• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Armitstead doping thread.

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GuyIncognito said:
MartinGT said:
Poor Lizzie is having a mare at the Womens Tour of Britain. About 13mins down on GC, nowhere to be seen.

Yet NOTHING is said about it. Apart from her impressive TDY win, she is far from the explosive and dominate rider from last year before all the missed test stuff came out

Not really. She's climbing better than she ever has in her life and worse in the flatter races as a result.
Which makes sense as this is the only Giro route she'll have a chance to win so she's focusing on it.

Why would she stop doing what she's always done if it's never triggered a positive?

I expect to see her do well today then. She hasnt done anything thus far in the Tour and that's had some decent climbs in it? Surly is she is 'climbing better than she ever has' she would have shown something? She just looks way off at the moment.

I suppose if she is trying to peak for the Giro then she still has a couple of weeks. But last year she was at a peak for most of the season!

That's normal. The best she's ever done in the Giro is 15th back in 2009 when she won the maglia bianca, and for several years it was the only race in the year you'd see her not being her team's preferred option. Admittedly when I saw this year's route and saw how she was climbing in the Ardennes - better than ever for her, since 2014 is the only other time she's even been close to that competitive at Flèche - I thought it would be the best course she will possibly ever have in order to compete for women's cycling's biggest stage race, but her settling into the domestique role there - often dropping off the back of her group to save energy at the end of the day - is not a surprise at all.

Re:

ebandit said:
thanks! LS unlike the mens tour i don't get to see much of the giro rosa

a member above suggested lizzie was saving herself for this race

If you mean me, I said she might be focusing on this race, not saving herself.
As it turned out, she was sick during the british tour (i refuse to use the official name) other than 1 stage.

I certainly expected her to do better at the Giro. Mostly because I expected her to say screw this and ride for herself. But surprisingly she played the good teammate for once.

For those who believe LA received favourable treatment:
Groves, who trains under Michael Bohl on the Gold Coast and has switched her degree to law, spoke confidently and calmly alongside her lawyer Tim Fuller. They challenged the validity of the third strike, insisting Groves was in the designated time and place and WADA testers at her San Diego University campus failed to do enough to locate her.

Groves had always maintained she was in her room waiting for testers, who stopped at the unattended front desk of the building. With no swimmers in sight, they went on their way and filed the breach notice.

FINA agreed. Groves was given the all clear but will remain on two strikes until mid-November.
source

Let's see if the invective here even comes close to that LA produced...somehow I doubt that will happen, though.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Groves, who trains under Michael Bohl on the Gold Coast and has switched her degree to law, spoke confidently and calmly alongside her lawyer Tim Fuller. They challenged the validity of the third strike, insisting Groves was in the designated time and place and WADA testers at her San Diego University campus failed to do enough to locate her.

Groves had always maintained she was in her room waiting for testers, who stopped at the unattended front desk of the building. With no swimmers in sight, they went on their way and filed the breach notice.

FINA agreed. Groves was given the all clear but will remain on two strikes until mid-November.
source

Let's see if the invective here even comes close to that LA produced...somehow I doubt that will happen, though.

Wanting to see more invective over doping athletes. I would've thought there was enough.

Also this is Armistead/Deignan thread not the groves thread. Feel free to start a Groves thread and try and bait some of the wanted invective there.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

source

Wanting to see more invective over doping athletes. I would've thought there was enough.

Also this is Armistead/Deignan thread not the groves thread. Feel free to start a Groves thread and try and bait some of the wanted invective there.
This is perfectly relevant to the LA discussion Benny as it shows that LA's case was nowhere near as unusual as many nutters claimed it was. But do feel free to report it as OT if you're bored.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

source

This is perfectly relevant to the LA discussion Benny as it shows that LA's case was nowhere near as unusual as many nutters claimed it was. But do feel free to report it as OT if you're bored.

I think it has already been discussed quite alot how ineffective WADA and ADA's are never mind National Federations but, Fergy, knock yourself out.

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

source

This is very relevant to the LA thread, especially considering there has been at least 3 cases of Aussie swimmers breaching the whereabouts clause in the last 12 months.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

source

This is very relevant to the LA thread, especially considering there has been at least 3 cases of Aussie swimmers breaching the whereabouts clause in the last 12 months.

Sounds like it needs its own thread or thread title change.

Just help us out here with a little more detail, then we can get the witch hunt motoring.

