• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The battles we never got to see

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The general perception was that Contador would take 2 mins + out of Andy in Bordeaux so this probably would only have happened if Contador had lost a minute or 2 on an earlier stage.

AC already lost some time on the cobbles but this just cancelled out Andy's 122nd place in the prologue.

will10 said:
AC already lost some time on the cobbles but this just cancelled out Andy's 122nd place in the prologue.

Which is why i immediately changed the wording to "some other stage";)

Schleck got a minute from the Franks sacrifice. But he would have needed another domestique to throw himself under Contador's wheel, perhaps Jens. Even without the chain drop, people were saying when it was 40 seconds that Schleck needed to attack not Contador, and its probably the reason why Schleck did attack on Port de Bales.

I guess the lost battle in the Tour this year "Froome vs AC vs Nibali" deserves a mention too in this thread.

I'd also like to have seen how Froome would've done against a 2009/2010-Contador, but at that time Froome was already busy enough hangin' on to cars in the Giro.

Heras vs Armstrong in the Vuelta or Tour could have been awesome, if they'd been on different teams. As a measure of how good Armstrong actually was against the best climber of his generation.

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
check 2010 tour de france without the prologue:D

The contrast in Armstrong between 1999-2005 +2009 and 2010 was stark. The crashes, the panic, the abandonment. Looked to me like somebody without the inner confidence of knowing he was a step ahead of the rest. Rightly or wrongly, it came back into my mind watching Froome 2014 compared to 2011-13.

The next three weeks are going to be interesting.

nah lance was just too old, even with all his superior preparation, he wasn't the same. and in 2010 after the myhtical now euskaltel team crashed in him, he decided to freewheel the whole tour

and i still think froomey can blow this tour apart and he could have done the same in le tour

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
He was only a year older than when he stood on the podium in 2009. I don't know. Its just gut feeling that he was markedly different to 2009 and previous years.

Froome? We'll have to see. It'll be interesting to see how much support he gets from his team. They've gone from looking like USPS Mk2 to a near irrelevance.

Re:

The Hitch said:
will10 said:

Which is why i immediately changed the wording to "some other stage";)

Schleck got a minute from the Franks sacrifice. But he would have needed another domestique to throw himself under Contador's wheel, perhaps Jens. Even without the chain drop, people were saying when it was 40 seconds that Schleck needed to attack not Contador, and its probably the reason why Schleck did attack on Port de Bales.

Come on, this is ridiculous. Really, I hope this is a sad attempt at a joke.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Armstrong in the Giro or Vuelta without protection from the UCI, weaker team and more equal preparation levels.

See him go up against Pantani/Heras/Simoni/etc in top shape. He would have cracked in the mountains.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Tour '06 would have been godlike if basso and ullrich were there.

AC, vino and piti (cause of crash) were left out too. Would have been absolutely awesome :D

I don't think '09 contador can compare to pantani, then again we haven't seen much of that contador. We saw only verbier, although it looked he wasn't breathing in the other MTF's.

TRENDING THREADS