• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

• Cancellara

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dazed and Confused said:
so according to this Evans is a better cyclist than Contador?

Maybe not for this stupid ranking (De Vlaeminck only #15:rolleyes:).

But in my mind, there's not even the shadow of a doubt.

Evans is a true full time racer from March to October, while Clenbutador is just racing for 50 days a year before sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun. Besides, he does not belong here but to the Clinic. Thank you. :eek:

Echoes said:

Evans is a true full time racer from March to October, while Clenbutador is just racing for 50 days a year before sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun. Besides, he does not belong here but to the Clinic. Thank you. :eek:

Alberto races from January/February till the end of July. That's not 50 days.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Pro-Boonen: 3xRVV, 4xPR, 1xWC RR, green jersey

Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT 1xMS

main differences:
Boonen +2Rvv, +2PR, WC, green jersey

Cancellara +MSR, 4TT WC + olympic TT

People can argue MSR is nearly a WC. But how can people argue TT WC is the same as winning a Monument??? not so many years ago their wasn't even an TT WC.

The rest, Tour de Suisse, 3x Gent-Wevelgem is peanuts anyway compared to their best wins.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT and 3th in RR, 2xE3, 1xMS, 1xTDS, 1xTA, stages vuelta, 8 stages Tdf (btw a lot of days in yellow).

Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest ;)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Matthijs said:
Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest ;)

We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

And going by the poll, I think we have a clear winner ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

Yeah, but Bush also got re-elected if we're going by the polls.

Anyway I'm not voting because I have a biased opinion. I don't really care about time trials, I grew up on one day races and the Grand Tours. I don't even think a WC TT is half as important as a WC RR.

El Pistolero said:
Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.

Also better than 4x WC tt?

Cancellara could also have won some more classics if not for his bad luck
:)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bushman said:
Also better than 4x WC tt?

Cancellara could also have won some more classics if not for his bad luck
:)

Having only one tactic is not bad luck.

Granted, that doesn't account for this year, but it does for 2011. Cancellara's injury list is ten times smaller than Boonen's.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

yeah, and Levi leipheimer is the greatest cyclist if you take polls here on cyclingnews seriously.

But come on guys, I can understand that if you consider Boonen from 2009-2012 that it is equal. But Boonens results untill 2008 where so outstanding.
The intro says its about all their active years. I can imagine people are more fan of Cancellara. But to say he's overall better because he:
-can win TT's
-can win stages by TT away from the peloton
-can win classics by TT away from a smaller group
This year shows clearly his lack of tactic skills. He has no ability to win in any other way.

Vino's win on Champs Elyssees is still not repeated by Cancellara. That would be a magnificent ride.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Not with a 90% majority ;)

As usual a nonssensical argument from you though.

There weren't 90% white people. ;)

I would say determining who is better by a poll result makes less sense than my argument.

I could make a poll on a forum to determine which game is better: COD or Metroid Prime. I know which game would get the most votes and that game is crap. ;)

Echoes said:

Evans won the TdF '11 racing only 57 days that year. This year he raced 52 days. Next year he will race about the same would be my guess. Looks like Evans is adopting the race light model. Wonder why.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Evans won the TdF '11 racing only 57 days that year. This year he raced 52 days. Next year he will race about the same would be my guess. Looks like Evans is adopting the race light model. Wonder why.

The only reason he's done that, is since he won the Tour, he didn't have full motivation like he had before his TdF victory. I already expected his poor Tirreno and Romandie this year. Riders like Evans need a good base level to end the season with. And only because he put an early end to his 2011 season, his condition was weak. He couldn't get his engine going until around June and he also caught some infections as a result. Evans and Cancellara could be having even worse seasons next year than they had this year due to lack of racing.

El Pistolero said:
I would say determining who is better by a poll result makes less sense than my argument.

Debatable ;)

But yes just because a large majority of people believe something doesn't mean that they are right. I havent seen anyone claim that is the case though. Gloin was just ribbing you that most people disagree with you.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Debatable ;)

But yes just because a large majority of people believe something doesn't mean that they are right. I havent seen anyone claim that is the case though. Gloin was just ribbing you that most people disagree with you.

Gloin wasn't even talking to me and he was implying that Cancellara was better just because a poll is saying so. ;)

In fact, I haven't actually joined this debate much, I just had to respond when someone said Boonen was just cobbles.

I've come to realize people have a short-time memory here.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, results of the poll are clear.
But world title in the road race is what's Cancellara missing, and MSR victory is Boonen's minus.
On the other hand, Green jersey is something Cancellara certainly won't accomplish, just like Boonen will never get a significant tt victory.
Classics are their battlefield and they can only be compared on that basis.
Also, Cancellara is priceless member of the team in every race he starts, and Boonen is a lot smarter cyclist.
I like Boonen more, but would prefer Cancellara in my team.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.

Without his magic powder he's of quit if it wasn't for the cobbles, I bet he'd trade any of that (if he had done it) for another cobbled classic, if only one.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Matthijs said:
main differences:
Boonen +2Rvv, +2PR, WC, green jersey

Cancellara +MSR, 4TT WC + olympic TT

People can argue MSR is nearly a WC. But how can people argue TT WC is the same as winning a Monument??? not so many years ago their wasn't even an TT WC.

The rest, Tour de Suisse, 3x Gent-Wevelgem is peanuts anyway compared to their best wins.

We're not talking about a single TT WC, but four + Olympic Gold.

And Suisse and T-A are WT hilly stage race, something that Boonen will never win.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wigwan said:
We're not talking about a single TT WC, but four + Olympic Gold.

And Suisse and T-A are WT hilly stage race, something that Boonen will never win.

2008 T-A was not WT.

Nor was it a very hard edition. Freire also won a T-A once.

You get to wear a rainbow jersey on the road more in one year than 4 years of a TT WC jersey.

TRENDING THREADS