• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Best Cyclist Of the Last 5 Years.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the best cyclist of the last 5 years?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shame this thread is ridiculed because the op only put in 2 riders? COuld be a serious thread if we add Gilbert boonen, Evans, valverde cavendish and Gesink (so the dutchies can vote)

ANyway for me this was alwasy between Cancellara and Contador. FOr a while especially after his epic 2010 season and while he was riding away from everyone on e3 and then rvv in 2011, i thought Cancellara.

But the more i think about it now the clearer the answer shines - The Great One

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Shame this thread is ridiculed because the op only put in 2 riders? COuld be a serious thread if we add Gilbert boonen, Evans, valverde cavendish and Gesink (so the dutchies can vote)

ANyway for me this was alwasy between Cancellara and Contador. FOr a while especially after his epic 2010 season and while he was riding away from everyone on e3 and then rvv in 2011, i thought Cancellara.

But the more i think about it now the clearer the answer shines - The Great One

I was doubting in putting Gilbert and Boonen in the poll but for me Canc and alberto were just the obvious choices.

Didn't think anyone would question that. But oh boy I was wrong lol

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
worst poll ever.............no option for either my dog or myself

Sorry ebandit, but your dog wasn't interested in the slightest. And even if you were in the running, I'd still have to vote for Marianne Vos - though indeed it would have been a tough choice.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
LauraLyn said:
I vote with Falken: Marianne Vos

In the next few years she will likely show herself to be the best cyclist of all time. She beats Contador and Cancellara hands down.

Some commentators compare her to Eddy Merckx. As a rider, perhaps. But as a person, she comes across as being a class higher than that legend.

my girlfriend is considered by some to be a better qb than Peyton Manning. she has a plush chicken and throws her around marvellously!

Boonen:
7 monument victories, and is shared record holder of the two cobbles ones.
WC
Have won the green jersey in TdF, and worn the yellow.
MANY (semi-)classic victories.
Most impressive victories in one year: E-3, RVV, PR and WC

Canc:
4 monument victories, though in 3 different.
4*ITT WC
The active rider with most days in the yellow jersey (?)
Some (semi-) classic victories
Most impressive victories in one year: E-3, RVV, PR and ITT WC

Winner: Boonen

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Boonen:
7 monument victories, and is shared record holder of the two cobbles ones.
WC
Have won the green jersey in TdF, and worn the yellow.
MANY (semi-)classic victories.
Most impressive victories in one year: E-3, RVV, PR and WC

Canc:
4 monument victories, though in 3 different.
4*ITT WC
The active rider with most days in the yellow jersey (?)
Some (semi-) classic victories
Most impressive victories in one year: E-3, RVV, PR and ITT WC

Winner: Boonen

learn to read: LAST 5 YEARS

1.Contador
2.Boonen
3.Cancellera

If Cancellera used his abilities a little better in the Classics he would be ahead of Boonen, but all those podiums after being the clearly stronger rider says something about the way he uses his head.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
woodenswan said:
my girlfriend is considered by some to be a better qb than Peyton Manning. she has a plush chicken and throws her around marvellously!

Lucky guy you are to have such a great girl. And then Peyton Manning no less . . . :rolleyes:

But seeing as we're stuck being on topic here, I still have to go with Marianne Vos.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Also take into consideration that during his first dominant period he gave up two great opportunities at consecutive wins at RVV when Devolder won.

That's true though although he never really gave me a great impression at final of those races but you got a point there.

It would have been easier if i included just for the sake of the fanboys but i still think that Canc and Contador are above the rest in the last 5 years.