• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Best Educated, Most Steadfast Cheerleaders

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Worth noting that print media is in massive decline in the UK, no wonder all the journalists have sold their souls to protect their employment with "PR-generated oven ready copy";

I am in Ireland to address the Irish Press Council’s annual general meeting in a lecture entitled “Have newspapers got a future?”

My theme is that they have no future. Declining circulation figures tell us that people are switching week by week from print to screen. It is simply a matter of time before it becomes unprofitable to continue publishing newsprint papers.

Sales aside, the main problem has been the gradual retreat by the major funders of the press: advertisers. Publishers of local and regional titles have been facing that drama for several years. Nationals, however, have done better... until now.

The news that one of the strongest publishing companies, Daily Mail & General Trust, had to issue a warning to investors after its newspaper division reported a 29% fall in profits should be seen as a landmark moment.

Space in newsprint papers can be filled. The end result is something that looks like a paper, but the content lacks any real value. It is not journalism. It is pointless material without any public benefit.

Keep in mind the scenario outlined by Nick Davies in Flat Earth News about “churnalism”, a mixture of agency stories and PR-generated “oven-ready copy”. It will get much worse as newsroom numbers are reduced.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/may/27/suddenly-national-newspapers-are-heading-for-that-print-cliff-fall

Sun records drop in circulation of 10%, with Guardian reporting biggest fall among quality titles and a 10% average decline across all Sunday titles

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/10/national-daily-newspapers-lose-more-than-half-a-million-readers-in-past-year

No wonder Walsh is trying to cash in whilst he can... ships ahoy! :rolleyes:

Re:

Digger said:
Floyd's words on Walsh now being in the marijuana business are perfect.

But the implication that it's about the colour of one's passport is erroneous. Walsh has always had a thing for doctors. Call it a faith in a form of pseudoscience. If doctors tell him something is good, he wants to believe in their goodness.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
One hand washes the other, like it has always been.

I stopped annoying to 'journalists' a while ago when I discovered I know so much more about the sport, and the dopings off course, then people who are being payed to write about it.

I can only smile when I read toilet reading material by the Walshes, Gallaghers, Hoods, Neill whats his name.

I only sometimes like pieces of Shane the Irish bloke to be frank.

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Digger said:
Floyd's words on Walsh now being in the marijuana business are perfect.

But the implication that it's about the colour of one's passport is erroneous. Walsh has always had a thing for doctors. Call it a faith in a form of pseudoscience. If doctors tell him something is good, he wants to believe in their goodness.

you wrote a piece a good bit ago along the lines of walsh hasn't changed in his stance on sky - it was actually his stance on lance which was the exception - you then went through walsh's pieces from the time of Kelly testing positive to now. Was an eye opener and well worth a read.

Re: Re:

Digger said:
you wrote a piece a good bit ago along the lines of walsh hasn't changed in his stance on sky - it was actually his stance on lance which was the exception

That was not about Sky. It was written before The Fall, when people round here turned on anyone who criticised Walsh and accused them of being a stooge for Lance Armstrong.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ross Tucker now with a response to an email from Syed.
Absolutely brilliant from Ross.
Subtly exposing Syed as a fraudulous soldout cheerleader, without using those words of course, but inequivocally nonetheless.
Big respect.
Syed getting his pants pulled down.
Knock out in the second round.

Re:

sniper said:
Ross Tucker now with a response to an email from Syed.
Absolutely brilliant from Ross.
Subtly exposing Syed as a fraudulous soldout cheerleader, without using those words of course, but inequivocally nonetheless.
Big respect.
Syed getting his pants pulled down.
Knock out in the second round.

Fraudulous? Inequivocally? I guess now we know what George Bush is up to.

Question: what's the take on journalists writing rider's autobiographies and still commenting on that rider? Some who do write these books make a thing of not talking about that rider, others have no such qualms. Should they have to disclose their relationship whenever they write about the rider?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Question: what's the take on journalists writing rider's autobiographies and still commenting on that rider? Some who do write these books make a thing of not talking about that rider, others have no such qualms. Should they have to disclose their relationship whenever they write about the rider?
it's a good question.
imo, yes, they shuold either (a) disclose their relationship when they write about the athlete in question or (b) not write about the athlete in question. In fact that should be obvious. But the ethical standards in present-day journalism are so incredibly low that it's not obvious.
Compared to average scientific writings (that's excluding pseudo...i mean sports science), ethical standards in sports journalism are practically non-existent.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
You know, there is cheerleading on both sides of the debate. It's just that we tend to overlook the cheerleaders in our own ranks.

No. This - "both sides are equal" stuff won't fly here.

First of all, both sides cannot be right. Either doping is really powerful, or it isn't and any nobody can ride faster clean than on EPO just by "focusing" and "training harder".

In any case, in the current doping in cycling debate, one group has plenty of people who are for free speech and are willing to debate and consider every view point. They consider every point of discussion, explain exactly why they believe what they believe

The other side has 0 people who are willing to have a debate. People like Brailsfraud, walsh flat out refuse anything but a monologue. That's the only discussion format which allows them to claim "we made cycling clean" "we train harder than anyone else" or "everyone is now accepting our point of view" unchallenged.

To compare people like Tucker with Walsh is dishonest

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sean Ingle of Guardian tweeted

Sean Ingle ‏@seaningle 36m36 minutes ago

Norweigan man(Journalist sic) says to Bolt: "I don't really have a question I just want to say I really love you man." Then breaks into a rap. Most applaud.

:rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Declan Lynch

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/declan-lynch/the-vast-illusion-of-the-fivering-circus-in-rio-34963369.html

They are obliged to tell us their "stories", describing how they made these massive improvements due to "marginal gains", and advances in sports science in general, and because they just want it more than the other guys. And they are probably astonished that grown-up people are actually believing this stuff, or that they want to believe it, not all of them, but enough of them to sustain the notion that yes, it's all about "marginal gains" and advances in sports science and wanting it more than the other guys.

TRENDING THREADS