Did Aus Swimming appoint a "childminder" to look after Groves after she had two strikes ?
Did Groves have time after the third strike notification and before enforcement of suspension, to win the biggest feamle race ever put on by the Aus Federation with attendant publicity and promotion to accompany the, win by the current World Champion on home (soil) water ?
Did Groves never once during this period show that she had the slightest doubt that the sword over her head was going to be removed before it fell ?
When the suspension was enforced, did Groves pull out of the biggest gala for feamle swimmers that year, leaving team-mates to do their own thing, citing that she needed to leave the event to optimise her prparation for the forthcoming Olympics?
When the suspension was enforced, did Goves miss her Nationals gala sending "love you" tweets to the winners saying "wish I could be there but you know what preparing for the pesky Olympics does to your competition program" ?
When the suspension was enforced, did Groves continue to do build up marketing for her book that was going to come out after she won gold in Rio ?
When someone, heaven forbid it being a past employee of her home federation, told Mat Lawton of the Mail that Groves was not "optimising preparation" but rather siting out a silent ban, did Goves cite a "family crisis" as the reason for her third missed strike ?
Did Goves wipe clean her twitter account for the period in question of the "family crisis" ?
Were tweet replies found on other accounts showing that when she should have spent 3 minutes logging onto and updating her whereabouts program she was actually spending time checking through bands to play live at her wedding after she had won gold at Rio.
On the day she did not have time due to the "family crisis", was Groves sending tweets to the band saying pleased to have booked you etc. ?
Did Groves put the blame on the "childminder" being so inconsiderate as to get another job and Aus Swimming not immediately appointing a new "childminder" given how vunerable she was, being a specialy disorganised sort of person ? Wait disorganised ..... er what did she say ?
Did Groves have a boyfriend who was team-mate of the "donkey to racehorse" Chris Froome Aussie swimalike in the days before the wonder transformation ?
Was Groves defence/appeal and costs up to the Court of Arbitration of Sport paid for by Aus Swimming ?

[When it is all written in one place it becomes about as hard to believe as the Jiffy bag contained flumacil.]

Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Just help us out here with a little more detail, then we can get the witch hunt motoring.

Did Aus Swimming appoint a "childminder" to look after Groves after she had two strikes ?
Did Groves have time after the third strike notification and before enforcement of suspension, to win the biggest feamle race ever put on by the Aus Federation with attendant publicity and promotion to accompany the, win by the current World Champion on home (soil) water ?
Did Groves never once during this period show that she had the slightest doubt that the sword over her head was going to be removed before it fell ?
When the suspension was enforced, did Groves pull out of the biggest gala for feamle swimmers that year, leaving team-mates to do their own thing, citing that she needed to leave the event to optimise her prparation for the forthcoming Olympics?
When the suspension was enforced, did Goves miss her Nationals gala sending "love you" tweets to the winners saying "wish I could be there but you know what preparing for the pesky Olympics does to your competition program" ?
When the suspension was enforced, did Groves continue to do build up marketing for her book that was going to come out after she won gold in Rio ?
When someone, heaven forbid it being a past employee of her home federation, told Mat Lawton of the Mail that Groves was not "optimising preparation" but rather siting out a silent ban, did Goves cite a "family crisis" as the reason for her third missed strike ?
Did Goves wipe clean her twitter account for the period in question of the "family crisis" ?
Were tweet replies found on other accounts showing that when she should have spent 3 minutes logging onto and updating her whereabouts program she was actually spending time checking through bands to play live at her wedding after she had won gold at Rio.
On the day she did not have time due to the "family crisis", was Groves sending tweets to the band saying pleased to have booked you etc. ?
Did Groves put the blame on the "childminder" being so inconsiderate as to get another job and Aus Swimming not immediately appointing a new "childminder" given how vunerable she was, being a specialy disorganised sort of person ? Wait disorganised ..... er what did she say ?
Did Groves have a boyfriend who was team-mate of the "donkey to racehorse" Chris Froome Aussie swimalike in the days before the wonder transformation ?
Was Groves defence/appeal and costs up to the Court of Arbitration of Sport paid for by Aus Swimming ?

[When it is all written in one place it becomes about as hard to believe as the Jiffy bag contained flumacil.]
What a remarkable amount of nonsense to shoot down a very simple fact.

Re:

Freddythefrog said:

Great post.
Apparently a couple people still don't get it though.

"I credit the public with enough intelligence to realise that cycling goes beyond one man. It is unfortunate this has happened; the reputation of cycling has been damaged by this."
~ Lizzie Deignan, whose handling of a secret CAS appeal did nothing but burnish cycling's image and whose comments could in no way be influenced by comments made about her own case:
“You get a lot of support from UK Sport. They’re brilliant, actually. They’re on the phone daily. They send you emails, reminders, they’ll put plans in place for you in terms of someone helping you with the whereabouts, so you don’t end up … well, it’s very difficult, then, to go from two to three [missed tests]. And to get three within eight or nine months, there’s no excuse.

“When you’re a professional athlete and you’re a world champion, there’s no excuse, because it’s your career. You’re setting the standard for everybody else, and to say: ‘Cycling wasn’t my priority at that time,’ is ludicrous, because you nearly lost your career over it. That’s just ridiculous. So I can’t fathom how that happened.”

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
"I credit the public with enough intelligence to realise that cycling goes beyond one man. It is unfortunate this has happened; the reputation of cycling has been damaged by this."
~ Lizzie Deignan, whose handling of a secret CAS appeal did nothing but burnish cycling's image and whose comments could in no way be influenced by comments made about her own case:
“You get a lot of support from UK Sport. They’re brilliant, actually. They’re on the phone daily. They send you emails, reminders, they’ll put plans in place for you in terms of someone helping you with the whereabouts, so you don’t end up … well, it’s very difficult, then, to go from two to three [missed tests]. And to get three within eight or nine months, there’s no excuse.

“When you’re a professional athlete and you’re a world champion, there’s no excuse, because it’s your career. You’re setting the standard for everybody else, and to say: ‘Cycling wasn’t my priority at that time,’ is ludicrous, because you nearly lost your career over it. That’s just ridiculous. So I can’t fathom how that happened.”
Revenge is best served cold and all that

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/09/bradley-wiggins-lizzie-armitstead-no-excuse