• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
Euh 3 months ago ;)

So If one guy wins 5 Gt's and no real big classic. And another guy wins 1 Gt and 1 time LBL, makes that him a better overall rider than the other one? :eek:

Yes people Andy Schleck is overall better than Contador :D

Oh and also Valverde. Valverde is cool though.

Vino is then also better, not really a surprise there I guess lol

Schleck vs Contador poll then? - Perhaps not:D
Schleck vs Evans poll might have been a bit fairer though IMO.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Contador is right now top 3 mentally toughest riders in the peloton.

He really grew mentally.

Maybe even nr.1

for what your polles are created then. Need extra self-actualization? toughest, smartest, strongest ---> others have no chance. Do you really need any polls, having your special mental toughness meter?

ah, Contador is for kids... :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
for what your polles are created then. Need extra self-actualization? toughest, smartest, strongest ---> others have no chance. Do you really need any polls, having your special mental toughness meter?

ah, Contador is for kids... :D

I'm giving you some bait to troll, that's why ;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
I'm giving you some bait to troll, that's why ;)

Trolling is an exclusive patrimony of Contador fanboys who write using principle 'I see what I like and I don't what to know anything I dislike'. I'm just a peaceful outsider..

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Trolling is an exclusive patrimony of Contador fanboys who write using principle 'I see what I like and I don't what to know anything I dislike'. I'm just a peaceful outsider..

Well man that profile pic of yours is annoying after all :rolleyes:

CAS aside, Contador has almost as many GT wins as Evans has GT fails.
Cuddles's time trialing is way overrated, here, presumably the memory of the 2011 Tour and all that.

A better one day rider, but that's about it.

Hadn't realised the forum has nearly 20 Aussie members.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Cuddles's time trialing is way overrated, here, presumably the memory of the 2011 Tour and all that.

A better one day rider, but that's about it.

Hadn't realised the forum has nearly 20 Aussie members.

Yeah, people here tend to be stuck on certain memories of more recent events. I agree with your conclusion, he's a better one day rider and it would be a toss-up between them on a short uphill finish, but that's about it.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, people here tend to be stuck on certain memories of more recent events..

Well tbh I would rather judge Bradley Wiggins on his 2012 performances than his 2009 performances..Same goes for Purito and a host of other riders..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Well tbh I would rather judge Bradley Wiggins on his 2012 performances than his 2009 performances..Same goes for Purito and a host of other riders..

If you're judging someone's overall capabilities you have to look at every year of his pro career.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Being consistent over many years is much more impressive than one good year. I can assure you that.

Totally irrelevant in this case though. It is not like Wiggins has been consistent over many years, but I take his form on face value..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Totally irrelevant in this case though. It is not like Wiggins has been consistent over many years, but I take his form on face value..

I fail to see how it's irrelevant? Wiggins won in a year without Contador, Andy Schleck and Samuel Sanchez. His biggest threat was his own team-mate for crying out loud.

In the time trials, both Cancellara and Martin were constantly plagued by bad luck this season.

Mellow Velo said:

A better one day rider, but that's about it

It's not just recent years why we rate his TT. 2002 Commonwealth Games TT, beating Mick Rogers, 2006 Romandie TT, jumping over both AC and Piti on the final stage TT, 2007 Tour winning stage 13 after Vino was caught, 2007 Tour final TT where he gained about 90 sec on AC but not enough to overcome his tactical errors in the Pyrenees. In 2009 and 2010 Evans was not at his best for various reasons.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
It's not just recent years why we rate his TT. 2002 Commonwealth Games TT, beating Mick Rogers, 2006 Romandie TT, jumping over both AC and Piti on the final stage TT, 2007 Tour winning stage 13 after Vino was caught, 2007 Tour final TT where he gained about 90 sec on AC but not enough to overcome his tactical errors in the Pyrenees. In 2009 and 2010 Evans was not at his best for various reasons.

You have no problem comparing a 23-24 year old Contador to an Evans in full prime I see.

Tactical errors? Is that what you guys call getting dropped hard on a mountain?

Contador is much younger than Evans and he already won 6 more GTs than him.

El Pistolero said:
You have no problem comparing a 23-24 year old Contador to an Evans in full prime I see.

Tactical errors? Is that what you guys call getting dropped hard on a mountain?

Contador is much younger than Evans and he already won 6 more GTs than him.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Getting dropped hard on a mountain? We'll since AC has never been that strong since and we all know the answer to that lies in the clinic and was mentioned in other threads.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Getting dropped hard on a mountain? We'll since AC has never been that strong since and we all know the answer to that lies in the clinic and was mentioned in other threads.

Contador went on to win 6 GTs after that. What did Evans do after his Tour win? Perhaps you should take that to the clinic. ;)

El Pistolero said:
Evans is not better most of the time. And why would you even compare them on MTB? Road racing forum and neither of them are doing MTB anymore on a professional level... And like I said, any comparison on cobbles is idiotic. They only met on cobbles once and Contador got taken out by a clumsy crash before the real cobbles had started. Both Evans and Contador would get owned in Paris-Roubaix anyway.

Ok but the MTB part was in the OP. I never stressed the MTB-we all know the answer. You are right about the cobbles.

TRENDING THREADS