• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Best Cyclist Of the Last 5 Years.

Who is the best cyclist of the last 5 years?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah who do you think it is?

It should be between Contador and Cancellara. I put other in it for the fanboy, but it's pretty obvious it's one of the 2.

They've always been on a consitent and on a very high level.

If you think it's someone else then argue why.

I'm gonna go with Contador cause I value GT's higher than Classics although Canc won way more than just that of course :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's see, Boonen won the green jersey in the Tour, 2 Tour stages, 2 Vuelta stages, 4 Monuments and countless of other important one day races like Gent-Wevelgem and E3 Prijs Harelbeke. Yet it's between Contador and Cancellara only?

Anyway, it's Contador though. 7 Grand Tours in 5 years.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Let's see, Boonen won the green jersey in the Tour, 2 Tour stages, 2 Vuelta stages, 4 Monuments and countless of other important one day races like Gent-Wevelgem and E3 Prijs Harelbeke. Yet it's between Contador and Cancellara only?

Anyway, it's Contador though. 7 Grand Tours in 5 years.

I was thinking of putting Boonen in but Canc is on a higher level. The way he wins the classics is superb. He won paris-roubaix, milan-sanremo, vlaanderen. He won I think 7 tour stages.

Olympic champion TT and a medal on the road. He was WC TT 3 times in the last 5 years. Won tour de suisse. And won some stages in the vuelta.

Some small classics aswell.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
I was thinking of putting Boonen in but Canc is on a higher level. The way he wins the classics is superb. He won paris-roubaix, milan-sanremo, vlaanderen. He won I think 7 tour stages.

Olympic champion TT and a medal on the road. He was WC TT 3 times in the last 5 years. Won tour de suisse. And won some stages in the vuelta.

Boonen also won his 3 Roubaix titles in a superb way. Did you see his sprint against Ballan and Cancellara in 2008? He took 30 meters on them!

Time trial WC isn't really worth a Monument. Considering all the bones Boonen has broken last 5 years he's done very well.

His Tour de Suisse title was on a course made for him. Not that much impressed by it to be honest. I'm not saying one is better than the other, they're pretty close and open for debate.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:

It should be between Contador and Cancellara. I put other in it for the fanboy, but it's pretty obvious it's one of the 2.

I'm gonna go with Contador cause I value GT's higher than Classics although Canc won way more than just that of course :D

You put in other for the fanboys, with two other options for your men Alberto and Fabian. OK.

Miburo said:

:über facepalm:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Boonen also won his 3 Roubaix titles in a superb way. Did you see his sprint against Ballan and Cancellara in 2008? He took 30 meters on them!

Time trial WC isn't really worth a Monument. Considering all the bones Boonen has broken last 5 years he's done very well.

His Tour de Suisse title was on a course made for him. Not that much impressed by it to be honest.

Boonen won 2009 with some luck, 2008 and 2011 was superb though.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
will10 said:
You put in other for the fanboys, with two other options for your men Alberto and Fabian. OK.

I'm not a fan of Canc lol

And contador obviously should be an option, it's not me being a fanboy.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:

I vote with Falken: Marianne Vos

In the next few years she will likely show herself to be the best cyclist of all time. She beats Contador and Cancellara hands down.

Some commentators compare her to Eddy Merckx. As a rider, perhaps. But as a person, she comes across as being a class higher than that legend.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
What about Nibali? :D

"The scientific explanation for Vincenzo Nibali's extraordinary descending ability is his large cojones, which lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents."

The first convincing argument as to why men are faster on bikes than women.

TRENDING THREADS