would need all things to fall into the right place. If Ineos, Jumbo and Pinot eat each other up he could sneak to the win. Best sneaker in the world. Looks so harmless, yet was consistently there in the last Tour and the Dauphiné until his crash. Injuries may have impacted his training, but not too bad. Has Kämna.
  6. López: Very, very explosive and that could be his huge advantage if it is a very controlled race where it's all about some seconds in the end. He would have to be consistent though and needs the others to fail.
  7. Pogacar: Very decently explosive. Can be good in the third weak. Tactics are his. Team does not look too bad. Not one of the top favourites, but not someone I would absolutely rule out. Some snow on the Grand Colombier in September?
  8. Sivakov: Looks actually more like a 2nd Ineos-option to me than Carapaz.
  9. Martin: I don't want to hype him, he's certainly not my no1 favourite. But he was 12th with Wanty. Is in form, no back pains, no knee pains. That's more than can be said of most. Besides I believe in people of his age being in the right age to win something big for the first time.
  10. Martínez: His beard makes him the ideal Alaphilippe of 2020. Meaning yellow for two weaks, then disappearing. His team, in this form, is a liability. (Okay, that's mean.) Otherwise... why not...
  11. Quintana: Who knows what to get from Quintana? Ever?
  12. Landa: I used to be kind of a fan... then I wondered if his teams had their good reasons to never trust him completely as a leader... some guys look great as domestiques, where they can surprise you all the time with their strengths and you won't look too closely when they are not having a great day. Dunno...
  13. Bardet: Did not look great. But certainly looked like he was going in the right direction.

I'm not giving anyone else a chance. You don't know who I am so you can't come to my house and hang up a poster "Haha".

Okay, Joker: Wout van Aert. If Roglic and Dumoulin crash in the first week and this super-team works for super-van Aert and everyone is eating up their next man and nobody looks at this guy who wins two stages, gets bonus seconds, alaphilippes his way through and just does not bonk, this can happen.

I very much appreciate your post as I can now use it as an orientation to think of my own ranking.

I think I'll go for this: (at the moment, changes by the minute due to my bipolar heart and injuries and sicknesses everywhere)

1. Roglic: He looked clearly the strongest. Best team. Profile fits him like a glove in my opinion. I don't worry about his peak, he was the no1 rider at the end of the last year because he was the best in that year, not just for two weeks. Only thing to worry: his injuries.
  2. Bernal: A little bit of back pain should not hurt too much if you can win the Tour. But what have Ineos done during the break? Have they prepared him well enough? He still (lol, like he's 35) has the quality and a very good, even if not the best, team. With the focus on Jumbo he could even profit if Ineos play it well and react to the situation.
  3. Dumoulin: Has the quality, the team and strategy could be his super-power. PdBF should be his if he wants it.
  4. Pinot: Did not look at his absolute best and his team looks weak for the mountains if Gaudu can't bring it on. Not the no1 for the time trial at the end. But he's strong enough to win. (And he's probably the one who "wants it the most".)
  5. Buchmann: Would need all things to fall into the right place. If Ineos, Jumbo and Pinot eat each other up he could sneak to the win. Best sneaker in the world. Looks so harmless, yet was consistently there in the last Tour and the Dauphiné until his crash. Injuries may have impacted his training, but not too bad. Has Kämna.
  6. López: Very, very explosive and that could be his huge advantage if it is a very controlled race where it's all about some seconds in the end. He would have to be consistent though and needs the others to fail.
  7. Pogacar: Very decently explosive. Can be good in the third weak. Tactics are his. Team does not look too bad. Not one of the top favourites, but not someone I would absolutely rule out. Some snow on the Grand Colombier in September?
  8. Sivakov: Looks actually more like a 2nd Ineos-option to me than Carapaz.
  9. Martin: I don't want to hype him, he's certainly not my no1 favourite. But he was 12th with Wanty. Is in form, no back pains, no knee pains. That's more than can be said of most. Besides I believe in people of his age being in the right age to win something big for the first time.
  10. Martínez: His beard makes him the ideal Alaphilippe of 2020. Meaning yellow for two weaks, then disappearing. His team, in this form, is a liability. (Okay, that's mean.) Otherwise... why not...
  11. Quintana: Who knows what to get from Quintana? Ever?
  12. Landa: I used to be kind of a fan... then I wondered if his teams had their good reasons to never trust him completely as a leader... some guys look great as domestiques, where they can surprise you all the time with their strengths and you won't look too closely when they are not having a great day. Dunno...
  13. Bardet: Did not look great. But certainly looked like he was going in the right direction.
I'm not giving anyone else a chance. You don't know who I am so you can't come to my house and hang up a poster "Haha".

Okay, Joker: Wout van Aert. If Roglic and Dumoulin crash in the first week and this super-team works for super-van Aert and everyone is eating up their next man and nobody looks at this guy who wins two stages, gets bonus seconds, alaphilippes his way through and just does not bonk, this can happen.
All in on WvA!

TRENDING THREADS